As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superman: Doomsday

1235»

• devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shit, I just remembered this.

Did anyone else watch the Max Fleischer Superman cartoons? The ones where Superman got smacked down by tear gas, fought giant robots, the Japanese, a rocket car and people who look like Hawkman?

Did anyone notice the many, many references to those cartoons in the Fortress of Solitude in Superman: Doomsday? Specifically (from memory) the rocket car and the giant robots.

Edit: Holy shit. I just wikipedia'd the old cartoons and they're in the public domain now!

Here's a link to a picture of the robot I was talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Superman-mechanical-monster.jpg

And here's a link to the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_%281940s_cartoons%29

Scroll down until you see Filmography and they have links to the cartoons from the Internet Archive.

For example!: http://www.archive.org/details/superman_1941

devoir on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I remember that cartoon! At one point Supes fought a mad scientist with a lazor cannon. Also inexplicable mummies.

KalTorak on
    edited October 2007
    YES! And now you can watch them! Online! For free!

So going to spend a few hours watching these when I get back from the concert tonight.

devoir on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh God I love the Fleischer Superman cartoons, the animation and art design are superb

My personal favorite is the one with the robots

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Those cartoons had hella smooth animation.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I liked it, but a couple gripes:
    Superman: DOOMSDAY. You'd figure that Doomsday would have been more prominent.

Really fucking nitpicky, but... Superman's cheek dimple.. thing. What the hell?

Aside from that, good movie overall, despite the fact that I'm more of a Marvel fan. Those Ultimate Avengers, etc. movies were HORRIBLE.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The problem with Marvel's animated movies is that they sorta lack a grounding in reality or any sense of humour

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Fleischer cartoons are the best thing. In one of them, Superman punches a laser. In another (the robot one) is becomes clear that Superman's cape also has superpowers.

Since they're public domain, I recommend everyone watch them now.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Those cartoons had hella smooth animation.
    Rotoscoping will do that for you

deadonthestreet on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, it looks good, but it's not really impressive

Garlic Bread on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Charmy wrote: »
    The Fleischer cartoons are the best thing. In one of them, Superman punches a laser. In another (the robot one) is becomes clear that Superman's cape also has superpowers.

Since they're public domain, I recommend everyone watch them now.

See, that's what I thought at first too. But if you look closely, you can see that, at first the laser is just a laser. But then when Supes starts getting pounded back by it (punctuated by orchestral kicks), it's also shooting some sort of white balls at him. They're really hard to see b/c the laser is also white. But that's what he's punching as he's flying towards the laser cannon (which he decides to tie into a knot. Seriously).

KalTorak on
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Oh God I love the Fleischer Superman cartoons, the animation and art design are superb

I just watched one where Superman hits a guy over the head with a flashlight and robs a bank. What a dick.

Mace1370 on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Devoir thanks so much for pointing out the 40's Superman cartoon episodes. I love those and have always enjoyed them!

Time to kick back and see what happens when the Japanese try and mess with Superman. Politically incorrect hijinks ensue I'm sure!

Caveman Paws on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mace1370 wrote: »

I just watched one where Superman hits a guy over the head with a flashlight and robs a bank. What a dick.

I mean really. Considering how strong he is, he should really hold back a bit when dealing with petty thugs. Makes me wonder just how much of them is left after he smacks them through a concrete wall.

Fortress of solitude bit:
    Did anyone see the big numbered robot from those old cartoons? Hahah!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Devoir thanks so much for pointing out the 40's Superman cartoon episodes. I love those and have always enjoyed them!

Time to kick back and see what happens when the Japanese try and mess with Superman. Politically incorrect hijinks ensue I'm sure!

Glad to be of service! =) I actually forgot about these while I was moving house. Going to check them out during lunch break.
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Mace1370 wrote: »

I mean really. Considering how strong he is, he should really hold back a bit when dealing with petty thugs. Makes me wonder just how much of them is left after he smacks them through a concrete wall.

Fortress of solitude bit:
    Did anyone see the big numbered robot from those old cartoons? Hahah!

Yes! That and the rocket car are what made me think of looking the cartoons up on wikipedia! Thus leading to watching them all over again and linking them here. =)

Does anyone else know whether Hawkman was created by when those cartoons were made? Because that one episode of the hawk people in the cavern (from memory) had a strong resemblence.

devoir on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Does anyone else know whether Hawkman was created by when those cartoons were made? Because that one episode of the hawk people in the cavern (from memory) had a strong resemblence.

I believe Hawkman has a year or two on the Fleischer cartoons.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
    edited October 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »

I believe Hawkman has a year or two on the Fleischer cartoons.

Apparently the character was created in 1940, the cartoon I was thinking of in 1943.

Maybe there wasn't as much of a resemblance as I thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:The_underground_world_still.JPG

devoir on