As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Traditions

2»

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Alazull wrote: »
    valdor wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Solelron wrote: »
    I have 2 that kinda fall for me and the wife, and they are pretty cheesy
    1) she wants one ride on the monorail. its simple and fun
    2) Dicks Burgers. *shrugs* :)

There's really nothing like a big bag of Dicks.
    valdor wrote: »
    peetsnack wrote: »
    My PAX is not complete without spotting the Carl Brutananadilewski cosplayer. Fucking love that guy.

I usually see him for the TWTD and then randomly through the weekend. He is an awesome guy for sure. So I guess the TWDT would be my tradition at PAX. Not sure what I will do this year with it being gone

You're making some bold assumptions there sir.

Well I know that it is being replaced with something else, but since it will be is is still going to be the TWDT?? Or something else. Ill still go as long as it is the same group of people.

Okay, I want you to picture this...

Instead of going dressed like wizards, we can go looking like people from Road Warrior.

It still is a huge bar crawl with a bunch of PAXers and all donations go to charity. So it'll be fun. Still remember the year I went and tricked the Slytherins into selling me their house pin. It made sense to my drunken self but later I realized that meant I helped them beat Gryffindor.

You can also go as a post-apoc wizard, we have two teams dedicated to those! Don't put those robes away just yet cause The Broken Wands still have room!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My traditions have all been community based. The PAX Assassin's game run by @MarsChelios is ALWAYS a great time, and the Pre-PAX Pubcrawl! 7 years of Harry Potter, now shifting into MAD PAX!! I can't wait!

And yes, if you're still of the Wizarding mind, join the Broken Wands! Let us ride eternal, shiny & chrome!!

daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • Options
    nil8rnil8r SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm local, but my traditions include:
    1. Attend with SO, now fiancé, as it's our annual "stay-cation" - include day before/after in vacation time off
    2. Acquire breakfast crepes at Voilà. Eat at Blue C.
    3. Acquire forum badge
    4. Attend a few panels/events together (e.g. acquisitions inc.) then break off and do our own thing.
    5. Participate in D&D and/or MtG events
    6. Do at least one thing/event I haven't done in previous years (not counting panels)
    7. 3DS lounge and street pass time
    8. Bonus: hotel room at least one night

--Mel

signature.png
  • Options
    RowwieRowwie CanadaRegistered User regular
    For my fiancé it's not PAX without going to Six Arms to get corn dogs... For me it's going to Triwizard then getting up the next morning to head off to the keynote, Q&A, then Rooster Teeth panels all in succession on the first day but that was disrupted last year since the panels weren't the same. Q&A and Rooster Teeth were on different days and the Q&A was a totally different format. And now Triwizard is Mad Max themed :(
    Not sure what my tradition, besides going to Prime..., is any more!

Prime 2011- Vintage Nintendo
    Prime 2012- Melisandre (GoT)
    Prime 2013- Regular nerd attire
    Prime 2014- Aurin Esper from WIldstar + Vintage Chell
    Prime 2015- Splatoon Inkling + Dream Sequence Bee + Aurin Esper + Vintage Chell
    Prime2016- Handmade nerdy dresses (cosplay break)

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Tradition for me has been doing the beer exchange, getting drunk Thursday night @ Triwizard then tirelessly looking out for others in the Buttoneering exchange. The rest is rather fluid in terms of what I decide to do.

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    ShivinShivin OregonRegistered User regular
    At least one meal at The Cheesecake Factory....for the last 7 years.

r3a9obz7nxdg.png
  • Options
    jhangel77jhangel77 OlympiaRegistered User regular
    We always like to go to Saley's on Olive Way (the crepe/hamburger place) for most of our meals . Also, this is not necessarily a tradition AT PAX, but every year we get the excitement/butterflies in our stomach as we read stuff about PAX and it grows closer and closer.

Extremely lucky PAX Prime Veteran

k9p7ard7bbdt.png

"The couple who plays together, stays together."
  • Options
    ShivinShivin OregonRegistered User regular
    Oh, I forgot! Skee-ball and Air Hockey at Gameworks....every year!

r3a9obz7nxdg.png
  • Options
    kalanikalani Straight Edge O.G Edmonds WARegistered User regular
    Go to the Daily Grill for their breakfast buffet and lunch buffet at least once during PAX. And see a movie at the pacific place 11 theater on thursday night.Before PAX . Then go to blue C sushi .Then get a slice of cheesecake to go from the cheesecake factory

• Options
    jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    This will only be our second pax but my girlfriend and I are going to do the same thing we did last time.
    Arrive in Seattle.
    Check in to our room.
    Head over to Serious Pie for some pizza and knock back a few rainiers.
    Go to back to our hotel/airbnb for a good old jet lag induced and beer reinforced coma.

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Check into the room, have first and last dinner in Seattle at the Elephant Castle, down a pint... or two... or three...

bacon_avenger on
    PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    monkeyholemonkeyhole Registered User regular
    For years, the only tradition that's survived is to arrive day 1 after a long drive up I-5 and collapse in my hotel room, then contemplate how I'm getting too old for this crap.

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Keibi wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »
    My traditions tend to be around food, and as such I try to get to Blue C sushi once while at Prime.
    1. Yes I know it's a busy as fuck tourist trap.
    2. Yes I know it's not the best sushi you can get in downtown Seattle.
    I don't fucking care. It's still better than 90% of the sushi I can get back home, and I like the novelty of the place.

That being said, @LexiconGrrl I need to go back to the Japanese place you took us to one previous PAX. That was amazing.

I've found a better one. If you want to go, send me a PM and I'll drive. It's not downtown.

That said, you're thinking of Kushibar, where we all went before. I was kinda drunk and don't remember the conversation, but that I had a great time with everybody!!

Always looking for excellent sushi places. Do you have recommendations for carousel sushi places besides Blue C?

You're looking for places serving Kaiten Sushi. There are quite a few places that do it - my favorite is closed but had a water moat with boats for trays and they floated by just like an edible Small World ride. No place other than Blue C downtown, but if you get up to Northgate Mall, Sushi Tengu is pretty good. I also like the Genki Sushi over in Factoria - their shit is legit Japanese.

Keep in mind that no Kaiten place in Seattle is going to do really fantastic top-notch sushi, but it's fun and easy and cheap and the portions tend to be half-sized so you can try more stuff. Pro tip: most places will make fresh sushi to order if you ask them to. You don't have to eat off the belt.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    byakuenbyakuen Somewhere in SeattleRegistered User regular
    28days away!
    My tradition have been to hit Mae Phim for Thai off of 2nd & Pike for lunch at least once. And then find places I haven't tried before.
    Last night to take a ride on the ferry to Bremerton and eat at Anthony's. Glorious sunset, btw.

♥ Properly Pleased Participant of Past PAX PrimeWest: '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
  • Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    peetsnack wrote: »
    My PAX is not complete without spotting the Carl Brutananadilewski cosplayer. Fucking love that guy.

Sorry, everyone. I just don't have the drive this year. Was there Friday, out of character. Hope everyone has a great time! That being said... my tradition has always been the metal show! (Bit Brigade is doing Metroid on Sunday night!)

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    Me and my son went to get Cyber Dogs yesterday, only to see that it was gone :( Now we need to come up with a new PAX tradition!

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    My traditions tend to be around food, and as such I try to get to Blue C sushi once while at Prime.
    I don't fucking care. It's still better than 90% of the sushi I can get back home, and I like the novelty of the place.

That being said, @LexiconGrrl I need to go back to the Japanese place you took us to one previous PAX. That was amazing.

I've found a better one. If you want to go, send me a PM and I'll drive. It's not downtown.

That said, you're thinking of Kushibar, where we all went before. I was kinda drunk and don't remember the conversation, but that I had a great time with everybody!!

Always looking for excellent sushi places. Do you have recommendations for carousel sushi places besides Blue C?

You're looking for places serving Kaiten Sushi. There are quite a few places that do it - my favorite is closed but had a water moat with boats for trays and they floated by just like an edible Small World ride. No place other than Blue C downtown, but if you get up to Northgate Mall, Sushi Tengu is pretty good. I also like the Genki Sushi over in Factoria - their shit is legit Japanese.

Keep in mind that no Kaiten place in Seattle is going to do really fantastic top-notch sushi, but it's fun and easy and cheap and the portions tend to be half-sized so you can try more stuff. Pro tip: most places will make fresh sushi to order if you ask them to. You don't have to eat off the belt.

You can also split the difference and go to the Blue C in Fremont. It's a short (direct) bus or cab ride from downtown, and it'd still have the familiarity. I'd argue it's actually nicer than the one downtown.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I'd argue it's actually nicer than the one downtown.

OMG. SO much nicer.

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options

OMG. SO much nicer.

I've actually only been once, but yeah was pretty sure. The one in Tukwila kinda sucks. Bellevue is nice. But Fremont is the best...and, IIRC, the original.

• Options

OMG. SO much nicer.

I've actually only been once, but yeah was pretty sure. The one in Tukwila kinda sucks. Bellevue is nice. But Fremont is the best...and, IIRC, the original.
    U Village is pretty nice. I remember my first time at the Fremont one and was blown away by the Harajuku poster art.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    cbellevie wrote: »
    Me and my son went to get Cyber Dogs yesterday, only to see that it was gone :( Now we need to come up with a new PAX tradition!

Kind of the same for my group, our favorite bar to hang out in Elephant and Castle got a remodel and now its this limp dick hipster hole that I just don't want to drink in. You know, the kind of place that you can't talk above a whisper without it getting loud as fuck in the joint.

So that kind of sucked, but it reaffirmed Taphouse as my watering hole of choice, and even got us to try a few new places.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    New tradition as of this year. Going to have to hit the Dragonfish at least once each prime. They're open late, suprisingly not crowded considering how close they are, and the food was phenomenal.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    markjamesmurphymarkjamesmurphy Registered User new member

Japonessa!!

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Japonessa doesn't do carousel do they?

Edit: they are good though, if it's the place im thinking

mcdermott on
  • Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Alazull wrote: »
    Kind of the same for my group, our favorite bar to hang out in Elephant and Castle got a remodel
    Yea, I wasn't exactly impressed with the remodel either. but the food and beer were still good, so we dealt with it and enjoyed the Guinness and poutine

bacon_avenger on
    PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    MetricalSkyMetricalSky Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Malgaras wrote: »
    New tradition as of this year. Going to have to hit the Dragonfish at least once each prime. They're open late, suprisingly not crowded considering how close they are, and the food was phenomenal.

Also, they have tempura peppered bacon. I discovered them this year, and I'm gonna have to go back at least once every year now just for that dish.

ItrVoTt.png
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    Malgaras wrote: »

Also, they have tempura peppered bacon. I discovered them this year, and I'm gonna have to go back at least once every year now just for that dish.

IKR! Went back for more on Monday and they were out. I think PAX ran them out of bacon.

*drool*

1tLJUH2O.png