As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Origins Spoilers! Elf Tribal! Goblin Piledriver! Demonic "Vorthos All Star" Pact!

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SEE THAT

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    if only I wasn't drowning in all these dragonlord dromoka's

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    At least green is always loaded in cheap flyer removal for SB

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    urgh, nothing worse than getting a sweet draft deck (Pia & Kiran, Chandra's Ignition, Tragic Arrogance, Molten Vortex, two Suppression Bonds, etc) and then not seeing a land until you mull down to 3.

I can verify that Molten Vortex is crazypants awesome though.

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    I knew I loved Dragonlord Dromoka

dragonmom is the best

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Folks, any opinions on how many elves you should have before Shaman of the Pack is legit playable?

Currently in the board of my sealed, but I do have 7 elves in the main.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I mean, you're already shocking your opponent if you have at least 1 more on the board

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Wow I went 1-1-1 with what I assumed was a great Boris draft deck. The draw was my own damn fault. I swung a big board for not quite lethal and lost enough that I couldn't finish it next turn when I drew the seismic elemental. The other two were drag out beat downs which were fun on both ends so I'm not two upset. No prize this week so it all comes down to next week for my full path play set.

Also a bunch of people gave me most of the elves I need to do janky elf things for a few months so yay

G/B Elves in Origins Limited is not exactly Modern Burn.

2 damage to the face isn't getting me anywhere.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    If you're already in green/black, a 3/2 for 3 is perfectly playable. Any damage or potential elf synergies like Eyeblight Massacre is just gravy on top of it.

• E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Demonic pact deck ftw. ^.^

3-1'd with this mediocre G/B deck:

vi795sgzqs0n.jpg

Sided in the Shaman of the Pack for Rabid Bloodsucker against other green decks, due to the abundance of spiders running about. And everyone was playing green. Lost to the event winner (who was obviously G/W Renown) in two quick games.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    10-0 in Origins limited. 3 Jaces opened. This set has been berry berry good to me.

Last night's deck almost tempted me to try out The Great Aurora (tons of ramp and tokens), but promo Path to Exile means no time for cuteness. Favorite play involved playing Zendikar's Roil and Evolving Wilds, then next turn another wilds into Nissa's Pilgrimage and Llanowar Empath revealing Ampryn Tactician.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    First attempt at drafting Origins didn't go so well:

6vu5nwyqdk9d.jpg

Based on the eventual signals, I definitely should have been base-black, ideally B/W Auras. But I was stubborn.

Bleh.JPG 187.2K
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    That deck looks perfectly fine. Ideally, you'd have something to swap tactics or a leap for, but that deck is far from a failure.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    That deck looks perfectly fine. Ideally, you'd have something to swap tactics or a leap for, but that deck is far from a failure.

Yeah, I just mean that in comparison to what I could have had, it's pretty much "meh, dudes".

Headed to the finals though.

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »

Yeah, I just mean that in comparison to what I could have had, it's pretty much "meh, dudes".

Headed to the finals though.

I wouldn't even call a lot of them "meh". Granted I have not yet been able to play the format, but Topan freeblade seems really solid. Elvish visionary is certainly good. Leaf gilder is one of the best green commons. Empath is at least a 1.5/1.75 for 1, given your creature count.

Citadel Castellan is great. Outland Collussus is a straight Bomb.

The only TRULY meh card is the griffen.

I agree that it's 2 mighty leaps is more than Id like to run and your creature count is a bit low for Tactics, but yeah. Seems solid.

I think I'd rather have another low drop over the second Hartbeast, though. LSV was saying last night that he doesn't think you want so many Bonds, but removal is removal.

Like the deck is damn close to a straight A.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Doing my first ORI prerelease sealed on MTGO, went Nissa for my seed pack.

Pulled a foil Nissa for my troubles.

Also Animists Awakening and Zendikar's Roil, which seems like a hilarious sealed pool combo.

jgeis on
    When does the GP coverage start? I'm enjoying the Standard Open and all, but Limited is what I really want to watch

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    why did cvm keep this hand

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Why is CVM playing heroic

probably because it beats GR devotion

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

This whole game has been a bizarre comedy of errors.

Danny's error being assuming he would ever draw land.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    edited July 2015

This whole game has been a bizarre comedy of errors.

Danny's error being assuming he would ever draw land.

his spell sequencing is also not the greatest right now

edit: that was stupid

The Betgirl on
    I'm rooting for CVM, I guess? I dunno.

I dislike both decks. Guess Iikr CVM's content... and I do really loathe Abzan...

Can they just both lose? So we have better shot of seeing more interesting decks?

So does TurboFog. At least TurboFog is cool.

turbofog is funny but it isn't a good Tournament Deck

turbofog is funny but it isn't a good Tournament Deck

Yet.

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    turbofog is the polar opposite of cool

Kilroy on
    Quick Thoughts:

Origins definitely feels like core set. Which is not my favorite kind of Magic. But I guess it's cool that they were able to make core set look like it was more "expert" even if it's not.

Renown seems like it should have added a colorless to the cost of most renown creatures. Though that would obviously make them suck. So I dunno. Pharika's Disciple shuts shit down once it gets renowned.

The PWs that I faced all felt really fair, though that may have been a matter of their owners trying to force the transformation in situations that didn't make sense to flip.

Kotophed is a pretty fucked up card, probably the only super-bomb I faced in either event.

I only faced one blue deck and it was turrrrrible. Is this the first core set in which blue wears the dunce cap?

Blue seems pretty good if you can pair it with red. I think it's a support color.

metaghost wrote: »
    Quick Thoughts:

Origins definitely feels like core set. Which is not my favorite kind of Magic. But I guess it's cool that they were able to make core set look like it was more "expert" even if it's not.

Renown seems like it should have added a colorless to the cost of most renown creatures. Though that would obviously make them suck. So I dunno. Pharika's Disciple shuts shit down once it gets renowned.

The PWs that I faced all felt really fair, though that may have been a matter of their owners trying to force the transformation in situations that didn't make sense to flip.

Kotophed is a pretty fucked up card, probably the only super-bomb I faced in either event.

I only faced one blue deck and it was turrrrrible. Is this the first core set in which blue wears the dunce cap?

Wasn't Blue pretty mediocre in M15? I mean unless you were me and always had a mess of Welkin Terns.

Nothing funny about leprosy guys.

Well no that's not true.

Quire.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

So does TurboFog. At least TurboFog is cool.

The prof is aggressively boring

Wasn't Blue pretty mediocre in M15? I mean unless you were me and always had a mess of Welkin Terns.

I've basically forgotten the set, but wasn't As The World Terns starring Almighty Welkin Tern and its sidekicks Frost Lynx & Peel from Reality just about as obnoxious as blue tempo could get?

I'm definitely making an absurd generalization in my quick thoughts; I just thought it was weird how nonexistent blue was in my events.

okay. the artifact control deck is better than i thought.

I think UW Control might just be one of those decks that is actually pretty good but always looks like its about to lose.

Quire.jpg
    get me zack kanner's decklist

GR "Surprise Hasty doublestriking Dragons" is a pretty cool deck.

Quire.jpg
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    True fact: turbofog is fun as FUCK

This discussion has been closed.