As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Digital Comics] Funny Books On Your Phones and Tablets! Check OP For Retailers

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    This guy is way into MU and he wrote up a thing about Scribd and comics:
    http://www.comicbookherald.com/scribd-unlimited-comics-review-is-it-worth-it/

Bottom line is: Library is definitely less, and less-recent, but still has a lot. It is apparently trade-based. It has a 30 day trial though, and non-Marvel comics (not Image or DC though).

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Though with the addition of the comics to the audiobooks and ebooks makes the Scribd subscription start to look pretty nice to me.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    After kicking the idea around for a few months, I finally picked up an Asus memo 10 and I'm gonna give Marvel Unlimited a shot. Pretty excited that I'm gonna finally get around to catching up on a few years of missed stories. I was also wondering, now that Marvel is publishing Star Wars, will we be seeing the new books on MU in the next few months?

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    to be honest if the user experience is even a little bit better on another service I'd pretty strongly consider dropping MU in favor of that. The amount of content on unlimited is great but everything about the management/navigation of the site is fuckawful

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Is there something else that has a subscription based model? That is a huge selling point for me, I usually buy trades and I figure by going to MU I'd save a good chunk of money. Is the MU app as bad as the site? I've been reading reviews that they kinda made the app a bit easier to use a few months back.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The MU app works just fine for me 90% of the time. Any problems I've ever had with MU, whether with the app or the website, are easily dismissed by the sheer volume of content you get access to.

I haven't checked out the new Scribd service, but it definitely doesn't have anywhere near the amount of content MU does.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the app works well with newer issues, because the 'smart' panels on those are much better done. Reading older stuff (i.e. mid 2000s) on my phone can be problematic because a lot of the time speech bubbles will be cut off, or for some reason one 'panel' will actually be a whole page and thus be too small to read.

mostly I read on my netbook though, which works pretty well. I imagine a tablet is the ideal medium.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Does it take forever to download stuff on Comixolgy iPad app for everyone? I've still been using the old version though might try the newer one to see if it improves things any.

steam_sig.png
    That's really the only reason I bought the tablet, to read comics so I hope it works out. I tried reading on my phone and laptop and hated it, and buying the actual books is becoming pricey, plus I can finally read in bed without my fiancee yelling about having the lights on. I'm hopefully gonna start off with Ultimate Spider-man, if the whole thing is on MU that is.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
    edited February 2015
    So there is a code of MARVEL that gets you buy one get one free going on now at Comixology. It stacks with any Marvel titles on sale already. So I'm getting issues 1-16 of Nova(2013-) for 7.92 which seems pretty good.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    The MU app for tablets has improved a lot in the past year. I don't know how well it works on phones but phones are never going to be that great for reading comics. For tablets it has addressed pretty much all the problems I had with it previously. The only remaining issues are that its hard to zoom and pan, and occasional download fuckups that force me to add an issue to my library and make it available offline to work.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    So there is a code of MARVEL that gets you buy one get one free going on now at Comixology. It stacks with any Marvel titles on sale already. So I'm getting issues 1-16 of Nova(2013-) for 7.92 which seems pretty good.

I picked up Planet Hulk, Old Man Logan, the two Carnage issues of Nova, Silk #1, and Night of the Living Deadpool.

I want the Planet Venom or whatever arc of Guardians but I don't know the exact issues for the arc or if it is still going.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »

I picked up Planet Hulk, Old Man Logan, the two Carnage issues of Nova, Silk #1, and Night of the Living Deadpool.

I want the Planet Venom or whatever arc of Guardians but I don't know the exact issues for the arc or if it is still going.

Issue 21-23 for the venom arc

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    redfield85 wrote: »

Issue 21-23 for the venom arc

Oh, well I guess I need to pick one more 3.99 issue to get for free. Hmmm.

edit: I'm debating #1 of either Nightcrawler, Thor, or Ms. Marvel.

Edit 2: Got crawler 1, ms marvel 1-2, and the three venom issues of guardians.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    I got my tablet in the mail today and have been checking out Marvel unlimited, and read the first three issues of Nova. So far this definitely seems like it's gonna be the way I read comics for now on, and at 5$ a month (for a year sub) honestly I'm super excited to finally catch up on books I pushed to the side because of money.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    What are people's thoughts on The Nightly News? I seem to recall buzz about it on here and I see it's in the Comixology Hickman sale.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Get your hands on these while you can!
    comiXology’s #GEEKSTAGEGIVEAWAY Day 1 Recap

Use the code COLLIDE to get Sonic the Hedgehog/Mega Man: Worlds Collide Vol. 1
    Use the code UNITY to get Valiant 8-Bit Adventure: Unity!
    Use the code XFILES to get X-Files: Season 10 Vol. 1 by Joe Harris & Michael Walsh
    Use the code RAI to get Rai #1 by Matt Kindt & Clayton Crain
    Use the code SXSWDC to get Fables: The Wolf Among Us #1 & 2, Batman: Arkham Knight #1 & 2, and Mortal Kombat X #1 & 2
    Use the code HOOD to get The Black Hood #1 by Duane Swierczynski and Michael Gaydos

Just head over to HTTP://BIT.LY/GEEKSTAGEGIVEAWAY and plug in those codes to add the books to your library!

What are people's thoughts on The Nightly News? I seem to recall buzz about it on here and I see it's in the Comixology Hickman sale.

I liked it, it is Hickman before he tried to be a little more accessible though , so if you don't like his "style" now you probably wont like it.

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular

I liked it, it is Hickman before he tried to be a little more accessible though , so if you don't like his "style" now you probably wont like it.

Well, I'd say I like his style now, so I'm fine with that :)

oE0mva1.jpg
    So, I think Comixology kind of buried the lede with their email just now - all of (or at least a lot of, I only skimmed the page) Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers stuff for the runup to Secret Wars is on sale today.

oE0mva1.jpg
    Bundles of the complete Hickman runs on each title are bundled up for less than a dollar per issue, individual issues are only on sale up to when time runs out begins

Bundles of the complete Hickman runs on each title are bundled up for less than a dollar per issue, individual issues are only on sale up to when time runs out begins

Frak, I missed that. That's a good tip. :(

oE0mva1.jpg
    Anyone else having issues with MU's Star Wars titles? They only load like the first 2 pages and that's it. Every SW comic is affected, everything else is fine for me.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I only checked one, but it's working fine for me. If you're using the iOS or Android app, I'd try reinstalling.

Tried updating, deleting and re-installing, no go. I was hoping it wasn't just me, but I've contacted Marvel about it so hopefully it's an easy fix.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
    Hmm Planet Hulk issues on sale for $.99 each... I think I need to pick those up.

steam_sig.png
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Does anyone know of a site that shows, step-by-step, how to get Marvel Unlimited to run on a Kindle? I've heard its possible from several sources...

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a site that shows, step-by-step, how to get Marvel Unlimited to run on a Kindle? I've heard its possible from several sources...

try this
    http://www.1mobile.com/marvel-unlimited-808912.html

otherwise, look for a guide on sideloading apps onto the kindle would be your best bet

Anyone want to tell me what's worth getting in the Ultimate sale today? https://www.comixology.com/Ultimate-Collection-Sale/page/6940?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

oE0mva1.jpg
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Stay away from... Ult. Power, (for the art mostly and the story isn't great) Ultimatum (obviously), Divided We Fall (is a snorefest), and Ult. HulkvsIronMan (interesting stuff about Ult. Hulk, but boring boring boring!)

Books written by Bendis are pretty good. Doomsday sets up Ult. Reed Richard's new status quo. It's fun book.
    Ult. Spiderman is a great read so I would suggest reading The Death of... And then Fallout and then Ult. Comics Spiderman with Miles Morales. Those books go back to back.

As for Mark Millar books. His Ultimates books are still a good read. Like most of his work though parts of it are ehhhh so I would only suggest Vol 1 of Ultimates. Although personally... I liked his later Ult. Comics runs.

Ult. WolverinevsHulk get get get it!!!! Just read it!!

Anything Hickman read it read read it!! Be aware though that Ult. Hawkeye is more of a tie in to Hickman's Ultimates and Ult. Thor is an origin story. Great great stuff.

As for the other books:
    Ult. Vision: I have not read it myself so nothing to say about it.
    Ult. Fantastic Four Vol 1: it's an origin story
    Ult. Xmen: Mark Millar, but I enjoyed it because it was a bit different.
    Ult. Galactus Vol 1: It is really creepy is all I remember from it.
    Ult. Origins: interesting read because of all the revelations it told of the Ult. Universe.

So yeah... Hope that helps.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    FYI, for anyone interested in marvel unlimited

if you enter the code hero, it is only 55 bucks for the year

camo_sig.png
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Damn. Mere days after my subscription renewed.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »

Yup. just took advantage of that one. I've never seen them do a sale on the year subs before.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    mts wrote: »

Yup. just took advantage of that one. I've never seen them do a sale on the year subs before.

I think I got a year for like $30$40 bucks when the first Thor came out.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    The other day, I'm thinking that I haven't really kept up with Fables over the last few years (bought the Crossover trade, haven't read it yet).

So what do I see on sale at Comixology this week?

Can anyone advise if any of the Hulk stuff on sale today is worth getting?

steam_sig.png
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    I haven't read those, but I know of the writers. Aaron and Waid are some of the best writers Marvel has right now. If you choose one or the other I believe you'll be a happy comic book reader.

Save 20% off the regular annual price of $69 on your first year of an annual Marvel Unlimited membership!*
    Use code TREAT at checkout

steam_sig.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I got Marvel unlimited for Christmas, and I've got it up and running. If I love street-level heroes like Daredevil and haven't really been dialed in since probably '07, what would be a good place to start?

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Bendis' Daredevil starts at #26, 2001 if you haven't read it already. Really Daredevil has been more or less good ever since.

Spider-Man starting at Brand New Day.

The Immortal Iron Fist.