As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - A Tale Of Two Horses

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - A Tale Of Two Horses

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    Horse space. The equine frontier.

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    The last couple of sentences of Jerry's newspost is one of the funniest things I have read in a while.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I couldn't believe that the newspost came out before the comic. That was new. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Roach has been pretty obedient for me since the first couple patches. She hasn't gotten stuck in a building in ages!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    What I miss in The Witcher is a "Hitch Horse" area in which I can park my horse when I calmly walk in to a town like Red Dead Redemption had. Roach instead just runs around crashing in to people and gets stuck on things while I'm having a beer or shopping for herbs etc.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Select your silver sword, and then, select your horse.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »
    Roach instead just runs around crashing in to people and gets stuck on things while I'm having a beer or shopping for herbs etc.

This sounds amazing.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Roach instead just runs around crashing in to people and gets stuck on things while I'm having a beer or shopping for herbs etc.

This sounds amazing.

They made The Witcher using Goat Simulator's engine?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I think Gabe would fall over if he leaned on a hammock like that.

Finnish_Line on
  • Options
    Caribbean_SmurfCaribbean_Smurf Registered User regular
    No, I... I don't want to!

''Select your silver sword, and then, select your horse.''

• Options
    R0n1n_76R0n1n_76 Registered User regular
    Still, both are inferior to Assassin's steed
    http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/11/02

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Quid wrote: »

This sounds amazing.

Yeah since he has the same movement as Geralt or Geralt has the same maneuverability as a horse, every time he bumps in to something he tries to get around it in clumsy arcs resulting running and bumping in to villagers which keep yelling and swearing at him. "Rude!"

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    Tycho: "I’ve never investigated his mouth for any substantial period of time."

Wait wait. What about the Maw? Although it's said in that post that it's Jorm with the problem. Probably all of that donutite ore he gnaws on now and then. And now styrofoam? Looking for Rolos? Maybe looking in people's mouths, or the mouths of their horses, even in the pursuit of something edible or at least nutritional in some other way, is a step in the right direction. And as a bonus he'd get to see all the wholly appropriate things normal folk put in their facehole.

I don't skip text unless I consider doing so the only way to continue playing the game. If it's a choice between punching my screen or skipping a line or two of a completely ham-fisted attempt to stroke at my emotional chords, or heartstrings if you will, that line is getting skipped. I like having my heartstrings toyed with, as well as my funny bone and all those other cool things. But when it's bad, it's really bad. At the same time, as a person who types up gigantic forum posts, I've had to work hard for many years to not flip my shit when people skip the words I write. I wrote this to enlighten, entertain and/or share a very personal space with you, not for you to say tl;dr. It used to be a problem, especially with instructional material, because it's just wrong to not read the instructions. But I'm better now; I went to eviscerators anonymous and I've only fallen off the wagon twice.

On the comic, I kinda feel like no one who produces an excellent, superbly useful horse companion in a game has ever ridden or seen an actual horse. Take the Assassin's Steed as an example. It's where you need it, when you need it. A more realistic example of the extent of convenience offered by these beasts can be taken from Skyrim. You have to go somewhere to get your horse, because it's stabled, right? It's not stabled where you'd like, you know, at your home. And if you've just assassinated a member of the royal family, you can't just Zorro your ass to safety, because the horse is busy eating grass or something outside of town. Maybe the horse will kinda go fast for a few seconds, then its engine falters and that horsepower goes right back down. Sure, it can kinda help you climb mountains (which is a real thing but less cartoonishly physics-defying), but getting back down will often provide you with fresh horse meat from your trusty companion's corpse. I'd rather have an incredibly useful and unrealistic horse than one that I will often prefer not using or owning or buying or stealing.

For the past ten or so years, I've found myself in online discussions that could benefit from linking to a Penny Arcade comic. It seems there's a PA comic for any situation. For example, sometimes we need a very specific example of human behavior because we don't know how to fake being human. There's a comic for that. It's been tremendously useful for me because of the going exchange rate.

...tl;dr - Jerry needs to change his diet to include things like food. Skipping text is bad. Better horses are better. Penny Arcade is the Simpsons of the internet.

• Options
    KherusKherus Registered User regular
    Roach is born and bred from the horses of red dead redemption...we play by no ones rules, not even our roan.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

Wait wait. What about the Maw? Although it's said in that post that it's Jorm with the problem. Probably all of that donutite ore he gnaws on now and then. And now styrofoam? Looking for Rolos? Maybe looking in people's mouths, or the mouths of their horses, even in the pursuit of something edible or at least nutritional in some other way, is a step in the right direction. And as a bonus he'd get to see all the wholly appropriate things normal folk put in their facehole.

I don't skip text unless I consider doing so the only way to continue playing the game. If it's a choice between punching my screen or skipping a line or two of a completely ham-fisted attempt to stroke at my emotional chords, or heartstrings if you will, that line is getting skipped. I like having my heartstrings toyed with, as well as my funny bone and all those other cool things. But when it's bad, it's really bad. At the same time, as a person who types up gigantic forum posts, I've had to work hard for many years to not flip my shit when people skip the words I write. I wrote this to enlighten, entertain and/or share a very personal space with you, not for you to say tl;dr. It used to be a problem, especially with instructional material, because it's just wrong to not read the instructions. But I'm better now; I went to eviscerators anonymous and I've only fallen off the wagon twice.

On the comic, I kinda feel like no one who produces an excellent, superbly useful horse companion in a game has ever ridden or seen an actual horse. Take the Assassin's Steed as an example. It's where you need it, when you need it. A more realistic example of the extent of convenience offered by these beasts can be taken from Skyrim. You have to go somewhere to get your horse, because it's stabled, right? It's not stabled where you'd like, you know, at your home. And if you've just assassinated a member of the royal family, you can't just Zorro your ass to safety, because the horse is busy eating grass or something outside of town. Maybe the horse will kinda go fast for a few seconds, then its engine falters and that horsepower goes right back down. Sure, it can kinda help you climb mountains (which is a real thing but less cartoonishly physics-defying), but getting back down will often provide you with fresh horse meat from your trusty companion's corpse. I'd rather have an incredibly useful and unrealistic horse than one that I will often prefer not using or owning or buying or stealing.

For the past ten or so years, I've found myself in online discussions that could benefit from linking to a Penny Arcade comic. It seems there's a PA comic for any situation. For example, sometimes we need a very specific example of human behavior because we don't know how to fake being human. There's a comic for that. It's been tremendously useful for me because of the going exchange rate.

...tl;dr - Jerry needs to change his diet to include things like food. Skipping text is bad. Better horses are better. Penny Arcade is the Simpsons of the internet.

As a writer, I freaking hate horses. I realize why Tolkien had the dwarves just restock on ponies at every save point after the last ponies got eaten. Having characters (or players in tabletop games) get specific, named, heroic horses and then having to keep track of what happens to those horses when the party has to venture through a cave or raft a whitewater river is a nightmare.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Not a lot of places to plug in an iPhone in the Northern Kingdoms. Fewer still that allow horses and/or have a lighting connector ready to go.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options

As a writer, I freaking hate horses. I realize why Tolkien had the dwarves just restock on ponies at every save point after the last ponies got eaten. Having characters (or players in tabletop games) get specific, named, heroic horses and then having to keep track of what happens to those horses when the party has to venture through a cave or raft a whitewater river is a nightmare.

Funny thing is that Geralt doesn't have one horse he crosses the world with, they're just a bunch of different horses which he all named Roach.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    KherusKherus Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    "Funny thing is that Geralt doesn't have one horse he crosses the world with, they're just a bunch of different horses which he all named Roach."

Lol, so Roach is like the Phantom? The ghost who trots? Imagine if Geralt whistled and two Roaches came out from behind bushes on separate sides of the road? Awkward.

Kherus on
  • Options
    LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    Oh, so do I. Horses in my tabletops die, with certainty and great frequency. I try to incentivize getting rid of them, but when someone decides they won't trade Jaded Jetty for something that is actually useful, she's probably gonna fall in a bottomless pit. In video games I lament being given a horse, because they do it because it's supposed to be a cool thing and it so often is not.
    Kherus wrote: »
    "Funny thing is that Geralt doesn't have one horse he crosses the world with, they're just a bunch of different horses which he all named Roach."

Lol, so Roach is like the Phantom? The ghost who trots? Imagine if Geralt whistled and two Roaches came out from behind bushes on separate sides of the road? Awkward.
    Perhaps the reason the horses suck is that they're just rebelling from being given a weird name and the lack of exclusivity. Oh. Sidenote, I usually dislike puns but "our roan" made me grin more than grimace. +points.

• Options
    Lingering GrinLingering Grin Registered User regular
    Roach is the biggest pain in the ass.

"CHARGE!"

*Roach comes to a halt*

"FORWARD!"

*Roach makes a 90 degree left turn for no reason*

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    I have more of an issue with the way Geralt walks than with his horse. You're either creeping forward inch by inch or launching yourself forward. It's like Geralt is constantly walking on ice and it's annoying. .

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I have more of an issue with the way Geralt walks than with his horse. You're either creeping forward inch by inch or launching yourself forward. It's like Geralt is constantly walking on ice and it's annoying. .

That's just because of his VD

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh, so do I. Horses in my tabletops die, with certainty and great frequency. I try to incentivize getting rid of them, but when someone decides they won't trade Jaded Jetty for something that is actually useful, she's probably gonna fall in a bottomless pit. In video games I lament being given a horse, because they do it because it's supposed to be a cool thing and it so often is not.
    Kherus wrote: »

Perhaps the reason the horses suck is that they're just rebelling from being given a weird name and the lack of exclusivity. Oh. Sidenote, I usually dislike puns but "our roan" made me grin more than grimace. +points.

At first I thought he named his horse after Roche but it was spelled differently.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I like Roach. Horse has personality. He amuses me.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Do any games have a horse that you can train? Like Black and White's creature mechanics, only with your mount.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Do any games have a horse that you can train? Like Black and White's creature mechanics, only with your mount.

In Final Fantasy XIV you get a Chocobo mount that you can train to join you in battle.

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    I've never had any issues with Roach. She's a good horse.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

In Final Fantasy XIV you get a Chocobo mount that you can train to join you in battle.

Having played both games it's not really what he's asking for.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    There are probably games out there that are dedicated entirely to realistic horse care and training. I have to wonder what the top of the line AI for that is like.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    jothki wrote: »
    There are probably games out there that are dedicated entirely to realistic horse care and training. I have to wonder what the top of the line AI for that is like.
    Like the world of Bella Sara? One of my favorite strips ever (referenced by joshofalltrades earlier in the thread).

300269380_CmABy-1050x10000.jpg

In my line of work, we keep referring to a game called Barbie Horse Adventures as the epitome of a bad video game tie-in:
    105156_front.jpg

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm talking more along the lines of heavy vehicle simulators, except with a higher chance of being crushed to death by the thing you're trying to ride.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    The closest thing I know to serious horse games are the Pippa Funnell series. Which were... not terrible for the budget they had even if moving on foot felt like driving a tank.

So I guess if you wanna train a horse and hate all the incredible amount of up keep they require that'll do ya.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

Ahem. Steel sword, for a horsey.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Spaffy wrote: »

Ahem. Steel sword, for a horsey.
    Unless, of course, you input your Bella Sera code wrong. With ten gnarled hooves and all. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png