As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2015 BYOC General Info

• Options
    DreggorDreggor [E] PAX East PC Room Deputy Registered User regular
    Dreggor wrote: »
    I know you guys are working hard on a tournament list. Is there a time period that those may soon come to light?
    Soon (tm)

With that in mind the BYOC admins have asked that I point everyone's attention to THIS survey. If all BYOC badge holders could fill it out that would super effective!

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Hey, got my show badges today but no BYOC badge. Do we have to pick those up at Will Call again this year?

It's cool if we do, just want to know for planning purposes.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    With that in mind the BYOC admins have asked that I point everyone's attention to THIS survey. If all BYOC badge holders could fill it out that would super effective!

My friends and I have filled that out but we have also produced a supplementary list of games we would like to see tournaments for: http://pastebin.com/THGSWa7Z

Thanks!

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    teebone8291teebone8291 Silicon Valley, CARegistered User regular
    i know but the only way i can get the week off is to be part working and part playing "is a buzz kill but i have no chose on this matter other then that or quit my job (which fund this trip.. aka pay for this trip)".. other question is can i bring my own firewall? (if i can i will bring the Palo alto PA-200 with me and set it up in my station)

From this year's East BYOC FAQ:

Q: Can I bring a switch or my own power strip to increase that?
    A: NO! No outside networking devices are allowed. Any spotted will be removed.

What's wrong with just using a VPN?

Depending on the mood of the network guys I would not even count on a VPN working unless it's an SSL vpn that uses a standard port. Even then I cannot make any promises to the quality or bandwidth.

agree, but i don't trust anything that is out of the SSl VPN too if it don't go though a that is give me a chance to get hack (and truse me i got hack before on this so im going full out) i don't trust much of the system out there...

• Options
    teebone8291teebone8291 Silicon Valley, CARegistered User regular
    i know but the only way i can get the week off is to be part working and part playing "is a buzz kill but i have no chose on this matter other then that or quit my job (which fund this trip.. aka pay for this trip)".. other question is can i bring my own firewall? (if i can i will bring the Palo alto PA-200 with me and set it up in my station)

This is a definite no-no and is against the BYOC rules about network equipment. If we see this we will disconnect your network port until it is removed, sorry.

that suck but rules are rules.. at least my hotel is close by and it look like i will have to mod something just in case...

• Options

My friends and I have filled that out but we have also produced a supplementary list of games we would like to see tournaments for: http://pastebin.com/THGSWa7Z

Thanks!

Rocket league is being looked at.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • Options
    WuShock wrote: »
    Hey, got my show badges today but no BYOC badge. Do we have to pick those up at Will Call again this year?

No, seriously. Should I be on the horn with the PAX people about my BYOC pass or is this a known issue?

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    email pax_questions@paxsite.com

• Options
    ToastedTriggerToastedTrigger Registered User regular

No, seriously. Should I be on the horn with the PAX people about my BYOC pass or is this a known issue?

I was also in a similar boat as you and I messaged them. They said the BYOC tickets have a separate shipment from the rest and will be arriving soon. Have faith! :)

• Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    if I order byoc passes now will I get them in time?

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    celycely Registered User regular
    S2000Gan wrote: »
    if I order byoc passes now will I get them in time?
    That's an excellent question for pax_questions@paxsite.com, I suspect they'll tell you to pick up your BYOC badge at Will Call if they can't ship them in time.

rqUHgCM.png
  • Options
    I would guess that is an accurate assessment.

• Options
    @Dreggor I have two more questions if I may:

1) Is the monitor size limit 24"?
    2) Will PAX Swag Bags be placed at each BYOC attendee's spot like in previous years?

I always thought it was a nice perk to have a swag bag for each BYOC attendee, saving us time from having to stand in the swag bag line.

rqUHgCM.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    cely wrote: »
    @Dreggor I have two more questions if I may:

1) Is the monitor size limit 24"?
    2) Will PAX Swag Bags be placed at each BYOC attendee's spot like in previous years?

I always thought it was a nice perk to have a swag bag for each BYOC attendee, saving us time from having to stand in the swag bag line.

1. 27" is the monitor limit.
    2. This is always a little bit of a gamble. We have to literally go to Queue under the cover of night and procure a bin of shwag bags for you guys. As with all PAX's I have been part, we will try to make this happen again.

Dreggor on
    -=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • Options
    thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    Just a heads up for anyone who was wondering about the status of BYOC passes... I got mine (and my regular passes as well... Separate shipments) today.

• Options
    I got mine today. I'm officially ready to pack up and go. It's okay if I do that right it's only .... three ... whole ... weeks off ....

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    I've been practice packing lol. I do it before I go on any trip. Make sure stuff will fit in certain bags so it's not a pain in the ass last minute.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Total n00b (mom) here:

We got a BYOC badge but our PAX badges are only for Saturday/Sunday. I realize that individuals are first come/first serve but when/how should we set up. This is for my 16 year old, btw. I doubt that he'd want to be without his precious machine all day Friday and, IIRC we wouldn't be able to get in to BYOC without a Friday badge anyway. Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks for any direction/advice you guys can give.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    vespachica wrote: »
    Total n00b (mom) here:

We got a BYOC badge but our PAX badges are only for Saturday/Sunday. I realize that individuals are first come/first serve but when/how should we set up. This is for my 16 year old, btw. I doubt that he'd want to be without his precious machine all day Friday and, IIRC we wouldn't be able to get in to BYOC without a Friday badge anyway. Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks for any direction/advice you guys can give.

Yes, you can't go to BYOC if you don't have that day's PAX badge. Your machine is allowed to stay in BYOC when when don't have a corresponding PAX badge, but you cannot go to it. So with only Sat/Sun, you are limited to showing up at BYOC Saturday and using it then and Sunday.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    OK, thanks. Assuming everyone who has a BYOC badge has a space that shouldn't be a problem, then.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    In addition, remember that only the BYOC badge holder gets in/out privileges to BYOC.

• Options
    If you bought 2 BYOC badges (which gives you 4 power outlets), can you bring 3 monitors as long as all 3 monitors fit within the table space of two seats?

rqUHgCM.png
  • Options
    I've seen lots of people do that before at pax east. I imagine you can also do it at prime.

• Options
    japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Any word yet on BenQ doing the monitor donation again? having those 24" monitors at BYOC worked really awesome! -Doh, thanks. ;)

japerry on
    7jIDTca.png
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    cely wrote: »
    @Dreggor Will BenQ monitors be loaned out again this year?

So far we have been told that there will be no BenQ loaners. If I hear differently you all will be the very first to know but at this point I would not count on it.

PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Can anyone organizing byoc let me know if the BYOC badges my GF ordered on the 5th are shipped? Thanks!

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    Can anyone organizing byoc let me know if the BYOC badges my GF ordered on the 5th are shipped? Thanks!

I would personally guess that this close to pax those would be will-call pickup.

• Options
    Out of curiosity, will there be another gaming Olympics-styled tournament like last year? I enjoyed that style of friendly competition and it got everyone to participate in events.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »

I would personally guess that this close to pax those would be will-call pickup.

I tried, got a auto reply email "This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

pax_questions@paxsite.com"

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I would double check your email.

I just sent an email to pax_questions@paxsite.com and it appeared to go through fine.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Any news on what games we should install/update ahead of time for tournaments or contests yet?

Also, will we be getting instructions on how to locate the entrance we are supposed to use on Friday to bring in our gear?

• Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    thr4sher wrote: »
    Any news on what games we should install/update ahead of time for tournaments or contests yet?

Also, will we be getting instructions on how to locate the entrance we are supposed to use on Friday to bring in our gear?

You use the Annex entrance to bring in your gear. It's across the street from the main entrance and up a blockish. You will see green coats inside the doors checking badges.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Alright well I tried again and for some reason it seems to have gone through this time even though i sent it to the exact same email *shrug* now to wait for a response

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    Weird, maybe their mailbox was full

• Options

Assuming it's the same as the past few years, the line starts at these doors and wraps around the corner:

http://i.imgur.com/0zUHGpx.png

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options

Assuming it's the same as the past few years, the line starts at these doors and wraps around the corner:

http://i.imgur.com/0zUHGpx.png

This is still the door.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • Options
    Question is can we get a byoc only line? Real pain having to transport computers and monitors.

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    Question is can we get a byoc only line? Real pain having to transport computers and monitors.

The line I mentioned above is a BYOC-only line.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    Isn't the Annex the secondary entrance now since the que hall is gone? Byoc, for the first day, will be needing a separate line so we can set-up at 8am. Or at least this is my hope.

• Options
    Isn't the Annex the secondary entrance now since the que hall is gone? Byoc, for the first day, will be needing a separate line so we can set-up at 8am. Or at least this is my hope.

That hasn't been an issue in the past because they don't open the escalator from the annex up to the expo hall until 30-60 minutes after PAX opens. Even though there isn't a queue room this year, I don't expect to see non-BYOC people lining up.

row1.pngrow2.png