As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROUND THREE: FIGHT A: RESULTS

• bAm-BaMbAm-BaM Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Just to be fair, even though it's possible for Captain Marvel to take down Supes, he's never actually been able to do it.

But anyway. Lets say they don't do the obvious Boy Scout Pack tatic.

Off the top of my head:
    Kingdom Come: Superman is about the only person Marvel uses the Shazam, lol dodge tatic against. Works fine, until Superman gets pissed, pushed Marvel into the bolt, and crushes Billy's jaw. Could go either way, Marvel has a way of obliterating Supes, as long as he doesn't get cocky with it. Of course, one could speculate that Supes was holding back against Marvel. Somewhat, considering Ross's gigantic boner (lawl) for Marvel.

Justice League Unlimited, Clash: Yeah, nerfed versions of the two, but same principle applies. And it's pretty much an ass kicking.

Not direct fights, but comparisons:
    Superman/Marvel First Thunder: One of the baddies notices that Supes flies around faster than Marvel. Again, Marvel might just like to admire the view.

Justice: Superman says Marvel is faster than him. However, this is based on Superman guessing that the Flash lets him win in their many races. Might be true, or it might be the fact that even if Supes is faster, his "Shazam Plan" won't do any good without anyone but Marvel.

Considering super senses, heat vision (edit: eh, seems to stun Marvel in Kingdom Come), and cold breath really doesn’t matter against Marvel, and the speed thing is all mucked up, it's about equal. Marvel wins if he doesn't fuck the SHAZAMing up, Supes if he can find a way out if it. I guess Marvel could completely pull character and bring along Kryptonite. Then Supes, barring lol eye lasers or that lead suit he had in the animated series, is right fucked.

Even if the two do duke it out, I'm still going with both of them for the win. The sheer collateral damage will obliterate the battlefield, Master of Magnitism and Big Bad Wolf alongside. I mean, watch Clash. Two nerfed versions of the characters fuck an entire city. A match between the "real" versions of the two will last longer than Magneto/Bigby's fine red mist splattered against the wall.

bAm-BaM on
    marvelcrotchsig.jpg
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MadJack wrote:
    okay first of all magneto brings his one item which is one of the many replicas of Mjolnir. (he can carry it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29 ) now upon entering the battlefield he shoots the hammer towards bigby while wretching the vorpal sword from him and using them to decapitate bigby he then throws it towards captain marvel who has been kept at bay by his forcefield killing captain marvel vie dicapataions and slams from the hammer. Saving superman for later due to his more workable weakness.

Magneto

Superman

That’s how I see it.

The Vorpal Sword would not decapitate Captain Marvel.

And kryptonite is not an instant kill against Superman. He'd die of it, but only after constant exposure of like an hour.

And Captain Marvel would take it away from him.

Marvel and Superman will team up, because it's still allowed.

No-one will slice Superman with the Vorpal Blade, because he knows what it can do. And he can easily avoid it, since Captain Marvel isn't going to be wielding it, and Marvel is the only one fast enough to touch Superman with the blade.

Now that we know that Superman knows about the Vorpal Blade, Superman and Captain Marvel will win the match. There is no other possible outcome. Literally.

Spectre-x on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'd like to see some sort of story where Superman is actually killed by Kryptonite. Just to see what it takes.

Because, as much as he seems to come into contact with it, he's always been able to overcome it. It's almost certainly not enough to just hold some next to him, you'd have to implant/stab/shoot him up with the stuff, like in Superman Returns.

Scooter on
  • CariblueCariblue Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    Cariblue wrote:
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    Except that Captain Marvel and Superman are longtime teammates and on good terms with each other, and Captain Marvel has a good chance of beating Superman without any help, so they can team up to take out Magneto and Bigby (at superspeed, before they even think to fight back), and then Cap can finish Supes off for the win.

Captain Marvel can easily beat Supes.

Uh, he basically said that. And I don't think anyone can easily take down Superman, but whatever. What he's saying is that they wouldn't fight each other first.

And the two of them are more than capable of taking out Bigby and Magneto.

No he didnt basically say that, he said he thinks Cap has a good chance at Supes, there is no good chance. Captain Marvel would easily defeats Superman.

Cariblue on
    edited October 2006
    Cariblue wrote:
    Geebs wrote:
    Cariblue wrote:
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    Except that Captain Marvel and Superman are longtime teammates and on good terms with each other, and Captain Marvel has a good chance of beating Superman without any help, so they can team up to take out Magneto and Bigby (at superspeed, before they even think to fight back), and then Cap can finish Supes off for the win.

Captain Marvel can easily beat Supes.

Uh, he basically said that. And I don't think anyone can easily take down Superman, but whatever. What he's saying is that they wouldn't fight each other first.

And the two of them are more than capable of taking out Bigby and Magneto.

No he didnt basically say that, he said he thinks Cap has a good chance at Supes, there is no good chance. Captain Marvel would easily defeats Superman.

He would defeat him, but not easily. You do not beat Superman easily. Not even the Anti-Monitor beats Superman easily.

Spectre-x on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    MadJack wrote:
    okay first of all magneto brings his one item which is one of the many replicas of Mjolnir. (he can carry it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29 ) now upon entering the battlefield he shoots the hammer towards bigby while wretching the vorpal sword from him and using them to decapitate bigby he then throws it towards captain marvel who has been kept at bay by his forcefield killing captain marvel vie dicapataions and slams from the hammer. Saving superman for later due to his more workable weakness.

Magneto

Superman

That’s how I see it.

And kryptonite is not an instant kill against Superman. He'd die of it, but only after constant exposure of like an hour.

No-one will slice Superman with the Vorpal Blade, because he knows what it can do. And he can easily avoid it, since Captain Marvel isn't going to be wielding it, and Marvel is the only one fast enough to touch Superman with the blade.

Now that we know that Superman knows about the Vorpal Blade, Superman and Captain Marvel will win the match. There is no other possible outcome. Literally.
    But that makes this fight really boring. Captain Marvel and Superman win. Yawn.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    bAm-BaM wrote:
    Just to be fair, even though it's possible for Captain Marvel to take down Supes, he's never actually been able to do it.

Off the top of my head:
    Kingdom Come: Superman is about the only person Marvel uses the Shazam, lol dodge tatic against. Works fine, until Superman gets pissed, pushed Marvel into the bolt, and crushes Billy's jaw. Could go either way, Marvel has a way of obliterating Supes, as long as he doesn't get cocky with it. Of course, one could speculate that Supes was holding back against Marvel. Somewhat, considering Ross's gigantic boner (lawl) for Marvel.
    If you're going to use Kingdom Come, you have to remember that they state that the years Superman spent absorbing sunlight but not fighting have dramatically upped his invulnerability, to the point that a Kryptonite nuke wouldn't kill him. Captain Marvel has no such mentioned power-up. So the Shazam trick, which was highly effective against a much more invulnerable Supes, might well finish the current version off in one or two strikes, instead of the several used in Kingdom Come.

Adaemus1sf on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, and that Captain Marvel was rusty, if anything.

robosagogo on
  • NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Olivaw wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    MadJack wrote:

Magneto

Superman

That’s how I see it.

But that makes this fight really boring. Captain Marvel and Superman win. Yawn.
    Boring though it may be, we're supposed to vote according to who would win based on what their powers are and how they would interact with the other combatants. If this were a popularity/what's more fun competition my guess is a lot of votes would have been changed.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • bAm-BaMbAm-BaM Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    bAm-BaM wrote:

Off the top of my head:
    If you're going to use Kingdom Come, you have to remember that they state that the years Superman spent absorbing sunlight but not fighting have dramatically upped his invulnerability, to the point that a Kryptonite nuke wouldn't kill him. Captain Marvel has no such mentioned power-up. So the Shazam trick, which was highly effective against a much more invulnerable Supes, might well finish the current version off in one or two strikes, instead of the several used in Kingdom Come.
    Yeah, but Supes's deal with magic is that it treats him like a normal human. He's not weak to it, per se, it just equally dangerous to him as Calendar Man. His invulnerability doesn't mitigate any of it, supersoaked or not.

EDIT: Eh, come to think of it, this means that anybody could take six shots from a Shazam bolt, which I don't think that's the case. I'll have to ponder this.

bAm-BaM on
    marvelcrotchsig.jpg
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Uh

You people are forgetting something really really important

Supes and Cap still have goddamn metal in their blood

I distinctly remember Mags being able to influence people's bloodstreams due to their metallic content (like iron in human blood, and if Supes bleeds red he's got iron in his blood too).

So even if Mags doesn't just, like, rip their blood directly out their goddamn pores, he can still fuck with the blood in their hearts or brains or something. Even guys who are immune to bullets need their blood to flow in order to do stuff like live.

At the very least, Mags would either take down Bigby or watch the SuperTwins take down the wolf. He would then be able to put at least ONE out of comission before his defenses were overpowered (and it'd have to be straight punching or possibly heat vision, Cap's lightning won't exactly do much to a magnetic field). Even if he doesn't come out on top, it is entirely concieveable that he could pull off second.

Magneto has bitched up people like Wolverine in a single move and has gone toe-to-toe with heavyweights like En Sabah Nur and won, folks. He's very much a contender here.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    Magneto has bitched up people like Wolverine in a single move and has gone toe-to-toe with heavyweights like En Sabah Nur and won, folks. He's very much a contender here.

First off, I thought we all agreed about the bloodstream thing..he's not doing it. Second..NO shit he would school Wolverine. He only has that skeleton made of metal and all. Not a very good example my friend.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    except the iron in blood is non-magnetic...

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
    edited October 2006
    To be fair, fucking with someone's bloodstream is no more ridiculous than anything either of the Big Two can do.

We shouldn't really constrain Magneto's abilities, at least not in this fight where nobody else is bound by "science".

robosagogo on
  • NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    Magneto has bitched up people like Wolverine in a single move.

Well it helps that Wolverine has a ton of metal in him for Magneto to exploit.

And about fucking up their blood flow. Super hearts man.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well, he has a point. We agreed that he couldn't do the rip the metal out of your blood thing, but there is still a small concentration of metal in people's blood. He could give someone a clot or an embolus or a thrombosis or a heart attack or an aneurism or something. Something like that has to affect even someone like Captain Marvel or Superman.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited October 2006
    Olivaw wrote:
    Well, he has a point. We agreed that he couldn't do the rip the metal out of your blood thing, but there is still a small concentration of metal in people's blood. He could give someone a clot or an embolus or a thrombosis or a heart attack or an aneurism or something. Something like that has to affect even someone like Captain Marvel or Superman.

Manchester Black pushed bits of Superman's brains around, and it fucked him up, too, but only for under a minute. I sincerely doubt that Magneto could do anything worse than Manchester Black.

Spectre-x on
    edited October 2006
    Olivaw wrote:

This is what I'm getting at. Even if he can't de-blood them or something, it's still like, Supes and Cap can't do much if they suffer a stroke. Mags just needs to use the iron to cause a clot in their brain-pans or their aortas and they're in a bit of trouble.

And WTF, iron in blood is non-magnetic. It's metal, Magneto has been shown to be able to manipulate metal no matter where it is and I know he's done the blood thing at least once. I just can't recall precisely what issue right now.

My point about APOCALYPSE still stands, too. Magneto's playing on the same field here, guys.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
    edited October 2006
    Cap's lightning is magical. It would probably penetrate Magneto's field.

And Supes and Cap wouldn't really be bothered by a stroke, if Magneto could even give them one. They both have super-hearts pumping blood so hard no iron barrier could stop it for long enough to hurt them.

And pulling it out their pores is also a no-go, seeing as it would first have to come out of their arteries and veins and cappillaries, all of which are also invulnerable.

And both SUperman and Captain marvel are on a bit higher level of durability than Apocalypse, who was also made of metal, making it much easier for Magneto to rip him apart.

Spectre-x on
    edited October 2006
    Man, lightning is still ions, in the end, I still say Mags is immune.

As for the other stuff, you're making Scooter and I very, very sad, Spectre. :cry:

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, why does magical lightning get to pass through the magnetic barrier? There isn't anything inherent in magic that renders it immune, and does the Marvel competing in this fight even us his lightning to attack people?

robosagogo on
    edited October 2006
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    Man, lightning is still ions, in the end, I still say Mags is immune.

As for the other stuff, you're making Scooter and I very, very sad, Spectre. :cry:

Marvel's lightning is magical. Since when does magnetism counter magic? It can pass through Superman's forcefield, why not Magneto's?

Spectre-x on
    edited October 2006
    Superman's the only person I know of whose invulnerability doesn't work against magic. I think it's a special case.

And since when can't you counter magic with mangetism or of the other fundamental forces in the universe?

robosagogo on
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Superman's the only person I know of whose invulnerability doesn't work against magic. I think it's a special case.

And since when can't you counter magic with mangetism or of the other fundamental forces in the universe?

Because magic doesn't conform to the regular laws of physics.

Magic can harm the Silver Surfer, who wields the Power Cosmic. Why shouldn't it be able to hurt someone far more susceptible to harm, wielding a vastly inferior force, like Magneto?

Spectre-x on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    A vote that we figure out a way to kill either Superman or Marvel.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited October 2006
    Whose magic hurt the Silver Surfer? Mephisto's?

Or was it Thor's douchey lightning?

robosagogo on
  • HrakaHraka Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    marvel doesnt just shoot lightning at people right? he has to grab on to some one and say "shazam". so it doesnt really matter if the lightning can go through mags' force field marvel would have to be able to make it through first.

Hraka on
    I had a stick of Carefree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality
    edited October 2006
    Hraka wrote:
    marvel doesnt just shoot lightning at people right? he has to grab on to some one and say "shazam". so it doesnt really matter if the lightning can go through mags' force field marvel would have to be able to make it through first.
    And does this Captain Marvel do that, anyway? I've only see him use it in non-canon stories, and only against Superman.

robosagogo on
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Whose magic hurt the Silver Surfer? Mephisto's?

Or was it Thor's douchey lightning?
    Thor's lightning isn't magical. It's regular lightning.

Adaemus1sf on
    edited October 2006
    Hraka wrote:
    Couldn't Marvel get through Magneto's force field by moving up to Magneto at superspeed, before Magneto puts his shield up?

Adaemus1sf on
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So I was reading the JLA TPB Justice For All and during his fight with Triumph, who I've never heard of before, but they say his power is magnetic in nature, Superman, in a rather uncomfortable grappling position, warns Triumph not to siphon solar energy out of his cells because that would kill Supes and Triumph isn't a killer. I have no idea how that would work, but if Triumph can do it via magnetism, odds are Magneto can.

Second thing I thought of, Magneto is master of all parts of the EM spectrum, not just magnetism, although he finds that to be the easiest to deal with. Couldn't he just radiate the same sort of radiation a red sun puts out, then hit Superman with a car?
    Captain Marvel and Magneto win.

Seriously. Cap and Supes team up, this is a given, Cap goes after Bigby, Supes goes after Magneto. Magneto's forcefield (this thing stopped Galactus cold remember?) stops Supes momentarily, while Magneto grabs anything and everything metal in the surrounding battlefield and throws it at Supes, including that handy sword that Bigby came in the match holding. Supes doesn't deflect any of it because seriously, what's a hail of cars and bikes and manhole covers going to do to him? Oh shits, sword flies in with one wave of other crap and Supes gets snicker snacked.

Meanwhile Marvel dispatched Bigby after finding him, probably immediately after Bigby tries to catch the sword as it flies off, then proceeds to kick Magneto's ass after a few minutes to break through the forcefield.

I'm too lazy to type all this up again, but the bottom line is there are roughly three ways that Magneto can beat Superman.

Kane Red Robe on
  • HrakaHraka Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    Hraka wrote:
    Couldn't Marvel get through Magneto's force field by moving up to Magneto at superspeed, before Magneto puts his shield up?

Id Imagine that he could. But at the same time I doubt mags would walk into the fight with out the shield already up. Its seems sorta the same thing as marvel not walking in as billy

Hraka on
    I had a stick of Carefree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    i think if magneto's special item is a shitload of kick, he could be a contender

this is an actual suggestion guys! there's no rules against chemical enhancements, i think!

i mean hourman fought and he's one hell of a junkie

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited October 2006
    So I was reading the JLA TPB Justice For All and during his fight with Triumph, who I've never heard of before, but they say his power is magnetic in nature, Superman, in a rather uncomfortable grappling position, warns Triumph not to siphon solar energy out of his cells because that would kill Supes and Triumph isn't a killer. I have no idea how that would work, but if Triumph can do it via magnetism, odds are Magneto can.

Second thing I thought of, Magneto is master of all parts of the EM spectrum, not just magnetism, although he finds that to be the easiest to deal with. Couldn't he just radiate the same sort of radiation a red sun puts out, then hit Superman with a car?

Seriously. Cap and Supes team up, this is a given, Cap goes after Bigby, Supes goes after Magneto. Magneto's forcefield (this thing stopped Galactus cold remember?) stops Supes momentarily, while Magneto grabs anything and everything metal in the surrounding battlefield and throws it at Supes, including that handy sword that Bigby came in the match holding. Supes doesn't deflect any of it because seriously, what's a hail of cars and bikes and manhole covers going to do to him? Oh shits, sword flies in with one wave of other crap and Supes gets snicker snacked.

Meanwhile Marvel dispatched Bigby after finding him, probably immediately after Bigby tries to catch the sword as it flies off, then proceeds to kick Magneto's ass after a few minutes to break through the forcefield.

I'm too lazy to type all this up again, but the bottom line is there are roughly three ways that Magneto can beat Superman.

If Superman's brain is wiped, yes, and he completely forgets all about what happened in the first round, and if he decides he doesn't need to watch his opponent's videos.

Meaning it's not really a viable strategy unless Superman's brain is removed by, say, Mstron or something, for experiments.

Spectre-x on
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:

If Superman's brain is wiped, yes, and he completely forgets all about what happened in the first round, and if he decides he doesn't need to watch his opponent's videos.

Meaning it's not really a viable strategy unless Superman's brain is removed by, say, Mstron or something, for experiments.
    This is why I specified that it's in the middle of the likely unceasing hail of metal shit Magneto is grabbing and throwing at Superman. It's not just the sword by itself, it's the sword, 4 cars, a truck, seven bicycles, a manhole cover, a few steel girders, any change Bigby had in his pockets, etc.

Kane Red Robe on
    edited October 2006
    You think he's going to not notice the sword? Super speed, X-ray vision, knowledge that keeping an eye on that particular sword is very important, and he's gonna lose it in a hail of random stuff he doesn't need to worry about?

Adaemus1sf on
    edited October 2006
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    You think he's going to not notice the sword? Super speed, X-ray vision, knowledge that keeping an eye on that particular sword is very important, and he's gonna lose it in a hail of random stuff he doesn't need to worry about?
    The sheer amount of crap Magneto can move at one time is pretty staggering, I'd give fairly decent odds that the sword could get lost in there. It's not a sure thing, but it's the best scenario for taking down Supes that I can think of.

Kane Red Robe on
    edited October 2006
    Vorpal Sword wouldn't be in Bigby's video since he's never fought with it before. It's not like they list Batman's equipment in Superman's video, right, even though Superman's got as much of a connection to Batarangs as Bigby has to the Vorpal.

robosagogo on
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Vorpal Sword wouldn't be in Bigby's video since he's never fought with it before. It's not like they list Batman's equipment in Superman's video, right, even though Superman's got as much of a connection to Batarangs as Bigby has to the Vorpal.
    Superman fought Boy Blue with the Vorpal Sword in the first round. Bigby used the Sword in the previous round to move on. The recap of the first round even mentions that Superman knows to avoid the Vorpal Sword.

Adaemus1sf on
  • TofenheimerTofenheimer Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bigby did use the Vorpal Sword in the last round. Boy Blue also used it in front of Superman. Since Superman isn't retarded he could probably see that it's the same blade.

Tofenheimer on