As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, August 4, 2015 - Hoppy Ending

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2015 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Tuesday, August 4, 2015 - Hoppy Ending

Hoppy Ending

Hoppy Ending

http://campcomic.com/comic/232

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• SporadicDuckSporadicDuck Registered User regular
    If Brian cheers, you cheer! A simple fact of life.

Lovely comic to end it all! Truly a happy ending if I've ever seen one.

• ShamrockSeraphShamrockSeraph Registered User regular
    Brian is my hero. When I grow up, I wanna be like him. (I'm 28)

• SynDuoSynDuo John A. Galvan Somewhere over a rainbowRegistered User regular
    The crowd loses it. :') I really love that 6th panel, adorable.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Lol

The expressions are so great again.
    Seriously:
    The mean girls, Fred, Steve(n), the Twins

• noname4444noname4444 Registered User new member
    I love the amount of details that went into this! There is so much going on between the last three panels. Not everyone bought in to Brian's cheer, some were spooked by the noise (but not the cat!), and there was no need for tomato rocks. It's amazing how much of each campers personality can be conveyed in the last panel. Katie, you are amazing!

• Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    happy ends. love it. Also I love to see that the mean tomato painted rock throwers are drooping away with their tails between their legs. Great ending to a great arc.

• Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    My favorite Brian moment so far. This was brilliant.

• GenghisZahnGenghisZahn Registered User new member
    Brian is the best. I love his look of stoic satisfaction in the last panel.

• plato360plato360 Registered User regular
    You had me at 'Woo'

• RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    Brian is so great.

• cwbuechelercwbuecheler Providence, RIRegistered User regular
    I rarely ever actually laugh out loud at comics (even when I'm fully enjoying them!) but Brian's expression in the penultimate panel really got me.

• Roymaster45Roymaster45 Registered User regular
    This made my day before it even began... thank you, Katie :)

Also, I love how the two kids in the bottom-left are still earning the titles of "Asshole 1 and Asshole 2".

(Did anybody else notice the Russell cameo?)

• RoyalPolishCavalryRoyalPolishCavalry Registered User regular
    This made me soooo happy. Thanks folks!

• theGrognardtheGrognard Registered User regular
    I love this arc. I love how Brian helps resolve it. You have established some compelling characters at Weedonwantcha.

• RubbaDukeeRubbaDukee Registered User regular
    Brilliant. From Brian and the transition of the last 3 panels of the entire camp. Simply brilliant.

• FlaxSeedFlaxSeed Registered User regular
    Game, set, match Brian. A great end for a very good tale. Really showed the persona of some characters, both main and background. I can't search right now, but is this or is it the "hair/puma" the longest tale we had so far?

• InterruptingGingerInterruptingGinger Registered User regular
    Creepy twins expression...unchanged. Love it.

• julesm101julesm101 Registered User regular
    Ok, silhouette panels 1 and 8, who's view are we seeing the stage from? I'm guessing Braden the notching expert :)

• CheddarLimboCheddarLimbo Registered User regular
    Dear Katie - Thanks for ending it in a way that only made me cry a little. <3

• TimAusTimAus Registered User regular
    Little details I love:
    Boy with six fingers
    Reactions of mean girls and ropes course kids
    Brian's hair in 3rd last panel
    Russell!
    The twins

One question, where is rat kid? He's not sitting with ostrich kid and manatee kid

One more thing it's interesting to see that Jeremy is still hanging out with those two girls. Is he interested in the one who likes him or the friend?

• Pullbox MykePullbox Myke Uncertified BAMF Janesville, WIRegistered User new member
    I saved a cropped image of the WOOOOOO! for when Tavis' KS funds, haha.
    ~ Myke

• pogleypogley Registered User regular
    My gosh, so happy. Knew you were going to make this end in a special way Katie - good job :D

• wanderingmonsterwanderingmonster Registered User new member
    You should kickstart a "Talent Show" comic full of all their acts, all of them!!!

• Mr Fish 86Mr Fish 86 Registered User regular
    ahhhhh HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! YES BRIAN!!!!

• JBluewindJBluewind Registered User regular
    Sorry for the length in advance. I got a little heavy (as in, WAY overboard) with the theoretical questions in my first post. :\

I've been reading this comic since April (I back read all of them though) and finally decided to go through the hassle of registering just to say how much I love this comic. The stories and art are beautiful, detailed, and well thought out. It's not the kind of comic you can get everything out of in one glance including today's story. There is so much depth here. I love all the minor details and all the thought that goes into each one. I'm seriously hoping the panel with them jumping together ends up as a poster. ^_^

Earlier today, I started thinking about to the universe these children live in. Somewhere out there, there are parents/guardians/adults that decided that they didn't want these children and dumped them off at this place where there is a real possibility that they could die (low on food, lack of medical care, high risk of injury,...). How would a world like that work?

Why?
    Did something happen (global disaster, food shortage, laws, population control, nanotechnology,...) where only the best are allowed to be loved and grow up to be a part of society while the rest are left to fend for themselves? Is it their cultural norm to discard children in the wild in predetermined areas if they don't excel at what adults decide they should, if they don't fit in, or if the adults just don't like them? Is it a government funded site where parents can dump children without consequences? Is it an experiment that allows parents to lend, sell, or donate their children? Do they film it for entertainment/gambling purposes and give the adults prizes based on what their child does?

How?
    Has it been going on for generations with set guidelines where everybody knows about it or is this the first time they've set anything like this up? Do the adults feel conflicted or ever regret it afterward? Do the adults have to fill out forms stating that they willingly give up their children or do they just dump them? Has an adult ever tried to get their child back after taking them to camp? Are there requirements (age range, shots, health,...) and things that make a child not eligible to be sent to the camp (like sever intellectual disability or paralysis)?

What happens to disabled children that nobody wants or children with special needs they don't allow in the camps (amputee, blind, low to mid functioning Autism, heart defect,...)? We know a few of the campers may have a learning disability and/or higher functioning mental issues, so is there a cut off functioning level and physical ability for them to be approved? Think about it. A child missing an arm would do as well as the others, but living there without a leg (they would outgrow their prosthetic) would be challenging. A child in a wheelchair would face even more hardship (the camp is not exactly wheelchair friendly). A deaf/mute child could struggle to communicate. One with an organ transplant would die without medication. A hypoglycemic child could become unconscious from not eating often enough. Is that why there are no children like that there?

Supplies
    Where do the crates come from? Company/government? Citizens trying to help discarded children in restricted areas? Hunger Game -esk sponsors? People looking for a laugh? And why do they send the supplies they do? Is it all part of some sort of elaborate test? Do they just dump stuff there that nobody else wants? Did they send the domesticated cats for the campers to observe or practice hunting with (they are starving)? They must have released cats more than once for there to be that many in the camp/woods.

Long term
    Is their stay at the camp temporary or permanent? Do they get to leave at a certain age, get transferred to a different camp, or live out their lives in their original camp? What happens if they try to escape when they get older? Do they ever get any education beyond what they have learned before they got there? Can they ever rejoin society or will they be forced to live on the fringe, in special districts, or in camps for the rest of their lives? If the adults dump the kids in a specific spot for a few years before moving to another, each group of campers would be around the same age and grow up together (meaning the feral child could be the first child dumped in their area, not the first one period). What happens when campers get old enough to date, fall in love, and have children of their own?

tl;dr I love this comic, it's amazing, and it makes me think and wonder how their world works (obviously way more than any normal person! XD ). I hope they make a poster out of the panel with Seventeen and Mal jumping because it's adorable. ^_^

• SerpitSerpit Registered User new member
    Just discovered this comic yesterday and had to make an account to say how much I goddamn love it already. So much joy can be derived from every single aspect, it's amazing.

Katie, I was wondering, would it be possible for you to post a clear version of that big, semi-transparent image of Seventeen and Malachi holding hands while jumping in panel 6? Seventeen just looks so incredibly happy, I'd love to get an isolated version of that moment.

• mattlohkampmattlohkamp Registered User regular
    man there's a lot happening in those last three panels.

also I like that you subverted the "Malachi's talent is organizing the talent show" payoff.

• HollenheimHollenheim Registered User regular
    @Serpit Malachi also looks pretty legit happy in that image. It's telling that if he relaxes and just tries to enjoy the moment he can have fun too. He might also be enjoying seeing Seventeen having fun, her joy can be infectious!

I've always wondered, which one of you comes up with the titles of the comics?
    Because the puns always get me.

• KatieJRiceKatieJRice Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    I've always wondered, which one of you comes up with the titles of the comics?
    Because the puns always get me.

Adam's responsible for the majority of them. :]

• KatieJRiceKatieJRice Registered User regular
    @Serpit I uploaded a super big version into my wallpaper album on Flickr...here's the link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/katiejrice/19678521434/in/album-72157642879862734/

:]

• motorfireboxmotorfirebox Registered User regular
    :')

• AsphoronAsphoron Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Now I'll have them dancing on one of my screens and the crowd cheering on the other :D

• SerpitSerpit Registered User new member
    @Katiejrice Thank you! Exactly what I wanted. You're awesome.

• DD23DD23 Registered User new member
    I cant help but feel that this camp is an "after-life" like place for kids who died. There are NO adults, and all of the children seem to have come from some sort of rough background.
    Seventeen could have died when the still exploded. Mal died in the chemical explosion. The kid who used to get dunked in the toilet could have drowned....

Perhaps this camp is made to help children make peace with themselves before they move on to the next life?

Just saying...

• cubbylostboycubbylostboy Registered User regular
    As always, an awesome ending to the story arc. I still hope Malachai realizes how much joy he's brought even if it wasn't his intention. As for Brian, I've always thought he was awesome and this just adds to that. Makes me more curious about his back story (uh, not that I'm hinting or anything like that).

As always, an awesome ending to the story arc. I still hope Malachai realizes how much joy he's brought even if it wasn't his intention. As for Brian, I've always thought he was awesome and this just adds to that. Makes me more curious about his back story (uh, not that I'm hinting or anything like that).

I think one of the news posts at the end of season 1 said Brian's backstory would be one of the things they're working on for this season.

TBH I'm terrified. I don't think I can handle another emotional roller coaster. (I'm only kidding, despite how bad things are sometimes, I think the comic has a strong sense of hope and friendship that make it a very enjoyable, if emotional, read.)

• FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    Somehow "D'AAAWWWWW!" doesn't seem like enough.

• AlernetAlernet Registered User regular
    I'm so happy that things worked out for Malachi for once. :,)

• RationalExplanationRationalExplanation Registered User new member
    Can't you just hear the crickets?