As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    So as I posted earlier, the Camaro got hit a few weeks ago. I'm probably going to part it out.

Anybody heard any horror stories about the C5/C5 Z06? The mileage is pretty low compared to cars I'm used to driving, and the only thing I've really seen so far browsing the Vette forums is that the steering column lock can be a bastard and ruin your day.

Specifically looking at this thing.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    the one reason I wish I owned a proper vacuum is to get the summer beach sand out of my car.
    guess I'll just have to go and pay by the fifteen minutes at the car wash.

Even then, it'll never be gone.

Sand is never truly gone from a car.

update: local car wash vacuum is unbelievably shit and has the wrong head for reaching into nooks and/or crannies.

I live in the sticks so the next services with a vacuum are 40km away (and might be shit also). Options are a) get a full interior valet service or b) let the people borrowing my car deal with the dirt.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    the one reason I wish I owned a proper vacuum is to get the summer beach sand out of my car.
    guess I'll just have to go and pay by the fifteen minutes at the car wash.

Even then, it'll never be gone.

Sand is never truly gone from a car.

update: local car wash vacuum is unbelievably shit and has the wrong head for reaching into nooks and/or crannies.

I live in the sticks so the next services with a vacuum are 40km away (and might be shit also). Options are a) get a full interior valet service or b) let the people borrowing my car deal with the dirt.

Let 'em deal.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    So as I posted earlier, the Camaro got hit a few weeks ago. I'm probably going to part it out.

Anybody heard any horror stories about the C5/C5 Z06? The mileage is pretty low compared to cars I'm used to driving, and the only thing I've really seen so far browsing the Vette forums is that the steering column lock can be a bastard and ruin your day.

If the guys on Drive and The Smoking Tire are anything to go by C5's and especially C5 Z06's are one of the best value performance cars you can buy. The interior may be total crap but everything else about it are great. Matt Farah's has said his C5 is the most reliable car he has ever owned even with it's extensive modification.

Gaudy chrome wheels aside, that Corvette looks to be a ton of car for under $15k. Personally, I'd ditch the wheels and find a set of adjustable (or fixed back if you are comfortable) Recaros/Sparcos/Corbeau seats especially if you do any track driving.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Unfortunately the seats will probably stay, because I plan to run SCCA stock-class autocross. :( But they've gotta be better than the crappy ones in my 4th gen at least.

Yeah not a huge fan of the wheels either, but I suspect I could find a set of factory gunmetal ones for a pretty even trade.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »

The Z06 had the best version of the LS1, the LS6. The 2002 onwards models had even more upgrades to the motor, it's a smooth, powerful, and flexible engine. The gearbox is pretty good, if just a touch notchy in some units. The FE4 suspension and better brakes are all great, and that particular car seems to have an interior in excellent condition. I don't even hate the chromies! (I'd still replace them with something as lightweight and wide as possible to stuff under the guards though)

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    I wonder how much that RX-7 went for...

• Options
    cleaning my car out and I remembered one of the reasons I like it so much is it just feels so australian-friendly. No cup-holders, but a double ended bottle opener right next to the drivers seat.

• Options
    cleaning my car out and I remembered one of the reasons I like it so much is it just feels so australian-friendly. No cup-holders, but a double ended bottle opener right next to the drivers seat.

Isn't the double ended bottle opener clipped into the cup holder in the center console? And the rear seats have a fold-out cupholder under the console air vents, yeah? The front doors also have bottle holders at the front of the door pockets. Of course, I'm assuming your Golf is a Mk5?

• Options

Isn't the double ended bottle opener clipped into the cup holder in the center console? And the rear seats have a fold-out cupholder under the console air vents, yeah? The front doors also have bottle holders at the front of the door pockets. Of course, I'm assuming your Golf is a Mk5?

shhhhhhhh

yes there are cupholders for the rear seats. The centre console cupholder really isn't deep enough to effectively hold anything except maybe a can without tipping over, so I don't count that, and you can put ANYTHING in the doors. Like right now there's mostly some notepads and a tennis ball.

My philosophy is that a general storage area doesn't count as a cupholder even if it does hold cups/bottles well.

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    NO FOOD OR BEVERAGES IN THE CAR

• Options
    edited August 2015

shhhhhhhh

yes there are cupholders for the rear seats. The centre console cupholder really isn't deep enough to effectively hold anything except maybe a can without tipping over, so I don't count that, and you can put ANYTHING in the doors. Like right now there's mostly some notepads and a tennis ball.

My philosophy is that a general storage area doesn't count as a cupholder even if it does hold cups/bottles well.

The center console cupholder has little rails on either side that the bottle opener fits into if you unclip it from the rubber liner and turn it 90 degrees, and it clips back and forth to hold different diameter cups/bottles:

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/fr/ubfy0t3o3kz2.jpg

Jesus fuck I need to clean the car!

EDIT: Damnit, I thought the forums auto-resized when you uploaded a pic directly to them...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Chris, I accept that the VW has plenty of cupholders. I acknowledge that my joke about 'no cupholders' was inaccurate in the extreme and I apologise deeply for misrepresenting the interior of a car in such an egregious fashion.

tynic on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Can we talk for a minute about how genius it is to have a built-in bottle opener in a car though?

• Options
    I KNOW! That's really the point I was trying to make.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Thinking about cool/useful stuff built into cars reminded me of the greatest damn thing Humanity has ever built.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00pxJAH9iUQ

Still mad they didn't bring this to market. I'd buy one and the nearest beach is 500 miles away!

• Options
    holy shit
    i started off thinking 'yeah ok whatever' and by the time they got to "a gas stove!" I'm all O_O

• Options
    Chris, I accept that the VW has plenty of cupholders. I acknowledge that my joke about 'no cupholders' was inaccurate in the extreme and I apologise deeply for misrepresenting the interior of a car in such an egregious fashion.

It's not your fault my sense of humour is dying.

• Options

Just for you, I'll buy a six pack of ginger beer tomorrow and store it all over my car.

• Options

Just for you, I'll buy a six pack of ginger beer tomorrow and store it all over my car.

Make it reasonably nice bourbon and cola premixes and you've got yourself a deal!

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Thinking about cool/useful stuff built into cars reminded me of the greatest damn thing Humanity has ever built.

Still mad they didn't bring this to market. I'd buy one and the nearest beach is 500 miles away!

I dunno. After cleaning up after the damn kids, I think the best invention is the built in vacuum. Until they come up with a separate children's trailer that's self cleaning.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    The thing about that concept car is that there is a crowd of people who probably would buy a car with all that stuff built-in, except that even back in the early 90's they never would've bought a car that looked like that, even accounting for the wacky styling concept cars usually have.

On cupholders: when people see the cupholders on my car I get the best looks. I generally just explain that the Germans probably just view the need for cupholders as a silly American thing. Downside is that when I do have a passenger their knees tend to knock the cups out of the bottom of the holders :\

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    My first vehicle, the '90 Suburban, had a pair of cupholders in the center console and that was it. Neither my '90 Camaro, '85 Fiero, nor '87 Scirocco had cupholders. The Dart has 6 cup/bottle holders, two in between the front seats, two in the fold down partition in the back seat, and a bottle holder on each front door.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Need more cupholders? Then you need a Powell Motors Homer, sir/madam:

the-homer.jpg

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I drove my nearly brother-in-law's Evo back from the city just now. Who ever tuned it has set the BOV to comical, it choo choos like a champ. Hasn't half got some boost though. Also the steering is ridiculously light and numb.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    I drove my nearly brother-in-law's Evo back from the city just now. Who ever tuned it has set the BOV to comical, it choo choos like a champ. Hasn't half got some boost though. Also the steering is ridiculously light and numb.

That's weird. Has it got aftermarket wheels on it?

• Options
    Not sure, probably, but nothing that I'da thunk would make an huge difference.

• Options

Depends on the offset. If they fucked up the scrub radius you could lose or gain in weight and feedback.

• Options

Depends on the offset. If they fucked up the scrub radius you could lose or gain in weight and feedback.

They don't seem too far off from original, but the suspension is aftermarket too so perhaps with them together it's all wrong. It still works fine, it's just all light and boring. Could be that the previous owner wasn't all that interested in feedback and just wanted it light and boring because daily.

• Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    The drivetrain for the Polo Gti 1.4 is known for having a lot of problems, right?

• Options
    The drivetrain for the Polo Gti 1.4 is known for having a lot of problems, right?

Not really, no.

• Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    It's really wierd. I see tons of them used around here. Mostly Polos, but also the Fabia vRs that shares the same engine and drivetrain. Oil problems seem to be the opinion of everyone who owns one. Or rather, Volkswagen thinks two liters of oil per 10000km is perfectly alright. The owners aren't as sure.

Just can't understand why people are trading them in for bargain prices when the Golfs GTIs retain their value much better.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    Our Golf diesel eats about a litre per 15,000. Has done ever since it was new. Most cars do, it's just not usually as noticeable especially in petrol cars because more soot and fuel washes past the piston rings and ends up in the sump, which raises the oil level a teensy bit.
    I've heard the 1.4 twincharged engine can eat a bit of oil, but I have also heard that it slows down after the first or second service.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Well, I did a thing...
    3FFFkG9WWtqYHN5UwyTzreOCW6LLB8xRd9B2mQTCJUU=w1488-h837-no
    Aoz80ifqmB-q6n6CkEddGdKcPxrrF87maYx2geOOLpQ=w1080-h609-no

It's definitely not perfect, there's a fair number of nicks and scratches if you're looking closely, and there's a couple small cosmetic issues - the HVAC display isn't working, and the gears in the left headlight motor are starting to grind after lowering. But the important mechanical bits all seem solid, it runs like a champ and shifts well, and the suspension doesn't feel too worn out yet.

Also it is fast like a freak holy shit

mRahmani on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    take that stinger, remove the fold in the grill and solder up those awful hole sin the doorpanels and it's already looking a million times better.

I think that thing can look pretty decent.

edit: just saw full profile pics, this thing is beyond salvage.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I always see myself in a Corvette. It's probably the most affordable super car, though I think the Skyline offers the best bang for buck nowadays.

Also, turns out there was a huge leak in my condenser. Replaced that, evacuated the system, gotten the somewhat right amount of R-134a and oil (ended up using a food scale to measure how much refrigerant I put in, keeping things on the low end cause fuck having to replace the compressor too) , and now it's blowing ice cubes. Now to take a relaxing afternoon of buttoning everything back up.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I think they look fine.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Only thing I'm not a big fan of is the LED strip going up the side, the rest looks ok to me.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

I dunno. After cleaning up after the damn kids, I think the best invention is the built in vacuum. Until they come up with a separate children's trailer that's self cleaning.

Honda will give you a built-in vacuum if you pay them like $45k for a top-trim Odyssey... :pop:

a5ehren on
This discussion has been closed.