As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Devil May Cry 5 Announced: MY GRANDFATHER IS TOO POWERFUL

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The float was an existing mechanic, I thought. Dante can do it with certain E&I attacks, IIRC.

Oh brilliant
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

Finally, Vergil can realize his true dream of going to space.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    The float was an existing mechanic, I thought. Dante can do it with certain E&I attacks, IIRC.

Vergil does it when he does an air judgement cut.
    The glitch is being able to do it instantly and infinitely without a proper charge, and the clue is that if you do it on the ground it instantly goes into the air, indicating the game glitched out and switched to the air jc.
    The biggest clue for its glitchiness is that unlike every other attack in the game it has no flaw, limitation or cost you have to trade off against. You can just keep on trucking, for free.

It's a really really really obvious glitch. Don't let a factual description of what is going on stop you from enjoying it. It wont stop me. For all that its a glitch, its pretty hard to do in succession. I can only do two so far. I want to learn to do three consistently, to get an approximation of triple cut in DMC3, and then I'll stop.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    I wasn't disputing it was a glitch! Jes saying the floating looks a lot like a different thing that's considered an intentional mechanic.

Oh brilliant
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Yeah its just his normal float on repeat.
    A much more interesting use of the float, which uses the glitch in a really fun way, is inertia JC which causes him to cross over to the other side of them similar to dante's rainstorm cross over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urf4kBjYsYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW3qMRkOz0I

You don't have to use the glitch to do it as you can see, but the fact that you can lets you use this crossover with any weapon using the charge weapon swap.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Speaking of Vergil being ridiculous I did this yesterday and then sat there for a while with a thoughtful expression.
    This fight has never not been a frantic mess for me.

https://youtu.be/UR9l2J82k40

So I actually got this game and then promptly found myself a 100% save because haha fuck grinding all this shit out I just wanna hit things. (Seriously, DMC as a series has always had shit tier level design but god tier combat. If it wasn't for PC versions with 100% saves I'd never play this series as much as I have.)

Trish is so much fun. She meshes with my playstyle really naturally so I've been doing pretty well with her. The primary challenge (so far at least) is not getting too ballsy since a lot of her stuff has recovery lag so if you start mashing buttons you can find yourself caught out pretty easily. I need to try Lady next because DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA.

wWuzwvJ.png
    They fixed that actually, the payout for both currencies is ridiculously high now, a couple missions on LDK mode and you'll have all the orbs n' proud souls you ever need. I actually played through as Nero on Devil Hunter mode first, and had maxed everything by the end of that first playthough. ;D

Oh brilliant
    edited August 2015
    I'm trying so very hard to want to keep playing this after getting over the initial lulz of playing as some new characters but every minute I spend playing a DMC game is a minute I have a nagging braincell going "yanno, I could be playing Metal Gear Rising or Legend of Korra and having WAY more fun."

Platinum Games has ruined DMC for me. The king is dead, long live the king.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited August 2015
    Your loss. I like both types of games. The style is distinct enough to me that I treat it as a separate genre, rather than being, as you unfortunately seem to be, trapped into always thinking of one as less than the other.
    Dante in DMC4 is still the most complicated and deep character there has ever been in a CAG. Platinum are lovely, but they haven't produced anything as deep as Dante. Not even Bayonetta is as deep as Dante.
    I love P to death, but this is just a fact of reality. I'd have to be completely blind to not acknowledge it.

Not that all of what Dante can do is deliberate. I don't think they expected flying guard for example, since its an inertia trick, but they did produce the code that allows inertia in the first place...

I have a soft spot for Hideaki Itsuno (DMC3, DMC4, Samura Heroes, Dragons Dogma). His stuff always makes me happy.

Morninglord on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    im with solid

played a couple of hours of revamped dmc4 and yep, its still dmc4 and still boring

rip

obF2Wuw.png
    Judgement-Cut-End-vergil-38398204-640-360.jpg

yeah

rip

Oh brilliant
    edited August 2015
    I've been having fun. And I hope they make another one.
    And I hope Platinum also make more games.
    Twice the fun for everyone.
    Except you two who have had lost your ability to taste anything but one style of spice. Sad but oh well.

Morninglord on
    I've never actually liked DMC 4 Dante because he has way too much shit for me to be able to keep straight in my head and I never particularly cared for Vergil. These opinions existed before I ever touched one of Platinum's games. Nero, Lady, and Trish are fun enough and more my speed but I just prefer the flow and style of Platinum.

You're good enough to be able to play and understand the absurdly high level stuff in these games but spoilers, most people aren't. For the rest of us, Dante's weird obscure shit is about as relevant as the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow and about as interesting. Sorry for insulting your refined and obviously superior tastes with my groveling peasantry.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited August 2015
    You didn't insult me at all. I seem to have insulted you though, which I didn't mean to. I just didn't understand your point of view and that was the only reason I could think of. My bad.

Morninglord on
    Woah, you can do 7 EX Streak!? I've only ever seen 5. :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0QcL4Tyj-M

Oh brilliant
    That is hilarious.

Extra streaks seem to be based on the number of monsters. It isn't controllable in the sense that you can always work out when it is going to happen.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Guys, seriously, Dante is the daddy of character action. Don't dis daddy.

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I prefer Bayonetta and Bayo 2 as games, but DMC4 has a depth of combat that other CAGs can't touch. Even if I can't perform at the level demonstrated by all these videos, I can appreciated the system that allows their creation.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    That said I would love if they improved their level design a bit.

Just so drab.

For all it's gameplay shortcomings, DmC puts pretty much all of DMC's level design to shame. Lookit this level;

XK4wd2Vl.png

Unffff. Thas a static image, even without all the Limbo carnage, it looks great. Can't remember the term they used for that stuff. Grudge? Malice?

Also hey, I just beat Bloody Palace Dante, no damage! Cheevo get. >:D

(I scrubbed out, used Super Dante's infinite Pandora Boomerang to do it. 3 failed attempts was my limit. ;P)

Oh brilliant
    edited August 2015
    I've died three times now to Credo with Vergil. I should probably actually seriously play through the various difficulties with him. I only beat it once to unlock bloody palace.
    Still I went through and redid the mission with Credo, learnt how to cheese his ass, and beat him the last time I had a go. Then I died to double blitz.

I still don't like berial much with Vergil. You can't actually use devil trigger to dash backwards if you are too close. Berials aoe has a prior to hit stun animation where they put up their hands to shield from the fire. It stuns devil triggered vergil in between dashes, so you get hit. It's really bad. :/

Morninglord on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So I'm hearing that I should play the Special Edition instead of the regular one???

dN0T6ur.png
    edited August 2015
    It has three new characters. It is the one you get.

Morninglord on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Regular Edition being DMC4, released in 2008? :P

YEAH get Special Edition! 3 new characters + costumes + Turbo Mode (game runs 20% faster) + the previously PC exclusive LDK Difficulty (Enemies Fuckin ERRYWHERE) + rebalanced currencies to ensure you unlock all the goodies super quick. ;D

It's basically an HD Remaster with a shit ton of new content.

Oh brilliant
    I dunno if I mentioned this, but I saw some talk in various places that distorted real impact was changed in some way. I have noticed no changes in timing, damage or visual effect. It's the same as always.

Yeah, I read that too. I think it was that the 60fps means there's a stricter window on usefulness? Like DRI deals damage per frame of DT distortion, so the increased framerate messed it up. I dunno about that, but I do seem to have a harder time landing the full thing - a lot of the time Dante will land the initial impact then just fly up without further damage.

Also Vergil has a DRI that I cannot pull off at all.

Oh brilliant
    edited August 2015
    His timing is slightly different.
    I downloaded a trainer so I can play around with the mechanics.
    You have to press it earlier than dante. Coming out of DT you can press it roughly the same time, but going in there is a little delay.

I got a 5 hit DRI with Dante on a normal scarecrow. The timing is a littttle bit faster but not that much. I clearly heard 5 hits register.

I found out a couple of amusing things from playing around with a Scarecrow with Vergil.

Firstly you can do his just frame more powerful judgement cut as an air version, but not instantly anywhere like you can with the normal jc. You have to basically do the same button presses as you do for the hold melee version of instant JC, but at the timing for the just frame after hitting an enemy instead. He'll do the air float and the just frame version comes out. Naturally I'm talking about doing it from the ground.

Why bother? Cos you count as in the air afterwards, so you can immediately switch and killer bee or whatever.

Other cool thing I found is if you killer bee something on the ground so they launch and then immediately trick he will teleport to them mid air at the top of their launch, and since trick temporarily freezes their fall down you can combo comfortably from there.

edit: Also when in devil trigger air stinger will do multiple hits, which it wont do with normal vergil regardless of concentration meter. You can with a little practice chain a trick onto the end of this so they don't go flying away, which lets you stinger them repeatedly across the arena. It looks amazing.

Oh and you can distort the final hit of his devil trigger unique normal combo by dropping out of devil trigger.

With high concentration force edge can launch a frost instantly, just like prop shredder with dante. No fucking about with their ice shield. Force edge is, in general, the best weapon for obliterating frosts comfortably if you can keep your concentration meter high. It's got a lot of moves that can stunlock and lock them down due to the multiple hits instantly breaking their ice shield super armor.
    The attack where he dual wields it with yamato is a great example. With low concentration they can sort of move around a little bit in between stuns. With high concentration they just repeat the interrupt animation over and over and are frozen in place.

Morninglord on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7_tG3Ov3iY&feature=youtu.be

Vergil can trick out of blitz lightning shield retaliation.

BABOOP, Platinum Trophy Get! :D

Oh brilliant
    You S ranked bloody palace? Nice.

https://youtu.be/dGL17ykE8Zk

DMC5 is happening!!!
    Nero grew up leaning more towards the DmC universe, huh? Not so pretty anymore...

Gameplay looks perfect for an update of DMC4's Nero. Hope we're getting a big revamp of Dante to maybe make him even more complex, and mmmaybe even Vergil as a busted OP character?

Oh brilliant
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Supposedly three playable characters. Nero, Dante (I assume since he showed up right at the end) and someone else. Maybe that sexy Velma lady that was with Nero? I dunno, game looks pretty sweet though.

Never beat 4, ironically enough I sorta lost interest when it switched to Dante. Nero's his nephew?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Only via word of the writer and some extra stuff added to Vergil's story in SE, in addition to some very vague stuff Dante says to Nero. It is never directly stated in the game at all, but yeah the idea is that he's Vergil's son, born without a Devil Trigger, who gets possessed by his dad's soul after Nelo Angelo dies in DMC1.
    looks like dad is alive and using Nero's devil arm to regain his strength?

Oh brilliant
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    There's a piece of art that shows the three playable characters from the back and the third character does not seem to be someone that appears in the trailer, unless it's the cloaked figure.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    So hyped for this, my crew is back!

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Ohhh...

My hope is that it's a mix of classic DMC combat (with new stuff of course) and DmC style level design and platforming