As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Paradox Can Into Space With [Stellaris]

Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys BiohackerRegistered User regular
edited June 2023 in Games and Technology
Paradox Interactive, masters of grand strategy titles including Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, and Hearts of Iron announced a brand-new IP at Gamescom. This time, we're going into space with Stellaris!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxTT258PmNc

Stellaris will feature a traditional symmetric 4X-like start focusing on exploration, but once you expand and meet the other races, the game switches to being less Master of Orion and more... Victoria, actually. Your empire's internals will begin to split into various factions that you can negotiate with. They might change your government or have other designs, and they can even be elected into power or split off to form new independent empires of their own. Diplomacy will advance and mold into something more like Europa Universalis between the different star empires.

And for possibly the first time in a Paradox GSG title, Stellaris will actually feature at least one win condition.

The galaxy and its storyline will both be procedurally generated, even including things like the origin of life in the galaxy. Even the alien races you meet will be different every game, so you never know what you're going to find as you explore the galaxy.

Ship creation is confirmed, though Paradox was careful to note that this is not a war simulator but rather a grand strategy game.

Anyway, check out these awesome screenshots while the long wait for more information begins:

kzflof8vyyg5.jpg

4eu8t8iaa9wh.jpg

tfqmlykwzcn7.jpg

m51ckmizl92r.jpg

More screenshots and full quality versions at the official website

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
Echo on

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Man this game looks so good! I love the focus on early exploration, the randomized nature of the universe and technological progress, the apparently huge customizability of your own race and the possibilities the game seems to present at late game, everything from unleashing the Chaos Gods/Lovecraftian horrors unwittingly on the universe to AI revolutions and more. If half of what they're saying about the game is true it's like everything I've ever wanted out of a grand strategy sci-fi game.

Edit: Here's a thing from Rock-Paper-Shotgun about what they've been told about the game so far

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/06/stellaris-paradox-strategy-game/

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The base concept of this sounds awesome.
    And the Paradox dev studio has been high quality the last few years. Really committed to their products, finding longevity in regular small DLC updates that evolve games over time.
    And the mod community will have a field day with this, with the added bonus that there's no pesky "history" for people to push for, which has resulted in event/setup straightjackets that force the game down a limited path.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Man this game looks so good! I love the focus on early exploration, the randomized nature of the universe and technological progress, the apparently huge customizability of your own race and the possibilities the game seems to present at late game, everything from unleashing the Chaos Gods/Lovecraftian horrors unwittingly on the universe to AI revolutions and more. If half of what they're saying about the game is true it's like everything I've ever wanted out of a grand strategy sci-fi game.

Edit: Here's a thing from Rock-Paper-Shotgun about what they've been told about the game so far

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/06/stellaris-paradox-strategy-game/
    Whoa, that's a lot of information! This looks like the most ambitious Paradox game to date, which is saying a lot. It's amazing what they can do when they aren't trying to painstakingly simulate & model history.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Ahmahgawd yus.

This is a Space Opera Simulator. I'll take twenty.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Im super excited about this.
    Paradox games are always fun and im really liking the idea of every race being random so you aren't always planning your strategy on how to deal with the same ol' superpowers everytime.

Also I can't wait for a game to be derailed by a galaxy wide AI uprising just as the Chaos Gods also invade from the warp.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Ahmahgawd yus.

Wow yeah I didn't think of it in those terms but in a lot of ways it totally is.

My brother also was excited (and I had to agree) about how a lot of the early game stuff seems like "Randomized Star Trek" with all of the emphasis on exploration and scientific discovery and then running into smaller alien races then bigger alien empires.

Overall I love the idea of the whole "procedurally generated backstory you discover thing" cause it seems like you could get anything from uplift series style continual uplifts back to one original race, to Lovecraftian deities, to I dunno "universe is a huge computer simulation"

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Ahmahgawd yus.

Wow yeah I didn't think of it in those terms but in a lot of ways it totally is.

My brother also was excited (and I had to agree) about how a lot of the early game stuff seems like "Randomized Star Trek" with all of the emphasis on exploration and scientific discovery and then running into smaller alien races then bigger alien empires.

Overall I love the idea of the whole "procedurally generated backstory you discover thing" cause it seems like you could get anything from uplift series style continual uplifts back to one original race, to Lovecraftian deities, to I dunno "universe is a huge computer simulation"

In the last scenario, the game ends when a crazed Paradox developer with a pot on his head assaults you in your home.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Ahmahgawd yus.

When your space empire shenanigans stop going to plan and politicians get involved and ancient evils awaken and also your toaster wants to vote? That is good times typically reserved for books. I am so chuffed right now.

Sword of the Stars: Not That Crap One With The 2 In It gave me the best game I recall of this sort when I triggered an AI uprising in an effort to turn the tide of a war I was waging. It worked a little too well and the change of dynamic in the ongoing wars I could see was amazing. If this game succeeds in doing that in different ways, I will be so guddamn happy.

-Hi5, Geth.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    I'm so excited about this. Like, I'm losing it. If that article is accurate... like, I'm really losing it guys. I'm not a big 'hype train' type usually but the idea of CK2 in space is really getting me.

camo_sig2.png
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I too look forward to dealing with warp fiends that burst out of a singularity created by some lesser species' scientific endeavours while a treasonous faction of my military attempts a coup against the god-emperor of known <insert name of species here> space AND while a synthetic AI race springs up in the outer edges of the galaxy with no one quite knowing how to deal with a walking toaster with an apple. Also toss in some local political backstabbing in the foreground of the galaxy-wide chaos and that hippy enclave that's busy uplifting the natives trying to create this 'Federation'.

Space Opera Shenanigans generator. Yes please.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I just noted that the project lead for this is Henrik Fåhraeus, the same bloke from CK2.

All my dicks, every last one.

steam_sig.png
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I just noted that the project lead for this is Henrik Fåhraeus, the same bloke from CK2.

All my dicks, every last one.

Yeap. The pedigree offers a LOT of hope.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how I feel about the horrors from beyond the stars. It's not the kind of thing I always want in my sci-fi.

I mean, sure, sometimes it's fun to tear apart the thin veil of reality, but it's something I'd like to do myself. I'm not sure I'd enjoy the AI suddenly inviting those abominations into the material universe while I'm trying to build the United Federation of Planets.

Then again, sometimes it'd be fun to tool around in the East without the Mongol hordes showing up and wrecking my shit, but the Mongols don't care about my feelings.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'm not sure how I feel about the horrors from beyond the stars. It's not the kind of thing I always want in my sci-fi.

I mean, sure, sometimes it's fun to tear apart the thin veil of reality, but it's something I'd like to do myself. I'm not sure I'd enjoy the AI suddenly inviting those abominations into the material universe while I'm trying to build the United Federation of Planets.

Then again, sometimes it'd be fun to tool around in the East without the Mongol hordes showing up and wrecking my shit, but the Mongols don't care about my feelings.

I would not be at all surprised if the horrors are an optional setting.

This looks awesome by the way! I'm always excited about new paradox games, and I've been looking for a space opera game ever since Sword of the Stars 2 turned out to be an irredeemable mess.

Vic on
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I am so prepared to be entirely unproductive for a week after this comes out

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    Ugh shit I just found out it's scheduled to come out on my birthday. Guys I'm supposed to be a productive adult and I'm genuinely worried that my life will crumble because of this game. It will be my Decapathon VII.

camo_sig2.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    When is this allegedly out? Early 2016?

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Rumor has it as February 16, 2016 from its Steam page that was accidentally opened (and quickly shut back down) before the official announcement.

Fleur de Alys on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Yeah, considering that "February 16 2016" wasn't exactly officially announced as the release date, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that isn't going to be the actual release date.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I hope this is going to be as amazing as I think it can be. Paradox's crew has such a giant vat of ideas. You see all the times on the EU4 forums "We had this idea, we wanted to implement it, it didn't quite work right historically, so we had to tweak it." Lets see what they can do without their hands tied to earth's history.

A game developer over at Paradox says they're supposed to be 7 distinct phenotypes of species (so perhaps like how Distant Worlds does it) maybe like reptilian or something. If the 7 "playable races" are just the 'default' playable races of those phenotypes I'd guess Mammalian isn't likely going to be a phenotype.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    OH MY FUCKING GOD

It also sounds a bit like the Baldur's Gate 2 main menu music and the Distant Worlds opening at various points.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Gonna ask the same question I ask of any paradox game

Can I play as Poland

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    4X? Space? Paradox? Victoria?

To borrow from the Fallout 4 thread...

https://youtu.be/pusZXECS0mM

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »

Can I play as Poland

Well Poland can into space, so.....

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Is this game out yet? No, ok i'll just keep staring at my computer screen till my retina's burn out then

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

Can I play as Poland

If there's default races, and one is humans, I want the backstory to state that Poland took mankind to space. As a direct result of EU etc.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

Can I play as Poland

So today I learned that getting into space as Poland is actually an achievement in two separate games.

Also, Poland can totally into space.

Mr Ray on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Oh God they did it. They made a game that might actually replicate the best parts of Star Trek / Babylon 5 / BSG / whatever.

Not that there's anything wrong with Space War Simulator 4X, but I've been waiting for someone to give this a legit go. I hope it works!

With Love and Courage
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    Is this game out yet? No, ok i'll just keep staring at my computer screen till my retina's burn out then

This. It is severely damaging my ability to play other games right now.

"Oh, I could play this... but it isn't Stellaris so I'm just going to go watch the trailer and read the write-ups. Again."

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    It will be interesting to see if they can pull this off.

It's hard to get people on board with something unexpected happening at the end of a 30 hour game tho.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »

It's hard to get people on board with something unexpected happening at the end of a 30 hour game tho.

Depends on how the game plays. Crusader Kings and EU IV get away with it by making the entire game about unexpected events and reversals. When you take away the "conquer everyone" focus, it allows the game to be about more than a straight line rise to power.

rockrnger wrote: »

I only get mad if the unexpected thing is, "Random event that you could do nothing about causes your empire to burn down in all of 5 minutes. GG,"

Games like Dwarf Fortress make such events sporadic enough that it can get away with it, and also gives you the tools to ensure that you can weather the storm of even big bad spawns. Plus, even the biggest baddies are still kind of squishy and satisfying to fight.

Rimworld made me mad enough with it's bullshit that I took a break from it & haven't really returned since. There are too many retarded, bullet spongey enemies that can spawn and wreck your shit.

So, hopefully this takes lessons from the former and not the latter.

With Love and Courage
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Even a game that sounds like it's trying really hard to do unique and innovative things with the genre can't break free of ship customisation.

Blegh.

Everything else sounds absolutely fantastic. Just still 4x devs, it's okay if your game isn't like all the other 4x's. It'll be fine.

Even a game that sounds like it's trying really hard to do unique and innovative things with the genre can't break free of ship customisation.

Blegh.

Everything else sounds absolutely fantastic. Just still 4x devs, it's okay if your game isn't like all the other 4x's. It'll be fine.

I'll 'Blegh' you!

...Well, in fairness, most 4X spaceship customization tends to be kind of ass. But I like the ones that aren't.

I want ship customization that mimics squad building in the X-Wing miniatures game. Here is your ship, it has base stats and a base cost. You can upgrade it by equipping stuff to these slots if you want, or choose a hero pilot, or just spam out the cheap little vanilla bastards without caring about tinkering with upgrades.

Everybody wins!

Well except Barclay. He never wins. :(

With Love and Courage
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    FWOOOOOP

That was the sound of 300+ hours of my future life vanishing into thin space

• rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    The Ender wrote: »

Blegh.

I'll 'Blegh' you!

...Well, in fairness, most 4X spaceship customization tends to be kind of ass. But I like the ones that aren't.

I want ship customization that mimics squad building in the X-Wing miniatures game. Here is your ship, it has base stats and a base cost. You can upgrade it by equipping stuff to these slots if you want, or choose a hero pilot, or just spam out the cheap little vanilla bastards without caring about tinkering with upgrades.

Everybody wins!

Well except Barclay. He never wins. :(

If they steal east vs west's system for ships I will be happy.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/east-vs-west-developer-diary-4-master-of-the-seas.669564/

rockrnger on

Blegh.

Given how they want technological development to be procedurally generated and not on a tree or knowable path it seems like it would be pretty hard not to have customization, unless your ship classes were also procedurally generated (which would have problems of its own)

This discussion has been closed.