As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Grammar Police

WarhavenWarhaven Registered User new member
I've noticed a recurring typo in the comic, and I don't know if it's either ignorance or done on purpose to annoy grammar nazis like myself, but in this week's comic, 2nd cell, 2nd dialog bubble, the wrong "its" is used again.

-Rob

Warhaven on

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's used correctly.

It's = it is
    Its = posessive form of it

In the comic, it's saying "It is powerful."

I has an irony.

Edit: and the other one which I missed is correct too.
    Edit2: typo

MKR on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I mean think about how "...it is anal glands..." sounds.

"It probably just needs it is anal glands expressed."

Look at it.

MKR on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Has it been changed? because i'm sure i saw the same thing earlier, then thought someone would bother making a big thing about it. When i went back because of this thread, it all read correctly. Either way, Gabe and Tycho don't really read the forums, and it's not an issue that warrants much attention anyway.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It got corrected. Originally it said "needs it's anal glands". I just noticed my cache had that version - when I hit refresh it corrected itself to the proper "needs its anal glands".

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wouldn't usage of the wrong "its" actually be an error in punctuation, and not grammar?

Why yes, I believe it would be.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Wouldn't usage of the wrong "its" actually be an error in punctuation, and not grammar?

How is it an error in punctuation? "Its" is possessive whereas "It's" means "It is". There's no punctuational component to "its" so I can't see how it's wrong.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I LOVE IT!

Let me take a shot at correcting corrections:
    MKR wrote: »
    It's used correctly.

It's = it is
    Its = [possessive form] of it

I has an irony.

"IT" is singular and can be used to reference single objects or many as a whole. You'd have to say "they" to actually imply many "its" or whatever because "its" is not pural.

CZroe on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Aegis wrote: »

How is it an error in punctuation? "Its" is possessive whereas "It's" means "It is". There's no punctuational component to "its" so I can't see how it's wrong.

I believe he is referring to the apostrophe, but whatever. The whole "its"/"it's" thing doesn't bother me as much as loose/lose and too/to, which are far more common mistakes. Oh, and for extra AP Style points having to change all instances of U.S. with United States, because U.S. is the adjective while the United States is the noun.

Invisible on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Aegis wrote: »

There IS a punctuational component that has been removed to avoid confusion between meaning. Adding it back is a punctuation error considering the special case lack of punctuation. The fact that it creates a different set of words with a different meaning does not negate that it is simply the improper punctuation that is otherwise proper (apostrophes go before a letter "s" to make possessivve forms) forming it.

A contraction in place of a special-case possessive can form an invalid sentence structure for the reader. It's not the reader's error, it's the writer. From the writer's perspective, it is a punctuation error due to failure to observe a well-known "special case" rule.

CZroe on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    I LOVE IT!

Let me take a shot at correcting corrections:
    MKR wrote: »
    It's used correctly.

It's = it is
    Its = [possessive form] of it

I has an irony.

"IT" is singular and can be used to reference single objects or many as a whole. You'd have to say "they" to actually imply many "its" or whatever because "its" is not pural.

That was a typo. I meant posessive.

MKR on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I swear to god, you people make me embarrassed to be a grammar nazi.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.