As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comixperimentation lab

2»

• MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    Read this comic on Tapastic, "Memory of Color," and thought of the thread. It's not way out there in terms of narrative, but I liked how it said what it wanted to say.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    An experiment in physical comics, I have no sense of what's good poetry but I tried.
    nw80929fekys.jpg

l4605m3x1jvi.jpg

ee28qijex3mg.jpg

7vu2ycnqv0j9.jpg

b6ydlujnaqs5.jpg

It also came out looking way too design'ish. In retrospect I probably should have included some actual drawing, would have made it more fun to make as well.

• AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Hints of Anders Nilsen and Dash Shaw, I like it! This could be the the prelude to something with figures, maybe
    Declaration.jpg

Agentflit on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i'm a big fan of john cage and chance operations so here's a comic that was made in part with dice rolls

tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho1_500.jpg

tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho2_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho3_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho4_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho5_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho6_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho7_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho8_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho9_540.jpg
    tumblr_nsio51Qxmc1qap36ho10_540.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    nearing the end of this comic, time to procrastinate and screw around with the layers

20klooptf642.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    I made this comic for a different part of the forums, but hey, it's the first comic I have made in a long time.

...even if it is just me cropping photos I found via google image search.

snow_white_shit_wordless.jpg

have you guys seen aseyn's work? it's gorgeous and i wanna try using color the way they do

tumblr_nroylpaBI11s5t9ago1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ns1r3tdS3K1s5t9ago1_1280.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
    That looks so rad I had to try something similar to it.
    tumblr_nt1c64ERFQ1s37o1ho1_1280.png

I wanted to keep the subtle gradiations in the original ink, so I had to make two layers of lineart, one that I'd deleted all of the white from, which I used to control the color, and then a second one on top that controlled the value.

currently lettering with a nib stuck onto a finishing nail cos i have no idea where the rest of my pen set is

uc3ufTB.png
    edited September 2015
    Frank Santoro is currently crowdfunding a school for comics in Pittsburgh, that does exactly these kinds of experiments, just wanted to put it out there if anyone's interested. Google 'Comics workbook school' for more. (hope this doesn't count as advertising, just wanted to put it out there)

m3nace on
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    What. I'm in Pittsburgh. Lookin that shit up.

edited September 2015
    acadia wrote: »
    What. I'm in Pittsburgh. Lookin that shit up.
    Dude! CHECK THIS OUT THEN! GO GO GO
    edit: I'll admit i'm a little jelly, pittsburgh seems like the place to be for alt comics right now from Ed Piskor through Frank Santoro to Jim Rugg. You should check out copacetic comics as well, it's kind of a meeting place for some of those guys, but defo go to the comics salon.

m3nace on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2015
    This isn't quite in the spirit of the thread, but while I was cleaning out some boxes at my parents house I found some ancient comic art from like a decade ago, and it seemed like the most apt place to put it.

k7t8s9nz4e3y.jpgsd6szkdgblti.jpg5rojiuphuhvu.jpg
    ybjezyqovrq5.jpgcokxuswcp33g.jpg7zfev0lghhra.jpg
    1f1u9h79y6ou.jpgje5hqgfqtx2e.jpgn5p3xclco2ed.jpg

tynic on
    color outside the lines

tumblr_nwmr7mTaoy1qcldugo1_1280.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
    Woah, rad. It's like looking at a soundtrack.

yeah, that's exactly the way dash shaw talks about it, approaching color like the score of a movie

uc3ufTB.png
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    That's very pretty. Misc. What was your process for that?

ah i was just passing it along, picture links to the source

uc3ufTB.png
    I made this last week. I spent two days on finding a memory I could turn into an autobiographical story set in another time period, and then three days on writing and drawing it! The assignment was two do at least two pages, but I figured with quick gestural drawings and a 3 panel layout I could make a zine in three days haha! I highly recommend this assignment, it's a pretty good way to get some distance from your memories that makes it easier to fictionalize them.
    tumblr_nxp7nfTDSE1s37o1ho10_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7nfTDSE1s37o1ho2_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7nfTDSE1s37o1ho6_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7nfTDSE1s37o1ho4_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7nfTDSE1s37o1ho3_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7nfTDSE1s37o1ho7_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7nfTDSE1s37o1ho8_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7nfTDSE1s37o1ho1_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7nfTDSE1s37o1ho9_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7nfTDSE1s37o1ho5_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7n6LonS1s37o1ho7_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7n6LonS1s37o1ho4_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7n6LonS1s37o1ho5_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7n6LonS1s37o1ho9_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7n6LonS1s37o1ho1_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7n6LonS1s37o1ho3_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7n6LonS1s37o1ho2_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7n6LonS1s37o1ho6_540.jpg
    tumblr_nxp7n6LonS1s37o1ho8_540.jpg

Comics don't have to take billions of years to make!

I guess I could add some of the thoughts behind my process:
    Firstly, all of this was drawn without sketching and so that's why I initially chose to make it only 3 panels per page, in case I screw up one drawing - not as in if it was badly drawn but if it just didn't feel like I wanted it to feel - I could just chuck the page and begin anew. I like the idea of using color to almost act like a soundtrack like in the page misc posted and that's kind of what I went for with the yellow pages that focus only on landscapes. To me when I put it there it felt like there's something like a constant tone being played or something. The scissor page was actually one of the last pages I did, because I didn't actually have a page there to begin with, but it kind of felt like the story needed a beat just to make it clear that something was being perpetrated. I was thinking of the scissor clip in Moonrise kingdom when I did that https://youtu.be/-I8i2rb_u4A?t=89 but due to the 3 panel layout it got a nice rhythm to it instead of being as instantaneous as the moonrise kingdom clip.

• beckerskullsbeckerskulls Registered User regular
    Okay, sometimes I make little comics with my husband when we're just sitting or waiting somewhere. He'll usually start, then I'll draw a panel or two, then give it back. He's never drawn much and my scribbles aren't too pretty, but it can be a fun exercise. Sometimes I manage to create too much pressure for myself even with this simple format, but that's just me being ridiculous.

ice%20cream.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    vhzl20dpedqv.jpgdgzuznpchzzq.jpg

Im thinking about making stupid poorly drawn comics when I cant sleep like I used to.

Haha, neat dawg. Yea, do that! Worth checking out Mickey Zacchilli for awesome looking "poorly drawn" stuff:
    img099.jpg
    DSC04466.jpg

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    @Iruka, if that's the habit that produced those shark comics a while back, then you definitely should!

edited December 2015
    mickey z is great, i saw that one review of venom #1 on tumblr and went and bought it basically immediately

e: also hi, i haven't made any comics since september. i need to do stuff this winter

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    omg i bought tht mickey venom comic at SPX this year. so good!!!

• MacMcCrackMacMcCrack Duchess of Manboob Wherever mediocrity is celebratedRegistered User regular
    m3nace wrote: »
    That looks so rad I had to try something similar to it.
    tumblr_nt1c64ERFQ1s37o1ho1_1280.png

I wanted to keep the subtle gradiations in the original ink, so I had to make two layers of lineart, one that I'd deleted all of the white from, which I used to control the color, and then a second one on top that controlled the value.
    Love that!

comicrocket%20banner.jpg
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    One day I'll make a comic, BUT I just came across Andrew Hem's work again and reminded me of the pastel color themes going on in this thread lately so I thought I'd share.
    84_moveslowandsteady24x43.jpg
    78_closetotheedge24x42.jpg

Prospicience on
    Forum post
    tumblr_o39e14DJ5w1s37o1ho1_540.png

@m3nace I hope you post all the shit that you do in Pittsburgh in here, because I love this thread.

edited April 2016
    I definitely will, or at least process posts and whatnot since Frank's gonna mentor me while I work on something publishable or something like that.

Anyways, I worked together with my friend Nilas on this comic for refugee children over the last weekend. We both wrote the story and he drew it while I colored it.
    We spoke to Tom K. from Uncivlized books yesterday, he had seen it and said that if we could make it into a 40 page book he would maybe publish it for his childrens' book imprint so maybe we'll expand upon it at some point.
    tumblr_o569if4XeL1s37o1ho9_1280.png
    tumblr_o569if4XeL1s37o1ho7_1280.png
    tumblr_o569if4XeL1s37o1ho5_1280.png
    tumblr_o569if4XeL1s37o1ho1_1280.png
    tumblr_o569if4XeL1s37o1ho4_1280.png
    tumblr_o569if4XeL1s37o1ho6_1280.png
    tumblr_o569if4XeL1s37o1ho8_1280.png
    tumblr_o569if4XeL1s37o1ho2_1280.png
    tumblr_o569if4XeL1s37o1ho3_1280.png

m3nace on
    I said this on tumblr already, but that is super rad