As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Possibly moving to South Korea, any advice would be great!

2»

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    By the way, my wife was offered the job this past Friday.

Looks like all of this information is going to come in handy. :biggrin:

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Congratulations Chilly! So much good info in this thread already. I'd also recommend
    http://www.korea4expats.com/

That website has a ton of information relevant to expats in Korea. The most frequent topics can be found through the menu at the top of their site. You can also find a ton of information just by using their search function. For instance, here is their page about bringing pets into Korea.
    http://www.korea4expats.com/article-bringing-pets-to-south-korea.html

By they way, do you know which KIS campus your wife will be working at? If you're living near the Gangnam campus and you ever get that itch to grapple, I can introduce you to our BJJ gym near Yeoksam Station.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
    edited October 2020
    I was hoping to find somewhere to train depending on our finances. I'll definitely take you up on that offer if it's something we can do.

Who's the head teacher there? Do they have a website?

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Hoho, you're in the middle of Gangnam.

Don't have too much fun drinking.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Yeah...we're pretty close to that area. Saw that earlier while I was looking around.

Whoo!!!

• krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Bundang is a nice place to live if you like peace and quiet. It's a well-to-do suburb of Seoul where a lot of professionals live. Unfortunately, since it's the suburbs, it's not really great for partying. Luckily, the Pangyo district where the KIS campus is located is connected to Seoul (Gangnam area) through the ShinBundang subway line. It's a new driver-less subway line that can take you from Pangyo station to Gangnam station in under 15 minutes.

Here's a link with info about our gym. The head instructor is Deuk Young Jang who is a John Frankl black belt.
    Lineage: Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie Sr. > Carlos Gracie Junior > Roberto Maia > John Frankl > Deuk Young Jang
    http://jiujiubjj.com/reviews/korean-bjj-jiu-jitsu-world/
    There are also a couple BJJ gyms in Bundang. The first is King Cobra JiuJitsu which is an affiliate gym run by another John Frankl black belt. The second gym is Gun JiuJitsu which is run by a Renzo Gracie black belt.

Finally, if possible, you should also try and set up a Korean credit card as soon as you can. It will make life in Korea much more convenient. You can use your Korean credit card for pretty much everything here, even for something as small as a pack of gum at the convenience store. Also, you'll want to create an account at one of the larger internet shopping malls (gmarket.co.kr, 11st.co.kr, interpark.co.kr, or auction.co.kr). Since Korea is so compact, online purchases are basically "overnight" shipping. Finally, for banking in Korea, I'd recommend KEB (Korean Exchange Bank). They are the most English friendly of the local Korean banks and are one of the few Korean banks to offer internet/mobile banking in English.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • ÄlterÄlter Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Yes to everything Krapst just mentioned. (I used to live in the Bundang area myself for a little over a year.) Pangyo is a pretty solid place to be in. Additionally, there are a few other spots in your area that are pretty great to know about.

As far as partying goes, Seohyeon is only a few stops away from you and offers a pretty decent mix of both Western and Korean friendly bars and scenes. In fact there is a great Western style pub, Travelers, that offers pretty authentic American and Canadian style foods as well as your obligatory Wednesday night quiz nights. Plenty of other great shops and such too out in that area. Plus, everything in general should be a bit cheaper than Gangnam.

Side note, you are just a stop away from Jeongja. Which is home of the store "I Love Cookie," they carry a lot of Western products that are otherwise relatively hard to find in Korea, such as certain cooking products, cheeses, and lets not forget to mention the otherwise rare and/or expensive stick of deodorant.

Älter on
    That's the sound of my shoes.
    I hope this isn't considered a necro post, but I wanted to give an update.

My wife and I made it safely to South Korea after 17 total hours of plane time (19 if you include the airport wait time) and are being housed in the Seongnam area. We've been here 5 days and are enjoying it so far. Still getting used to the time difference (we're 13 hours ahead of where we used to live) and our sleep is a bit jacked, but we're getting used to it little by little.

The food has been great and so have the people. I feel like we're really going to enjoy the next two years. Possibly more, because my wife is LOVING the school.

Thanks for all the advice!

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I hope this isn't considered a necro post, but I wanted to give an update.

My wife and I made it safely to South Korea after 17 total hours of plane time (19 if you include the airport wait time) and are being housed in the Seongnam area. We've been here 5 days and are enjoying it so far. Still getting used to the time difference (we're 13 hours ahead of where we used to live) and our sleep is a bit jacked, but we're getting used to it little by little.

The food has been great and so have the people. I feel like we're really going to enjoy the next two years. Possibly more, because my wife is LOVING the school.

Thanks for all the advice!

Hey Chilly! Glad to hear things are going well. As it is, I believe there is a fireworks festival going on there at some point soon if it hasn't already. As well, Mulympia is happening also which is a world tournament for Taekwondo, Haidong Gumdo, Karate and one other one that escapes me at the moment. But in case you are interested in it I think it's going on for a few more days and looking for something to do.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook