As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am a piece of shit and I hate myself: The Webcomics Story

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Stop gettin mad at webcomics.
    no

tumblr_n12dbuEkj91qggczbo5_250.gif

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Kinda wish I could post Tower of God in here but holy hell each update would be an endless scroll.

Couldn't you just chop off a roughly page-sized chunk from the start of the comic using the image editor of your preference and then stick the rest of the update in a spoiler beneath it? Kind of like how some people here post Terrible Terrible Terrible.

From a quick glance at the official translation and stuff, it looks like it updates with roughly 50 pages every week? You could split that into 7-and-a-bit pages a day if you wanted to make the updates a bit less of an endless scroll, I guess. Also it comes in conveniently page-sized chunks so that's good. You get a helluva lot of extraneous images if you save the page, FYI, so just get a rehost-to-imgur extension to make your life easier.

I'm kind of doing the same thing with One Punch Man, since each "update" is generally an entire 15-page chapter (or 5ish pages when he uploads incomplete ones) and I'm posting those at 3 pages a day.

I could probably start posting Tower of God alongside my One Punch Man posts, I guess, but I figure that it would be best to leave that to someone who has actually read the damn thing. It wouldn't be hard to do, though. It's not like Bartkira where you need to do some tricksy stuff to get at the images, you can literally just right-click-save-as (or right-click-"rehost and copy to clipboard", in my case.)

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I used to hate the asian really vertical comic style, but now that I'm browsing the forums a lot on my phone I can understand the appeal

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    I feel like when someone posts Tower of God, they're treading a fine line between webcomics and manga.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Dammit, Geth. Stop reacting to all of my posts in every thread. What would you know about ninjas and adorable giftbombs in an open world game?

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    ru066mrl74hy.png
    I knew we should have researched pottery instead of animal husbandry...
    Civilization V

Hang on, this isn't a Nintendo game. What's going on?
    thunderstruck still has a ridiculous amount of katana wankery (though any amount greater than 0 is ridiculous)

"A real Japanese-forged katana like that is as sacred as it gets"

COME ON
    If you can't laugh at it, I pity thee. :) TS has so much over-the-top shit like this, it's like the only webcom I've lol'd at audibly for the last few weeks. That goddamn flashback just a page back or so for example.
    Edit: Oh, and the story has actually started going places now, so it's a sort-of interesting read besides the comedy value.
    In ergo: Good webcomic.

I can laugh at it sure

But the line between honest and ironic japanophile wankery has grown so thin I'd rather just read something else even if it's being over the top on purpose

• Options
    AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »
    I feel like when someone posts Tower of God, they're treading a fine line between webcomics and manga.

What's the difference other then the main method of distribution?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Kinda wish I could post Tower of God in here but holy hell each update would be an endless scroll.

Couldn't you just chop off a roughly page-sized chunk from the start of the comic using the image editor of your preference and then stick the rest of the update in a spoiler beneath it? Kind of like how some people here post Terrible Terrible Terrible.

From a quick glance at the official translation and stuff, it looks like it updates with roughly 50 pages every week? You could split that into 7-and-a-bit pages a day if you wanted to make the updates a bit less of an endless scroll, I guess. Also it comes in conveniently page-sized chunks so that's good. You get a helluva lot of extraneous images if you save the page, FYI, so just get a rehost-to-imgur extension to make your life easier.

I'm kind of doing the same thing with One Punch Man, since each "update" is generally an entire 15-page chapter (or 5ish pages when he uploads incomplete ones) and I'm posting those at 3 pages a day.

I could probably start posting Tower of God alongside my One Punch Man posts, I guess, but I figure that it would be best to leave that to someone who has actually read the damn thing. It wouldn't be hard to do, though. It's not like Bartkira where you need to do some tricksy stuff to get at the images, you can literally just right-click-save-as (or right-click-"rehost and copy to clipboard", in my case.)

Yeah, I was thinking of the spoiler hiding the rest of the update, as well as only posting a bit each time so it's not super-huge. I'll have to look into that Imgur extension you mentioned though, hopefully it's for Chrome, even if I need to use Greasemonkey.

• Options
    Alright, let's take this format for a test run and see how it goes. Rehosting the images seems to take a weirdly long amount of time, I dunno what's up with that. I checked and they're only something like 80KB apiece. All 49 pages of the newest chapter weigh in at 4,19MB combined. That guy's seems to have some decent image compression going on, so I haven't the slightest what's up. Maybe it's on my end.

Tower of God [Chapter 0] [NSFW, maybe? I dunno.] is a webtoon by Naver and is read left to right, I shit you not.

url="http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-1-ep-0/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=1"]Season 1 Episode 0[/url

CEPT5qm.jpg
    mGjabwG.jpg
    MVGYSkp.jpg
    xlCbELa.jpg
    dCWbUIn.jpg
    fNd0mxo.jpg
    fNd0mxo.jpg

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    11242989_10153484206374887_6238199943993874292_n.jpg?oh=5473c2fba2a63a0e0e3773fd4c1dee3c&oe=5641D92A

• Options

Isn't tower of god korean?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

It's a webtoon, whatever that means. EDIT: Also, "Manga" is Japanese - the Korean equivalent is "Manwha", the Chinese "Manhua", Swedish "Serier" and English "Comics".
    Yeah, I was thinking of the spoiler hiding the rest of the update, as well as only posting a bit each time so it's not super-huge. I'll have to look into that Imgur extension you mentioned though, hopefully it's for Chrome, even if I need to use Greasemonkey.

I'm using Rehost Image on Firefox, but there's probably something similar for Chrome out there. No greasemonkey required.

This looks similar, but I dunno how trustworthy it is. I'd suggest googling around just to be safe.

Neveron on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Tower of God, huh?

this is gonna be a while

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    i'm a big fan of john cage and chance operations so here's a comic that was made in part with dice rolls

tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho1_500.jpg

tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho2_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho3_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho4_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho5_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho6_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho7_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho8_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho9_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho10_540.jpg

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

It's a webtoon, whatever that means. EDIT: Also, "Manga" is Japanese - the Korean equivalent is "Manwha", the Chinese "Manhua", Swedish "Serier" and English "Comics".

I'm using Rehost Image on Firefox, but there's probably something similar for Chrome out there. No greasemonkey required.

This looks similar, but I dunno how trustworthy it is. I'd suggest googling around just to be safe.

I'll take a more in-depth look when I get home then, thanks.

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    Tower of God, huh?

this is gonna be a while

well... at least you know it's not going on hiatus

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    qtXcQll.png
    saw this bummer news on the weekend. UGH AMERICA

http://chainsawsuit.com/comic/2015/08/03/rip-hitchbot/

• Options
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hitchbot had a great time with plenty of good people until that goose ruined everything for everybody.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I hope they didn't have too good of a time.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

It's the Unwritten Book of the Road

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    Tower of God, huh?

this is gonna be a while

I'm reckoning roughly never if the archive dump only keeps apace with new releases, literally years at a rate of ten pages/day, and maybe half a year or so at a chapter a day.

I mean, tomorrow's going to be my six-month anniversary for posting One Punch Man. Aside from how Jesus Christ has it already been so long, I've still only got a bit more than a third of the way through that.

But yeah, I'll need to do some math to figure out an acceptable rate for Tower of God. There's 240 chapters of 50 pages each, +1/week, +7 pages from the prologue... So that's 12007 pages today +50/additional week. Or +~7,14 pages/day. Lemme make an excel table real quick.

...Yeah, apparently if I want to finish this in less than two years I'd need to post 24 pages/day. And even then it's 1,95 years.

On the bright side, at a chapter a day it's just 281 days before I'd be up-to-date! But that's posting 50 pages a day and dumping 4-5MB of material, not to mention how horribly tedious it is to post 50 images.

These numbers are kind of depressing, so I don't think I'll actually archive dump it. Although maybe I could make something work by posting the first page of each chapter each day and having it link to the rest of the chapter. Sort of like what people do for Subnormality and (sometimes) TTT, except as an archive crawl. That might be interesting.

• Options
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The funny thing about samurai is a fact that Extra History mentioned about them switching sides over long term and short term rivalries, revenge, and power plays, while Ninja were actually the ones with honor and supported their causes through thick and thin and beheading all the enemy commanders between their lords and freedom.

Samurai:I'm the captain now!
    Ninja:Wait here, captain. My men and I will cut you a path.
    Nah, you'll note that they said that the rank and file samurai probably did stick to a code of honor. It was just those of them who were vying for control of the nation who acted particularly guile.

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I am so happy Tower of God is getting posted

Now this truly is the secret manga/manhwa thread

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to post manwha either. I just see it posted frequently on manga reader sites. But eh, give posting it a shot and see what the mods say.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

It's the Unwritten Book of the Road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5gQidrzojU

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Hitchbot had a great time with plenty of good people until that goose ruined everything for everybody.

psQzxkz.png

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2015/08/we-can-rebuild-him-philadelphia-hackers-offer-brotherly-love-to-fallen-robot/

• Options
    Now someone post Noblesse

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Okay, I gotta be blunt here.

You kinda got to draw a line with Korean Webcomics man.

It's basically Korean Manga. And they are all 100% Anime.

If you open up the possibility of Noblesse being posted in this thread, you will herald the song that ends the world, and it'll be all Korean manga all the time.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

Not sure what you mean by this, I've never seen anyone post Nerf Now behind a spoiler

• Options
    Kana wrote: »

I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to post manwha either. I just see it posted frequently on manga reader sites. But eh, give posting it a shot and see what the mods say.

I mean, we can't post published shit because that's just piracy. That's why it's the webcomics thread and not just the random scanned comics thread.

• Options
    Nobody actually post Noblesse because while I read it I fully admit it's garbage

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    still my favourite headline for the Hitchbot thing:

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Wrong thread?

• Options
    Most of the manwha that is posted here is available online and in English for free at Webtoons which is completely on the up and up. Tower of God and Noblesse are both up there legally if you're some kind of comic masochist like I am.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Wrong thread?

it's been mentioned/discussed in multiple posts on this very page, so... no?

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Wrong thread?

Nah, Chainsaw Suit is about Hitchbot.

This discussion has been closed.