As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX weekend worship gathering

nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited August 2015 in PAX West
UPDATE!

We finally have a location secured. We will be meeting at the Italian Classroom at 9 am on Sunday. It's a 16 minute walk according to Google Maps. Please let me know ahead of time if you need transportation assistance so that I can plan on driving in that day.

The space is next to the Two Bells Tavern. Someone from the tavern will be meeting me there at 9 to let me in; it looks like the door to the classroom is on the street next to the tavern. Plan on us actually starting by about ten or fifteen after the hour once we get settled, and we'll go for roughly an hour.

We have some other possibilities for location for next year that I'll tell you about on Sunday. Safe travels, and see you Sunday!

/update

Hi all, for those who don't know me, I am also known as Avidguru from the multi-gaming guild MOG Nation and cohost of the Wildcast podcast. I am a Christian and a gamer; both of these things are an important part of who I am. I have been moved lately to intermix them a bit more.

I would like to start a tradition of gathering with other PAX attendees to have a time of fellowship and worship on Sunday morning. I am not big on modern Christian music, so I am thinking a couple of hymns, some time in prayer, and then some discussion about what being a Christian gamer means. I am not a pastor (in fact, I'm scared silly about doing this!), so this will be less of a sermon and more of an open discussion.

I would like to invite anyone of any religion (or interest in) to this gathering. Prayers and blessings from several languages and traditions would be really cool. All I ask of everyone attending is respect for everyone else there. This will not be a place for argument or lambasting; if you wish to have a more contentious discussion, let's do that at another time.

This thread is to find out the level of interest so that I can arrange for an appropriate space and time. Let me know either in this thread or by PM if you are interested!

Please do not post in this thread to discuss or argue about various religions, or to make derogatory comments. If you want to have a discussion about something in that vein, feel free to PM me and we can do it that way or meet up sometime.

God's peace be with you,

Nixter/Avidguru

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
nixter on

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    This is a great idea. My husband and I would be interested in attending.

• Options
    MordecaiSixerMordecaiSixer Registered User regular
    I'm not religious in any sense but I REALLY like this idea. This is what the cool part of PAX is to me. People from different parts of the world sharing common interests (games, comics, etc.) and being able to just meet up and have a fun time or share some thoughts.

Don't be nervous about this, just keep the same mentality you have right now and your idea will be a huge success. Hope y'all have a good time!

• Options
    flare21amgflare21amg Registered User regular
    My husband and I would also be interested. This is such a cool idea.

• Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    What time on Sunday morning? I imagine we could find something close and do it around 9 or so before it opens.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    I was thinking 8:30 or 9, but that's not set in stone until we find a spot. So far we have 6; I think we should plan for 30-40 to be on the safe side. I haven't started investigating spaces yet, so suggestions are certainly welcome.

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    Have you ever heard of Game Church? You might want to get in touch with them or check them out. They're at PAX almost every year with a booth. Their slogan: "Jesus loves gamers". I check them out every year.

As for me, I'd be interested. I'm a Christian and my faith is very important to me. The only issue is that the people I go with every year would undoubtedly not be interested so I would have to sneak away somehow.

xg81x9uysw01.png
  • Options
    I did run into the Game Church guys last time I went to Rose City CC. That's a good idea to contact them.

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    Deaths CrowbarDeaths Crowbar That guy that does the Things "East Bound and Down" AKA TexarkanaRegistered User regular
    Im considering coming I was asked last minute to come so I can help with a booth so I am not sure when I will be working the booth and whether ill be available much Sunday to worship.

On a sidenote what kind of hymns all yall used to? It'd be nice to know what hymns people are comfortable with.

Here are just a few I know

A Mighty Fortress
    Abide with me: fast falls the eventide
    Alas, and Did My Savior Bleed
    All Creatures of our God and King
    All People That on Earth Do Dwell
    All Things Bright and Beautiful
    Amazing grace!
    Be Thou My Vision
    Blessed Assurance
    Break Thou the Bread of Life
    Christ the Lord is risen today
    Come, Christians, Join to Sing
    Come, Thou Almighty King
    Come, Thou Fount
    Crown Him with Many Crowns
    Fairest Lord Jesus
    For all the Saints, who from their labor rest
    For the Beauty of the Earth
    Great Is Thy Faithfulness
    Hail to the Lord's Anointed
    Holy, Holy, Holy!
    How Great Thou Art
    How firm a foundation
    I Love to Tell the Story
    I sing th'almighty power of God
    Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise
    Jesus Christ is Risen Today
    Jesus Shall Reign Where'er the Sun
    Lead on, O King Eternal
    Leaning on the everlasting arms
    Let All Things Now Living
    Love Divine, All Loves Excelling ( Tune: Hyfrydol)
    (Up from the grave He Arose) Low in the Grave He Lay
    My Faith Looks Up to Thee
    Now Thank We All Our God
    O For a Thousand Tongues
    O God, Our Help in Ages Past
    O Worship the King all glorious above
    O sacred head now wounded
    Onward, Christian Soldiers
    Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
    Rejoice, the Lord is King!
    Shall We Gather at the River?
    Softly and Tenderly Jesus Is Calling
    Take My Life, and Let It Be
    The Church's one foundation
    The King of Love My Shepherd Is
    The Lord's My Shepherd
    Trust and Obey
    Were You There
    What Wondrous Love Is This
    What a Friend We Have in Jesus
    When I survey the wondrous cross

Along with that if anyone knows "The Son of God Goes Forth to War" I love that one here is what it sounds like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpeQj_835Ow

• Options
    byakuenbyakuen Somewhere in SeattleRegistered User regular
    That's an awesome idea.
    Would join, but will be heading to our local church before coming to the WSCC.

♥ Properly Pleased Participant of Past PAX PrimeWest: '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Before I noticed they were in alphabetical order, my thought was, "How do I know @Deaths Crowbar is a Lutheran? The first hymn he lists is 'A Mighty Fortress.'"

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Deaths CrowbarDeaths Crowbar That guy that does the Things "East Bound and Down" AKA TexarkanaRegistered User regular
    WuShock wrote: »
    Before I noticed they were in alphabetical order, my thought was, "How do I know @Deaths Crowbar is a Lutheran? The first hymn he lists is 'A Mighty Fortress.'"

Lol eh you werent far off. Im Reformed Presbyterian part of the CREC. I pulled these from the popular hymns list on Hymnary.

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    WuShock wrote: »

Lol eh you werent far off. Im Reformed Presbyterian part of the CREC. I pulled these from the popular hymns list on Hymnary.

The way you know for sure is if he/she arranges coffee and cookies for after.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    Hey folks! I've been pretty busy IRL the last little bit, but I come back into town Tues night, and I will be putting a lot of effort into finding our locale starting Wednesday. Anyone who has any resources to help out, please let me know via PM.

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    Im considering coming I was asked last minute to come so I can help with a booth so I am not sure when I will be working the booth and whether ill be available much Sunday to worship.

On a sidenote what kind of hymns all yall used to? It'd be nice to know what hymns people are comfortable with.

<snip>

Dang, that's quite a list. Are you offering to play guitar? :)

My wife did a nice arrangement of How Great Thou Art on her viola, but she won't be with us.

I'll worry more about hymn choice after we get a place & time set.

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    POOPonYOUPOOPonYOU Registered User new member
    This is something that my 17 year old son will definitely like to do. I'll make sure I keep him updated with whatever arrangements are made.

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    I'll plan on coming to this Sunday morning. One possible location suggestion, 4th floor WSCC, behind the planters, has a nice little area with some chairs. A number of years ago a few people had a small worship service there for Sakuracon on a Sunday morning. (Dunno if that'll actually work in this case, but it is a public section of the convention center, so we should be able to get in.)

• Options
    Interesting thought shdwcaster. Maybe we'll keep that as a backup plan. Working on finding other possibilities.

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    nixter wrote: »

<snip>

Dang, that's quite a list. Are you offering to play guitar? :)

My wife did a nice arrangement of How Great Thou Art on her viola, but she won't be with us.

I'll worry more about hymn choice after we get a place & time set.

Unfortunately, my brother has most of the musical talent. I cant play guitar or anything but if I am able I am willing to help lead some hymns.

• Options
    Update for y'all - still working on a venue. I've got a few irons in the fire, but I found this place:

http://www.evenues.com/meeting-space/the-italian-classroom-Seattle/967#

It's about a fifteen minute walk, but we could arrange transportation for those who want/need it. Does this seem too far away to you guys?

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    Hey guys, another update. I'm talking to a church within easy walking distance. Keep your fingers crossed, and a little prayer wouldn't hurt!

If we get a space at the church, I'm aiming for an 8:30 start time.

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    Edited the OP. We have a place to meet!

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Glad you got it all worked out, see you Sunday morning.

• Options
    silverback1138silverback1138 Registered User regular
    Well my friends and I that go to the same local church are on our annual PAX hangout and I'll see if I can get everyone to show up as well. Glad to see fellow believers in Christ wanting to do this.

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Data Center Operations Systems Engineer Silicon Valley, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'm Christian as well and would love to go feel free to message me it would be great to meet fellow believers of Christ

Dakinggamer87 on
    My Game Collection
    Dakinggamer's Paradise

PAX Prime 2015 - hotel room [] 4 day badge [√]
  • Options
    I am here! Let me know if you need help with ditections.

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Data Center Operations Systems Engineer Silicon Valley, CARegistered User regular
    Great to meet fellow believers in Christ :)

Keep in contact all

My Game Collection
    Dakinggamer's Paradise

PAX Prime 2015 - hotel room [] 4 day badge [√]