As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    JediNight wrote: »
    "Laughably Incompetent" is a fitting Epithet for Mythic, sadly.
    Mythic still exists. Why do you think TOR's PvP was so fucked up at launch?

Yes. I just meant if/when they would ever have a tombstone, that should be on it :)
    TOR PvP being bad also had a lot to do with the maps. Any class with primarily ranged attacks, or a teleport-like ability that allowed them to jump to higher levels had a huge advantage over those that didn't to a laughable degree.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The funny thing is that there's a card game based on WAR that is still going strong. It's diverged wildly from WAR since obviously there hadn't been updates since like 2010, but the setting is the same with a split between Order and Destruction.

YL9WnCY.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    The funny thing is that there's a card game based on WAR that is still going strong. It's diverged wildly from WAR since obviously there hadn't been updates since like 2010, but the setting is the same with a split between Order and Destruction.

And by "going strong" you mean "just had it's final expansion released, " right?

(Talking about Invasion.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Oh, I didn't realize that was the last expansion. I guess Games Workshop was pulling the plug on the whole shebang.

YL9WnCY.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well it's GW doing Business the way it was done in the 80's
    I really still think they are working on a business plan that is 5 years out of date

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    All I remember from this game was archmages being horribly horrible at everything and white lions 1v3ing things because yeah.

Really? I stopped playing after I get fed up with the awful T3 maps but up until that point I was wrecking shop with my Archmage and was frequently topping the scoreboards since I wasn't shy about swapping my battlefield role on the fly instead of just worrying about pure nuking or pure healing.

Topping the scoreboards isn't really all that hard, and doesn't really say much about the balance. Topping the leaderboard ment that you wernt always doing the ideal task to win the actual match. Always staying in the center of the arena and dropping heals or dps constantly while staying alive is how you got to the top of the leaderboard. Things like capturing the relic or an off point might win the match for your team but barely counted as far as leaderboard stats.

Lets put it this way, they put me on their internal testing group because of a couple discussions I started on how broken the archmage mechanic was. And for the entire time I played the game they didn't make any steps to improve it. In the end the archmage when specced into damage would do significantly less damage than other casters, and specced into healing it did significantly less healing than other healers, and its class abilities might as well not existed for the most part.

• killerkabutokillerkabuto Registered User regular
    Why do I suddenly want to play this game really bad?

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    I did too, a few days before it closed down. I shouldn't have returned because it tainted whatever sentimental values I still held in regards to the game

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    F2P could have at least been tried. No one knows what the game would have been like if the majority of its content was free.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    It could have been tried, but on the other hand, Games Workshop.

liEt3nH.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Well, Games Workshop has apparently approved Free to Play in the new 40k MMO.

Probably Mythic couldn't or wouldn't prove they were CAPABLE of developing a f2p model.

What is this I don't even.
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Limited F2P, IIRC. You can be Ork Boyz and that's it.

Yes. All F2P is limited in some capacity, though. Many F2P MMOs limit class choice as one of the early monetization schemes. (Probably the better ones, honestly, because one of your top alternatives is making leveling unbearably slow without a sub.)

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Probably Mythic couldn't or wouldn't prove they were CAPABLE of developing a f2p model.

When it was announced that WAR was closing, the developer's letter talked about how they were developing a F2P version of the game, aimed for initial release in Korea, that was canceled by management.

liEt3nH.png
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

When it was announced that WAR was closing, the developer's letter talked about how they were developing a F2P version of the game, aimed for initial release in Korea, that was canceled by management.

Probably because it was going to take further investment with little hope of returns, not because management just hates F2P.

edited January 2014
    Double post

I do fear for the 40k mmo because of that very reason

Brainleech on
    I think the business of GW does not understand F2P but the company might
    I still feel the worst mistake GW ever made was to become a business with stock as you can tell investors in such a company only care about one thing and little else

I'm not afraid for the 40k MMO yet. There's no reason to BE afraid. They've got a monetization model in place already that ISN'T sub (I'd be more afraid for a sub-based model), and they're taking the IP into a part of the MMO market that suits the brand and isn't completely glutted yet.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    [Do not post private servers here -Bobkins Flymo]
    Just gonna post this here, since the game is not longer being supported im going to assume that this isn't against the rules.

I would like to add there are a pile of bugs with this emu, but but its pretty solid. Sure there are broken classes and PQ dont work and its capped at t2 right now but it works and its free.

Sterica on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Draeven wrote: »
    [removed]
    Just gonna post this here, since the game is not longer being supported im going to assume that this isn't against the rules.

It's never wise to assume man.

Also you gave me just a slimmer of false hope....BY THE RIGHTS GIVEN UNTO ME BY EMPEROR KARL FRANZ, BY WAY OF THE ORDO HERETICUS, I SENTANCE YOU TO TRIAL BY FIRE.

Sterica on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I liked WAR, but the engine had some serious issues even back then.

I'd have to assume an emu version would crawl out of your monitor in a reenactment of the ring.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Lacking PQs is kinda a deal breaker for me, too.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Yeah, PQs not working is disappointed but they are making strides and fixing stuff as they go, I think its one of the top things they are working on but there are some other issues I think they are more concerned with.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Honestly, the only thing good in War PVE was PQ's. And if the PVP is still the unbalanced mess it was, with less population and performance issues... I'm not sure that's a game to play.

I'd argue that, a lot of the dungeons were rather fun.

right now, all pvp is lumped into t1 and t2 right now, no other pvp is open yet.

• imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Wait wait wait...is warhammer online playable in some form right now!?

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Define "playable".

• SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    I had a good amount of fun playing WAR. PVP "RVR" was fun for the most part but class balance was really bad. cough Bright wizards cough. In the early days of WAR it was all about flipping keeps and shit in zones which sucked. ou didn't want to hold anything you just wanted to flip things back and forth. Later though after the majority quit, they released some nice patches so you had to capture whole zones for the best rewards. Which was great. WAR never rebounded though. I jumped back on a bit played a warrior priest and that classes was.. too good.. LOS healing big aoe heals through walls... class balance just never seemed ideal. But the game was still pretty fun.

Is there actually a server up for it?

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Shadow Warrior felt like such a bait and switch. In the level 10 pvp area you felt really effective in helping control fights because you got your root and no one had their CC breaks yet. Then in the next tier everyone could break your root whenever they wanted and you had no real options of your own to deal with their CC.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Sonork wrote: »
    I had a good amount of fun playing WAR. PVP "RVR" was fun for the most part but class balance was really bad. cough Bright wizards cough. In the early days of WAR it was all about flipping keeps and shit in zones which sucked. ou didn't want to hold anything you just wanted to flip things back and forth. Later though after the majority quit, they released some nice patches so you had to capture whole zones for the best rewards. Which was great. WAR never rebounded though. I jumped back on a bit played a warrior priest and that classes was.. too good.. LOS healing big aoe heals through walls... class balance just never seemed ideal. But the game was still pretty fun.

Class balance got damn near perfect towards the end.

Well, not so much Class Balance, as RvR balance. Despite a hiccup or two everything was fairly evenly settled into. I can't really be balanced on my opinions on WAR because as time passes for me the glasses just get rosier, even in comparison to some recent things...well, thing that arguably has done large scale PvP better(Guild Wars 2).

WAR just felt....right? I guess? Despite the shitty engine and wonky balancing.

The knockbacks, the CC, the healing, and ESPECIALLY the tank PvP mechanics that have yet to be copied(WHY HAS NO ONE STOLE THE TAUNT MECHANIC).

Not to mention the downright amazing art design and unique feeling classes with their own unique quirks......goddamit, I'm never gonna get over losing WAR.

I'm fairly certain a couple of games have actually used that Tank PvP thing, though not as in-depth as WAR.

No game has had as clear a vision for what tank means in PVP as War, that's for sure.

Sorry folks, but no private servers on these forums, even if the game is dead and buried. We're not taking the risk, especially not with a company as litigious as GW.

YL9WnCY.png
    The title did remind me how much I actually liked the desert zone with the Tomb Kings stuff. Just taking all the PvE safety out completely, completely PvP zone with PvE objectives which build up towards attacking the other factions base and wrecking shit.

Good times. Also some cool bosses.

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I can't remember what taunt did in pvp besides a damage debuff, but I'll be looking for a Guard/cover and detaunt mechanic until I die. This game will stay with me for ever.

akirasig.jpg
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    That's part of it. It debuffed the target until they attacked the taunter three times (I think).

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I know swtor did the same thing with taunts in pvp.

It's kind of a no-brainer, because otherwise you just have abilities that do......nothing.

FFXIV has that in pvp, pve taunts that serve no function at all, but they also put in abilities that are 'only' for pvp like long cooldown pbaoe debuffs for chokepoints. It evens out.

• WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Sonork wrote: »

running with fellow candymancers across the RvR was one of the highlights of my gaming career. Taking a handful of our people, flipping keeps, then holding off the enemy hordes until help arrived; or capturing the secondary objectives to lure away enemy reinforcements so our main force could take the keeps. Yeah, good times. I logged in not too long before the servers shut down and the game actually felt pretty good at that point. The performance problems were fixed, a lot of class issues dealt with... but the game was just dead at that point. Just have to remember the fun we had and the people we were with.

253J736.png
  • imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Sigmar's Sizzling Sausage