As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - PATV - First 15 – Rocket League

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - PATV - First 15 – Rocket League

Gabe and Tycho play a game for 15 minutes and then judge it accordingly. This week they play Rocket League. You can watch the full length version of this episode here.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    That looks amazing. Mostly unrelated: when RC was mentioned I wished that a Battlebots take on something like this existed. Like one of those First robotics competition things but with rocket launchers and chainsaws. I'd back that on Kickstarter.

Back to the video. Touch the ball Berry Foreskin! Geez. Or put the difficulty back to wuss. Seriously though. I'm awed that there was this much trouble on what was only "Pro" difficulty and there's one called "Unfair." If your teammates are playing for the other side on Pro, I imagine that in Unfair they just hold you down and shank you repeatedly while the other team plays unimpeded.

• Lingering GrinLingering Grin Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Rocket League is AMAZING, I saw it, was like: "$20!? I dunno..."

Honestly if Steam didn't have their new refund system in place, I never would have bought it.

Now though? One of the best $20 I ever spent. It's SO simple to get into, but there's these crazy tricks you can learn, like being able to angle your car right and boost across the field, and essentially FLY. I still suck at aiming it though =P

EDIT: Oh yeah, BTW, the only difference between the cars is the hitbox, it gives the larger cars more defensive capabilities, but the smaller cars a better kick when you flip into the ball.

I personally LOVE the Venom, it's this great middle ground that has a good feeling kick, and it's juuuust large enough to be able to defend a bit.

Lingering Grin on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Flying is serious high-level behaviour. I'm level 18 and haven't seen anybody in my online games attempting it. When I attempt it, I hover uncertainly for a few seconds before hitting a wall.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Just angle your car back about 45 degrees, and hit your boost, but not quite full on, just tap it a bit to learn, THEN you can crank it up.

edited August 2015
    Just angle your car back about 45 degrees, and hit your boost, but not quite full on, just tap it a bit to learn, THEN you can crank it up.

Hmm. This goes against everything I stand for regarding boosting (More powweeeeerrrrrrr) - I'll try it, thanks.

Rhesus Positive on
    yeah I'm learning myself not to be as aggressive. Basically, if you start in the back field, grab the boost pad right in front of you, but then stop and wait to see where the ball goes on the kickoff

• DasilodaviDasilodavi Registered User regular
    Oh sweet! I recognize this, it's an update of a PS3 arcade game called Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars. It's a simple design with a lot of cool ways to get better. Damn I wish I owned a PS4 now.

It's on PC too... with cross platform play ;)

• WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    Dasilodavi wrote: »
    Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars.

Let me just take a moment to savor that name.

• JayCarrJayCarr Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I really hope they continue to do all game coverage in the grayest shades of sarcasm, I find it extremely entertaining when I can't figure out if they are ever serious about what they are saying :D.

JayCarr on
  • OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    This has become that game that everyone I know talks about. And I mean everyone. Even people for whom the hobby is a passing interest. That makes me very happy because this is what I mean when I say "perfectly executed" in regards to a video game. And it's $20.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Isn't this free on the PS4? I had a feeling that was the case, but didn't really follow the news that closely since I don't have one.

forumsig.png
    darleysam wrote: »
    Isn't this free on the PS4? I had a feeling that was the case, but didn't really follow the news that closely since I don't have one.

Yep, on PS+ until August.

I haven't seen my wife this into a PS4 game since Don't Starve. It led to me going out in the middle of a rainstorm to pick up a second controller so we could play together.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Ahhh a PS+ freebie. I thought they were doing some FTP-supported-by-microtransactions thing.
    Yeah if it ever hits the One, I think my girlfriend and I will be straight on it.

forumsig.png
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular

45?

90. You want your momentum from driving on the ground to carry you forward, your boost is for upwards movement.

Also, save your second jump for when you're in the air. Can help you apply some force to the ball, or for sudden course correction if you use it to the side.

It's definitely a hard thing to master though, doing the aerial tutorials repeatedly will help.

You'll probably start to see people doing aerials when you hit rank 20 and you're matched with people in the 'pro' bracket.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
    Haven't seen too many people doing it yet, and I'm almost rank 22

then again I JUST started playing ranked games, so I expect to see more crazy skills soon