As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D&D at PAX AU

solomanisolomani Sydney, AURegistered User regular
I know its a bit early but I definitely saw plenty of people playing all sorts of different editions at the last two PAX'. So curious is this organised at all or is it just random DMs grabbing seats and first come first serve? Do I bring my own character or the expectation is the DM will give you a pregen?

I'd be keen to join a game this year with 5e out since I had no interest in 4e and so veered away from D&D at PAX. Especially if WoTC doesn't organise anything official.

Thanks in advance.

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I'll likely bring stuff if I am able to attend Aus this year.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    solomani wrote: »
    I know its a bit early but I definitely saw plenty of people playing all sorts of different editions at the last two PAX'. So curious is this organised at all or is it just random DMs grabbing seats and first come first serve? Do I bring my own character or the expectation is the DM will give you a pregen?

I'd be keen to join a game this year with 5e out since I had no interest in 4e and so veered away from D&D at PAX. Especially if WoTC doesn't organise anything official.

I'm not sure what is planned officially at this point, but there are often officially organized games at PAX as well as various non-official games of various types (not just D&D).

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Registered User regular
    I was thinking of bringing some Adventurers League stuff with me for 5e this year. It will be my first ever PAX and Im coming over from Perth so obviously wont be able to carry a lot of stuff with me.

• SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I saw that there was official and non-official stuff happening. The sign up sheet usually has info on game start times etc. There's usually plenty of games available, including dnd based, and of course they're happy for you to bring in your own and start setting up. When you're ready to play - you could put it on twitter with a hashtag or organise an event on facebook or some such if you want to set up before hand.

• MerricBMerricB Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    G'day!

I'm the D&D Adventurers League Local Co-ordinator for Victoria, and I'm currently putting together a program of D&D for PAX Aus. How many tables, and what games will they be running? Not entirely sure yet. Running four tables throughout PAX requires 10 DMs to commit to it, and though I'm pretty certain I can get that many, it'll be tricky getting more. (Or I might be surprised).

We'll end up running a selection of D&D Expeditions adventures. Certainly some of the one-hour adventures from DDEX03-01 Harried in Hillsfar, but possibly some of the longer adventures as well depending on demand. Please let me know what you'd like to play and I'll try to organise it!

Anyone wishing to help would be greatly appreciated; you can email me at merricb@yahoo.co.uk or catch me on Facebook. The Australian AL group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DNDALAPAC/ I will keep an eye on this thread as well. :)

More as I manage to hammer down the details.

(I'm sure there will be other non-AL games as well...)

Just a note: Wizards doesn't organise *any* official D&D games anywhere. Even the games at GenCon are organised by another organisation. The D&D Adventurers League games here in Australia are organised and run by volunteers, so while we have access to the exclusive adventure content, we're not getting support otherwise.

Cheers,
    Merric Blackman
    D&D Adventurers League Local Co-ordinator, Victoria

MerricB on
  • solomanisolomani Sydney, AURegistered User regular
    Hey Merric! That's great news. I've been DMing since I was 10 *cough*32years*cough* but I would be hesitent to run total strangers through an adventure before trying it out as a player first. Having never done it "in public" before. Joined your Facebook group but please post here once you have a signup mechanism setup. Thanks for the hard work.

We're about the same age and have been playing about the same amount of time! I've been running D&D Encounters in my local store for the past five or so years, so I've gotten somewhat accustomed for running for people I don't know, but this is going to be a bit different...

Should be fun, though!

Cheers,
    Merric

• NZLionNZLion Auckland, New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I only started playing D&D around new-years and have been playing with the same group since. The whole idea of a pickup game seems really foreign to me. How does that work? Like solomani asked, do you use prerolled characters or do people bring their own?
    I'm interested in checking out a game at PAX AUS, but in some ways the prospect strikes me as a little intimidating!

Looks like you can do either - they will provide pre-gens or you can bring your own. But since I am a novice I'll depend on the DM/table to provide pre-gens. Will also have my two eldest with me, just easier to have pregens on the spot. I may change my mind if very specific character creation guidelines are given.

We'll have pregenerated characters available at the event. I'm currently in the process of creating them - I'm trying to make them in a format that will be easy for new players to use.

You can see my current efforts here on my personal homepage: http://merricb.com/dd-adventurers-league/rage-of-demons/

You can also create your own characters and bring them to the event. The full guidelines are available in the D&D Adventurers Player's Guide, available here: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/events/adventurers-league-resources

The short version is: no evil characters, no rolled ability scores (use point buy). New characters must begin at level 1 with no experience points; however, you could play a character you've already used in other D&D Adventurers League games (at your local store, for instance, if it runs them).

The adventures we'll be offering will come from the Rage of Demons season of the D&D Expeditions line.

We'll be running four tables throughout the convention (running 11 am-11 pm Friday and Saturday and 11am-5pm on Sunday).

My current plan is (and is still subject to change)

* Two tables will be holding 1-hour sessions playing through scenarios from DDEX03-01 Harried in Hillsfar
    * One table will be holding 2-hour sessions playing through DDEX03-05 Bane of the Trade Way or DDEX03-06 No Foolish Matter
    * One table will be alternating between 4-hour sessions playing through DDEX03-02 Shackles of Blood and 2-hour sessions playing through DDEX03-05 Bane of the Trade Way.

Only four tables? I'm not sure if that's "not enough" or "way too many"! :) The fact of the matter is that to run those tables for the entire convention requires 10 DMs! I've got the DMs signed up now, and it may be we offer more tables in future years. Still judging what demand will be like.

There may be other tables running D&D 5E as well; I'll let you know if I find out.

If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know.

Cheers,
    Merric Blackman
    D&D Adventurers League Local Co-ordinator, Victoria
    merricb@yahoo.co.uk

Oh, one other thing:
    DDEX03-01 is for level 1 or 2 characters.
    The other adventures are for levels 1-4 characters.

I'll have a couple of level 5-10 adventures at the event if there's the demand, but given new characters have to begin at level 1, it seems prudent to keep our main offerings to levels 1-4 only. :)

(The characters you play in these games can be taken to any other DDAL event...)

Cheers,
    Merric

I've gotten confirmation that there will be even more D&D at PAX Aus than just what we'll be offering. There'll be more news when we know it! :)

Cheers,
    Merric

• dicefistdicefist Registered User regular
    Ant's early edition D&D games at PAX AU 2013&14 were worth the price of admission, the rest of PAX is gravy. Hands down the two single greatest sessions of D&D I've played in. And with my youngest son at the table with us it's like a time machine back to days when loading a video game meant putting a cassette into the C64, pressing play and crossing your fingers. I simply cannot overstate how awesome this man is. He is, OUR DUNGEON MASTER. All others are merely minding his spot until PAX AU BABY!

Hi Merric, that sounds awesome! Planing to play all sessions with my kids - 12 and 10 year old. I assume its OK to bring my kids along? They have been playing 5e since it came out so are as veteran as anyone can be in 5e - they currently have level 12 characters in my Iron Gods Adventure Path game. Please let me know when/how we can signup!

Hi, any update on sign-ups? Thanks.

• vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'll look to play at least one session depending on the schedule. Most likely after exhibit hall closes.

Sorry for the lack of updates; the last month has been hectic (and not in a good way). I'm just double-checking the schedule with my volunteer DMs, and then I'll let you all know what my side of D&D is doing... :)

Cheers,
    Merric

Thanks Merric.

Okay, schedule is (barring any late changes):

All adventures are D&D 5th edition. We will provide pregenerated characters, or you can bring your own that are constructed to D&D AL Rules (and are in the proper levels).

DDAL Table 1: "DDEX3-1 Harried in Hillsfar" - 1 hour. (an introduction to D&D for character levels 1-2)
    Friday: Starting every hour 11am-10pm (last session finishes 11pm)
    Saturday: Starting every hour 11am-10pm (last session finishes 11pm)
    Sunday: Starting every hour 11am-4pm (last session finishes 5 pm)

DDAL Table 2: "DDEX3-1 Harried in Hillsfar" - 1 hour. (an introduction to D&D for character levels 1-2)
    Friday: Starting every hour 11am-10pm (last session finishes 11pm)
    Saturday: Starting every hour 11am-10pm (last session finishes 11pm)
    Sunday: Starting every hour 11am-4pm (last session finishes 5 pm)

DDAL Table 3: "DDEX3-5 Bane of the Trade Ways" - 2 hours. (character levels 1-4)
    Friday: Starting every two hours: 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, 9 pm.
    Saturday: Starting every two hours: 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, 9 pm.
    Sunday: 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm

DDAL Table 4 on Friday & Saturday: "DDEX3-2 Shackles of Blood" - 4 hours. (character levels 1-4)
    Friday: Starting every four hours: 11 am, 3 pm, 7 pm.
    Saturday: Starting every two hours: 11 am, 3 pm, 7 pm.

DDAL Table 4 on Sunday: "DDEX3-5 Bane of the Trade Ways" - 2 hours. (character levels 1-4)
    Sunday: 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm

Tables will seat up to 6 players. (We'll provide the DM). We'll also have an information table where you can sign-up for events.

Please email me on merricb@yahoo.co.uk if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
    Merric Blackman
    DDAL Local Co-ordinator, Victoria.

U. DA. MAN. Email sent! Out of interest do you know roughly where the tables will be or too early?

They'll be in the Tabletop area, but more than that I can't say! We should have five tables - one for signing up & information, and four of games.

For those interested in the content of the adventures, here are some synopses:

DDEX3-1 Harried in Hillsfar - There are strange occurrences in the lands around Hillsfar and the peaceful village of Elventree. You and your friends investigate some of these events, which a mad-man (or possibly a prophet) has told you about. One thing is for certain, however: it won't be entirely safe! An one-hour adventure for character levels 1 and 2.

DDEX3-2 Shackles of Blood - You have heard reports of halfling and elven farmers going missing from the settlements around Hillsfar. You need to find out if those rumours are true - and if they're true, to find out what's happening to the farmers! A four-hour adventure for character levels 1-4.

DDEX3-5 Bane of the Tradeways - Times are hard in the Hillsfar countryside, especially for those of non-human ancestry. Unscrupulous merchants in league with the hated Red Plumes bleed local farmers and artisans dry. Perhaps some of those loot-laden caravans coming and going from Hillsfar could use a bit of liberation? A two-hour adventure for character levels 1-4.

We'll have character sheets, dice, pencils and a Dungeon Master - we just need players! :) Send me an e-mail: merricb@yahoo.co.uk if you want to know more!

(Harried is actually 5 mini-adventures, of which we'll run one at PAX.)

Cheers,
    Merric

• maddybt90maddybt90 Registered User new member
    edited October 2015
    Awesome! Do we have to sign up on the day, or can we put our name down beforehand? I'm so keen for one of the Sunday Bane of the Tradeways games.

maddybt90 on
    Send me an e-mail and I'll add you to the booking sheet. :)

• TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Registered User regular
    You want to play on my Shackles of Blood table. There will be Shackles and... blood!

• vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'd like to reserve a spot in the10pm Saturday Hillsfar game please.

GG to all the organizers of this I and my family had a lot of fun.

Too early to start pestering for 2016 signup?

:P

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Not sure if it's too early, but I would hope the organizer will post a new thread for 2016 when the time comes