As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Charity work?

RazalgrimRazalgrim Registered User regular
edited July 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm thinking about joining Save the Children as a face-to-face fundraiser... which entails ringing a lot of doorbells, I think? Right? Anyway, I'm not too familiar with the organization OR with charity work in general. So I have two main questions.

1. Is Save the Children good? I mean, I know they're legit... but are they legit? Like, nothing shady?

2. ...does the job really involve ringing doorbells? Cause that's what "face-to-face" fundraiser says to me.

Aaaand 3. Can I expect compensation? As in cash. Even if it's a tiny amount.

I mean 2 and 3 will probably be addressesed during an open house but I really wanna make sure I'm not in over my head here. Still, alot of things are telling me I should go for it. Should I?

Thank you kindly, friends.

EDIT: three main questions. I meant three.

Razalgrim on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If you are volunteering then you are very unlikely to be paid.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Razalgrim wrote: »
    I'm thinking about joining Save the Children as a face-to-face fundraiser... which entails ringing a lot of doorbells, I think? Right? Anyway, I'm not too familiar with the organization OR with charity work in general. So I have two main questions.

1. Is Save the Children good? I mean, I know they're legit... but are they legit? Like, nothing shady?

2. ...does the job really involve ringing doorbells? Cause that's what "face-to-face" fundraiser says to me.

Aaaand 3. Can I expect compensation? As in cash. Even if it's a tiny amount.

I mean 2 and 3 will probably be addressesed during an open house but I really wanna make sure I'm not in over my head here. Still, alot of things are telling me I should go for it. Should I?

Thank you kindly, friends.

EDIT: three main questions. I meant three.
    Do you need to be compensated? There are charities and causes that do compensate. Are you over 18?

If you are under 18 and just looking for something to kill time but be meaningful during the summer, you might want to do something more fun than face-to-face fundraising.

• Options
    RazalgrimRazalgrim Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Over 18, yes. I just want something like an allowance for food and travel - no profit, but no expenses.

And I know face-to-face fundraising isn't a very inspiring prospect but it can't be much worse than my experiences in the customer service industry.

Thanks for the answers, guys. And just to throw it out there, the issues that the organization is looking to address do mean alot to me, so I am pretty serious about this. I just wanna know what I'm getting myself into.

Razalgrim on
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4438#.VbjkLLNVhBc

I generally trust charity navigator and the rest of your stuff you should ask the charity itself.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Are you a "volunteer" or are you an "employee"? Even non-profits employ (pay) people, but if you are a volunteer you won't get paid. Maybe lunch at group meetings or something; is there not a coordinator you can talk to so as to address your concerns?

From your description it sounds like you will very much be knocking on doors of strangers and asking for money. It's a tough job in my experience, tougher than tech/customer support. The dynamic is totally different when you are bugging them for money vs they are calling you for help. Not trying to dissuade you from this. If you can handle it then you will be developing very valuable skills.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    You want to go through a reputable volunteer program, such as with Volunteer Match or something similar. You also want to make sure they are a 501c3 nonprofit before going in.

No you will not be paid. Volunteer work is based on an economy where compensation is typically indirect (good feelings, organizational fervor, occasionally favors/cost cuts from the organization for things like pet care or legal services). If someone is asking for volunteer work they are not wanting to pay you and not wanting you to be listed as paid employee. Most volunteer work is direct service (front lines at food kitchens, canvassing door to door, or other low-training but high physical impact tasks). Some organizations that are more specialized, such as health care or legal services, will use volunteer clerical positions. None of these folk are paid.

At your age, you should really ask why you are wanting to go into volunteer work. Typically it is for:
    • free professional training (such as with internships)
    • meeting requirements for scholarship hours
    • wanting to develop a personal network

Or touchy feely reasons like actually loving and respecting the work.

I actually just finished a case study program for a series of nonprofits on this very subject, so I'm getting a kick out of this thread. :)

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Is this in the UK? Because it sounds like chugging. I know save the children have done that where I am in the past.

They're usually paid, but it's pretty thankless. I'm in Birmingham and I know people here have got sufficiently exasperated by it that the people doing it get a fair amount of verbal.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Razalgrim wrote: »
    Over 18, yes. I just want something like an allowance for food and travel - no profit, but no expenses.

And I know face-to-face fundraising isn't a very inspiring prospect but it can't be much worse than my experiences in the customer service industry.

Thanks for the answers, guys. And just to throw it out there, the issues that the organization is looking to address do mean a lot to me, so I am pretty serious about this. I just wanna know what I'm getting myself into.
    You might want to check out Americorp. They pay a living allowance, plus if you want to try to get into the fed as an employee the vista program members are eligible for non competitive appointment, and if you are in college you can get them to pay down your student loans. It's a pretty good deal, and it is community service, win win, and since you don't mind not making much money you might want to consider it.
    http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps

zepherin on