As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Skyforge - New MMORPG by Allods Team and Westernization by Obsidian

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    This is the entire point of an open beta, this right here. Anyone (internal or external) mad about it doesn't understand the process.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I'm disappointed, but I'm still fine with it. I just want to play more, but I'm always willing to take breaks for playing better! DOWN WITH LAG!

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    @Blain Trove is kinda fun to mess around with for a few hours here or there.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Blain wrote: »
    Ah. IT folks scrambling like mad while one or more executives tap their watch(es) and remind the IT folks how much money the company is losing. Adding stress is helping! Good times.

I'm checking out a lot of action MMOs lately to see what might be fun to co-op with a friend, so when this is down I just jump over to Tera or Vindictus. Is there anything else I should look into while Skyforge's servers / queues are jacked up?
    I'd say ESO is worth a look too (for an action-based MMO). It's a little more MMO-ey with respect to story and and less run-and-gun, and if you're and Elder Scrolls single-player fan you'll probably hate it immediately, but it's a fun game. I think it's like $15 these days too.

26904.png
    Stupid wrote: »
    Ah. IT folks scrambling like mad while one or more executives tap their watch(es) and remind the IT folks how much money the company is losing. Adding stress is helping! Good times.

I'm checking out a lot of action MMOs lately to see what might be fun to co-op with a friend, so when this is down I just jump over to Tera or Vindictus. Is there anything else I should look into while Skyforge's servers / queues are jacked up?
    I'd say ESO is worth a look too (for an action-based MMO). It's a little more MMO-ey with respect to story and and less run-and-gun, and if you're and Elder Scrolls single-player fan you'll probably hate it immediately, but it's a fun game. I think it's like $15 these days too.

This was accurate, for me.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Stupid wrote: »

This was accurate, for me.

On the other hand, I've been a die-hard single-player Elder Scrolls fan since Daggerfall and I love ESO. It's not another single-player game, but it's definitely Elder Scrolls, and it's pretty damn great now (though it did get off to a rocky start).

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Servers up, logging in now.

Yeah, full disclosure my only experience with it was in the beta just before launch. It wasn't specifically the content or anything that turned me off of it, but me just absolutely having negative interest in playing a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game. If it's better now then that's great.

• SiernanSiernan Registered User regular
    Servers are up! Only number 1k in the queue! :sad:

Got in and made my character, noodled around a bit through up to just after the factory. I'm enjoying it so far. The aesthetic is nice, the story seems somewhat interesting, and i'm having fun with the Cryomancer.

I'll definitely keep at it. My character is Olivie Lemaire if we have any community stuff going on.

• BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I had just been playing the game, not thinking much about my progression path, but apparently it's kind of easy to gimp yourself according to this video by Fevir. Credit to Azzurri in the NeoGAF Skyforge thread for finding the video.

TL;DW
    Depending on the stats you increase, harder content will unlock before you're really ready to tackle it. People who are finding the game getting much harder around 3k prestige may have stat allocation issues.
    If you're playing DPS, Fevir recommends Strength (which he claims is twice as effective as Might), Luck, and Valor for fastest progression.

EDIT: Hrmm. TharpDaddy on GAF pointed out that there's contradictory stuff with regards to Might.
    I'm just gonna keep playing and move back to easier content if I find myself dying a lot, which works on both balance problems and me being bad at a game. :)

Blain on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    What was the process of getting an invite to the clan/guild/thing?

What is this I don't even.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    One thing that really surprises me about the game (especially being F2P) is the general quality of player names.

There are still dumb names of course, but the majority of people I've grouped with have had solid names.

And that is easily one of the most mind blowing things about the game.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I had just been playing the game, not thinking much about my progression path, but apparently it's kind of easy to gimp yourself according to this video by Fevir. Credit to Azzurri in the NeoGAF Skyforge thread for finding the video.

TL;DW
    Depending on the stats you increase, harder content will unlock before you're really ready to tackle it. People who are finding the game getting much harder around 3k prestige may have stat allocation issues.
    If you're playing DPS, Fevir recommends Strength (which he claims is twice as effective as Might), Luck, and Valor for fastest progression.

EDIT: Hrmm. TharpDaddy on GAF pointed out that there's contradictory stuff with regards to Might.
    I'm just gonna keep playing and move back to easier content if I find myself dying a lot, which works on both balance problems and me being bad at a game. :)
    I disagree on Valor. I think Valor is a useless stat.

Valor increases your "bonus" damage. A portion of your Bonus Damage is added in to EVERY hit, scaled based on the health of the thing you are attacking. The more health your opponent has, the larger the portion of Bonus Damage is added. Since it is added in on every hit (and not just some of them like Critical and Impluse) this can be very significant in a very long fight with high-health or very defensive opponents. In all cases, Valor and Bonus Damage are pure DPS boosts that apply mostly in the first half of the fight and taper off at the end.

The problem is that even by pushing Valor as much as you can, the overall Bonus Damage value is still really low. Like, single-digits low. And you're only even getting that much (per hit) when the opponent is at full health! Yeah, it could add up over time, but I'd prefer to not be hacking away for 10 minutes in order to get the most out of my Bonus Damage.

I've been pushing Spirit for the Impulse Damage bonus. What is Impulse Damage? First, Impulse is the lightning bolt symbol right above the dodge meter. This is your Impulse Charge. Impulse Charge builds up over time, just like the dash/dodge meter, but it has a maximum capacity of one (can be expanded later). I think it recharges every 5 or 6 seconds, but it might be as much as 10 seconds by default - I'm also stacking Impulse recharge, so mine is faster than normal.

Any skill that has the text "Activates Impulse Charge" will do Impulse Damage in addition to base+bonus+crit. When you use these skills, they add 100% of Impulse Damage to that hit. Impulse hits are flagged with a lightning bolt on the damage number (Crits have a little star next to them). If this is an AE ability it will apply that Impulse Damage to ALL hits. Just like crits, this is not variable, it is fixed. The difference is, you can choose when to use this and which ability to trigger it on.

For example, the Paladin shield crash (L L L R) is an impulse hit. When charged, I'm seeing AE hits just a bit shy of 1000 to everything around me. It's pretty much is a one-shot trashmob clear. Similarly, the fast swipe (L R) is an impulse ability, plus it does 150% additional damage to opponents above 80% health (from a trait). With some minimal timing effort, I can add in Impulse Damage for an alpha strike if my opponent is almost full health. I _have_ seen this one top well over 2000hp, and it can take a non-trash MOB from full health to 20% in a single swing. (Not bosses, obviously.)

The "over time" effect of both of these stats is probably pretty close to equal. So if you look at it from a pure raiding TTK standpoint, they both are pretty much the same. But in general play, burst damage has a much larger impact than sustained damage.

TL;DR: Valor applies a tiny tiny bonus to every hit. Spirit applies a huge bonus to specific hits that you can control.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    @Axen In my own experience, the quality of players is much better early in any game's life. Only people who care a lot about games even know the thing exists. Once the advertising and word of mouth spreads, the ratio of people less interested in the game itself rises.

@Stupid Absolutely go with your own experience over Fevir or anyone else's theory crafting, especially this early in the game's life.

Blain on
    @Axen @Aistan i'm playing right now, if you need an invite either post here and i'll try to check back often, or message me ingame on Sidaltus Veirn.

n1woEHJ.png
    I'm on as Lonenut and would like an invite.

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm on as Lonenut and would like an invite.

Need first and last name, send me a tell ingame. <3

n1woEHJ.png
    edited July 2015
    Hey, I'm more of a lurker than a poster here on the forums, but I wouldn't mind joining y'all in game. My in game name is Siernan Telathos

Siernan on
  • CF1CF1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Cray Flail, if there's room. I'm either spamming you or not sending messages correctly.

Edit: Thanks! I'll read back and see if there is something guildwise/missionwise I should be doing.

CF1 on
    Its not sending right, ill add you both now.

n1woEHJ.png
    Thanks for the add!

@CorriganX I completely forgot everything about naming in this, and I can't seem to figure out how to whisper you. But I'm on as Umarth Suneater I guess.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    on one hand..i habitually avoid any software from Russia because reasons

on the other hand, obsidian entertainment is a legit company.

on the other other hand, its also f2p

on the other other other hand it doesn't look like its on steam.

on the other other other other hand, I really don't need another mmo-type game to distract me from my backlog

on the other other other other other hand, it looks really really awesome

...I need more hands goddamnit.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Does anybody know how the grouping limitations work in this? At 600 prestige I wasn't able to group with a friend who had 760 and that just feels wrong. I'm also not completely clear on how repeatable the various solo missions and/or regions are - do you only get crap currencies if you re-do them or is there some sort of cooldown after which they give out the good stuff again or how it all works?

@Mirkel The amount you receive goes up as your Prestige does. As for the grouping thing, you CAN group with them. Just fine. Group up in the hub, have them launch a solo mission. It'll yoink you in with them. This is actually how it's possible to power level people.

@Buttcleft The Allods team are pretty good dudes, Allods Online was an awesome WoW-like game with even cooler undead and imperial orcs. So far this game has been good, especially now that they beefed up their hardware.

Arthil wrote: »
    @Buttcleft The Allods team are pretty good dudes, Allods Online was an awesome WoW-like game with even cooler undead and imperial orcs. So far this game has been good, especially now that they beefed up their hardware.

yeah I'm weak and stupid and pathetic and started installing it about 5 minutes after my last post.

Takes no time at all to download, good compression, and it's free so why not.

Takes no time at all to download, good compression, and it's free so why not.

its still 10gigs and I guess they are being hammered cause I'm only getting like 1.5MB/s

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    @Mirkel The amount you receive goes up as your Prestige does. As for the grouping thing, you CAN group with them. Just fine. Group up in the hub, have them launch a solo mission. It'll yoink you in with them. This is actually how it's possible to power level people.

So the higher level guy needs to do the launching? I tried it as the lower level guy and the game didn't let me.

Mirkel wrote: »
    Does anybody know how the grouping limitations work in this? At 600 prestige I wasn't able to group with a friend who had 760 and that just feels wrong. I'm also not completely clear on how repeatable the various solo missions and/or regions are - do you only get crap currencies if you re-do them or is there some sort of cooldown after which they give out the good stuff again or how it all works?
    The solution is to form a group, and then have the LOWER prestige person choose the mission and difficulty, then enter as "solo". (That last part is important.) "Solo" just means that the matchmaker wont try to find anyone else. It will ask the higher prestige person to enter and you just Accept. (If you decline it actually disbands you from the group.)

The catch is that if the disparity is too large, the higher prestige person gets ZERO REWARDS. Not even a consolation door-prize or a few gold. Zip. Zero. Nada. Zilch. Nothing. Not even a laurel and hearty handshake.

Luckily, that gap seems to be quite wide. I'm able to group with my wife and still get rewards and we are 1200 prestige apart.

26904.png
    If you see random messages from me pop up in clan, and it looks like you're missing 85% of the conversation, its because 3/4 of my goddamn messages arent going through. Its infuriating. I'm having two problems,

1. some messages just don't show up whatsoever. Me or the guild can't see them

2. Sometimes my messages pop up for me, but dont actually show up for guild members.

I dont even know how the fuck its working now. So I'm not ignoring you, or being anti social, i just literally cannot respond. I still <3 at your face. Don't worry.

n1woEHJ.png
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So I'm sad that I missed the founder stuff, because the Gunner class looks awesome. Stuck with Cryomancer for now.

Is this a game where you can belong to multiple guilds?

Char is Talen Stark.

Mirkel wrote: »

So the higher level guy needs to do the launching? I tried it as the lower level guy and the game didn't let me.

Er well, no. Other way around. Like everything I hear is the lower leveled guy chooses the highest difficulty they can. Wonder why it doesn't work for you.

edited July 2015
    Axen wrote: »
    One thing that really surprises me about the game (especially being F2P) is the general quality of player names.

There are still dumb names of course, but the majority of people I've grouped with have had solid names.

And that is easily one of the most mind blowing things about the game.

Worst name I've seen is Phux Urmom

edit
    I hate games that go "Heres your reward BUT IF YOU HAD PREMIUM YOU COULD HAVE HAD THI FABULOUS BONUS PRICE "

Buttcleft on
    Well I got around 19 days of premium between the 7 I'd gotten and the free 14.

Also, I still got that spare code from one of those sites if someone wants a free 14 days of premium plus some other goodies.

So in the span of about 30 minutes I got all the bonuses from a straight week of logging in.

Also, god this game is pretty. Group combat can be kinda chaotic, but god is it pretty.

Negative points for having tit and ass sliders, and jiggle physics, but that kinda stupidity is so overcommon now that I've built up a tolerance.

Yeah the weekly login bonus has been odd... It's also only ONE week. Though having all that stuff front-loaded would be handy.

• ky13ky13 Registered User regular
    booyah mother fuckers!

ecxfwP5.png

Eternity_Sky-banner-4.png
    Hey, it's me, Teldra! Did someone say "greatsword"? [Eternity]