As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime Buttoneering!

• SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Wow, I missed PAX last year but yeah, buttoneering has really taken a fall.
    I don't get it. Pin trading is uber expensive compared to this.

Oh well, for what it's worth, I'm in for this year!
    Jindrax wrote: »

Thanks Jon. I put the link up in the main post.

As far as for the usual collection and presentation to Gabe/Jerry. I'm not really sure how to get a collection area set up like in the past. I don't know very many people who enforce at PAX. We could try to just collect buttons at the meetups and try to aim for presenting it to Gabe/Jerry at the beginning of the signing. Part of me isn't against the idea of skipping this year and trying to come back next year with a better plan if we need to. I imagine this year will be fairly small.

We could put together a smaller item for them instead maybe?
    Like 2 hats or something?

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    This is one of our very favorite parts of PAX. The BF and I have a terrific time coming up with the best pop culture mashups for buttons!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    So I had a bit of time at the end of work today and I made a quick first draft of my button. I may change it a bit, I may not. Not entirely sure yet. I also want to experiment with the metallic acetate finishing offered by Pure Buttons.
    buttoneering_pp2015.png

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    zeromyst wrote: »
    So I had a bit of time at the end of work today and I made a quick first draft of my button. I may change it a bit, I may not. Not entirely sure yet. I also want to experiment with the metallic acetate finishing offered by Pure Buttons.
    buttoneering_pp2015.png

ok..I bow to your creativity on this one..gives me a few ideas.

• Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    zeromyst wrote: »
    buttoneering_pp2015.png

MUST HAVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MiddyBotMiddyBot Registered User regular
    Woo Buttoneering!

I'm glad something is going to happen, it's going to be my second year c: I'll have to craft up something wearable and easily spotted so someone will know I'm a buttoneer. And to try harder at trading buttons if I recognize any... I saw a few but we were too far apart for me to ask for a trade, so here's to Buttoneering'15!

I'll bring last year's buttons too, as pictured in my icon.

• contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    Gotta remember to do this this year

PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Serenity wrote: »

I've found a small corkboard that we can use for the collection. I think I'll try collecting everyone's pins for it at the meetups.

I've added the usual time for meetups to the main post. If there is enough interest, I wouldn't mind adding a lunch time meetup on Friday @ Juicy Cafe. I'm not sure how big the crowds are around that area during lunch. It may be a bit hard to carve out some space and be able to talk/trade.

Jindrax on
    zerzhul wrote: »
    @JonXP thoughts?

I incorrectly assumed that pin trading wouldn't cannibalize buttoneering so much, but it seems like it really has put a damper on it (in addition to general numbers dwindling on community events). I hope it still happens but I will probably just bring buttons from previous years that haven't been given out yet.

Pin trading is better marketed and is modeled after the same thing at theme parks, so non-forum folks are probably more familiar with it. It's also easier to find pins than buttons at PAX, since the pins have fixed locations and there are thousands more of them.

At the end of the day, pin trading is a shameless PA marketing activity that generates even more revenue from PAXers - hypothetically it got support to launch because of the success of buttoneering. I may be a cranky old cynic, but it kind of jerks my chain that PA sort of 'took' buttoneering away from the community. IMO, buttoneering is vastly, vastly superior to pin trading because a) the buttons are more fun and more creative, b) attendees can participate in it in a very hands-on way, instead of just Paying the Man to market their schtup, and c) what differentiated PAX from all other conventions when I first discovered it was the incredible community around the convention. It wasn't just a giant money churn, it was about the people who were going as much as about the con itself. Gabe and Tycho kinda joke around about being greedy capitalists but it's not entirely a joke. I would have rather seen them promote community activities like this than cannibalize them.

It bugs me.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't have any issues with the pin trading, and it's a popular thing in general not just at PAX, I was just surprised that it (appears to have - it's just anecdotal evidence) had such an effect on the buttoneering. It could be entirely unrelated!

with really only 2 years of it, I don't think there is enough data to really tell. I didn't do buttons last year due to finances. However this year I believe we are still planning on doing them, and I'm an active pinny

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    My wild guess is PAX is too big compared to buttoneering now. Sell outs have less buttoneers coming to PAX, and a higher density of people spread across multiple paths to multiple locations means less chance of randomly running into someone. While the end of PAX meetup feels like almost the same amount of people trading each year, the amount of those people I see during pax has gone from dozens to almost zero over the years.

the twitter group of whatever it was used for meetups really helps mitigate this problem, though.

jCyyTSo.png
    Yeah, the fast sellouts I'm sure doesn't help much at all, and may be a much larger part of the issue

• alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    I'll be there this year and can assist with button collection if you want - I have the bin that's been left at BYOC the last several years and I'm sure I can arrange that again this year.

I only traded about 60 of my 250 buttons last year, so I'll be bringing the same ones this year. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I haven't buttoneered in a few years! I wonder if I can come up with a decent design this year...

daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
    alegria wrote: »
    I'll be there this year and can assist with button collection if you want - I have the bin that's been left at BYOC the last several years and I'm sure I can arrange that again this year.

I only traded about 60 of my 250 buttons last year, so I'll be bringing the same ones this year. :)

:D Yeah, if we can do the usual BYOC dropoff, that would be great!

• laurentheflutelaurentheflute Leader of The Returners AustinRegistered User regular
    PAX South was my first PAX and somebody kindly gave me a pin for my lanyard so I could feel cool and part of the crowd. Since then, I've been trying to figure out the cultural difference between pins and buttons in the PAX community. I was thinking about making some special PAX-only buttons for the band to give out to trading people because I think it's a cool idea ... I can't generally head to meetups because I'm usually at our table, but that does mean I'm super easy to find all the time.

Is this a thing? Is this a thing I should do? Is this buttoneering? Pinnery? None of the above?

I got self-conscious about having a self-promotional signature. Now I don't have one anymore. HI, I'M LAUREN, I PLAY MUSIC AND VIDEO GAMES
    Yes, that is a thing you should do :)

PAX South was my first PAX and somebody kindly gave me a pin for my lanyard so I could feel cool and part of the crowd. Since then, I've been trying to figure out the cultural difference between pins and buttons in the PAX community. I was thinking about making some special PAX-only buttons for the band to give out to trading people because I think it's a cool idea ... I can't generally head to meetups because I'm usually at our table, but that does mean I'm super easy to find all the time.

Is this a thing? Is this a thing I should do? Is this buttoneering? Pinnery? None of the above?

Pin trading (Pinny Arcade) is the exchange of trademarked Penny Arcade images that are produced and sold through official PA channels. It's well organized, with many opportunities to buy and trade pins throughout PAX. It's a for-profit activity done through Penny Arcade.

Buttoneering is an unsponsored community event, where attendees create their own buttons along any theme (usually pop culture jokes) and exchange them for free. It's organized only through the forums and is a grass-roots, non profit bearing activity. It also predates Pinny Arcade by about 5 years.

IMO, Buttoneering is better (you can read my mini rant a few posts up about why) - but regardless, they're both legit PAX experiences to participate in. People often get them mixed up.

• Crispy262Crispy262 HuffleDRUNK @Hogwarts Castle BasementRegistered User regular
    I was thinking about making some special PAX-only buttons for the band to give out to trading people because I think it's a cool idea ... I can't generally head to meetups because I'm usually at our table, but that does mean I'm super easy to find all the time.

If you post where you will be, the buttoneers will find you!!

vqyaoonar0oe.png
    Retired [E]
    HUFFLEPUFF 2011-18
    https://facebook.com/groups/HufflepuffTWDT/

• laurentheflutelaurentheflute Leader of The Returners AustinRegistered User regular
    Yes! I can take part in a PAX tradition! (at least in theory)

I'm excited. I'll let you know when I've figured out WTF to make and whether we can make it happen.

I got self-conscious about having a self-promotional signature. Now I don't have one anymore. HI, I'M LAUREN, I PLAY MUSIC AND VIDEO GAMES
    Hey all!
    Just figured since we don't have a PAX discount code yet this year that it was worth sharing this PurButtons discount code with everyone:
    2itpnhi.png

It ends tomorrow so order your buttons if you haven't already!

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • DapperPumpkinDapperPumpkin Registered User regular
    Hopefully I'll have time to design something before PAX so I can participate!

Hey all!
    Just figured since we don't have a PAX discount code yet this year that it was worth sharing this PurButtons discount code with everyone:
    2itpnhi.png
    It ends tomorrow so order your buttons if you haven't already!
    We do actually have a discount code, you just have to PM someone for it. It's earlier in the thread I think.

zerzhul wrote: »
    We do actually have a discount code, you just have to PM someone for it. It's earlier in the thread I think.

Oh, I thought I had seen something earlier that said there as no time to get one this year.

qxd8or7ouox3.png
    That was absolutely a thing that was postulated, but Jindrax asked them anyhow :)
    PureButtons has given us another promo code for this year! If your interested in ordering from PureButtons, please send me a PM and I'll respond with the code to use to help save on your order.

edited July 2015

I've found a small corkboard that we can use for the collection. I think I'll try collecting everyone's pins for it at the meetups.

I've added the usual time for meetups to the main post. If there is enough interest, I wouldn't mind adding a lunch time meetup on Friday @ Juicy Cafe. I'm not sure how big the crowds are around that area during lunch. It may be a bit hard to carve out some space and be able to talk/trade.

Does someone still have a connection with BYOC? we could see if we could get in contact with some of the enforcers there and ask if they could accommodate a pin dropoff again this year?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    I ordered mine today. 3 x 100 1.5" buttons. Three Skyrim shields to go with the three I made in 2013. I couldn't go last year. :(

I'm debating how many to order this year. I always end up going home with a mass amount. I know I'm bringing all my previous years though

edited July 2015
    We're doing buttons this year - I'll have Pre PAX game night buttons at the Sheraton on Thursday night - this is the only place you can get them because: event buttons. There will also be special SchlitzKrieg buttons again this year.

SchlitzKrieg Button, courtesy of @JobiwanKenobi and his formidable comedy skillz:
    lg7x4b63r3ze.jpg

Game Night Button TBA

LexiconGrrl on
  • YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I have given Jindrax an updated 2015 buttoneering button.

I'm still debating making a new one for myself. I'm just not sure I have time. Besides, I forgot to trade most of my last ones because I had misplaced the bag of extras... And Betty Boop was pretty cool.

I would need inspiration for an easily drawn, strong female geeky character. And I'm not feeling very inspired this year.

Yamara on
    We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
    jonxp wrote: »
    I was trying to think of a way to distribute (the PureButtons code) privately as well, maybe we can come up with something related to the site in the future.

What about posting it on the buttoneering site, after people have created a login and/or posted buttons?

edited August 2015
    Yamara wrote: »
    I would need inspiration for an easily drawn, strong female geeky character. And I'm not feeling very inspired this year.

What about Furiosa? It would be very on-point with the themes this year.

LexiconGrrl on
    edited August 2015
    I'll be bringing my Hylian Shield buttons back this year and I'll also be bringing these new shields as well from Skyward Sword.
    button2_15.jpg?1438552818
    button1_15.jpg?1438552917

Also, here is the 2015 Official Buttoneering Button! Thanks Yamara for the art.
    tlegcd0k2jtc.png?1438552849

Jindrax on
    It never occurred to me to do Mad Max. I still need to see the movie. :\ That's a fantastic suggestion, but I'm not sure about my ability to draw her. Pretty compelling though... Hrm. I'll see how my budget ends up.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    It never occurred to me to do Mad Max. I still need to see the movie. :\
    YES YOU DO

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • chopchop Registered User regular
    Stop by Info booth in the morning and the afternoon/evening. There are usually at least two buttoneers there.

• Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I still have a massive haul of buttons from 2011, the last time I was at PAX. So yeah, I'll be bringing those for the multitudes of people who (obviously) didn't get one

PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm a little worried about being stuck with buttons but they're Skyrim buttons, so... Maybe I can get non-buttoneers to trade other stuff for them. Anything I get is going for Extra Life anyway.

• VolkatVolkat SANVERS WARRIOR T-town, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    [edit: removed image as changed submissions] Finished with my new designs. Just gotta submit and get them paid for. I will still be bringing my one from last year, too, so...yeah, there's that. 3 weeks!

Volkat on
    SOON.
This discussion has been closed.