As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] You are all free now

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So this was tweeted by the official SFV Twitter and in don't know what to make of it but hmmm...

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Anybody else sign up for the Rising Thunder alpha?

They've sent the first wave of invites out; I'm messing around in training mode right now.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    CEO is my favorite tournament now, with the death of UFGT.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    I signed up, didn't get in T.T

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So this was tweeted by the official SFV Twitter and in don't know what to make of it but hmmm...

my heart can't take this

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    I believe that the Rival Schools art anthology just came out recently, which that picture is apart of.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Not jealous I didn't get in to the Alpha :(

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

Was the UFGT replacement not as good? I missed this year because I am lazy but was planning on making an effort for next year.

• Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular

Was the UFGT replacement not as good? I missed this year because I am lazy but was planning on making an effort for next year.

Combobreaker was phenomenal. Arguably the best iteration of the Chicago tournaments.

Keits still had a huge hand in its design.

• Options

Combobreaker was phenomenal. Arguably the best iteration of the Chicago tournaments.

Pssh, you're phenomenal.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular

i'm sad i missed this now that i'm in chicago

but i am very happy that our tournament has a rad name

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    The tournaments id like to go to in order CEO/Final Round/chicago one/evo

If ceo has a pool party that is unreal

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I'm kind of hoping they don't have any purposely bad characters this time around.

Waste of a development slot.

Nah man, you got to think of it this way.

PRETTY MUCH EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER from SFIV WILL BE IN FIVE.

I can say that without a shadow of a doubt. Like, MAYBE the TekkenXStreet Fighter crew won't make the port over. That's about it.

But they risk nearly NOTHING by adding quirky characters to SF5 at first. As long as the core is present no one is going to care, and it's going to sell well.

You add that, on TOP of 3-4 months later going, "A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES: MAKOTO" and hello there Super Street Fighter V and a million more copies sold.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    those are my four as well cow king with the addition of canada cup, with evo last only because i've already done it

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I don't know that I'll even make it to EVO next year, and I certainly won't attend any Big E tournaments if I can avoid it.

Combobreaker and CEO are a must attend next season. Final Round as well, due to its size and proximity.

But EVO? Meh.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Oh snap I forgot about Canada Cup deffo gotta hit that up if it runs again

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I really hope that I get the opportunity to meet some of you folks at Combobreaker next year

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I don't know that I'll even make it to EVO next year, and I certainly won't attend any Big E tournaments if I can avoid it.

Combobreaker and CEO are a must attend next season. Final Round as well, due to its size and proximity.

But EVO? Meh.

KiT, bro

• Options
    Kilroy wrote: »

But EVO? Meh.

KiT, bro

Oh yeah. DEFINITELY KIT as well.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular

Oh maaaan...

Wellllllllll.
    SFV is on the F2P+Microtransaction model, so there's incentive for them to go full Mugen, right? Right?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Can we please get Akira and at least one other Rival Schools character in SF5. They're not Darkstalkers characters. They'll fit with the theme of Street Fighting.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    One of the characters in Rising Thunder is a soviet Iron Giant style robot named Vlad. This character is awesome.

He has a flight mode that he can activate by holding up. There doesn't seem to be a minimum height requirement, so you can basically double tap up for a super fast overhead. He can also cancel into flight mode from his standing H as well as any air attack, meaning you can do some pretty stupid double overhead/low mixups and tricky crossups. The only reason this isn't broken as all hell is because flight mode uses fuel and flight canceling in particular uses over half the fuel meter. It recharges pretty fast, but you only really have time to do one flight cancel per mixup so it isn't just constant bullshit.

Other characters I like are the grappler who has some Tager style magnetic moves and can hold down the button to charge up his command throws and suck the enemy closer OR cancel the charge by dashing forwards or backwards. The sword dude has some pretty easy combos (3 hit target combo into command dash wallbounce finisher into juggle) and a good uppercut.

Balancing special moves with cooldown times is also really interesting. The shoto character, Chel, has the standard shoto specials of fireball, uppercut, and kick special. But while her fireball special can basically be spammed at will, her uppercut has a 6 second cooldown between uses, forcing you to rely on her normal anti airs and air throw in the meantime.

The universal mechanics are also pretty interesting. Every character has a crossup with down+heavy attack in the air; it does a turn around attack like Iori's turn around kick in KoF. Most characters have a command overhead with towards + medium attack.

But the most interesting thing is the Kinetic Advance/Deflect system that you can choose from in the load out screen. In Deflect you build Kinetic meter (different from super meter, which is under your character's health, kinetic meter is at the bottom of the screen and you can build up to two bars) by blocking and getting hit. You can spend a bar by pressing two special move buttons while you are blocking or getting hit to give yourself blue armor for a moment; if the opponent hits you while you have this armor you will take no damage and the opponent will be blown away (also taking no damage). It's like a combination alpha counter/burst mechanic; I'm not sure how easy it will be to bait since no one knows what they are doing online yet.

Kinetic Advance is more offensive. In this mode you build meter by attacking (attack has to hit or be blocked, no 3S style whiff spamming for meter building), and you can use 1 stock of meter to dash or super jump cancel pretty much any normal, special or throw in the game. This will also greatly reduce the cooldown of any special move that is currently recharging (for example, Chel's uppercut normally has a 6 second cooldown but if you dash cancel it that turns into 3.2 seconds instead). This opens up a metric fuck ton of combo and mixup options; like Vlad can combo into a knockdown, launch a meaty fireball (his first special move is a rocket projectile), super jump cancel the fireball then flight cancel the super jump for a pretty cool high low mixup that is protected by the meaty fireball. Or Chel can combo into her kick special which launches them right in front of her, then continue the combo with a light attack super jump canceled into her air throw OR just land under them and go for a pretty ambiguous left/right mixup.

Basically this game is fun and the easy mode control scheme absolutely works so far.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Taking into account the Street Fighter series, Slammasters, Final Fight, and potentially Rival Schools, Capcom easily has well over a hundred potential fighters for SFV.

And that's without the EX characters (since Capcom doesn't own them) or potential crossover characters like Asura or something.

Rival Schools was supposed to be a separate continuity (Sakura was a guest character against the creator's wishes in the first game, and she was assigned to a school that had no relevance to the story and had no other characters in it, then in the sequel she was removed along with her school), but Capcom apparently included the Rival Schools characters in the Street Fighter comics license and the characters could easily fit into Street Fighter anyways.

Either way, I wouldn't mind seeing an actual game using a battle system built on the one in Project Justice though. Or just release a rebalanced online-enabled version of Project Justice (and maybe throw in Raizo as a playable character since he was playable in the first one).

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Why hasn't Haggar ever been in a street fighter game

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    PH Blake, you are making that game sound real good

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I'd really like to head out to some of those other tournaments too but our first child is due around Christmas and I'll probably be lucky if I can even get out for Combobreaker, let alone go to other states

• Options
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    PH Blake, you are making that game sound real good

It's kind of great so far? I've only played around 6-7 online matches, but the netcode was good in all but one of them. The characters in the Alpha are all very distinct, the controls feel natural, and the system is fun. The game did crash when I tried to go back to the main menu, but that was the only bug I've encountered so far. I have to leave for a meeting in a half hour, but I'm definitely going to try and play some more tonight.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Rising Thunder sounds interesting but I don't have a PC and the general aesthetic just grab me.

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I love that it is hyper fighting robots, but I hope we can dress our robots up later. Considering it is a "Technical Alpha" I hope they are just grabbing feedback on flow/netcode. Because right now it looks like a game that looks way too polished for how generic the characters are.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Someone tell me about Edge

He sounds like my type of dude

Also apparently everyone that signed up for Rising Thunder WILL get in, it's just in waves

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Also apparently everyone that signed up for Rising Thunder WILL get in, it's just in waves

you think you know him

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »

you think you know him

almost made this exact post, thank you for having my back.

Radius on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Why hasn't Haggar ever been in a street fighter game

Zangief had Russia boycot him.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Wasn't there like a 2 hour block where Marvel was supposed to be on one of the streams, and instead that stream showed nothing?

Although denying KBR the mic was absolutely the right call. That's not a precedent you want to set.

What I think happened was there was like a top 8 or something of an anime side game that was supposed be on that stream just before kinderparty's marvel pool started. And it went like a hour over, and I'm guessing someone made the call that this last marvel pool was less important, and needed to get started somewhere else.

Don't know shit about other issues though, and it sounds like there definetly were some.

For my 2 cents overall, Evo was good, but as a spectator it felt like it had more problem spots and rougher ones than it's usually had in years past. I gather Evo has never quite been the picture of perfection it has presented itself as, but it seemed that this year it was more than a few small things here and there.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    whats the deal with big e tournaments?

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Hey, why didn't anyone tell me this "Chun-Li" character is really cool

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    whats the deal with big e tournaments?

Typically run late, usually with poor attention, often in bad venues.

I haven't gotten any badges from them either. Just wristbands. Which is kind of a small bummer, but yanno.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    My Internet is really good if anyone wants to play Xbox

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    I wish I could go to CEOtaku and play all the actual poverty anime fighters.

This discussion has been closed.