As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Anyone have any double din head unit recommendations? Particular for things that pair well with Android?

The stock system in the GTI is very meh.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    My 2007 Mustang GT has a pretty light clutch, but it only grabs high up. Really hard to get smooth acceleration sometimes.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the RX-8 has a heavy clutch. the sole of my left shoe is worn out from me holding it down in traffic

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Anyone have any double din head unit recommendations? Particular for things that pair well with Android?

Do you want integrated navigation?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    As far as clutches go - all are different.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Yeah I guess I knew that. Just was surprised how easy it was to push in compared to my Saabaru.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options

Nope. My phone will do that better than any integrated system.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular

Nope. My phone will do that better than any integrated system.

Then check this one out.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The amount they jack up the cost of a head unit with navigation is ridiculous.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Yeah I guess I knew that. Just was surprised how easy it was to push in compared to my Saabaru.

The Saabaru has a terrible clutch feel. I loved the car when I had it, but subaru clutches in general are not that great. They're very rubbery and oversprung.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Here's an electric go-kart setting a new world record for a 0-100kph run. Just 1.779 seconds to do the deed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO7HlsAbhQk

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Well I think I'm done with my local Mitsubishi dealer. I've had a couple of incidents of wonkiness over the last year, but this is the end. I had them perform the 60k mile service, and among the items done was a replacement of the air filter. Now I have an aftermarket reusable air filter, and I typically mention this to them so that they don't touch it. I forgot to do so during this service, and then ended up pulling it and stuffing a paper filter in. I caught it when I picked the car up, so aside from having to clean and reoil the thing as it had been in a trash bin, no harm done.

However today when I got to work I noticed a smell of burning oil. After a quick visual inspection, I examined the dipstick. It appears that I have six quarts of oil in my engine. My engine requires five. They're going to fix this today, but this is the last time they'll see me.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    COUNTER: I actually have a leak in the transfer case, and I am being covered for it by warranty even though I am about 100 miles out of said warranty.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Performance exhaust is on the way for the Saabaru. Now I get to be one of those people.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    instant classic GP over the weekend for anyone interested in the replay

at least once a year F1 likes to remind us that the glory days are still lurking underneath these horrible power units and money-starved midpack teams

Daniel Ricciardo is essentially the greatest. I would love it if he somehow got to Ferrari and got to duke it out with Vettel.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Would prefer him to Mercedes, would be more fun to have them in different teams and not have to pretend to like each other.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    It was a fantastic race, easily up there with Bahrain 2014. I was literally on the edge of my seat for the entire race which is something I have very very rarely ever done for a F1 race.

Pistonhead's had this great line from their Motorsport on Monday overview of the racing weekend:
    Oh, and props to Pastor Maldonado, who did the hat-trick of penalties in beautifully error-strewn performance that showed a focus on calamity perhaps unsurpassed in modern F1. Lewis, you tried, but you were still beaten by the rich man from Venezuela. Let's try to not try better next time though.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    if Red Bull could somehow get a Merc engine next year than Ricciardo v. Vettel in different cars would be really good

I think they're the two best drivers in the field. Hamilton does not impress me at all.

• Options
    Impressive or otherwise, Hamilton is consistantly at the fast end of the field - and Rosberg's performances show that it's not just the hardware. He's a very capable driver, otherwise let down by.. personality quirks.

• Options
    Hamilton does a lot of crashing for how fast he is. Maldonado levels of recklessness when things don't go his way. His offtrack in Lap 1 was completely absurd.

And I think Rosberg is just terrible. People talk about Kimi needing to be forced into retirement, Rosberg seems way way way slower relative to Hamilton. If Rosberg were in anything other than the best car in the world, he would be out of the points

• Options
    I think that the GTI has a "beep" when it's approaching redline.

I think.

I don't know because I'm generally cackling maniacally as I work through the gears and only think I can hear something.
    still miss my wrx though

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I've never liked Rosberg both as a driver and as a person. He can occasionally qualify very well but he's no where near as good as Hamilton when it comes to actual racing. He has had a few races where he won outright against Hamilton, but without going through years of race reports I'd argue that many of his wins come down to Hamilton having issues, failures, or mistakes during a race. Hamilton's race craft is far far better than Rosberg's as is his overall pace. I'm not going to call Rosberg a bad driver but he's certainly being massively helped by being in a Mercedes.

I'm of two minds with Hamilton. He's one of my favorite drivers but I do not like him as a person/personality. Most F1 drivers are egotistical bastards by nature but also have guys like Button, Ricciardo, Webber, and maybe Vettel, Bottas, and Hulkenburg who are genuinely nice guys.

Axis of Oversteer has an interesting article about Red Bull getting a Merc engine via Aston Martin and the speculative political workarounds for it to be possible http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2015/07/would-mercedes-really-give-red-bull.html

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Well, fuck. I stopped at a red light, but the minivan behind me didn't. Images spoilered for size.
    FxLB_xPtQhJt37RqkC71CwA50j7VYVylrtoHu121qlw=w1677-h943-no
    9GDfB9lpJEF7aKoRrzkm5MHMFwm36vCQRwydEMCpFgs=w1677-h943-no
    o2QBiIHi2VtVIyns-BG96N9oACeZvud69cRVQ9E2HWI=w1677-h943-no
    Honeybadger don't care?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    A Camaro with a busted ass shouldn't look too out of place in Detroit. :razz:

jgeis on
  • Options
    I mean, it's the chance you take with dailying a car you love, but it feels really unfair to have the car make it 20 years virtually problem-free and then get taken out because somebody didn't have their eyes on the road. I would have been OK with putting it into a wall on a track, at least then the fault would be on me.

Sadly it has a lot more sentimental value than actual value, so unless I find a shell for super cheap it probably gets parted out. :(

• Options
    :bigfrown: ah man that sucks if you're going to have to part it out. It seems like it's in good shape otherwise, if you don't mind me prying too much, are you not getting any insurance money/repairs out of this? Given it's age I wouldn't be totally surprised if you only had PLPD on it.

Camaro shells are pretty easy to come by though, so hopefully you can find something cheap on CL or at a local junk yard.

And I feel you on having someone else cause damage to your vehicle. I've had three separate body repairs to my Dart in the 3 years I've owned it and none of them were really my fault (hit a raccoon, car has been backed into TWICE while parked properly in a parking lot).

• Options
    Yeah, PLPD only, the car is only worth $4k tops so there was no point spending the money on extra insurance. And since Michigan has a ridiculous "no fault" insurance system, the at-fault driver is (almost) completely off the hook for whatever damage they cause to your vehicle.

For now the car's driveable, but ugly, so it'll continue to rack up miles while I figure out what to do next. I'd like to save it just out of sentimental value, but I'm going to need to sit down and see whether that's actually a smart move or not.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    since Michigan has a ridiculous "no fault" insurance system, the at-fault driver is (almost) completely off the hook for whatever damage they cause to your vehicle.

What even is this, that seems insane

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Something like 50-60% of the vehicles in Detroit are uninsured or underinsured. There were problems with people getting in accidents and not being able to recover anything from the at-fault party's insurance, because there was no insurance to recover from. And most of those people had no assets of their own worth suing for, so the drivers were SOL.

Michigan's solution was "fuck it, everyone pays for coverage for their own vehicle." If you buy collision coverage for your own vehicle, and you get in a wreck, you're fine. If you decide to skip that coverage because it's too expensive, you're fucked. Legally you're prohibited from suing the at-fault party, with the exception of up to $1000 for your deductible.

In my case, collision insurance was an extra $1500 a year on a car that was worth $6k at best when I bought it 4 years ago. Given that today it would only be valued at $3-4k, I've saved more money by not having the coverage than I would have gotten paid out for this accident.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Something like 50-60% of the vehicles in Detroit are uninsured or underinsured. There were problems with people getting in accidents and not being able to recover anything from the at-fault party's insurance, because there was no insurance to recover from. And most of those people had no assets of their own worth suing for, so the drivers were SOL.

Michigan's solution was "fuck it, everyone pays for coverage for their own vehicle." If you buy collision coverage for your own vehicle, and you get in a wreck, you're fine. If you decide to skip that coverage because it's too expensive, you're fucked. Legally you're prohibited from suing the at-fault party, with the exception of up to $1000 for your deductible.

In my case, collision insurance was an extra $1500 a year on a car that was worth $6k at best when I bought it 4 years ago. Given that today it would only be valued at $3-4k, I've saved more money by not having the coverage than I would have gotten paid out for this accident.

This is also pretty common in the North East where people deliberately go without insurance...NY had it when I lived there and I am pretty sure PA does now. It is however void if criminal negligence is proven. So if they are breaking the law by say drinking or can be proven to have been driving reckless by racing or something you can then sue....but yeah actual accidents are all on your own insurance.

Which is fun because your rate will also go up because somebody hit you...

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »

This is also pretty common in the North East where people deliberately go without insurance...NY had it when I lived there and I am pretty sure PA does now. It is however void if criminal negligence is proven. So if they are breaking the law by say drinking or can be proven to have been driving reckless by racing or something you can then sue....but yeah actual accidents are all on your own insurance.

Which is fun because your rate will also go up because somebody hit you...

My rate hasn't gone up at all after any of the three claims I've made. I also live in Michigan.

I had to pay my deductible for the raccoon hit, but I didn't pay anything at all for the two times I've been backed into.

• Options
    Yeah the only good news is that legally they can't jack up your rates if you're not at fault. Checked that with my insurance guy yesterday.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Yeah the only good news is that legally they can't jack up your rates if you're not at fault. Checked that with my insurance guy yesterday.

That's cool...soooo wasn't true in New York way back when. Got rear ended when I was 18 and my insurance went through the roof. Hell, mom had the same insurance for 20 years and had one ticket on her record, somebody bent in her fender on a parked car and they actually dropped her.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »

Holy shit the kid's face at the 1:30 mark. I'm in tears. I had to shut my office door I'm laughing too hard.

• Options

I wonder how region locked this will be.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The BBC article said "worldwide", but who knows.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    That's one way to finally start moving some Fire sticks.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

I wonder how region locked this will be.

Well, Amazon doesn't actually make much of a profit, apparently. So if Bezos wants to line his pockets some more, they'll push to make it worldwide.

• Options
    It seems to be based around Amazon Prime VoD, so.. as long as that's available in your region I guess it'll be watchable?

Do we get that?

This discussion has been closed.