As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Things that should have names but don't

2»

• YarYar Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    Also: sniglets were a running meme, of sorts, throughout the 80s. The Meaning of Liff was published in 1983. I don't see why you must bring some kind of one-upmanship in here.
    And Lloyd was the creator of Not the Nine O'Clock News, while Rich Hall was on Not Necessarily the News. Let's see just how deep this rabbit hole goes!!!

Yar on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    ? - to poke as with a broom.

I don't know what the word would be. But we need a word for that action.

Poink - to poke with a broom an object or substance that is possibly unsavory

Darth Waiter on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    WOKING (participial vb.)
    Standing in the kitchen wondering what you came in here for.

Also a town in Surrey, England.

I know this because it's where I live.

BTW, it's Woe-King

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • NiladenNiladen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Prestifridgeitation (v.) - Attempting to repeatedly conjure foodstuffs within a refrigerator by opening the door(s), often met with little to no success.

Niladen on
  • ecczi.ecczi. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    FELYEURISM (n.)
    Your cat's dire need of watching you using the toilet.

My cat is a dedicated felyeur.

ecczi. on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2006
    saint2e wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:
    WOKING (participial vb.)

BTW, it's Woe-King

Am I correct in assuming that puns revolving around "Woking Man" or "Hardly Woking" are considered poor form?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    saint2e wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:
    WOKING (participial vb.)

BTW, it's Woe-King
    How about that, my dad is working there right now.
    Taximes wrote:
    Simplate (v.)

To explain to a person older than yourself, usually a parent or relative, how to execute an extremely easy task on a computer.
    I picture myself trying to explain to my grandfather how, even though he's mastered it for icons on his desktop, he doesn't need to double-click on stuff on the internet. I feel bad though, because he takes it so seriously - takes his hand off the mouse, poised for that double-click, while his other hand holds it in place.

Andrew_Jay on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    To steal one from a similar McDonalds thing from when I was a kid -

Pleeflick (n) - That single strand of hair that always manages to stick out in a photo.

Yes, I do use this word.

Jragghen on
  • mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    There need to be words that mean the exact same things as "meme", "blog" and "neoconservative", but don't make you sound like a goddamn idiot when you say them

mcc on
  • ecczi.ecczi. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    mcc wrote:
    There need to be words that mean the exact same things as "meme", "blog" and "neoconservative", but don't make you sound like a goddamn idiot when you say them
    I couldn't agree more. Especially about "blog". Oh, how I hate this "word".

"Podcasts" could also use a name that doesn't require you to add "no, you don't need an iPod to listen to this shit".

ecczi. on
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    mcc wrote:

What's wrong with "meme"? It's got a Greek root and everything!

"Blog" really does need to die - I advocate simply calling them web sites, since there's nothing to distinguish a "blog" from any other site.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    SCHNORF - A sentence fragment that makes no sense when heard out of context, but is comprehensible when you understand the situation. Usually overheard from a nearby conversation.

My group of friends have been using this for quite a while. We actually invented the word before the usage, on the basis that it sounds awesome when said out loud.

Crimson King on
  • JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ecczi. wrote:
    mcc wrote:
    I couldn't agree more. Especially about "blog". Oh, how I hate this "word".

"Podcasts" could also use a name that doesn't require you to add "no, you don't need an iPod to listen to this shit".

Someone of internet prominence (exactly whom, I forget), has suggested they be called "Netcasts" to disassociate them from the iPod. You might want to Google it if you want a more specific answer.

JWFokker on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    saint2e wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:
    WOKING (participial vb.)

BTW, it's Woe-King
    How about that, my dad is working there right now.
    Taximes wrote:
    Simplate (v.)

To explain to a person older than yourself, usually a parent or relative, how to execute an extremely easy task on a computer.
    I picture myself trying to explain to my grandfather how, even though he's mastered it for icons on his desktop, he doesn't need to double-click on stuff on the internet. I feel bad though, because he takes it so seriously - takes his hand off the mouse, poised for that double-click, while his other hand holds it in place.

We need a word for people who double click links, and perhaps this can also apply to people who capitalize domain names and email addresses on their business cards.

Also, speaking of words we DON'T need, I really fucking hope that "webizode" doesn't catch on. It's an episode, and it's on the internet. You don't need a new word for it.

Delzhand on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I can't take credit for this one, a buddy came up with it-

dickshovel: The act of intentionally taking someone's seat once they've gone to another room for a moment.

Tach on
  • GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Tach wrote:
    I can't take credit for this one, a buddy came up with it-

dickshovel: The act of intentionally taking someone's seat once they've gone to another room for a moment.

We call that the "3 second rule". There are exemptions for socially beneficial acts of seat vacation such as making tea/coffee or being the sole rent payer in a house.

Gorak on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    jmillikin wrote:
    mcc wrote:

"Blog" really does need to die - I advocate simply calling them web sites, since there's nothing to distinguish a "blog" from any other site.

"weblog" only adds one syllable and sounds much less twatty.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    "Pull a Homer"

I'm suprised that this hasn't entered normal vocabulary, while so many other simpsons terms and refferences have. The episode gave the definition as "to succeede despite idiocy", which I dont really like. The examples given by the episode sugest a better and more useful definition though- "to succeed due to idiocy". Basically you do something stupid/wrong but through luck ends up being a good thing for you. This sort of thing happens pretty frequently, it deserves this word.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    SCHNORF - A sentence fragment that makes no sense when heard out of context, but is comprehensible when you understand the situation. Usually overheard from a nearby conversation.

My group of friends have been using this for quite a while. We actually invented the word before the usage, on the basis that it sounds awesome when said out loud.
    If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college...

Perhaps "schnorfpop" for the onomatopoeia of the exploding brain aneurysm you have from trying to parse these types of phrases.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    jmillikin wrote:
    mcc wrote:

So, you would have trouble distinguishing, say, bestbuy.com or google from someone's livejournal?

There certainly are characteristics that distinguish blogs from other sites.

mrflippy on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    When you download music/movies/etc off the internet it's called 'Pirating' making reference to the sea-mercenaries of the old world who would steal from merchant vessels, oftentimes under the employ of one European nation or another.

While at college we discovered that one could use AOL Instant Messenger (or "AIM") as a file-sharing device. In your options you can choose a folder to share and then anyone on your buddy list (you can change these settings, but I liked to keep it exclusive to cats I knew personally) can right-click, hit 'get file' and download your music collection to their computer while you were at class.
    We decided this specific type of pirating (where you're only copying the music of someone you know) would be called 'poaching'.
    As in:
    I just poached your Tenacious D CD yesterday. Shit is awesome!
    or
    Could you let me poach that copy of Fight Club tonight? I've been itching to watch that again.

It came pretty naturally into use and then died away once we'd traded anything interesting we might have.

TankHammer on