As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2015 Cosplay

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Can confirm the speed- I was at East, carrying 2 plastic Walther P99s, they took them, looked at them to make sure they couldn't shoot anything/cause harm (Easy, since they had no working slides and were made of cheap plastic), zip-tied them and I was on my way....explaining things to the bag check guys (BCEC security employees) was trickier, and there's no bag check at Prime.

Translation: take the 60 seconds to get them checked.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • zepallicazepallica Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Got all my majors done, now just some detail work! 30 days, super excited! chx0pxuhcvxd.jpg

• FiertheaFierthea Vancouver, BCRegistered User new member
    My cosplay trio will be rocking our armoured Pokemon on Saturday, and MKX characters on Sunday.
    I'm Charizard!
    imgur.com/a/VtfUj

• laurentheflutelaurentheflute Leader of The Returners AustinRegistered User regular
    Probably generic FF white mage again, unless I feel particularly inspired to go as Paula from EarthBound (which I'm playing for the very first time right now and totally falling in love with). Looking forward to seeing all of you there!

I got self-conscious about having a self-promotional signature. Now I don't have one anymore. HI, I'M LAUREN, I PLAY MUSIC AND VIDEO GAMES
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Saturday is costumeing day for me, gonna be painting my 3d printed pipboy, sewing the vault suit and making a whole load of nuka cola caps. Looong day, but it should go great! I'll post some photos after!

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
    zisvoi750u44.jpg

HLRpxno.png
  • tehJTKtehJTK Registered User new member
    Anybody else planning on cosplaying from Life is Strange? I went as Max to PAX East earlier this year and wouldn't mind getting a couple of photos with other characters from the games!

I'm also probably going to cosplay as Pearl from Steven Universe for one day (not exactly video game related, but I freaking love her character) and May from Pokemon: ORAS.

• moultonlavamoultonlava Moscow,IDRegistered User new member
    Yea I'll be dressing up as Spider-Man one of th days. I glued on the grey webbing too.

• CaesareaCaesarea Registered User new member
    Definitely Order of the Banana Soraka.
    However, I'm also considering Coco Bandicoot (relatively humanoid, though) and Luna from Virtue's Last Reward. Thoughts? :)

• cnepoycnepoy Registered User new member
    Rowwie wrote: »
    cnepoy wrote: »
    Currently I am leaning towards PAX makeup (unrelated to PAX prime. weird that it's the same acronym). I mostly got the idea from this review.

I need to try it out, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them and I could try a couple options. It needs to be makeup that can cover my entire body for the 4 days of PAX (reapplying some to clean it up a bit in the mornings).

PAX will work. Most people will mix 1:1 ProsAide and acrylic paint but I generally find it's better to use a little more ProsAide... Are you planning to paint ALL of your exposed skin or just the parts that need contouring and effects? Get some decent brushes and be prepared to clean them immediately after your application. Hopefully you're travelling with one or more people who can help you with the painting process. I'd suggest bringing along a piece of fabric (like some flannel or something soft like that that won't leave marks or grain in the paint) to sleep on just in case your PAX comes off on the nice white hotel sheets... especially if you're an active sleeper.

Another option, if you're just looking at contouring and some painted effects is alcohol based paint, there are a few varieties. It's activated with alcohol (the kind from the drug store, not your Grey Goose, lol) so it won't sweat off or get rubbed around.
    Still... the nice thing about PAX is that it can be mixed with cab-o-sil to make bondo which makes it more of a 3D material and it can be put in a plastic syringe and extruded into shapes.
    If you have the time and know how (or the time to watch Youtube videos) you can make silicone molds for the 3D effects you need, put the bondo in the mold, put the mold in the freezer for a while, and out comes a set and ready to use prosthesis that will seamlessly adhere to your skin and can be painted. It'll stay until it's removed.

I just recommended ProsAide to another cosplayer as an adhesive and now I feel like some sort of company rep but I'm just a make up artist and ProsAide is a good product.

Thanks a lot for the advice! Fortunately for me, I live in Seattle, so I don't have to worry about the hotels, but I am going to have to bus downtown (I would choose a bus over a car in this case, because I can stand on a bus and my costume isn't really made for sitting).

I am planning on covering ALL of my exposed skin. I was actually thinking of putting the PAX paint on before the costume to ensure that there are absolutely no visible signs of bare skin. I have a roommate who is an art major who is doing the makeup for me. I have tested a portion of it and I think it should work quite well.

You've gotten me really interested in this "bondo." Kratos does have a scar on his face that I was thinking about possibly attempting, but I may not still.

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    tehJTK wrote: »
    I'm also probably going to cosplay as Pearl from Steven Universe for one day (not exactly video game related, but I freaking love her character) and May from Pokemon: ORAS.

Hey, technically Pearl (and the rest) were in Attack the Light, and Cartoon Network/Adult Swim has had a booth every year I can remember, so I wouldn't sweat it!

I'll actually be going as Amethyst at least one day, since it's my most recent cosplay and I'm doing some improvements on it. I just ordered some tights from WeLoveColors the other day and am going to be testing out leg tights and arm socks instead of the pain that was full body paint. I'm also working on her whip so I'll have a prop. It'll be interesting to see how many SU cosplayers will be at a non-cartoon/anime convention versus how many there were at Sakuracon.

I may do some touch-ups on some of my other older cosplays as well, since I ended up not having the money to make anything truly new. I do have a TF2 female Medic I gathered but never wore I could test out, there's always a healthy number of TF2 cosplayers around.

• IrishAmericanEngineerIrishAmericanEngineer Registered User new member
    Can't wait to see everyone in a few weeks! Look out for Johnny Cage!

• ScarletHarlotScarletHarlot Registered User new member
    kaZombie wrote: »
    Me and my group plan on having all dragon age cosplays for 2 days. One day will be our characters, I have sera, and then we have a dorian, cassandra, and blackwall. Another day we plan on wearing halamshiral outfits as our characters.

I am contemplating doing some N7 armor but that isn't 100% yet

And then most likely a burial at sea elizabeth

Hey I'll also be doing Dragon Age cosplay. I'm bringing my Cullen costume. Has there been a big Dragon Age meet up planned? Which days are you and your friends doing Dragon Age?

I'll be bringing two costumes this year (a third if I can wing it).

1. Cullen from Dragon Age Inquisition
    2. A Daughter from Daughters of Eyrewood

When do we know when group meet up times have been decided?

• BullBull Registered User regular
    is there going to be a contest this year?

• neo_blade01neo_blade01 Registered User regular
    It's taken me some time, but here he is:

AIDEN PEARCE!!! (Still hoping to maybe get a group going)
    1amit92e27tk.jpg

• TabbyKatTabbyKat Registered User regular
    Almost done putting together my first con cosplay which is a new take on team rocket. Had a miniature meltdown the other day when I realized that my pants and jacket weren't the same shade of white. Thankfully new pants were obtained at I'm two stitching of Rs away from being complete!

• DarkAliceNiteDarkAliceNite Registered User regular
    I've never been to an event like this before, and thought it would be fun. Planning to go as fem. Ciel Phantomhive and am mad excited!

Bull wrote: »
    is there going to be a contest this year?
    As far as I know PAX has never had their own official cosplay contest. Some of the developers/companies that attend will host their own though, or may host one at their party after expo hall hours (like Poropalooza for LoL). I would check with the developer of whatever game you're cosplaying from to see if they're hosting anything.

• DonovanKreedDonovanKreed Registered User regular
    I'll be cosplaying as Delsin Rowe from Infamous Second Son and my friend will be cosplaying as Eugene from the same game, scope us out.

• ArinaArenaArinaArena Registered User new member
    I'll be going as fem!hawke in her finery robes from Dragon Age 2 and doing a hipster Lavellan inquisitor from DA:I.
    Are there any dragon age meet ups by chance? If not, I feel like there's a good number of us who could do that or at least do a quick group picture at the bioware panel.
    Can't wait to see everyone!

ArinaArena wrote: »
    I'll be going as fem!hawke in her finery robes from Dragon Age 2 and doing a hipster Lavellan inquisitor from DA:I.
    Are there any dragon age meet ups by chance? If not, I feel like there's a good number of us who could do that or at least do a quick group picture at the bioware panel.
    Can't wait to see everyone!

Since the Dragon Age panel is on Saturday there should be a meetup then. Do we need someone to organize it?

• elarcadiaelarcadia Registered User new member
    I am making my first cosplay costume for PAX Prime this year (my first convention as well!) and I am wondering if there is a "main" day out of the four days where people wear their costumes. I only plan on wearing the costume one day, and am just curious if there is a better day to wear it vs. another. Any ideas?

• forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    elarcadia wrote: »
    I am making my first cosplay costume for PAX Prime this year (my first convention as well!) and I am wondering if there is a "main" day out of the four days where people wear their costumes. I only plan on wearing the costume one day, and am just curious if there is a better day to wear it vs. another. Any ideas?

There are cosplayers out there every day of the convention. You will not be out of place no matter which day you choose.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • elarcadiaelarcadia Registered User new member

There are cosplayers out there every day of the convention. You will not be out of place no matter which day you choose.
    Awesome thanks! I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some big gathering or what not. I can't wait! Happy PAX everyone!

• taxortaxor Registered User regular
    Finally able to talk about mine. (Now that stressing over pieces being on time is past). The (nameless) main character from Sunset Overdrive. Shirt is finished, pants should be in the mail today, and friend is doing the front jacket patches. All thats left is distressing the clothing and shaving half of my head lol.

Awesome thanks! I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some big gathering or what not. I can't wait! Happy PAX everyone!
    While there's not really a main cosplay day like you'll see with anime conventions, most of the big cosplays will be on the first day or two, when the most people are there. You won't see as many cosplayers on the last day due to exhaustion and there just being less attendees.

So while there's not any one official meet-up or parade, depending on what you're cosplaying there may actually be a group organizing to meet-up on a particular day for group pictures. If you're doing something semi-mainstream (or even not) you may want to search cosplay websites or Facebook to see if any fans are organizing their own event. I believe Mass Effect always has a dedicated group, and Dragon Age may, too, among others.

• PerestroikaPerestroika Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    taxor wrote: »
    Finally able to talk about mine. (Now that stressing over pieces being on time is past). The (nameless) main character from Sunset Overdrive. Shirt is finished, pants should be in the mail today, and friend is doing the front jacket patches. All thats left is distressing the clothing and shaving half of my head lol.

There will be a group of Sunset City Heroes (about 6) along with a huge Mascot Fizzie complete with soundboard, speakers and LEDs. Look for us on Saturday! We'll be playing music from the game on portable speakers!

Perestroika on
    It's just me, a block of dirt, and a cavern full of danger.
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '12, '13, '14
    Prime 2015 Cosplay: Hilda, Female Sunset City Hero, Squirtle Squad url="http://www.facebook.com/steleus"]X[/url
  • taxortaxor Registered User regular
    taxor wrote: »

There will be a group of Sunset City Heroes (about 6) along with a huge Mascot Fizzie complete with soundboard, speakers and LEDs. Look for us on Saturday! We'll be playing music from the game on portable speakers!

Awesome! The plan is to be in costume all weekend myself. But, I will definitely keep an eye out for the group on Saturday. :)

• AviendhaAviendha Registered User regular
    Super excited that I actually got both of my costumes done in time!!! I will be doing a beat-up version of classic Tomb Raider on Friday and Tomb Raider from the 2013 reboot on Saturday. I procrastinated for so long I thought for sure it wouldn't happen. I can't wait to see everyone's amazing cosplay. I will be doing interviews of other cosplayers on Friday and Saturday, so if you see Tomb Raider with a mic and camera, come talk to me about your craft.

w8np9c7kfh3t.jpg
    Got my pipboy done! My sister sent me a old iPhone, and I think it looks pretty good! My Armored vault 77 suit is looking pretty good, just need to make the puppet to complete it!

HLRpxno.png
  • InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    Going to try a Kenny Powers look this year... after 5 years of Carl, how does one level up? (Then again, "Don't be a dick"... so yeah, not trying too hard for a true 'in character' on this one.)

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    w8np9c7kfh3t.jpg
    Got my pipboy done! My sister sent me a old iPhone, and I think it looks pretty good! My Armored vault 77 suit is looking pretty good, just need to make the puppet to complete it!

That looks awesome! I do have a tiny suggestion of putting some black tape or a small black circular sticker over the home button just so that white box doesn't catch people's eyes.

In other news, all of my costume parts are in now! I just have to get it all sewed up and weathered before I jump on the plane on Monday. >_>

MY BODY IS READY FOR CRAFTING HELL WEEK

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Little behind due to spinal issues but I got two new moogles done for my friend and I. Mine got ruined last summer by blue jeans in the wash and since it has been a favorite since 2009, we will now have moogle version 2. I'm almost done with my gaige from borderlands. I have a few days left to finish and then off to make yummy cookies for cookie brigade.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've sewn up the few openings I had left in my kigurumi (where it was too thick for the machine to get), fixed up my Vaporeon tail so it shouldn't drag as much, and have prepped everything for Amethyst and finished her whip. The only thing I have left to do now is wait for those tights I ordered to come in. They already came in a week ago, but I had to exchange them for a lighter color. Paid $30 for shipping and now I get to stress if they'll arrive in enough time for me to modify them. :x

I may play around with Amethyst's wig since it's still a mess from when I mistakenly back-brushed the entire thing instead of just the roots since I have no experience styling hair/wigs, and maybe experiment with her makeup some more, but those are non-necessities for me.

• arcadiankaiarcadiankai Registered User new member
    Hi! Is anyone else doing a MTG costume? Its my first Pax cosplaying ( Narset Transcendent) and while I know Ill be doing it both Sat and Monday (for the panels) if there are meet ups I may do it other days too. Sooo anyone?

• RowwieRowwie CanadaRegistered User regular
    I faced major delays in cosplay progress and now it'll be some sleepless nights until my party leaves for Seattle for sure.
    I ordered two wigs for my Dream Sequence Bee cosplay, I had planned to take one apart and sew the weft into the other wig to get more volume but the company I ordered from sent two entirely different wigs that don't even look like what I thought I was buying so... we'll see how it turns out. The wigs are also child size, though the listing said adult, so both will need to be entirely deconstructed and rebuilt onto a new, custom cap. Ugh.

Prime 2011- Vintage Nintendo
    Prime 2012- Melisandre (GoT)
    Prime 2013- Regular nerd attire
    Prime 2014- Aurin Esper from WIldstar + Vintage Chell
    Prime 2015- Splatoon Inkling + Dream Sequence Bee + Aurin Esper + Vintage Chell
    Prime2016- Handmade nerdy dresses (cosplay break)

• FrackAttackFrackAttack Registered User new member
    I'll be going as Scizor. Hoping to see some other Pokemon there! :)

• laurentheflutelaurentheflute Leader of The Returners AustinRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be Paula from Earthbound !!!!!!!!! I commissioned my sister to make me a costume (she's a good cosplayer and I'm a terrible seamstress) and she finished it and it's adorable and I am going to have the BIGGEST BOW IN THE WORLD on my head. Sorry, excited here. I'm making one of my bandmates bring her Ness costume too so we can match.

I got self-conscious about having a self-promotional signature. Now I don't have one anymore. HI, I'M LAUREN, I PLAY MUSIC AND VIDEO GAMES
    edited August 2015
    Armor and bandolier done, just need to dirty it up and put the finishing license plate on the shoulder pad.
    i5e2rs9u2n0q.jpg[/s]

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png