As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[amiibos] The Great Restockening is Upon Us. Hie Thee to Target.

SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
edited December 2018 in Games and Technology
Amiibo_logo.png

9KFZzzB.jpg

Amiibo. Rare icons of gaming history. While many endeavor to gather and preserve them, others still seek to profiteer from their scarcity.

In this thread, we discuss the bank accounts and relationships we sacrifice to build shrines to our childhood.

Amiibo Lineup:

There's too many of these things to list here -- Check out this wiki or the official list instead.

Compatible Games:

SaraLuna on

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    This thread is now sold out. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Have they said anything about the Animal Crossing Amiibo cards?

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The one bit of news I heard about AC cards is... *sigh* there's a supply issue in Japan with them.

https://twitter.com/nintendo/status/627010815502106625

Translation is basically "Product scarce, shipments coming, please understand".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    here's a big image with all the cards:
    r0k0bHi.jpg

the first 17 are rare (only one of those per pack), so buying 17 packs will "guarantee" a full set with 1-to-1 trading (in america anyway, apparently everyone else is getting hosed with smaller packs)

edit: oh, and it looks like scanning the villager figure into happy home designer gives you a gold statue item

SaraLuna on
    What I want to know are they like CCGs and their pack like stuff as you get trash and maybe a useful card every once in awhile

edited August 2015
    every card is a character and, if I understand correctly, is thus a "level" for home designer

the 17 rare/special cards are mostly the major NPCs, and thus (some of?) those cards may work in animal crossing party like their figure counterparts(??)

SaraLuna on
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Hey fellas, is this the amiibo thread? I like amiibos, too. Do you?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      Staring at a Wario in target that's clearly been torn into and had the package stapled back together.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
      TimFiji wrote: »

I love them so!

PSN - Brainiac_8
      Add me!
    • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
      here's a big image with all the cards:
      r0k0bHi.jpg

the first 17 are rare (only one of those per pack), so buying 17 packs will "guarantee" a full set with 1-to-1 trading (in america anyway, apparently everyone else is getting hosed with smaller packs)

edit: oh, and it looks like scanning the villager figure into happy home designer gives you a gold statue item

No Bam. No cards for me.

bYf6vNQ.png
      Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
      [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
      Oh man, they have most of my favourite villagers. But I don't want to play HHD!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    • LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
      Wasn't home when UPS tried to deliver Palutena :( Now I have to wait until Tuesday (Monday is a holiday here). Dark Pit should also be arriving Tuesday, so it'll be like Christmas in August around here.

I snagged an extra Dark Pit for @PacMan1979 but he managed to get his own so I got an extra one if anyone needs it.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
        I got 2 of my Yarn Yoshi's in today. Blue one is showing up monday!

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
        I asked in the previous thread before it got locked, but does anyone know if the Mario Maker or Yarn Yoshi amiibos have gone up for preorder in the States yet?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
        Steam: pazython
      • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
        Zython wrote: »
        I asked in the previous thread before it got locked, but does anyone know if the Mario Maker or Yarn Yoshi amiibos have gone up for preorder in the States yet?

No, not yet sadly.

Nintendo Console Codes
        Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
        edited August 2015
        At this point in time I have an extra Greninja and an extra Silver Mario up for grabs if anyone needs either.

maximumzero on
        FU7kFbw.png
        Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop

Rosalina and Ike say hi

Brainleech wrote: »

Rosalina and Ike say hi

Woo! Glad you got em safe and sound!

I also got a Wii Fit the same day but how can you tell if it's the old one or the new one other than the larger breasts

1. the new one doesn't actually have bigger breasts, that was just people being dumb. the only difference on the figure is that the paint job is much more likely to be clean, especially on the blue waistband
          2. second printing amiibos have a new 3ds on the back of the package. thus far, first printings have only had the gamepad on there. (for NA packaging anyway, idk about imports)

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
          All 2nd wave amiibo should have larger breasts. All of them.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
        • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
          All 2nd wave amiibo should have larger breasts. All of them.

Mario with larger breasts would be OP.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
          http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-on-challenges-of-making-amiibo-shows-how-theyre-tested-for-safety-and-reliability/
          The Nintendo CSR Report 2015 was recently published. In the digest version, there’s a big focus on amiibo, including a few interviews.

One portion of the report features an interview with Nintendo’s Masaki Amano. He spoke about the challenges faced in developing amiibo at one point, noting:

Nintendo has developed a variety of game systems such as Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. However, amiibo development was extremely challenging because we couldn’t use our existing knowledge at all and had to proceed through everything by trial and error.

For example, when we make a game system we usually make a mold of each part by cutting the metal directly from 3D data using a drill or some other tool. For a figure, however, you use almost no machinery at all to make the mold, and do everything by hand instead. For amiibo, we started by creating a master. We then took this master apart to consider how to easily coat colors or create each mold. Link, for example, has 24 separate pieces.

We took a cast of the first mold by pressing clay into each part of the master and then coating it with silicon. Finally, after repeatedly duplicating the mold with harder substances, we used iron to create a metal mold. Although we could not apply our existing knowledge or experiences, we learned along the way as we pursued absolute quality.

That wasn’t the only notable element from the Nintendo CSR Report 2015. We also get a look at how Nintendo tests amiibo for safety and reliability. See the image below.

h63YXvT.jpg

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
        • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
          edited August 2015
          Maz- wrote: »
          h63YXvT.jpg

It's like the Super Mario torture dungeon :P

Warlock82 on
          Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
          It scares me that Geth is awesoming a torture dungeon. o_O

PSN - Brainiac_8
          Add me!
          edited August 2015
          DGXFD70.jpg

It is the confirmed :P

Edit: Guy who posted said they are not doing the Pro 1 hour early thingm. Good, that would have been sucky.

Warlock82 on
          Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
        • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
          Pre-Order? Not an actual sale? That seems like a poor choice considering you can "win" the Pre-Order event then then lose because whoops not enough stock was shipped because no one knows how much stores will get!

Madican wrote: »
          Pre-Order? Not an actual sale? That seems like a poor choice considering you can "win" the Pre-Order event then then lose because whoops not enough stock was shipped because no one knows how much stores will get!

Huh? Preorder is a preorder. They know how many they are getting. You won't get a preorder at all if they run out.

(see: Ness preorders, Shulk preorders, etc)

Warlock82 wrote: »

Huh? Preorder is a preorder. They know how many they are getting. You won't get a preorder at all if they run out.

Except when they don't.

(see: Canadian Ness preorders)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
        • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular

Except when they don't.

Damn, that happened? This Canadian must've been lucky then.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
          I think they've wised up and are limiting pre-orders to the amount of actual stock on hand. But who the hell knows. The one thing I do know is that I'll be out of town that day and I'll need to call in a favor to a friend.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
          edited August 2015

Except when they don't.

Uh... no? Sorry, not what I meant.

Ness (and well all of wave 4 really) went up for preorder, and all stores took them, with no regard to actual stock (which they didn't know) or cutoff point. Then stores find out they're only getting something like ~4 Ness per store. So cue the calls to people telling them their preorder has been canceled.

Same thing happened with Robin and Lucina, of which stores got even less of.

There's rumors they've absolutely stopped doing preorders period for amiibos, to avoid this clusterfuck in the future.

edit: I'm a boob, I read that as "The Canadians must've been lucky", not 'This" Canadian...". :P

Either way, that's what happened. Was real shitty. :(

The Wolfman on
        • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
          edited August 2015

Except when they don't.

Uh... no? Sorry, not what I meant.

Ness (and well all of wave 4 really) went up for preorder, and all stores took them, with no regard to actual stock (which they didn't know) or cutoff point. Then stores find out they're only getting something like ~4 Ness per store. So cue the calls to people telling them their preorder has been canceled.

Same thing happened with Robin and Lucina, of which stores got even less of.

There's rumors they've absolutely stopped doing preorders period for amiibos, to avoid this clusterfuck in the future.
          Yeah, that's what I meant. I managed to push through after about 5-10 minutes of attempts on EBGames' site and got a preorder in. Despite the website not recognizing my order number I still got confirmation e-mails, and Ness arrived safely. I don't remember hearing about Ness preorders getting cancelled, but I might have just forgotten.

homogenized on
          Whatever the case, I wouldn't worry about it. They obviously know their stock numbers here. They aren't going to oversell.

Only time there are actually problems are when they don't know stock ahead of time, which I think is why most places have been waiting quite awhile to open amiibo preorders ever since post-wave 3.

Please tell me Duck Hunt is not Gamestop exclusive.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
          Please tell me Duck Hunt is not Gamestop exclusive.

So far all three are. The individual figures are not in anyone else's system.

edited August 2015
          According to reddit, the Gamestop requiring a Pro Membership was canceled due to all the negative backlash

TimFiji on
            According to reddit, the Gamestop requiring a Pro Membership was canceled due to all the negative backlash

Yup, because it was complete bullshit :P I'm really glad they aren't doing that.