As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where the hell do you get 6' by 4' tables?

TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Critical Failures
So we've just moved into our new house and with a bit of heavy lifting and managed to turn one of the of our bedrooms into a potential study/games room. The trouble now arises in trying to find a table the right size, this is probably of more interest to those who play GW games though I've heard that its almost the gaming standard now for whatever reason.

However, this is not the standard dining, kitchen or garden table size nor are folding or plaster's tables the right size either. Previously I had modified a folding table with three bits of 4' by 2' MDF (which seems to be a standard size for MDF, chipboard and plywood but not real woods) - however this ended up weighing an absolute ton and would probably been too much for the car let along the people trying to get it upstairs.

So yes, lets hear how you got your table or whether you built your own and if the latter any reccomendations you can make or plans you can share?

To start with I'd say don't use MDF to enlarge a small table, or at least not thick MDF (didn't want it to warp or snap if someone lent on it so used approx 15mm thick sheets of the stuff). I've had an idea to find a cheap folding table and enlarge it with some sort of frame that could then hold a sheet of MDF covered with sand/flock/textured sheet which could then be swapped or flipped if you wanted desert or space rather than the conventional green. However I did get a D in my technology GSCE so I'm very wary of biting off more than I can chew here, and a frame extending out from a table capable of securing a large sheet of hardboard seems like it might be a little ambitious.

If you fancy turning this into a general Carpentry for Wargames thread, at somepoint I need to make a hood/area for airbrushing as well (though supposedly this can be done with a cardboard box, a PC fan and bin bags...so I'm less worried there

Tastyfish on

• Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, the best I can give you an example of is when I bought my dad an electric train set. It came with a video on how to build a table for the train and I have been using that as an example of how to build one. It was made of wood or plywood but seemed study enough. It also showed how to make terrain and water effects. I'll see if I can get it on youtube or some such.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mine is only 4x4 and put together in an afternoon, but its 2x4 chipboard re-enforced (wooden frame) panels which bolt onto a smaller table. The advantage of this is that its quick to disassemble and pack away, and not too bad as far as sturdiness goes.

I think the trick to doing something larger would be to find 2-3 smallish sturdy tables of identical height.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A 6 x 4 piece of plywood with another small board hammered into the dead center of it and attached to a fold-up Black and Decker Work Mate table. This is how we play.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg