As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The next PAX?

MomoshouseMomoshouse Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in PAX Archive
Help - we totally missed PAX in Seattle (Arriving the Monday after it was finished) as we didn't really find out about it until our travel plans were already booked.
Does anyone know when and where next years will be??

Thanks to all who answer from a gaming mom!

""[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"I've got a good mind to go out and join a club and beat you over the head with it.
Momoshouse on

• NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Historically speaking it has always been the last weekend of august. That's not a guarantee though and the next PAX's date has not been announced.

North on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Although it has, as mentioned, always been the last weekend of the month, I'm pretty sure that it's been stated by organizers that they'd really like to move it up a week or two for 08. However, it depends on the availability of the convention center.

I know a lot of students are going to find it hard to do PAX with the usual flair if they have classes on Monday, which will probably happen for some of them if PAX is on the last weekend in 08. (For those without a calendar handy, the last weekend would be August 30-31, with Monday falling on September 1st.)

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Labor day is always the first Monday of September, so even if PAX falls on the last August weekend next year, students will not return to school until after Labor day (the 1st).

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    That's not a universal truth. Cleveland State, here, always starts the week before Labor Day.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited September 2007
    Liger wrote: »
    Labor day is always the first Monday of September, so even if PAX falls on the last August weekend next year, students will not return to school until after Labor day (the 1st).

The poor bastards in Cleveland aside, it's still going to throw a hefty wrench in the plans of those who have to travel any real distance, especially if they're road-trippers.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh lord, if it is the last weekend in August and that's Labor Day Weekend, they're up against DragonCon.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    weren't they up against dragoncon almost every other year?

futility on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    DragonCon was the weekend immediately following PAX this year.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
    edited September 2007
    Don't you mean DragonCon is up against PAX? Bwahaha.

Also: Cleveland, you suck. Start school later. :P

Liger on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TDL wrote: »
    DragonCon was the weekend immediately following PAX this year.

DragonCon is always Labor Day Weekend. 4 Day conventions are a bitch, but so much fun in retrospect.
    Don't you mean DragonCon is up against PAX? Bwahaha.

Click that handy link I posted and tell me which is bigger as it stands right now.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited September 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Click that handy link I posted and tell me which is bigger as it stands right now.

Size doesn't matter.

Samyel on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Samyel wrote: »
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Size doesn't matter.

But where you put it does.

Highfire on
  • neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Where I live, in California...
    College normally starts the week before Labor Day, it did this year.
    I missed my first day of class because of PAX.

Also, the Universities of California start later, but the Cal States and such start early, too.

So yeah, PAX does conflict with school in a lot of places.
    It kinda blows, that.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
    edited September 2007
    I've been to that convention center, it's pretty damn impressive.

I still stand by my previous statement.

Liger on
  • AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Samyel wrote: »
    Although it has, as mentioned, always been the last weekend of the month, I'm pretty sure that it's been stated by organizers that they'd really like to move it up a week or two for 08. However, it depends on the availability of the convention center.

I know a lot of students are going to find it hard to do PAX with the usual flair if they have classes on Monday, which will probably happen for some of them if PAX is on the last weekend in 08. (For those without a calendar handy, the last weekend would be August 30-31, with Monday falling on September 1st.)

Actually, I think they said they would move it up if it worked better, but that they want to keep the last weekend of August. I really wish they'd move it up, though, because while my school starts later (and is in the same city anyway, conveniently) my one of my best friends who is a fellow lover of PAX couldn't go this year because he had to go to school.

Aydr on
  • P3T3YP3T3Y Registered User new member
    edited September 2007

The fall semester at ASU started on the 20th of August. My buddy's girlfriend ditched her Thursday and Friday classes to come with us on our road trip.

P3T3Y on
    edited September 2007
    P3T3Y wrote: »

The fall semester at ASU started on the 20th of August. My buddy's girlfriend ditched her Thursday and Friday classes to come with us on our road trip.

I'll rephrase: SANE students will not return to school until after Labor Day. :D

Liger on
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited September 2007
    I can tell you that PAX will be on the last weekend of August again - although for 2008 that DOES fall on Labor Day weekend. Fri-Sun will still apply, however.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • andrea_macandrea_mac Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    I'm just wondering when do they offically announce the dates for PAX since my husband and I are planning to attend next year and want to make plans to do other things as well for a 2 week period on the west coast.

andrea_mac on
  • yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "the Khoo" is law 'round these parts. So you can consider his post above to be the official date of PAX.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can tell you that PAX will be on the last weekend of August again - although for 2008 that DOES fall on Labor Day weekend. Fri-Sun will still apply, however.

Oh no! That will conflict with my annual Ping Pong tournament... decisions will have to be made!

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • smessmes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You do fuck all in your first week of college/uni classes anyway, so why the complaints?

smes on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    smes wrote: »
    You do fuck all in your first week of college/uni classes anyway, so why the complaints?

In my University, some classes will kick you out for people on the waiting list if you don't show up on the first day.

Of course, that doesn't worry me with PAX, since UCSC starts so late. This year the first day of classes was 9/27.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • MomoshouseMomoshouse Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Are there any firm plans as to where the 2008 PAX will be held - will it be in the convention centre again?
    We really would like to attend so are wondering when and if we can pre register for tix?

Thanks to all!

Momoshouse on
    ""[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"I've got a good mind to go out and join a club and beat you over the head with it.
    edited October 2007
    PAX 2008 will be in the Washington State Convention and Trade Center in beautiful downtown Seattle. Pre-registration usually opens up around March.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yes and yes.

They have said that they will take over the convention center again, and as far as pre-registering for tickets, just check the PAX website every week starting around March I think.

Edit: Beaten by Moe... again.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    There's this thing called the PAX website. It has that info on it.

Me Too! on
    edited October 2007
    Lol! wrote: »
    There's this thing called the PAX website. It has that info on it.

As it stands right now all the info on the PAX website is for 2007. Info for next year has not yet been posted...

Liger on
    edited October 2007
    Next PAX is too far away. Dead forum is dead. Stop being so dead!

...what's that *listens*

The wind!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Whenever PAX isn't happening... everyone should be asking "Where's PAX?"

Seriously though I walk by the WSCTC every weekday going to my office and I think "Man... I wish there was a PAX every month."

And all this news from last week about E For All really just makes me think of how fun PAX will be next year and how sad it will be for E For All when their attendence goes down because they intentionally scheduled their show up against PAX.

nearlysober on
    edited October 2007
    I'll be curious to see what exhibitors end up at E4All if they still plan to take the same weekend as PAX.

Liger on
    edited October 2007
    E4All will probably get a share of the exhibitors local to California who don't want to make the trip up to Seattle.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ...if they get Blizzard after all of this, I'm gonna...

...well, I'll probably cry a bit.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited October 2007
    I wonder if anybody has told the E4All people that they're dates for next year are a bad idea and they should change before it's too late.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Maybe they LIKE failing miserably?

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • MomoshouseMomoshouse Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Labour Day weekend eh?? That should be an interesting time to travel...................................
    Will watch the site to pre register.

Momoshouse on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The news sites are already announcing.

Aug. 29-31, 2008.

Mark your calendars, gentlemen.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The news sites are already announcing.

Aug. 29-31, 2008.

Mark your calendars, gentlemen.

Khoo announced a long time ago...

My datebook has had that weekend marked for awhile now.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My friend and I were driving down I-5 yesterday and when we saw the WSCTC sign, we both started pawing at it, like a kitten trying to get to a mouse behind some glass.

Damn you Gregory XIII for not making every month August!

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gen Con was the week right before PAX. That had a lot of people.

It's nice to have to attend lots of conventions in a month, except when you have to deal with the borders.

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
This discussion has been closed.