As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Devil May Cry 5 Announced: MY GRANDFATHER IS TOO POWERFUL

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    The old trick up, trick towards and trick back system is gone, unless you are in devil trigger. Then you can table hopper and trick back endlessly.
    Otherwise his teleport works like this.

If summoned sword is embedded in enemy, pressing style button teleports you to them. There's no limit to the number of times you can do this as long as a sword is embedded in them and it means you can follow them in the air. This overrides all other uses of the style button. This acts as an animation cancel similar to jump cancelling, only super easy. If you are above them mid air he auto tricks down.
    If summoned sword is NOT embedded in enemy AND you do not have the lock on button pressed it will trick up.
    If lock on button is pressed it will shoot a summoned sword to an enemy and then teleport to them. This means your teleport is limited by the travel time of the summoned sword. Making it useless for emergency evasion.
    If you teleport in place the animation is so fast you can't use this for i frames, because it'll basically teleport into the middle frames of the attack.

Your only defensive moves are roll, jump and dt trick down/side.

Kind of lame.
    Even DmC vergil kept his trick down and trick back in normal form.
    DMC3 se vergil could teleport in place and it had decent i frames, at least as much as a jump. The new one is much too fast and unreliable to boot since it has the summoned sword limitation. Nothing like pressing dodge and you end up shooting the enemy and get hit.

They basically gutted his defence to allow for brain dead easy mid air cancelling.
    I mean, the fact that you can do this is cool. But jesus don't take out trick back outside of DT. That's just stupid. There's attacks in this game you need some form of evasion to get through. Like berials super aoe if you are too close when he starts. Jumping wont let you avoid it, rolling is really difficult.
    Nero can use shuffle to i frame through it and because he only has one weapon it means its always available. If it was tied to a specific weapon and he could switch to a weapon without it it'd be really bad for him too.

Vergil is basically all offense. Super hardcore mode. Heavily nerfed defence.
    Preferred dmc3 version. The summoned sword thing is alright as an option, but replacing his entire system with it outside of devil trigger is incredibly aggravating. I loved teleporting in place or backwards just out of reach then unleashing a judgement cut.

I too really liked the DMC3 version where you could just lol teleport. I abused that to no end.

But it's also probably why they decided to shift it.

And if you want to badass teleport managing DT shifts to do it defensively isn't that bad.

Yeah don't try to wing this as a good thing. They done fucked up bad.
    Vergil's teleport was short ranged and you had to be precise.
    Dante can freely dash as much as he likes and it has much greater utility.
    The problem is enemy attacks are randomised. I've had berial do his aoe twice in quick succession. If I've avoided the first with dt, then dropped out of dt and don't have any available...
    It's made worse because vergil auto teleports to berials head, so if you are constantly teleport cancelling to berials head, you have to drop to the ground first to get out of the aoe or jump off his head away from him, neither of which get you away from him in time, especially since vergil can't double jump to cover more ground.
    It isn't a matter of management. It's a matter of "sometimes it's not your fault".
    In a game series with this pedigree, that's lazy.

He's still really strong. He could just be so much more. This series has never been about balancing. It's always been about player control and absurd levels of power limited only by player skill. They just lifted the summoned sword thing from DmC without considering that even in DmC he could still do his old abilities.

Plus you can't even teleport up helm breaker over and over to replicate his dmc3 boss attacks. That's practically a crime.

oh and anyone who wants to upgrade your proud souls quick, go to legendary dark knight level 2 and repeat it over and over. Don't worry if you die, or if you keep dying on berial or anything like that. You'll get 10k on a bad run and 25k+ on a good run. And enough red orbs to buy all your buyable life and dt orbs, which carry over to all characters. I've got all vergils shit now.
    You can also refund proud souls on one character and use them to buy skills in another. So I nigh instantly had a maxed out lady.

Oh man, I 100% wasn't trying to spin that change as a good thing.

I got my shit rocked on Belial a few times because I tried to relentlessly either trick down which didn't work in normal form, or use-iframes from the port to his head which also didn't work.

But to me it's just different. It's a change for the worse defensivly of course, not being able to "BEGONE!" Helmsplitter boss spam is dissapointing as heck.

But both those changes pale in comparison to not being able to triple swag quickdraw. HOW I SHALL MISS THEE.

But overall I like the changes and additions made offensivly, his new combos are swag as FUCK.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    He's a bit easy against normal mobs once you get going. I had to work a hell of a lot more against normal mobs in DMC3.
    I have accidentally double judgement cut twice now. Once in DT, once without. I have absolutely no idea how and it was so fast I couldn't tell if I'd accidentally somehow did a teleport cancel in the middle. Shadow play doesn't seem to be able to record this game, so I can't hit the button and review the footage. Annoying.
    No matter what, I can't replicate it in open air. It wasn't even related to the just frame. Once was just frame, once was not.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    He's a bit easy against normal mobs once you get going. I had to work a hell of a lot more against normal mobs in DMC3.
    I have accidentally double judgement cut twice now. Once in DT, once without. I have absolutely no idea how and it was so fast I couldn't tell if I'd accidentally somehow did a teleport cancel in the middle. Shadow play doesn't seem to be able to record this game, so I can't hit the button and review the footage. Annoying.
    No matter what, I can't replicate it in open air. It wasn't even related to the just frame. Once was just frame, once was not.

Like, howso, Double Just-frame and Double normal?

Or Just frame to normal and normal to just-frame?

And what string did this occur in?

WE HAVE TO UNLOCK THE TECH.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Double normal and double just frame.
    I honestly just don't know how I did it man. I'm playing LDK first time so there's a million billion things on the screen at any given time, I'm teleporting all over the place, and twice I swear I saw him double judgement cut. I can't remember the circumstances.
    It's entirely possible that in both circumstances I somehow did a normal strike to judgement cut and just didn't see it due to the chaos.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I've finally beaten Bloody Palace without using super mode! Did it with Nero.

I'm not particularly good at the Dante fight and almost lost on the very last stage.

Also almost got killed by a Blitz in one of the later stage. It had grabbed me with it's self destruct move, it was going to kill me, and only halfway through it did I get devil trigger to break out.

Peewi wrote: »
    I've finally beaten Bloody Palace without using super mode! Did it with Nero.

I'm not particularly good at the Dante fight and almost lost on the very last stage.

Also almost got killed by a Blitz in one of the later stage. It had grabbed me with it's self destruct move, it was going to kill me, and only halfway through it did I get devil trigger to break out.

Woo. Nero win represent!

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Any good Lady combos out yet?

edited July 2015
    Shoot them.
    Now shoot them again with a different gun.
    Throw bombs.
    Lady wins.

Morninglord on
    Judgement cut end is ridiculous.

I just did a five revolution streak with nero.
    He just kept going.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Blah, bad session today. Got repeatedly whooped by LDK Angelo Credo as Vergil, so I went into Bloody Palace as Lady to unwind... and got beat by Angelo Credo. Wrapped up the session by attempting LDK Angelo Credo again as Vergil and yep, still kicked my ass.

Oh brilliant
    edited July 2015
    Hahaha

So I was doing the second echidna fight with vergil. She's nearly dead so I decide to do Judgement Cut End to finish her. As I am waiting for the bar to charge she goes "Witness my power!" just as my concentration bar maxes.
    I immediately JCE and Vergil replies "My power shall be overwhelming!" and kills her.

Zing!

Morninglord on
    edited July 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEu5xB__uVM

Right so this guy figured out that multiple judgement cut.
    It's clearly a complete and total glitch and isn't intended. Which is a shame.
    But it is fairly cool though.

It can happen with normal vergil too but he hasn't worked that out yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHMTvwi5lzw

But this other guy on my subscribe list didn't teleport to do his second cut. So it seems you can do it without a teleport. That's sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO0GBV7LDUM

A cool trick with weapon charges involving switching weapons.

Random vergil tricks.

His DT acts as a parry/knockdown effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bUPJGQ_Fbc

Finally a sexy combo video from donguri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZREyEP2rus

Morninglord on
    More. :P

edited July 2015
    I figured out the timing of the glitch version. However people are doing the non glitch non teleport version I have no idea.
    The charge weapon switching is really easy though.

Of course when I say I figured out the timing I do not actually mean I can do it consistently.

Morninglord on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So I played up to first boss as Lady after getting the Mercury as Virgil and getting to the jungle as Nero.

Actually got my first SSS-rank as Lady in the final "room" fight before the boss and cleared the boss with the LB grenade bomb.

Also managed to finish the frost toad off without taking a single hit as Nero but I think I can do better than the A rank I got...

newSig.jpg
    Bael the Frost Toad is super weird as the new characters. The behaviour of his nymphs in the intro just flat out seems to bug when confronted with Lady or Vergil; they don't attack, they don't take damage, they just flail around for a random amount of time until the boss shows up.

This doesn't happen later on in the fight, where you can wait a few secs and provoke an attack from em. Just in the intro, and not every time! Sometimes I can make them pull up towards the ceiling by running away, and then I can hit em with Charge Shots or Blistering Swords or something (this doesn't cause Bael to appear, but it does let me get some hits in...)

Oh brilliant
    edited July 2015
    You are doing something wrong with Vergil. He can obliterate them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWXShD8ouU4

Morninglord on
    Mmmmaybe just the lower difficulties? I've only done Vergil on LDK (which is SOS, technically?) and yeah, can not do anything to the Rusalka in that opening phase. They will literally never attack, and thus can never be attacked.

Oh brilliant
    edited July 2015
    Vergil's Judgement cut will always hit. They cannot dodge it. Never seen it not connect..
    Works on LDK and SoS. Haven't unlocked DMD yet, doubt it'll be different. Works on Devil Hunter too.

Practice that judgement cut.

What I'm trying to say is that your experience and my experience in no way match. You say "It works like this" and its an immediate Bzzzt error because in my experience, they do and they can be attacked.

edit: Just checked a DMD vid and he only has to do yamato stinger to hit them.
    What happens is they dodge, but the judgement cut hits multiple times, so they can't dodge it and just get trapped. You don't have to wait for them to attack to hit them. There are certain moves that will connect with them even if they try to dodge.
    Nero can even Buster them and drag Bael out of his hiding spot if he's done enough damage to stun them. I did enough to stun them on Devil Hunter and SoS with Vergil.

I haven't tried with Lady, but have you tried twosome time or the rocket launcher multiple missile ability that locks on? The longer you lock on for, the more homing missiles get fired. Against a single target they get hit by all of them.
    See if they can dodge that.

edit: Just saw someone reliably hitting with Lady's helm breaker which is multiple hit, and her "stinger".
    I remember being able to hit them with million stab and the start of dance macabre with dante.
    Possibly Vergil's Round trip and Million stab would hit them too.
    Kind of feeling a pattern here. Multiple hit skills. Try your characters.

edit2: Come to think of it mashing skills that hit multiple times have always ignored defenses in these games. Million stab and dance macabre can stunlock a golden knight. In DMC3 the mashing moves could stunlock Devil Triggered enemies regardless of the number of hits they had taken.
    Which is why the guitar was so unexpectedly powerful. It had a room wide mashing aoe and you could cancel its normally long recovery if you broke it early.

Morninglord on
    Oh it's not every time. I had to repeat it to go for the S Rank, and second time around I could land hits no problem. It was the first time (and when I got to it in Bloody Palace actually...) that it didn't work. And only the first phase of the fight - I never have any trouble when he drops them again later on. :P

Oh brilliant
    edited July 2015
    Try swapping targets. I have had occasions where I can't hit with anything except judgement cut, but swapping targets seems to help.
    Maybe, like, one of them is meant to be the bait or something.

I honestly have never really understood those little fuckers I've always just abused whatever hits them.

In Bloody Palace with Dante I am a cheeky bastard and let them grab me, instantly unfreeze with DT, dodge the chomp and hit him with a Distorted Real Impact before he can jump away.

If you land this fast enough he gets knocked down and the phase is cancelled.
    It makes me lol.

That's not a bait and switch.
    This is a bait and switch.

Morninglord on
    I think what helped click for Lady play was that she's a variation of Gunslinger.
    I was still trying to melee with her.

newSig.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Just bought the game. I'm boring cause the first person I wanted to play as was Nero even though I've already played 4.

Dragkonias wrote: »
    Just bought the game. I'm boring cause the first person I wanted to play as was Nero even though I've already played 4.

You're not boring, you just want to have the other characters beefed up before you play them :smile:

newSig.jpg
    Trying to do the Down A Notch trophy

Fuck Dante and his stupid fucking shotgun. Sparda, take the wheel.

Oh brilliant
    WHOO I did it as soon as I started skyping Lady Raven! Power of love!

Also knocked out One Winged Devil for SSSranking Angelo Credo. :D

Only got Bael (weird I didn't get this one naturally yet...) and the Saviour left. I am sure I've beaten the Saviour with an SSS rank. It's hard not to. Is the trophy actually for beating Sanctus?

Oh brilliant
    edited July 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsk5FPhibYI

0:34 onwards watch the health bar.

How to do it

trap a sword in between vergil and the window and do DT lunar phase.

edit:

Sweet video of no damage Vergil vs DMD Credo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO4YhM-RUrs

Morninglord on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    WHOO I did it as soon as I started skyping Lady Raven! Power of love!

Also knocked out One Winged Devil for SSSranking Angelo Credo. :D

Only got Bael (weird I didn't get this one naturally yet...) and the Saviour left. I am sure I've beaten the Saviour with an SSS rank. It's hard not to. Is the trophy actually for beating Sanctus?

It's actually for Sanctus. I don't know if either fight counts, but I got it on mission 20.

https://youtu.be/LULnJFz117M

Kind of can't believe you can do this to berial so easily.
    I don't think this summoned sword ability should work on bosses....

edited July 2015
    Okay now the real Vergil videos are starting to pop up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3gZCuMBR2U

DMD Dante in 40 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElRqZFA2fkU

Morninglord on
    Every now and again I come across a video so amazing I simply can't parse it.

This is one of those times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThuCKjOBirM

2:36

Just.

What the fuck.

I'm assuming the timing for that is similar to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtuA5we0RZU

edited July 2015
    Not exactly. Royal guard perfect blocks have a window of i-frames that will auto block new attacks that occur within those frames without requiring another manual input, so oddly enough the biggest flurry of simultaneous parries in the middle would have been actually easier.
    But that sequence had two or three asynchronous gaps that would have gotten him hit and then he royal released at the end.

asjdf;alskjdf;laskjdf

That streetfighter video is much more impressive because he just fucking did it (tm) in the finals in the final round of a massive tournament, whereas this guy just didn't upload all the times he screwed up learning how to do this. That parry requires just frames for every kick. With royal guard blocking multiple attacks like that is all about knowing how long that window of i frames is, so you only block the ones you need to block.
    With royal guard it's the odd timings that screw you up.

Morninglord on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah that's cool and all, but the video above that one just looks so much cooler

edited July 2015
    The bit that gets me about the daigo vid is that he shouted LETS GO JUSTIN before he did it.
    Imagine how embarrassing it would have been if he screwed it up. :)

But yeah the DMC3 vid looks cooler, as it should, since that's what the games designed for after all.

Morninglord on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    That's just nonsense.
    The good kind mind you.
    But yeah that's clearly unintended and glitchy. If they meant it to happen they'd allow you to do it with IJC, but it only works with standard JC. He wouldn't do the weird float either.
    Not saying I don't plan to learn it properly! :P

Morninglord on