As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2015 BYOC General Info

DreggorDreggor [E] PAX East PC Room DeputyRegistered User regular
edited August 2015 in PAX West
Hello all!

PAX is approaching quickly and it's that time of year again, BYOC GROUP SEATING! I am running a few weeks behind but that wont phase you super awesome people now will it? The deal is pretty much the same as last year and every PAX before. Check out the details below and get those requests in! Last year we had a packed house and we unfortunately had to split up some groups that did not pre-register (tisk tisk) so I highly advise that if you have a group to sent in a request.

I also want to point out that we have the PC Mod showcase which sits right inside the main BYOC entrance, so if you have an awesome rig that makes others drool send me some pics (OF YOUR RIG) and if it makes us feel good in all the right places we will grant you one of these epic spots.

Group Seating Details:
GROUP SEATING OPEN DATE: CLOSED!
GROUP SEATING CLOSE DATE: CLOSED!
Group Seating Requirements:
  • Your party is considered a group if you have SIX or more people.
  • Groups must pre-register seating assignments prior to PAX, or else seats will be based on first come first serve availability.
  • Requests are taken on a first come, first serve basis.
  • Passes for ALL 4 days of PAX! (recommended to maximize fun, but not a hard requirement)
  • If you have multiple BYOC badges, those count as seats (group members) so if you have 6 BYOC passes in your "group" (regardless the number of physical bodies) you qualify for group seating.

Below is a survey by the BYOC Coordinators, if all attendees could take a look at this and fill it out we will have a better idea of what everyone wants to play. Totes thanks!
BYOC Attendee Gaming Survey

To request group seating, use the seating chart below to choose your seats and email pax_pc at paxsite dot com
Include the following information when requesting:
  • Group Name
  • Number of People (include handles too)
  • Desired Location

Seating Chart:
PAX-2015_Prime-GS.png

-=Dreggor
PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
PAX East PC Room Deputy
Dreggor on

• DreggorDreggor [E] PAX East PC Room Deputy Registered User regular
    Reserved for the possibility of future awesomeness.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    I had posted a few questions in the General prime FAQ thread about the BYOC, but I will repost them here.

I've been to every pax east since it's inception, however since I wasn't able to attend this year a few friends and I decided to make the trip to prime for the first time. The first few years of pax east the BYOC was amazing, but over the years it really went downhill, now it's nothing more than a spot people go to drop off stuff during pax. There are almost no tournaments in the byoc anymore and and any planned events of any kind seem very poorly planned to say the least. Ive always heard how prime is way bigger and better in every way and I hope that applies to the byoc.

Is the prime BYOC actually going to be worth attending? Are you going to have tournaments/contests for games, and if so which games will they be for so we can download or update them in advance. Will there be prizes for these tournaments/contests? Its not all about winning prizes but it's nice to have an incentive to actually be in the byoc. If there's nothing going on there is rather be out enjoying the rest of pax, ya know?

Will there be early entry for BYOC so we can setup our gear and register? This has always been the case at east, but as I said this is my first time at prime so I'm just checking.

• shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Whether or not byoc is worth it is pretty subjective... I've done east byoc, prime byoc, and south byoc and find it to be worth it every time. I usually only participate in 2-3 tournaments, and generally find them to be well organized. The only problem I've had is being able to hear the tournament announcer... loud environment + headphones + location farther away from the speakers = missed tournament announcements :(

An admin can confirm, but byoc has always had early access TO BYOC (not the rest of pax) on Friday only, to set up gear & whatnot.

Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
    thr4sher wrote: »
    Is the prime BYOC actually going to be worth attending? Are you going to have tournaments/contests for games, and if so which games will they be for so we can download or update them in advance. Will there be prizes for these tournaments/contests? Its not all about winning prizes but it's nice to have an incentive to actually be in the byoc. If there's nothing going on there is rather be out enjoying the rest of pax, ya know?

Will there be early entry for BYOC so we can setup our gear and register? This has always been the case at east, but as I said this is my first time at prime so I'm just checking.

Last year at Prime we sold out and filled every seat (over 400), BYOC at Prime has great user support and the LanFest guys are working much more closely with PAX Enforcers to ensure an amazing time to be had by all. We are also working on prizing for tournaments as we speak. The BYOC team will be releasing the game list and tourny list soon (in this thread) so keep your eyes peeled.

Yes, BYOC attendees will have early access into the Annex early on Friday like previous years, or at least we have not been told anything different.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    Seating chart updated with what I have so far.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    Well I've never attended prime, or south, but I can tell you for a fact that while yes "being worth it" is obviously subjective, the quality of the east BYOC has gone downhill every year.

In the past we had lots of random little events like hard drive shuffleboard, paper airplanes, etc... And for the most part they still do that however it isn't planned very well. It feels like they just get bored and decide to do something. As for actual gaming related events in the BYOC they are almost non-existent now. IF they do run something, take TF2 for example (the most recent example I can think of), it's a complete disaster. No configs on the servers, or passwords to prevent random people in the BYOC or Freeplay from joining during a match, not to mention the admins not understanding how the game functions in a competitive setting. I won't even complain about the fact it was a 5v5 instead of the standard 6v6, and there were no class restrictions or weapon bans... It's not a serious tournament, it's just for fun so honestly that wasn't a problem, but using maps like hydro that don't function in a competitive setting or playing a map like gravelpit which does work, but declaring a winner after one half of one round. It's an attack/ defend map where each team gets to attack and then defend and the team with the faster time wins, but the admins didn't know that. In the middle of it they decided to run a random event ( paper airplanes I think) and everyone got up for that and the tournament never finished. That's only one example but there are many.

In the first few years of the east BYOC, while the show floor was open and it was slow in the BYOC they wouldn't do anything major. Occasionally they would do a quick wiki race for a prize (i7 CPUs for wiki races one year), or a round of gungame on counter-strike, or a timed contest in a flash game like epidemic or QWOP, or a Twitter based scavenger hunt. When the show floor closed they would do tournaments, but always time them in order to prevent overlaps with other tournaments in the BYOC or Freeplay areas so people could play in more than 1. Late night would be the longer non-game related events like paper airplanes and hard drive shuffleboard. It was planned well, and if the admins didn't already know how the games they wanted to run a tournament for worked competitively they would find a good league online and read their rules to at least get an idea, and they would have the necessary config files and test their servers ahead of time so that things ran smoothly.

The pax BYOC isn't a competitive lan, but in the past the east BYOC was always able to accommodate players who preferred casual play as well as those who liked a more structured organized competitive setting. Nobody felt alienated and everyone had fun. Now the admins seem to look down on and ignore competitive players. In that debacle of a TF2 event I mentioned I remember respectfully voicing my concerns over how that (and other events) was run and was told "don't complain, you should be thanking us. We don't have to do this."

Over the years at east the BYOC has become less and less popular. A lot of seats are empty. Some people don't even bring computers anymore, they just get the ticket to have a place to drop stuff off and to avoid the lines on opening day. The majority of people do bring computers but most of them aren't in the BYOC much because there's hardly ever anything going on.

Sorry for the long post. It was not meant to slam east, or the admins. I mainly said all of this to shed some light on how things have become there to hopefully get it heading back in the right direction. It was also said to explain what I mean by "is it worth it".

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Do you know when the cutoff date for buying BYOC badges is? (Assuming they don't sell out.)

row1.pngrow2.png
    My friends and I just got ours the other day. I can't say for sure but I doubt there's a cutoff. The space is already laid out for the BYOC on the floor plan and they have all the switches and tables/chairs to accommodate a full house. Can't see why they wouldn't keep them on sale until the last minute. Again this is just a guess, but I'd get one sooner rather than later. I was shocked to see them still on sale.

@thr4sher I would like to thank you for your candid input, this is useful to us to help make BYOC the best event we can for the attendees. I will make sure the events guys see this and take it to heart. I can't promise it will be everything you want it to be, but we can strive to be make it better. The comments about "don't complain, you should be thanking us. We don't have to do this." make me a little sick to my stomach and never want to hear this from an attendee. We are there to make the best possible experience for you guys if this is ever said to you at Prime or South (I am not really that involved with East any more) please ask for me directly at the NOC and I will address it personally.

All I can ask is that you give us another chance and we will show you a good time! (that sounds a little strange out of context).

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    I've been lucky enough to do BYOC every year with the exception of my first year. While the organizational state of BYOC has arguably varied from year to year, I still think it's very much worth it. It's a great place to unwind after a day of panels and expo hall excursions. Being able to be physically proximal to the people you're playing with is such a treat. BYOC really is where the bulk of my fond memories of PAX are formed and where I am reminded of great times gone by as well.

vhkbviT.png
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

Hey @thr4sher, thanks for the feedback about PAX East BYOC. As @Dreggor mentioned, we appreciate the feedback and use it to help mould the next PAX.
    thr4sher wrote: »
    I've been to every pax east since it's inception, however since I wasn't able to attend this year a few friends and I decided to make the trip to prime for the first time. ...

I do want to call out something though. I'm sorry that you weren't able to make it to PAX East 2015. It was a special PAX, because it was, and perhaps I'm a bit biased, so you'll have to excuse me... the best PAX East we've ever put on. BYOC was packed! So packed, that our usual no-show rate was less than 5% which caused us to have to bring in more tables, chairs, and powers, just to sit everyone!
    11075183_939283706102650_7875330926103646545_o.jpg
    10981373_939284202769267_1540459628790795150_o.jpg

Not to mention, The LANFest crew really stepped it up this year at PAX East and took over the show. Buckley Johnson was the meecee of BYOC this year and was a welcomed personality (pictured below wearing angry cat hat).
    11016129_938411909523163_6965099145674665873_o.jpg

So, I can tell you, from PAX East Yester-years.. I've been listening to the feedback received and last PAX East we really stepped up our game.

I will caution you though, that the vibe is different at PAX Prime. Not bad different.. just the room configuration is totally different, and there isn't a centralized stage, like we've had the past couple of years. The BYOC area itself is much bigger than the East counterpart, and I believe this year, we're putting even more seats in.

While, I'm not going to be at PAX Prime this year (me and my wife are expecting our first child literally any day now as of the writing of this post, but officially around August 4th) Alex, Neal and Dreggor are really paying attention and trying to replicate the great experience we had at East.

Thanks again for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you at a PAX soon!

Sincerely,

-Vapok

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
    Vapok wrote: »
    Buckley Johnson was the meecee of BYOC this year and was a welcomed personality (pictured below wearing angry cat hat).

Buckley is the fucking man, he definitely had a hugely positive impact on East BYOC this year. You guys all did an awesome job with it.

row1.pngrow2.png
    @vapok hey man. We've met and spoke quite a few times before at east over the years. You've always been good to us. sorry we won't see you at prime, but congrats on the baby! I'm glad to hear that east was much better this year. After 2014 my group was going to boycott it. A few of us changed our minds and we're going to go but my father passed away and Im still trying to cope with that so pax was not a priority. Hopefully prime will be fun and maybe we'll return to east next year if things have turned around there.

@Dreggor thanks for the reply. And yeah I know it can't be "everything I want it to be" but I'm fine with that. I don't want it to be everything "I" want it to be because that wouldn't be fair to other people. I wasn't asking for that, it's fun how different things happen each year, I was just hoping for more care being put into it than the last few years of east (excluding 2015 which as I mentioned I didn't attend). Some structure to the events so that we can participate in them, and other events (like Freeplay tournaments) as well, and some planning for said events is all I hope for. What those events end up being is entirely up to you.

Also I just wanted to say thanks for not dismissing my long posts or thinking I was acting like a dick. I used to play TF2 competitively for many years and I used to help, or solo run the TF2 tournaments at the GXL (Philly area lan) so I know how things are behind the scenes at a big lan. There's a lot of work involved that most people don't know about and it's stressful as hell on the day. The east BYOC used to be THE event my friends and I looked forward to all year. One of the few times we could all get together at the same time and have fun. Hopefully prime will be great, and I really hope that east has turned itself around. But yeah... Thanks for reading my long posts and actually taking it into consideration.

Seating chart updated with what I have so far.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    The last PE was my first experience in BYOC...and it was GREAT! We had such a good time. I thought the event was well organized, the announcements for games and prizes were non-stop which was a pleasant surprise for me. I'm now hooked on BYOC and looking forward to participating at Prime.

Also, I would like to add that I really like the fact that with everything going on around us and even the volume of sounds coming from the expo floor it really helped with my anxiety that I had a area all to my self that felt secure. I appreciate everyone that volunteers to put this together and make it run as smoothly as it does.

• rachaelmikarachaelmika Registered User regular
    I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but what about the people who don't have a group? Is it a first come first serve on the first day of BYOC for seating?

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but what about the people who don't have a group? Is it a first come first serve on the first day of BYOC for seating?
    Yep, first come first serve.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    When can we expect some info on the early entry for Friday to setup our gear, or what games we should install/update ahead of time for contests/tournaments?

• celycely Registered User regular
    @Dreggor Also please make sure the Enforcers stationed at the Conference Center entrance know that they can let BYOC badge holders in at 10am Sat, Sun, Mon morning. Last year they wouldn't let us in on Mon morning presumeably because the Expo Hall wasn't ready to be opened.

rqUHgCM.png
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    10am? I thought BYOC was 9am. The hall opens at 10am.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    10am? I thought BYOC was 9am. The hall opens at 10am.
    From the Prime 2014 BYOC thread:
    Dreamwish wrote: »
    What time does check-in start? 10am?

Couldn't find an answer in the BYOC email on in this thread.

I believe the answer is 8am for Friday only (10am for other days), but that question might be better answered by @Dreggor.

rqUHgCM.png
    @Dreggor Will BenQ monitors be loaned out again this year?

rqUHgCM.png
    cely wrote: »

I seriously doubt it, they didn't have them at South or East this year (they had them at East 2014) and the person at BenQ I talked to last year didn't seem enthusiastic about continuing the program.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • theabysstheabyss Spokane WA Registered User regular

I seriously doubt it, they didn't have them at South or East this year (they had them at East 2014) and the person at BenQ I talked to last year didn't seem enthusiastic about continuing the program.

Man that stinks. I loved not having to bring a monitor. They always get scratched up. Come on BenQ we love you!

• forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    theabyss wrote: »

Man that stinks. I loved not having to bring a monitor. They always get scratched up. Come on BenQ we love you!

I would imagine that's part of the reason they're not so keen to provide them.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    IS it too late to get a BYOC badge?

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    This link appears to still be live and not sold out. So, unless someone knows something different, it would appear they are still available.

forbiddenvoid on
    ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • teebone8291teebone8291 Silicon Valley, CARegistered User regular
    just a question for BYOC admin.. what kind of security network do you have over the LAN line.. cause i got a feeling that my boss is going to call me in the mid. and i want a space in Pax (BYOC loc) to deal with this right away..

I'll help out with some of these questions until @Dreggor responds.

1) Re: BenQ - The chances are slim to none that they will be back in the PC room at any PAX. Not because of anything other than, the program they were piloting ended. We are definitely sad to see them leave, as it was a great program for the BYOC attendees, but I'm not sure the ROI for BenQ was enough. (Y'all should've bought some monitors! haha).. =)

2) The Friday morning ritual, as it has been the past few years now, should remain the same for Early BYOC Checkin (8AM entry to TCC). The time that the escalator will open from BYOC to Expo Hall will most likely be done in the same manner as last year, but be aware that anything we say in these threads are ALWAYS subject to change.

3) BYOC Tickets are STILL AVAILABLE! This is gonna be an awesome BYOC year, cause I'm not going to be there to wreck havoc! Mwhahaha.. (Actually in all seriousness, I'm gonna miss y'all at Prime! But a little Vapok is on the way any day now, so PAX Prime has to take a back seat for me! I will see you at PAX East 2016 though!!)

4) Re: Security Network: We use only the best in open source firewall systems and VLAN separation. We also rate limit quite a bit, so over the internet streaming for VoiP or Skype.. might be difficult. @teebone8291 Tell your boss "It Can Wait!" PAX is more important anyhow.

-Vapok Out!

Vapok
  • teebone8291teebone8291 Silicon Valley, CARegistered User regular
    i know but the only way i can get the week off is to be part working and part playing "is a buzz kill but i have no chose on this matter other then that or quit my job (which fund this trip.. aka pay for this trip)".. other question is can i bring my own firewall? (if i can i will bring the Palo alto PA-200 with me and set it up in my station)

i know but the only way i can get the week off is to be part working and part playing "is a buzz kill but i have no chose on this matter other then that or quit my job (which fund this trip.. aka pay for this trip)".. other question is can i bring my own firewall? (if i can i will bring the Palo alto PA-200 with me and set it up in my station)

From this year's East BYOC FAQ:

Q: Can I bring a switch or my own power strip to increase that?
    A: NO! No outside networking devices are allowed. Any spotted will be removed.

What's wrong with just using a VPN?

row1.pngrow2.png
    other question is can i bring my own firewall? (if i can i will bring the Palo alto PA-200 with me and set it up in my station)

As @hobbseltoff has mentioned, we do not allow any networking devices of any type on the network. Also keep in mind that the BYOC area may also be very loud at times, and potentially not suitable to any calls. VPN should work, all depends on the quality of the bandwidth this year.

Alternatively, there is a sitting area on the 2nd floor of the TCC, that is off to the side of the escalators that is comfy (couches) and contains some electrical outlets. If you need it just for voice/office connectivity... I recommend tethering to your phone's data connection from that 2nd floor area. It's not heavily populated with attendees, very quiet, and near windows. It's also slightly shielded from the masses of attendees with phones, so your data should be good. (In 2012, I organized a small flashmob in that area and used it to coordinate our dance routine.)

Vapok
    edited July 2015
    @Dreggor Also please make sure the Enforcers stationed at the Conference Center entrance know that they can let BYOC badge holders in at 10am Sat, Sun, Mon morning. Last year they wouldn't let us in on Mon morning presumeably because the Expo Hall wasn't ready to be opened.

This is completely out of our control, this is handled by the Green Coats and sometimes information does not move around that organization as well as we'd like. Last year one of them tried to have me ejected for arguing with her on this very point.

Also: I will verify the load-in time for Friday but I assume it will be 8:00am (I think) like usual.

Dreggor on
    -=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy

So far we have been told that there will be no BenQ loaners. If I hear differently you all will be the very first to know but at this point I would not count on it.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy

From this year's East BYOC FAQ:

Q: Can I bring a switch or my own power strip to increase that?
    A: NO! No outside networking devices are allowed. Any spotted will be removed.

What's wrong with just using a VPN?

Depending on the mood of the network guys I would not even count on a VPN working unless it's an SSL vpn that uses a standard port. Even then I cannot make any promises to the quality or bandwidth.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy

This is a definite no-no and is against the BYOC rules about network equipment. If we see this we will disconnect your network port until it is removed, sorry.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    Sorry guys, I have been on vacation and am just catching up. I think I got everyone's questions answered and I have also updated the seating chart with everything I have up to this point.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    Vapok
  • ToastedTriggerToastedTrigger Registered User regular
    I know you guys are working hard on a tournament list. Is there a time period that those may soon come to light?

edited July 2015
    I know you guys are working hard on a tournament list. Is there a time period that those may soon come to light?
    Soon (tm)

Dreggor on
    -=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy