As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

School me on modems (router discussion welcome too)

Alas, I have departed Korea and settled in Washington DC. My apartment building only allows Comcast cable internet. I packed my own router when I moved here, but to my suprise, Comcast leases out Modem/Router hybrids. The Xfinity modem doubles as a dual band router.

Meanwhile, I have a perfectly good Cisco Wireless N router collecting dust, but I am intrigued by the hybrid. Speedtest.net reveals pathetic results (compared to Korea) at 180.88 Mbps Download and 12.13 Mbps Upload. I am open to purchasing my own hybrid if its more effective and consumes less electricity, or is the xfinity device a superior deal leased at 10$ a month (I refuse to believe this.) What are good alternatives to this device?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Alas, I have departed Korea and settled in Washington DC. My apartment building only allows Comcast cable internet. I packed my own router when I moved here, but to my suprise, Comcast leases out Modem/Router hybrids. The Xfinity modem doubles as a dual band router.

Meanwhile, I have a perfectly good Cisco Wireless N router collecting dust, but I am intrigued by the hybrid. Speedtest.net reveals pathetic results (compared to Korea) at 180.88 Mbps Download and 12.13 Mbps Upload. I am open to purchasing my own hybrid if its more effective and consumes less electricity, or is the xfinity device a superior deal leased at 10$ a month (I refuse to believe this.) What are good alternatives to this device?

you poor bastard

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Having a separate router and modem is good in my opinion. It lets you upgrade your Wifi as you see fit, and with Comcast you can save some money with your own stuff.

Modem: http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI

We have FIOS so we basically have to rent the modem/router.

EDIT: and yes, internet service in the USA is garbage compared to Korea. DC has a public fiber network but can't offer service to residential customers, because LOL Congress and LOL free market competition!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Having a separate router and modem is good in my opinion. It lets you upgrade your Wifi as you see fit, and with Comcast you can save some money with your own stuff.

Modem: http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI

We have FIOS so we basically have to rent the modem/router.

EDIT: and yes, internet service in the USA is garbage compared to Korea. DC has a public fiber network but can't offer service to residential customers, because LOL Congress and LOL free market competition!

I bought the modem, thanks. It pity my brother, he loves Comcast and Xfinity. He has not tasted first world internet overseas like I have.

It took all night for my 3DS to download Entrian Odyssey Untold 2 last night. The little droplets were coming in two at a time. What the hell...

Cantido on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I know you bought already, but the Surfboards are on sale at Woot.com at least once a week. Also, once you get the modem, you'll need to call Comcast to give them the MAC address for it.

I'm still debating updating the FiOS router we have; although we don't have any device that connects faster than N as it is.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I know you bought already, but the Surfboards are on sale at Woot.com at least once a week. Also, once you get the modem, you'll need to call Comcast to give them the MAC address for it.

I'm still debating updating the FiOS router we have; although we don't have any device that connects faster than N as it is.

I have addtional questions.

I completed the installation, and Speetest.net is producing far diminished results. Download speed around 80 Mbps yesterday, and now its at 60 today. Is that a weekend thing or am I experiencing configuration issues? Or is Comcast being a dick and throttling me because I changed devices?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

I completed the installation, and Speetest.net is producing far diminished results. Download speed around 80 Mbps yesterday, and now its at 60 today. Is that a weekend thing or am I experiencing configuration issues? Or is Comcast being a dick and throttling me because I changed devices?

It's likely a weekend thing.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately, "because Comcast" is going to be the answer to most of your problems

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Going from 80 to 60 pretty much means your modem got to use 3 channels instead of 4, probably due to congestion between the modem and the closest fiber access. Your slow downloads on the DS are far more likely due to Nintendo's god-awful online infrastructure than anything to do with your connection.

Also, it could always be worse. My parents pay more than I do on Comcast for half the speed on a small regional cable company.