As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games]: Meeples, Minis, Dice, Cards and Tokens galore!

19596979899101»

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    If we really want a new thread now, I can make it, and probably slowly revamp the op over the next few days. And hey, we could use the new thread for feedback on the OP!

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I like having the blurbs on thread regulars' tastes, but they could conceivably be stored somewhere other than the OP. Maybe just a list of BGG user names? Possibly a BGG group (or guild or whatever the term is in their Labyrinth of obfuscation).

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Personally, the part of that SU&SD news post I found most fascinating was that insane video about an abstract war game designed by a French situationist, and how the game can apparently be used to train the militants of the coming cybernetic communist revolution?

A big bowl of [wat] and I say that as a real life dirty commie.

Wut

Is this some high-level joke on the intelligentsia who praise abstract games? I can't comprehend someone being this serious about what I'm seeing.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    We need to update the OP a bit, I think. I don't think there are any games from the past year on it, plus there are a few out-of-print games on it too. @Jergarmer , I'll send you some suggestions.

• jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    cpugeek13 wrote: »
    We need to update the OP a bit, I think. I don't think there are any games from the past year on it, plus there are a few out-of-print games on it too. @Jergarmer , I'll send you some suggestions.

Yeah, I would welcome it. I've started gathering a list of stuff to remove, which won't take that long, and at least put stubs in for some new stuff. But I'm on it!

EDIT:
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    If we really want a new thread now, I can make it, and probably slowly revamp the op over the next few days. And hey, we could use the new thread for feedback on the OP!

I just read this. I have no problem with someone else starting a new OP, but if you're just reposting the existing one, I'm already on it.
    c7a9c074f631d34ddeca8870c863439b1228b8d1592f6e6b5a0dcf7f946f16b4.jpg

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Personally, the part of that SU&SD news post I found most fascinating was that insane video about an abstract war game designed by a French situationist, and how the game can apparently be used to train the militants of the coming cybernetic communist revolution?

A big bowl of [wat] and I say that as a real life dirty commie.

Wut

Is this some high-level joke on the intelligentsia who praise abstract games? I can't comprehend someone being this serious about what I'm seeing.

Depends, does it have a points protractor?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    cpugeek13 wrote: »

Yeah, I would welcome it. I've started gathering a list of stuff to remove, which won't take that long, and at least put stubs in for some new stuff. But I'm on it!

EDIT:
    ChaosHat wrote: »

I just read this. I have no problem with someone else starting a new OP, but if you're just reposting the existing one, I'm already on it.
    c7a9c074f631d34ddeca8870c863439b1228b8d1592f6e6b5a0dcf7f946f16b4.jpg

I've no problem either way, I'm willing to do it, but I have number theory homework to do right now so any editing I will do will occur tomorrowish.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Picked up all the Adventure Time: Card Wars decks on Friday and got a chance to play BMO's Useless Swamp deck v Finn's Plains deck. I like the lane concept and action system. The cards are great and there are fun and interesting interactions to be had in the decks we played. Plains definitely felt like a MTG Blue deck and the Useless Swamps played like a Black deck with a bit of Red. I'm interested to see how Jake and Rainicorn's decks play. I really like it because it combines the feel and humor of a great show (Adventure Time) with some interesting mechanics for a card game. I'm not sure how much my love of the show is coloring my happiness with the game, but my wife walked away from the first game saying she really liked it and wanted to play again, so there's that.

Is tapping cards flooping? And can you floop the pig?

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Picked up all the Adventure Time: Card Wars decks on Friday and got a chance to play BMO's Useless Swamp deck v Finn's Plains deck. I like the lane concept and action system. The cards are great and there are fun and interesting interactions to be had in the decks we played. Plains definitely felt like a MTG Blue deck and the Useless Swamps played like a Black deck with a bit of Red. I'm interested to see how Jake and Rainicorn's decks play. I really like it because it combines the feel and humor of a great show (Adventure Time) with some interesting mechanics for a card game. I'm not sure how much my love of the show is coloring my happiness with the game, but my wife walked away from the first game saying she really liked it and wanted to play again, so there's that.

Is tapping cards flooping? And can you floop the pig?

Kind of. Many cards cards have a FLOOP ability, which basically taps them.

When creatures attack at the end of the turn, they activate and turn to signify they attacked, but they don't trigger abilities that trigger on FLOOPing.

And yes, you can floop the pig. He destroys corn landscapes, which can be a *bitch* since you need to spot landscapes to be able to play cards of specific types.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited March 2014
    Okay, official announcement: new thread going up TONIGHT. A lot of the content will be the same, but I'm redoing the intro and category headers.

EDIT:
    I like having the blurbs on thread regulars' tastes, but they could conceivably be stored somewhere other than the OP. Maybe just a list of BGG user names? Possibly a BGG group (or guild or whatever the term is in their Labyrinth of obfuscation).

I dunno, I kind of like the blurbs. Plus, I think that a lot of people come to this thread instead of trying to navigate BGG. I have no problem changing the format, though. If you have an idea, just message me. If you want to host it somewhere else, I would certainly link to it.

jergarmar on
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Okay, official announcement: new thread going up TONIGHT. A lot of the content will be the same, but I'm redoing the intro and category headers.

EDIT:

I dunno, I kind of like the blurbs. Plus, I think that a lot of people come to this thread instead of trying to navigate BGG. I have no problem changing the format, though. If you have an idea, just message me. If you want to host it somewhere else, I would certainly link to it.

I like the blurbs too! I was just saying I'd be open to other formats, not that I personally wanted them to be elsewhere. Sorry that wasn't really clear.

A BGG group I do think could be cool, though. If nothing else, it allows you to make a group preferences list as an aggregate of members' personal ratings. I don't know how it's done exactly but r/boardgames has one and I just thought it was cool. Plus, do you want those guys to have better list-technology than we do? We can't allow a rating-gap. Better dead than red(ditor).

EDIT:

I like the blurbs too! I was just saying I'd be open to other formats, not that I personally wanted them to be elsewhere. Sorry that wasn't really clear.

A BGG group I do think could be cool, though. If nothing else, it allows you to make a group preferences list as an aggregate of members' personal ratings. I don't know how it's done exactly but r/boardgames has one and I just thought it was cool. Plus, do you want those guys to have better list-technology than we do? We can't allow a rating-gap. Better dead than red(ditor).

Oohhhhh a group preferences list? That would be pretty cool. I may have to look into that.

My BoardGameGeek profile
    I don't know if it's a home-made script or something built into BGG, but they somehow get the average of all members of the groups' ratings and output that as a nice continually updating list in their subreddit's sidebar.

edited March 2014
    I don't know if it's a home-made script or something built into BGG, but they somehow get the average of all members of the groups' ratings and output that as a nice continually updating list in their subreddit's sidebar.

Even if it's something I have to script up, I'm a programmer by trade so it doesn't scare me too much.

EDIT: After midnight is still tonight... right? Almost there!

EDIT2: NEW THREAD UP! It's still a bit of a work in progress, but you'll notice some changes. Especially a section in the first post with the newer games. Might need help filling that out. For now it's sleepy time.

jergarmar on
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • GrieforGloryGrieforGlory Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Anyone here heard of or played any megagames like Watch the Skies?

www.MyMegaGame.com The Ultimate World Leaders Political Science MegaGame
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Watched the Shut Up & Sit Down videos. Looks real neat and extremely exhausting.

This discussion has been closed.