As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Matter] Heavy weapons, katanas and androids IN SPACE

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    What were we supposed to understand from the Coda of episode three?
    That there's someone else out there who may be the actual One, or is perhaps impersonating his former life.
    cool. I wasn't sure whether we were to understand that they had reached their destination and One was doing something mysterious and possibly nefarious or whether there was another One.

I wonder whether that Jace is actually Hrothgar?

After today's episode
    Real strong evidence that One is Hrothgar, or one of his people.

I also loved how they focused on that jump clone commercial like we were going to find out later "Yep, either One or 'Jace Corso' is a clone" only for Jace to shoot it down by saying there's no way a clone could last long enough for everything to work out the way it has... though the memory download thing might explain why Five seems to have flashes of everyone's memories.
    There is a way for One to be a clone and live that long. The commercial said it disposes of the clones biomass, which I took to mean they needed the clone to come to them before they could download and transfer their memories to the client and get rid of the body themselves. If that's true all he needed was for the clone not to back to the company or he was made by a third party with cloning technology.

My new theory is that every member on the crew, aside from the android and Five/Das, are clones. Made and working for whoever created them to be the cleanup crew for the corporations. In effect they've stolen the meanest criminals personalities and bodies via downloading and cloning without having to hire the real thing. With the real people they're clones of none the wiser (except for One's original) they get their services without leaving evidence connecting them to these people so no one suspects who the Raza crew are since the originals are actively in the galaxy giving them alibis.
    Jace Corso said that clones don't last longer than a couple days before they start degrading though. One and the rest of the Raza crew has been active longer than that, so the chance they are clones is unlikely. The other possibility is that Jace Corso is the actual clone, and his memory has been altered to "think" he's been looking for the Raza for weeks, but I'm uncertain if that's any more likely.

Besides, if the whole crew were clones, why would Four be carrying the authentic signet ring of royal family, which he's probably a member of?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    What were we supposed to understand from the Coda of episode three?
    That there's someone else out there who may be the actual One, or is perhaps impersonating his former life.
    cool. I wasn't sure whether we were to understand that they had reached their destination and One was doing something mysterious and possibly nefarious or whether there was another One.

I wonder whether that Jace is actually Hrothgar?

After today's episode
    Real strong evidence that One is Hrothgar, or one of his people.

I also loved how they focused on that jump clone commercial like we were going to find out later "Yep, either One or 'Jace Corso' is a clone" only for Jace to shoot it down by saying there's no way a clone could last long enough for everything to work out the way it has... though the memory download thing might explain why Five seems to have flashes of everyone's memories.
    There is a way for One to be a clone and live that long. The commercial said it disposes of the clones biomass, which I took to mean they needed the clone to come to them before they could download and transfer their memories to the client and get rid of the body themselves. If that's true all he needed was for the clone not to back to the company or he was made by a third party with cloning technology.

My new theory is that every member on the crew, aside from the android and Five/Das, are clones. Made and working for whoever created them to be the cleanup crew for the corporations. In effect they've stolen the meanest criminals personalities and bodies via downloading and cloning without having to hire the real thing. With the real people they're clones of none the wiser (except for One's original) they get their services without leaving evidence connecting them to these people so no one suspects who the Raza crew are since the originals are actively in the galaxy giving them alibis.
    Jace Corso said that clones don't last longer than a couple days before they start degrading though. One and the rest of the Raza crew has been active longer than that, so the chance they are clones is unlikely. The other possibility is that Jace Corso is the actual clone, and his memory has been altered to "think" he's been looking for the Raza for weeks, but I'm uncertain if that's any more likely.

Besides, if the whole crew were clones, why would Four be carrying the authentic signet ring of royal family, which he's probably a member of?
    True.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Wow, a pilot that's actually worth a damn. I really hope this show sticks around for more than one season. It's almost like Syfy is suddenly interested in sci-fi, too crazy to contemplate.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Wow, a pilot that's actually worth a damn. I really hope this show sticks around for more than one season. It's almost like Syfy is suddenly interested in sci-fi, too crazy to contemplate.

Syfy's steadily improving. Olympus is neat, 12 Monkeys is entertaining, Continuum is briliant, Defiance is amazing, Killjoys finally produced a tolerable episode, they experimented with Ascension and The Expense looks promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67vLGQiLbLk

• Options
    Latest episode spoilers:
    First, MCKAY!!!

Second, ooo, space zombies.

Really loving the One and Three dynamic, goody two-shoes banters with arrogant jackass.

...and I guess Two's gain regenerative abilities after surviving the space zombie bite? Groovy

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Latest episode spoilers:
    First, MCKAY!!!

Really loving the One and Three dynamic, goody two-shoes banters with arrogant jackass.

...and I guess Two's gain regenerative abilities after surviving the space zombie bite? Groovy

Amanda Tapping has also directed a few episodes.
    Re latest ep
    I wondered whether 2 was in fact already infected with the stuff and thus immortal BEFORE she got bit. And is in fact one of the elite and a century or so old. But that may overlap 4's story.

Also 4 is the owner of the memory about feeding people their own eyeballs from one of the earlier episodes, right?

• Options
    Latest episode spoilers:
    First, MCKAY!!!

Amanda Tapping has also directed a few episodes.
    Re latest ep
    I wondered whether 2 was in fact already infected with the stuff and thus immortal BEFORE she got bit. And is in fact one of the elite and a century or so old. But that may overlap 4's story.

Also 4 is the owner of the memory about feeding people their own eyeballs from one of the earlier episodes, right?
    The more I think about it, the idea of Two surviving the zombie bite because she's already immortal or some genetically modified super soldier on the run sounds way better than she got super lucky.

...and after this episode, I'm almost certain the whole "palace where I took out assassins' eyes and left them for my stepmother" memory was Four's

Anyway, recent episode thoughts:
    Kinda like the touch where Two is still wearing a bandage to hide the fact she's already healed.

So much juicy info about Four, Five and Six's past. Am I the only one who thinks Four didn't take the news that he's not a complete bad guy very well? Kinda wished they showed just a little more of Five sneaking on the Raza to explain how she wasn't spaced by Three

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Last episode was alright. The A-plot was intriguing, except Ruby Rose was a terrible actress. Every actor on the show out-acted her without trying.
    I did like how the sexbot let the crew get closer bonds. Now One and Two are gettin' it on finally. I love how Two always maintained control over her love life, and One backed off when she clarified she wasn't ready yet. The Android stole the show, she was hilarious. It was adorable how she was getting jealous of the sexbot. The best scene was the android rotating though several accents to impress One, totes absorbs.

The B-plot was entertaining.
    Nice world building and exploring another layer of Three's past as a merc who fell in love with a woman with a terminal disease. Disappointed how they killed off her so quickly, though.

They need to give Four more to do on the ship off-duty than practicing his martial arts, it makes him too two dimensional. They were on the right track
    by showing his real past via Five's memories.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I was pretty skeptical after the first couple of episodes but I am really liking this show now. I enjoy how they are taking their time to build the characters, and the initial amnesia plot point doesn't actually bother me at all because of how it is being handled.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I think Dark Matter is the best new sci fi show

I've found Killjoys increasingly enjoyable, at first it was decent popcorn sci fi but I'm getting more invested in it as it goes on

Dark Matter keeps having these situations where I think of what the crew should do and they do it
    first example being, as soon as she learned of multiple corporations in the area, going and getting another one to shit all over the first one, and that's exactly what she did and I was so happy because it was the best solution

override367 on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    This show, Killjoys and Defiance have become my Sci fi trifecta(I refuse to use Sy Fy). I do like Dark Matter the best because of the interplay between the crew. Personally I found One to be creepy in his pursuit of Two. Coming on way to strong and playing the Nice guy sthick. He may be an actual nice guy, but pretending that you are just being nice as an excuse to make the move on a girl is just stalkery.

Killjoys kind of reminds me of Lost Girl too much since it was made by the same studio. Kickass Female Heroine with mysterious past kind of deal. Only they lack Ksenia Solo to liven things up. Its fun, but the guy I like the most(Ashmore) seems to have no real plotline.

Defiance... was kind of boring until this last episode. That ending was one for the record books. It was the kind of pay-off you can only get with good characters.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    This show, Killjoys and Defiance have become my Sci fi trifecta(I refuse to use Sy Fy). I do like Dark Matter the best because of the interplay between the crew. Personally I found One to be creepy in his pursuit of Two. Coming on way to strong and playing the Nice guy sthick. He may be an actual nice guy, but pretending that you are just being nice as an excuse to make the move on a girl is just stalkery.

Yeah, One does do that. I don't think he's pretending, I thought he was naive and bad at recognizing Two's signals. Not that it excuses his bullshit.
    Killjoys kind of reminds me of Lost Girl too much since it was made by the same studio. Kickass Female Heroine with mysterious past kind of deal. Only they lack Ksenia Solo to liven things up. Its fun, but the guy I like the most(Ashmore) seems to have no real plotline.

They also make Orphan Black.
    Defiance... was kind of boring until this last episode. That ending was one for the record books. It was the kind of pay-off you can only get with good characters.

Defiance is my favorite show on the network, this is second. I dropped Killjoys, might go back to it later.

• Options
    I think One can be holier than thou and naive, but I don't think his personality is a schtick just to get with Two

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    The androids jocking for human approval. This is great.

• Options
    I think One's nice guy persona is his real persona, but I think he was coming on way to strong to Two. Like every time he was alone with her, he was making the moves on her in a passive aggressive way. I mean when Two called him out on his "report" at the beginning of the episode, she wasn't wrong. There was no need for him to make it in person to just her.

It just came off way to much like the Nice Guy syndrome, where guys act extra nice around a girl to get them to like them.

To be honest, I feel like the One that boinked the sexbot was probably closer to the "real" One(I.e. the guy he was before memory wipe) then the personality we see in the show. Like, he may not be Corso, but he is still a real bad guy.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I think One's nice guy persona is his real persona, but I think he was coming on way to strong to Two. Like every time he was alone with her, he was making the moves on her in a passive aggressive way. I mean when Two called him out on his "report" at the beginning of the episode, she wasn't wrong. There was no need for him to make it in person to just her.

It just came off way to much like the Nice Guy syndrome, where guys act extra nice around a girl to get them to like them.

To be honest, I feel like the One that boinked the sexbot was probably closer to the "real" One(I.e. the guy he was before memory wipe) then the personality we see in the show. Like, he may not be Corso, but he is still a real bad guy.
    My guess is that he's an undercover cop/agent of some sort.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Me too, but considering how they have portrayed the universe, I think that the legal side of the universe isn't going to be very nice.

Kipling217 on
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Eh, I could just as easily see it going the other way with One, that he was an actual nice guy beforehand. Plus, if that is the case, it adds an extra little punch to last week's scene with Five reliving One's memories of a wonderful childhood and Six claiming that it's all going to go pear shaped at some point. When in reality, it's entirely possible that One lived an idyllic life until he became a cop of some sort and infiltrated the Raza.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    abotkin wrote: »
    Eh, I could just as easily see it going the other way with One, that he was an actual nice guy beforehand. Plus, if that is the case, it adds an extra little punch to last week's scene with Five reliving One's memories of a wonderful childhood and Six claiming that it's all going to go pear shaped at some point. When in reality, it's entirely possible that One lived an idyllic life until he became a cop of some sort and infiltrated the Raza.

I'd be disappointed if some of them weren't the opposite of their real selves.
    It's been implied with Four that he's more of a dick then his real self.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    So the secret's out:
    One isn't Jace Corso... He's a corp CEO (something Moss I think?) who joined the Raza to get close to Three, the man he thinks murdered his wife... though only One knows the second part so far.

Also, loved that bit at the end with Two and the Android
    Android subtly calling out Two's hypocricy at complaining that everyone is keeping secrets and not trusting each other when she has her own secret (regenerating from that space zombie bite, which she still wears a bandage for to hide) that's she's not telling anyone

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I really like how when we learn character's histories
    It's not really what I expect. But so far they also fit the personalities they are displaying.

It's very easy to do "everyone has secrets!" wrong, but this show seems to be doing it right.

• Options
    This show is really shaping up to be something special. Also, it seems shit just got real with the end of that last episode.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    This show is really shaping up to be something special. Also, it seems shit just got real with the end of that last episode.

I was about to give it up when they went "Resident Evil in Spaaaaace!", but I'm glad I stuck around.
    This ep. was a nice payoff of Six watching the Transmit Transit commercial in the hospital a few weeks back. So glad to see that they didn't go the "You're all clones" route that I thought they'd use when they introduced the concept.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I think I understand One better now that:
    We know he's a Richie Rich type. He's kind of like a spoiled child with an optimistic outlook on life, most likely a byproduct of getting everything he's ever wanted but still being a somewhat decent person. Still kind of a creeper though.
    As for who pulled the memory wipe:
    I think it's obvious that One didn't wipe everyone's memories. The whole point of infiltrating the ship was to get close to Three for the murder of his wife. Part of that would be to find out who payed for the hit. If Three can't remember anything then what's even the point of subterfuge? Much more efficient to bring a corporate armada down on the Raza.

yossarian_lives on

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Given what we now know about one there does not seem to be any reason at all for him to do the mind wipe as it would not make any sense given his motiviations. Three seems more of a standard amoral merc and not some guy who would really seem to have any particular reason to do a mind wipe. Two, four and five seem like the only ones of the "crew" that seem like they would have the skills possibly reasons to do it but given how five got onto the ship it would not make a lot of sense for her to have done it.

I would not be surprised if it winds up being some outsider act of sabotage that did it. The other option simply is given the cloning tech they are showing visably in episodes now that somebody figured out how to do cloning that does not have the time limit in which case all bets are off.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    Given what we now know about one there does not seem to be any reason at all for him to do the mind wipe as it would not make any sense given his motiviations. Three seems more of a standard amoral merc and not some guy who would really seem to have any particular reason to do a mind wipe. Two, four and five seem like the only ones of the "crew" that seem like they would have the skills possibly reasons to do it but given how five got onto the ship it would not make a lot of sense for her to have done it.

I would not be surprised if it winds up being some outsider act of sabotage that did it. The other option simply is given the cloning tech they are showing visably in episodes now that somebody figured out how to do cloning that does not have the time limit in which case all bets are off.
    There's also the android. We just got introduced to the idea that they can have another hidden layer of programming and make great revenge tools.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    @Phillishere that's a cool idea that I didn't even think about.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    The latest episode was kinda weird.
    I'm still trying to figure out why Four killed that dude at the end. Seemed somewhat abrupt. Also, One getting all butthurt about Three was kinda silly.

• Options
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out why Four killed that dude at the end. Seemed somewhat abrupt. Also, One getting all butthurt about Three was kinda silly.
    I figured it was because as good and honorable as that guy was, he was loyal to the throne, not the person who is/should be on it. If Four wants to carry through on his "take back my crown" plot, as much as you'd want a guy like that, he'd be more of an obstacle than an asset.

...and yeah, One's behavior towards Three was a little silly, Two legitimately called out on how rediculous it would be for him to hold a grudge against him when not only can't they be sure Three actually did it or not (unlike Four and Six's past mistakes) but he doesn't even remember how he felt about his wife's murder.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Among the crew Four is the one who'd turn against them the quickest and with ruthless precision. Dude's a worse ticking time bomb than Three, even before the throne angle began.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I figured it was because as good and honorable as that guy was, he was loyal to the throne, not the person who is/should be on it. If Four wants to carry through on his "take back my crown" plot, as much as you'd want a guy like that, he'd be more of an obstacle than an asset.

...and yeah, One's behavior towards Three was a little silly, Two legitimately called out on how rediculous it would be for him to hold a grudge against him when not only can't they be sure Three actually did it or not (unlike Four and Six's past mistakes) but he doesn't even remember how he felt about his wife's murder.
    I'm willing to bet One had his wife murdered or something. Corporate people seem like that kind of asshole.

• Options

I'm willing to bet One had his wife murdered or something. Corporate people seem like that kind of asshole.
    I don't think so. I mean, if you murdered your wife and got away with it (since everyone believes it was 3, a known mercenary and criminal) the last thing you'd want to do is get dressed up to go crew with 3 to kill him. Doing so would likely draw attention to him and thus the case in general, that encourages more people to look into things increasing the chances of someone noticing an inconsistency in the accepted story.
    And if he managed to get close enough to 3 to kill him, that's going to result in a straight up fight between 1 and 3. And, sorry 1, but I'd give you 50/50 odds on that at best, even if you managed to ambush 3.

On the other hand, if 1 is a self-made widower, than it's far better for him to remain in the public eye "grieving" while whatever bounty hunters or space cops are out there have an APB on 3. If 3 is caught, he goes away for a long time. Even if he's innocent of that crime, he's got a rap sheet the length of his arm. He claims he's innocent, the cops nod knowingly (because that's exactly what a murderer would say) then dump him in a cell (or out an airlock). Then, case closed. Everyone believes 3 killed your wife, you go on, drying your tears in piles of space money and hookers.

The only way that I could see that line coming up is if One hired Three to kill his wife, then was going after Three to tie off the loose end. Even then, I'd think One would be smart enough to hire an assassin through a third party or do something to cover his tracks to minimize loose endage. Then again, if you've got One's money to throw around, why not just hire a second Merc to take care of Three? Makes sense, you're having him killed out of grief and anger over the loss of your wife (which everybody believes that Three is responsible for). Perfectly reasonable and understandable.

The lengths that One has gone through, plastic surgery, stealing the real guys berth on The Raza, taking his identity... I can't see any way for it to make sense unless he truly believes that Three killed his wife.

Of course, we could be (and most likely are) missing several large parts of the story. So who knows?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize Dark Matter was a show.

I thought this was going to be a [Science] thread.

Do we have a [Science] thread? I have a question.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options

We do have a science thread.
    It's at 100 pages though, so you might be better off creating a new science thread. On the other hand, the old one is still open, even though it's full.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

We do have a science thread.
    It's at 100 pages though, so you might be better off creating a new science thread. On the other hand, the old one is still open, even though it's full.

Thanks!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Among the crew Four is the one who'd turn against them the quickest and with ruthless precision. Dude's a worse ticking time bomb than Three, even before the throne angle began.
    I think four is probably the most dangerous of all of them. He is utterly practical if he thinks he needs to kill you to achieve an objective he is going to kill you with no real warning. The ending of the last episode was both a matter of he gave his old teacher a choice his teacher chose and he respected the choice but would not permit his old mentor from being a road block to the throne so killing him unexpectedly was the best route to the goal. It is also a message to his brother. He gave his brother a choice as well and now he thinks his brother chose not to come and to send his old master in his place. Fours killing of the old mentor is a message that the choice was given and he accepted their choices accepts they are now formal enemies and will be treated with no mercy going forward.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Most recent episode!

Nice reveal!

The ending is a little odd though.
    Who is going to plug in a weird cutting edge... thing within 5 minutes of getting it? Even if they had been preparing for ages it takes longer to provision a server than it did for them to hook up the mystery super tech

• Options
    the ending was weirdly edited, I wish they had a few more minutes to squeeze in there since it seems kind of major

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So I just got into this show and am enojying the hell out of it.

Also they kill like, a lot of people.

• Options
    I missed last week's episode. So I waited for it to go up on On Demand.

As of this morning, it still hadn't. But this week's episode did. So I figured out how to link my Hulu account to my ISP and watched it there (then watched the new one). And this show continues to impress me with what they are able to do with a clearly low budget.

It is actually in an odd category. It is a good show, it is entertaining without being cheesy like many of SyFy's shows. It's small scale and character-focused which makes it stand out. But ultimately it is still largely forgettable. I can't see this show making the same impact as, say, Battlestar Galactica. But it is a great sign for the network and some of the other works they have coming out (notably: The Expanse).