As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Animation Stuff

DversedDversed Registered User regular
edited June 2015 in Artist's Corner
I've been Going to school for 3d animation for a bit. The class I'm taking now is Intro to game animation.

I wanted to get some feed back on my stuff. Hopefully some fresh eyes can help me make my stuff better

This is supposed to be a death animation for a game
Whatcha think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4jBpfUPhI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqKhBiNGe0

Dversed on

• DversedDversed Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I did ok with this assignment. Here is the final version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KATCfp8ApFs&feature=youtu.be

My next class starts on june 28th.

So I want to do a walk cycle a day until class starts. I think this will help me with body mechanics and timing. Also it will help me to stick with a plan and letting go at the end of the night and move on to the next assignment. I have a big problem with noodling to much.

WalkCycleDoubleBounce.gif
    WalkCycle1.gif

Dversed on
    edited June 2015
    Doing studies everyday, not all of them are going to be gems. lol

AngryWC.gif

So many problems, but at least i can see them.
    I kinda like it, because it looks so ridiculous

Dversed on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    ~reported to the ministry of silly walks~

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Its fun to watch you just fuck around. It makes me want to animate again.

edited June 2015
    Didn't get to animate anything this weekend
    Block is not amused
    CeleryMan1.gif
    Iruka wrote: »
    Its fun to watch you just fuck around. It makes me want to animate again.
    Do it
    Lets have More Animation doodles

Dversed on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    These walks all have a lot of personality! Nice job :)

Sorry for not updating more

here's my project that I'm working on that's due by mid September.
    I'm in the blocking stage. Any feedback would be great.

Think you cant give feed back? You say you don't know anything about animation. Your wrong.
    Its all in the gestures!
    Help me improve on these poses. Does the line of action look weak? Does the silhouette not read well? Timing look too slow or fast? Tubs fat isn't jiggly enough?

By the way, this dudes name is Tubs.

Help me get a good grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYJXJMmQVgY&feature=youtu.be

I promise I'll try my best to help you out with your project if you comment.

The reactions all seem little condensed. Like the recovery from the fall and the recovery after hitting his foot. If you give the viewer an extra sec to take it in the quickness of the other actions should have a better balance. I would also hang for a sec on him looking at the objects. You probably want to front load it with a little time as well so we can take in the shot before immediately having action to pay attention to.

Just finished my class critique. My Instructor had similar notes. He added, that before the kick to the block on the ground there needs to be more confusion instead of quick frustration.
    So i'm gonna work on timing and clean up some poses.
    I need to start adding more inbetweens soon aswell.

I hope this link works for people.
    https://rgbnotes.com/viewer/#6130/5684

He drew over the video
    That site is pretty great if your an animator

The link doesn't work, even if you sign up, I'm afraid.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    The reactions all seem little condensed. Like the recovery from the fall and the recovery after hitting his foot. If you give the viewer an extra sec to take it in the quickness of the other actions should have a better balance. I would also hang for a sec on him looking at the objects. You probably want to front load it with a little time as well so we can take in the shot before immediately having action to pay attention to.

I would also add that there might need to be more weight imposed onto the characters actions. Maybe look at having his body squash and stretch reactions to the environments?

Yeah, the flour sack exercise would be a good thing to consider as you animate:
    floursack.jpg

You also probably want to double or triple your frames per second. Keep in mind "jerky" graphics are usually 35 frames per second, with about 60 frames per second seeming "smooth" to the human eye.

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Enc wrote: »
    Yeah, the flour sack exercise would be a good thing to consider as you animate:
    floursack.jpg

You also probably want to double or triple your frames per second. Keep in mind "jerky" graphics are usually 35 frames per second, with about 60 frames per second seeming "smooth" to the human eye.

Uh, no? Film standard is 24 fps, PAL video is 25, NTSC video is 29.97. Frame rates higher than that, such as the 48 fps of The Hobbit, are very recent inventions designed to make alleviate some of the troubles with stereoscopic 3d.

Also the jerkiness here is just that this is just a blocking pass to get the key frames and timing down, before getting into the inbetweens.

Hrm, I was always taught to gauge based off of the digibeta conversion (digibeta was about 30fps) with modern trends going up to 60 (after which you can't tell the difference with the human eye).

This was back in 2005 though, so I'm probably wrong on this.

• nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'm in school for animation right now. When animating for films you do 24, when animating for video games you do 30. The exceptions are films that are shot at 48 FPS (like Hobbit), then the animation is matched.

Honestly, at this stage do 24 or 30 - whichever you're most comfortable. Once you get a feel for how long a quarter/half/full second is, switching FPS is just a matter of adjusting your math.

nakirush on
    nakirush wrote: »
    I'm in school for animation right now. When animating for films you do 24, when animating for video games you do 30. The exceptions are films that are shot at 48 FPS (like Hobbit), then the animation is matched.

Honestly, at this stage do 24 or 30 - whichever you're most comfortable. Once you get a feel for how long a quarter/half/full second is, switching FPS is just a matter of adjusting your math.

You could even just draw up 12 or15 frames and double them for initial work with key frames and add in more afterwards. I lot of animators starting out would do this for very quick testing.

Yup, Im working in 24 fps.
    And at this point I am in the blocking phase, so its about fixing the timing and poses. Thats why its not smooth yet. This makes it easier to make changes with out having to worry about inbetweens getting jacked up.
    Smoothing the animation out is called splining which I'll probably do next weekend. I still have a lot to fix.

Here is my current pass.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwJojmVp_-o

Hows the timing feel? I tried to add a "suspicious" pose before he kicks the second box.

Here is a syncsketch link. You can scrub through the frames and draw over the movie. Its suppose to be open for everyone. The drawback is I think it only lasts for about 2 weeks then it disappears.
    Hope it works.
    http://www.syncsketch.com/playground/b1ebb9a4e9a943b088503ebf831efee6#40162

I'd add some more seconds of nothing in the beginning, by the time you understand that he fell in, you already need to take in the next action. I would have also have him bounce and go back to flat and stay flat for a second. that impact should be getting me into the scene.

Drawing on the thing doesn't seem to work in chrome on my surface, but I'll make some notes tomorrow.

• EndlessRedEndlessRed Registered User new member
    I like the timing on it. It feels natural for your style. I like Iruka's idea for a few more seconds at the beginning. It would help the viewer get a feel for the setting before he drops in.

I would look at the ending personally. I would have a classic WB Chuck Jones style gravity learning moment. Have the character pause in the air with satisfaction he got the ball. Only to start feeling around and realising he isn't on the ground.

edited September 2015
    Yeah, that beginning part is dreadful. I have him not staying flat because I have to keep it under 18 seconds and its 17 seconds. Maybe I'll just have him land on his feet.
    At this point, I've started the spline phase, which is making the animation smooth. I'm still trying to fix the timing and the little overlaps and ease ins and outs. I have to work on the hands and face.
    So much to be done.

http://www.syncsketch.com/playground/2839779306604b36a1c02da970bc855f#42057

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrV4UKmk9PI&feature=youtu.be

Dversed on
    All considering, I think you did a pretty good job! I think if you had no constraints you could have pushed some of the timing in there, but it's solid.

• MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    I left some crits on your sync sketch. A good amount to be happy with, I'd say, looking forward to more.