As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skyforge - New MMORPG by Allods Team and Westernization by Obsidian

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, it seems great. But it will not save you from idiocy, so...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The system they have in place for Okki tablets is bad. The reward only showing up every 2 days is bad enough, but when it does it's on a random mission and doesn't move around with the 40 minute refresh timer. If it ends up on a group instance that no one is queueing for, or a pvp battle that no one wants to play, well too bad you're just out of luck.

I read that blog post they did about suggestions for what people should do once they hit the spark limit, and it's almost entirely "focus on Order stuff, that can raise your prestige as well."

Well 1) I don't care about prestige, it's just an arbitrary number showing my character's overall power level. Making it go higher doesn't matter to me since everything scales and there are difficulty options anyway. What I want to do is get more skills and advance my character's abilities, which is entirely tied to the Ascension Atlas.

and 2) I already spend time with Order stuff. I send my agents on missions and they comes back in up to 8 hours. It's not something that takes up my entire time, I set it and forget about it until they return. Maybe if the Okki tablets and rings were actually obtainable i'd put more effort into working on that stuff, but as it is I have three provinces and only one of them is giving me anything because I haven't gotten enough tablets to put chapels on the other ones.

It's really starting to feel like a free to play-ass free to play game, and i'm still on the days of being a premium account that they gave. I can't imagine how bad it'll get once that lapses.

Hopefully things will pick up tomorrow once I can actually start progressing again.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Uh. Considering there is no way to buy okki tablets and those aren't part of the premium doubling rewards table, their existence and how they are given out have absolutely nothing to do with the game being free to play.

In fact a hard cap on the atlas that you can't buy your way out of is pretty much against the standard design of free to play games.

So like, I don't even know how skyforge is a "free to play-ass free to play" game. I'm actually pretty disappointed by the lack of shit I can buy!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm just not used to mmos having actual energy systems. Maybe this kind of stuff is standard now, I haven't played one in a long time.

• Options
    KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    Did my first 5 man mission as a tank, I was under-prestige'd pretty hard and was getting 4-5 shot.

Started playing the slipperiest weasel and just ran around threatening things, somehow it worked out.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Wow, I'm impressed with the little combo training quests for every class in the Holo Training room.

A nice touch.

I don't see any other classes on my sphere grid at the moment, does that stuff show up when I get to the node that "opens up the full ascension grid" or whatever?

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    @ForceVoid Yep, when you reach the node which looks like your classes symbol you'll no longer use normal sparks to progress but class specific ones. This unlocks the Upper Atlas. All three starting classes have the same path, so no worries though.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    @ForceVoid Yep, when you reach the node which looks like your classes symbol you'll no longer use normal sparks to progress but class specific ones. This unlocks the Upper Atlas. All three starting classes have the same path, so no worries though.

Do I have to do anything silly like play all three classes a bunch to get access to the other classes? Like, I'm not really into the non-paladin initial offerings, but would like to try ranged and such once I can.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

Do I have to do anything silly like play all three classes a bunch to get access to the other classes? Like, I'm not really into the non-paladin initial offerings, but would like to try ranged and such once I can.

Nope. Just fly down the paladin tree until you get to the big node. Then when you get to the big grid, you can right click and set a destination for Gunner, Kinetic, whatever.

• Options
    Hmm, doing this detour to get Archer will add a week of time to the process. It might be worth it, though, just to add some variety on the road to Gunner.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Sooo I was looking at my Atlas, and the class I really want to play, Gunner, seems to be super, SUPER far from where Paladin is. Its gonna take a long time to get there.

• Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    Popped back in before premium runs out (tomorrow night). I really enjoyed my lightbinder and felt like I was starting to get the hang of berserker playing a mission as one for the second time. That leap attack. Caught in persistent AOE? Jump out. Enemy charging an attack? Jump in. Killed a guy and don't want to miss a second of DPS? Jump to the next one. Chainsword just needs to be louder. :)

xgq4q57s6bh3.gif
    OHH monetization! The finger thing means the monetization!

The monetization is set up for binge playing, which doesn't fit how I enjoy games or life in general. If they also offered buying premium as game time instead of real time at maybe 20-25% the amount (so ~16 hours for the price of 3 day and ~36 hours for the price of seven day), I'd be happy to throw some money at them. But there are a billion subscription services in the world, and all of them seem to rely on people subscribing and then not actually using what they paid for, plus it's a lot of record keeping and extra work on their end...

Leela: Oh, put down the binoculars, Fry. The wall of that strip club isn't going to collapse twice in one day.
    Fry: I know, and I've grown to accept that.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

I had to get 200 kills as a paladin (I play cryomancer) to open up my 6th talent slot, but I think that's pretty much it. At least I hope so - playing a class I only have a few abilities for and one I don't even have weapons for was a pain.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

I had to get 200 kills as a paladin (I play cryomancer) to open up my 6th talent slot, but I think that's pretty much it. At least I hope so - playing a class I only have a few abilities for and one I don't even have weapons for was a pain.

For quests like that, go to the Training Room and wipe out the pack of six little mechanical mooks. It's boring as all hell, but they're easy to take on so you don't have to worry about having stuff unlocked in whatever class Flavius is having you use.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Sooo I was looking at my Atlas, and the class I really want to play, Gunner, seems to be super, SUPER far from where Paladin is. Its gonna take a long time to get there.

I counted the sparks required and my rough estimate was four weeks, if no detours are made and the entire weekly limit is reached each time.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular

its 200 as paladin, then 200 as Lightbinder, then 200 as Cryomancer. You can cheese them in the training room pretty quickly though. The last 2 talent unlock quests apparently aren't in our version of the game yet.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    You can equip drops you get for classes you've unlocked even if you're not playing as them, so you can start with pretty OP weapons. I don't know why I tried to equip pally and cryo weapons while using my LB, but I did. If it's not too busy to where spawns are dead before you can tag them the first open world zone might also be pretty fast to 200. If all else fails and the training room is too boring, you can turn down the difficulty on earlier missions to the point where even lowbie characters can breeze through.

• Options
    Yeah I did them in an open world zone and a lot of times some helpful Cryomancer did half of my work for me and I even got some pity rewards for it, but next time I'll probably try that training room trick.

• Options
    A bit of a request for anyone who is enjoying the game: even if you hit the insight and class spark cap, keep playing.

More to the point, go run the newer dungeons and group dungeons you unlocked during the week because your gear probably sucks.

The higher in prestige I go the more often I'm seeing people who just aren't taking time to upgrade their stuff and end up awful and really drag groups down in harder encounters.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Blain wrote: »
    You can equip drops you get for classes you've unlocked even if you're not playing as them, so you can start with pretty OP weapons. I don't know why I tried to equip pally and cryo weapons while using my LB, but I did. If it's not too busy to where spawns are dead before you can tag them the first open world zone might also be pretty fast to 200. If all else fails and the training room is too boring, you can turn down the difficulty on earlier missions to the point where even lowbie characters can breeze through.

I wish you could equip weapons for classes you hadn't unlocked, though, as I've had some inventory space taken up as a result of this.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It feels like the open regions have multiple sub areas for different prestige levels. The first bit of the caves went well... the second bit is destroying me and my damage is crap.

For anyone starting, archer may be a good class to head towards first, since the ring before it has lots of strength and a strength symbol, and theres another like it nearby.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Blain wrote: »

I wish you could equip weapons for classes you hadn't unlocked, though, as I've had some inventory space taken up as a result of this.

I just dismantle that stuff, since I figure by the time I actually unlock that class i'll have access to something a million times better.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It feels like the open regions have multiple sub areas for different prestige levels. The first bit of the caves went well... the second bit is destroying me and my damage is crap.

For anyone starting, archer may be a good class to head towards first, since the ring before it has lots of strength and a strength symbol, and theres another like it nearby.

The regions stretch from the full level range, so if the region unlocks at 12k, and the next region unlocks at like 20k, it'll start the zone at 12k at the start and the end will be near 20k so demolishing you if you try to rush through it. You'll have to take lots of breaks in between clearing the regions.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I've been playing this game, having a fairly good time. Decided to work towards Necromancer then Warlock (starting as Cryo). I was making some huge headway on getting to Necro, figured I would have that unlocked in a day or two... until suddenly the cost of the nodes tripled or quadrupled.

Wow, that managed to kill my enthusiasm fast. It felt plenty grindy enough even with temporary premium. Now it feels like I would just need to fish for 3x or more spark upgrades, and my free premium time runs out in a day or so. I wanted to toss them some money, but I can't find a good reason too. All the premium account does is make the game less of a slog (but still a slog nonetheless).

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Welcome to the freemium business model.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Free to play is not the same as free. My guess is that most people would've figured this out already.

If you're still having fun in the game, then throw a few bucks at it. If you're not having fun, walk away and play something else.

• Options
    I figure on these like subscription games. If the game is good enough that $15 a month feels right, get on it.

I don't think anyone would be blamed for thinking that this one is a bit too grindy even with the subscription perks, though.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I think you may be misunderstanding my issue entirely. I have no issue with freemium models if done right. But I don't know why I would want to pay them. It just makes their hideous grind MILDLY less hideous.

Where as I've dropped 150 dollars on Marvel Heroes, around 100 on Heroes of the Storm, etc. I feel like I'm getting, like, actual value from giving them money. But the snippy responses are appreciated regardless.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    CerufelCerufel Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's quite a lot of grinding involved. I enjoy games that have a good grind but this one is really too repetitive (you want to play the Factory 501 AGAIN today, right?). Also having trouble getting into the plot, what there is of it. The "press Space" as every conversation interaction is not enthralling in any way. But meh, I seem to be getting off topic. There IS a terrible grind and paying them $$ doesn't seem to yield the same value for the player as other freemium games, agreed Iblis.

• Options
    Cerufel wrote: »
    Yeah, there's quite a lot of grinding involved. I enjoy games that have a good grind but this one is really too repetitive (you want to play the Factory 501 AGAIN today, right?). Also having trouble getting into the plot, what there is of it. The "press Space" as every conversation interaction is not enthralling in any way. But meh, I seem to be getting off topic. There IS a terrible grind and paying them $$ doesn't seem to yield the same value for the player as other freemium games, agreed Iblis.

The plot is not helped by the fact that this is one of the worst voice acting I've ever heard. I don't usually even pay much attention to the quality of it, but in this one you can basically hear them yawn out of boredom between the trite lines of dialogue they've been given to read. It doesn't really kill my desire to play but they might as well have saved their pennies and gone text only IMO. Or maybe used 0.1% of their budget to get an actual writer to do the writing instead of an disinterested intern.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    People always make the joke about interns writing stories. But the fact of the matter is a writer was hired to do those lines. Of course given where the game came from, it might be less the writing being horrible and more the translation. Game was Russian at first after all.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    Also if someone wouldn't mind inviting Keysier Stonecleave to the Pantheon (if there is room) that'd be great

• Options
    Regions seem like an easy-mode for getting higher level gear. Sure the enemies are a bit tougher than I'd like but nowhere as tough as same level solo instance bosses would be. Gets especially easy if you just shadow a proper level character doing the same quests and help them.

• Options
    CerufelCerufel Registered User regular
    I like Regions, but I also hate them, XD they can be very time consuming (especially if you are not quite high enough level to really be out there on your own). I agree though and the bulk, if not all, of my equipment has come from doing quests there.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Okay folks, the current Pantheon upgrade is sitting at 2154/2400 right now. Please make an effort to complete the construction missions in your order! Even if it looks like you might "fail" them, please try anyway. A failure still gives a minimum of 5 Construction items for the Pantheon!

Also, if you are in the Pantheon and have decided that this game is not for you, please make room for others! We are at our maximum capacity and there is no way to tell who is active and who is not from within the game. No offence will be taken if you leave, and we can certainly use the space if you're inactive!

Thanks!!!

26904.png
  • Options
    Uhh... are you required to continue the main questline? I can't do the second training zone part with platforming bits, I just can't. If it was some optional thing I wouldn't mind or care, I think the jumping puzzles in GW2 were great. But this is part of the main questline ... ugh. I feel like flipping a table or punching a monitor or a developer, such shitty design. :(

• Options
    CF1CF1 Registered User regular
    Uhh... are you required to continue the main questline? I can't do the second training zone part with platforming bits, I just can't. If it was some optional thing I wouldn't mind or care, I think the jumping puzzles in GW2 were great. But this is part of the main questline ... ugh. I feel like flipping a table or punching a monitor or a developer, such shitty design. :(

I felt this way about the Nedder Testing Area, kept playing around it, and eventually just overpowered through it. Trying to find good Paladin info (or just.....good info) has been shockingly ridiculous. But I'm almost Necro which is going to open up more questions, I'm sure.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    You only have to do 4/8 of the training exercises, or something like that, so you can choose just not to do the platforming ones.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I really don't find the game that grindy.

I chose the highest paying spark of the type I want using the area search. Usually can find a 100+ somewhere. End up getting like 180 or more. Occasionally in the 1500 range if I get a nice 3x group one

I mean the cap is only 10kish on average. I could probably hit that in a few hours with a reasonable group. Class sparks take a little longer.

With about 22 areas open to me to mess around in and various bosses and enemy types being way more varied than, say, marvel heroes...

I dunno. I really think the start is probably the most annoying part. Options really open up as you progress.

Also that Pundits quest is broken in that you can talk to the dude, investigate like two research probes then F11 to bail and the quest will progress even without finishing the Nedder. Because that place is awful.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The dungeons definitely get way more interesting as you progress. They made the mistake of confusing "newb friendly" mechanics with boring mechanics.