As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony: don't play old games anymore buy new ones.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, if Sega had just concentrated on one platform and really developed it, they probably would've been a lot better off.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FCD wrote: »
    Yeah, if Sega had just concentrated on one platform and really developed it, they probably would've been a lot better off.

And if it hadn't created a console that was a bitch to develop 3D games for.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    And if their US marketing hadn't gone to shit.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Dirty DrawersDirty Drawers Lord of the undie world Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just watched the gameplay video of MGS4 on game trailers. It looks so damn fun, brings back memories of MGs1, but I can't see it as a feasible cost to spend $500+ to play just one game. Playstation needs a lot of games fast.

Dirty Drawers on
    Fools shall not be pitied.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    *Just hopes that if Snake has a knife I don't slit people throats everything I try to interrogate the turn off that 5-minute alert system.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just watched the gameplay video of MGS4 on game trailers. It looks so damn fun, brings back memories of MGs1, but I can't see it as a feasible cost to spend $500+ to play just one game. Playstation needs a lot of games fast.

Wtf are you talking about. Games are coming out fast, infact so fast that I can't buy them all.

Games on my list that I wish I had money to get... and will have to wait some time.. but means more will be coming out on top of that...

skate, assassins creed, the simpsons game :) , gh3, blacksite, ratchet, bladestorm, uncharted, haze, soldier of fortune pb, cod 4, stranglehold ... this is all before the end of the year...

I also need to pick up lair (or at least rent it), heavely sword, I just got folklore, not to mention some of the downloadable games....

Sure they might not all be exclusives, but they are still games, and are still games that will be on ps3.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

by the time MGS 4 is out PS3 will have around 6-10 more (notable) exclusives

not to mention all the ones shared with 360 and PC

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    But if you have an xbox 360 already then it really does mean a bunch of exclusives to sway you to the ps3 side.

Right now nothing steller is coming out exclusive for the ps3 before christmas is it? The Wii has a couple at least, which might give someone a reason to pick up a wii for a few hundred over the ps3 IF they already had a 360.

useless4 on
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    Like what?

Not trying to be snarky, I'm actually curious. R&CF has actually got me interested in buying a PS3 again,and I'd love to hear some more reasons to buy a PS3 to go along with my 360.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    Dirty DrawersDirty Drawers Lord of the undie world Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Wtf are you talking about. Games are coming out fast, infact so fast that I can't buy them all.

Games on my list that I wish I had money to get... and will have to wait some time.. but means more will be coming out on top of that...

skate, assassins creed, the simpsons game :) , gh3, blacksite, ratchet, bladestorm, uncharted, haze, soldier of fortune pb, cod 4, stranglehold ... this is all before the end of the year...

I also need to pick up lair (or at least rent it), heavely sword, I just got folklore, not to mention some of the downloadable games....

Sure they might not all be exclusives, but they are still games, and are still games that will be on ps3.

Most of the games you mentioned are multi-plat and I could get them for the 360. Ratchet and Uncharted look promising, but I prefer to wait and see.

Dirty Drawers on
    Fools shall not be pitied.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Like what?

Not trying to be snarky, I'm actually curious. R&CF has actually got me interested in buying a PS3 again,and I'd love to hear some more reasons to buy a PS3 to go along with my 360.

ratchet and clank, eye of judgement, haze, uncharted, gran turismo 5 prologue

that's just up to december 07

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

excluding possibly skate and ratchet, none of them are system sellers. so they are only good news for people who already have PS3s. If someone desperately wants most of those games they will get the 360 versions instead, or if they have no console at all, get a 360 and half that list.

Ps3 doesnt just need games, it now needs a lot of exclusive games. Sure, UT3 is nice, but the vast majority will be getting the PC version. skate sold 5 times as many first month on 360 than PS3. I predict similar if not larger gaps for Assassin's Creed and a whole bunch of other games. Heck, Ill bet Haze ends up selling more copies on 360 than on the Ps3.

So yeah, if you have a Ps3, this fall lineup is great. If you dont, you arent missing anything by not having a PS3, especially if you have a 360. Uncharted and Ratchet might be super amazing, but they're only 2 games, and it remains to be seen how many consoles they will shift.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Like what?

I have yet to note any of those.

They go un-noted.

august on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Like what?

I like the way R&C looks, don't care for GT, Eye of Judgment isn't mytype of thing, Uncharted might be good, and I know nothing about Haze.

I did forget UT3, so that's 2 games I'd be in too.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I thought UT3 for the PS3 was now coming out at the same time as the 360 version?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    I thought UT3 for the PS3 was now coming out at the same time as the 360 version?
    Last word from epic was they where trying to get it out this year, and the 1up Show played a build they thought was pretty much final, causing them to believe it'll be Dec.

And anyway, I'd rather play UT3 on the PS3, as then I can use a mouse and keyboard like God and Cliffy intended.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Last word from epic was they where trying to get it out this year, and the 1up Show played a build they thought was pretty much final, causing them to believe it'll be Dec.

And anyway, I'd rather play UT3 on the PS3, as then I can use a mouse and keyboard like God and Cliffy intended.

Wikipedia to the rescue.
    (sorry folks but the thread on Midway stating that they "expect" a delay in the PS3 got accidentally deleted when one of the forum admins was trying to delete a particular post so here's a repeat of what I posted on this subject)...

As a public company, Midway felt an obligation to its shareholders to let them know about the possibility of a delay. Our goal is still to get the PS3 version of UT3 in stores before the end of 2007. However, we will only ship it once it’s ready and is the best game we can deliver.

In addition there is some good news as a little extra time in development means that now the PS3 version will have all of the same maps as the PC version whereas we previously expected to ship a fewer maps on console.

The PC version is still on track for November with a downloadable demo to be made available prior to retail release.

Couscous on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Woo PC woo woo.

august on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    Sony is the new Sega. Karma is a bitch.

Except Sony didn't start out as a game developer. :P

Sega originally stated off making coin operated machines, then moving on to photo booths and games. They were definately in the hardware biz well before they did software - Nintendo made cards I shit you not.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Sony is the new Sega. Karma is a bitch.

Except Sony didn't start out as a game developer. :P

Sega originally stated off making coin operated machines, then moving on to photo booths and games. They were definately in the hardware biz well before they did software - Nintendo made cards I shit you not.

Huh, shows what I know.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Nintendo still makes cards.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Nintendo made cards I shit you not.
    Yeah, wasn't Nintendo founded in like 1890-something?

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Heh, from Wiki,
    Nintendo is a Japanese multinational corporation founded on September 23, 1889[1] in Kyoto, Japan by Fusajiro Yamauchi to produce handmade hanafuda cards.[2] In the mid-twentieth century, the company tried several small niche businesses, such as a love hotel and a taxi company

What exactly is a love hotel?

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MKR on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2007
    Heh, from Wiki,
    Nintendo is a Japanese multinational corporation founded on September 23, 1889[1] in Kyoto, Japan by Fusajiro Yamauchi to produce handmade hanafuda cards.[2] In the mid-twentieth century, the company tried several small niche businesses, such as a love hotel and a taxi company
    What exactly is a love hotel?
    Hotel with hourly rates.

Meant for bow-chicka wowow action.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sounds like a fancy name for a brothel. Or a Motel 6 on the bad side of town.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    Sounds like a fancy name for a brothel. Or a Motel 6 on the bad side of town.

Because Japan is about as fucked up as America when it comes to sex, people who live with their parents feel the need to rent a hotel for a few hours in order to do their thing. Also for prostitution, of course.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yea I know I listed a bunch of games that are on both PS3 and X360... but to those that say "PS3 just needs games"... I was just pointing out that the PS3 HAS games... The fact that I have a PS3 and no X360 means that all those games "you are counting for the X360 library and wouldn't get for the PS3".. well I'm counting them for my PS3 library because I wouldn't get them for an X360.

I just hate hearing people saying "Well the X360 has a bigger library of games and the PS3 just needs games". X360 has been out for 1 more year, and games that are X-platform still count for the PS3. So its unfair to say the PS3 has no games, specially for those that don't own either of the systems, and people make it come off like the PS3 has a "few games".

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The problem, as someone in the other PS3 thread pointed out, is that the general perception is that the PS3 "has no good games". And that's a BAD thing for Sony.

Doesn't matter what the truth is, the general perception of people is that the PS3 is the expensive system with not many games.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The problem, as someone in the other PS3 thread pointed out, is that the general perception is that the PS3 "has no good games". And that's a BAD thing for Sony.

Doesn't matter what the truth is, the general perception of people is that the PS3 is the expensive system with not many games.
    Actually I think the perception is "most of the good games can be played on the 360 better and cheaper."

When the 360 and the PS3 have the same games, the one that's $150 cheaper wins.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Actually I think the perception is "most of the good games can be played on the 360 better and cheaper."

Yea -features your getting bundled with the PS3. What would the X360 cost with an HD-DVD drive and wifi (if those features interested you). I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, I just hate when people try to say something thats completely wrong... Like "PS3 has no games".

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

And anyway, I'd rather play UT3 on the PC, as then I can use a mouse and keyboard like God and Cliffy intended.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Spoit wrote: »

And anyway, I'd rather play UT3 on the PC, as then I can use a mouse and keyboard like God and Cliffy intended.

Well the PS3 version is going to support mouse and keyboard, from what I hear.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007

Yea -features your getting bundled with the PS3. What would the X360 cost with an HD-DVD drive and wifi (if those features interested you). I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, I just hate when people try to say something thats completely wrong... Like "PS3 has no games".

Oh christ, I thought we were over this bullshit. It's all about the games, stupid. You want to play Grand Theft Auto 4. Your choice is a $300 Xbox 360, or a $400 PS3. Which one are you going to buy? Yes, the PS3 bundles a high def DVD player and Wifi, but if all you want is GTA4, that shit DOES NOT MATTER. End of story. End of argument.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yea -features your getting bundled with the PS3. What would the X360 cost with an HD-DVD drive and wifi (if those features interested you). I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, I just hate when people try to say something thats completely wrong ... Like "PS3 has no games".

If people actually gave two shits about those features, then the PS3 would actually be selling. It's not, which is evidence that the features (since nobody cares about them) don't actually add any perceived value.

Also keep in mind that when we say "nobody" or "no games" that doesn't mean zero. It's hyperbole. The PS3 has games, and some good ones at that, but it's got almost no games that define it, and thus little impetus for consumers to buy it, much less pay more for it than the 360.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Oh christ, I thought we were over this bullshit. It's all about the games, stupid. You want to play Grand Theft Auto 4. Your choice is a $300 Xbox 360, or a $400 PS3. Which one are you going to buy? Yes, the PS3 bundles a high def DVD player and Wifi, but if all you want is GTA4, that shit DOES NOT MATTER. End of story. End of argument.

Well yeah, if you were only interested in multi platform games that are completely equal, then yeah, you would go for the cheaper platform. No one is or will argue that, cause it's a really stupid argument.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

Yea -features your getting bundled with the PS3. What would the X360 cost with an HD-DVD drive and wifi (if those features interested you). I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, I just hate when people try to say something thats completely wrong ... Like "PS3 has no games".

If people actually gave two shits about those features, then the PS3 would actually be selling. It's not, which is evidence that the features (since nobody cares about them) don't actually add any perceived value.

Also keep in mind that when we say "nobody" or "no games" that doesn't mean zero. It's hyperbole. The PS3 has games, and some good ones at that, but it's got almost no games that define it, and thus little impetus for consumers to buy it, much less pay more for it than the 360.

Plenty of people care about HD and plenty of people are buying PS3s. Not 400k units a month, but surprising more then you would think an "overprices system with no defining games" would.

Neva on

• Options
    edited October 2007

First of all I wouldn't spend $300 or $400 for just A game. Secondly, I look at all the features one "device" may have before making a pUrchase. Thats like saying "If you are just trying to get to point A to point B and your choice is a $500 Car (mind you that still works and can get you to point B, but has no AC, no stereo, has no power windows, so you got to work up a sweet to get some air) or a $12000 car that has your more basic features". The whole point of the car is travel, but other features may help you make that final step towards a purchase. SURE the PS3 can play games, and thats what I bought it to do, but it ALSO can play BR movies, which I also enjoy very much on my HDTV. Thus I don't have to worry about clogging up my entertainment center with a stand-alone player alongside my gameing device.

SO personally... with your option there... $300 for GTA4 or $100 more to play GTA4 and BR.... honestly... I think $100 for a BR player is a bad ass deal.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is why it is important to remember that value is not the important thing, market perceived value is.

Regardless of what any individual consumer thinks, it's clear that the general trend is that the market (total of consumers) do not perceive the PS3 to be good value at it's current pricing/feature-set, especially when compared to the competition.

LewieP on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    baker, if it's something you want to do, you can do a bunch of searching and find great comparitive lists of each what it would cost to add features of one console to the other... blue ray, but no Live, no Live Arcade, for example.

so, what I'm trying to say is, people have done this before, and better, and all to make the point that unless you're buying because of these features, then they shouldn't be measured into the equation.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch