As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avali's Portfolio Adventure

avaliavali Registered User new member
edited August 2015 in Artist's Corner
Hi guys! My name's Avali and I'm a self-taught artist finally trying to buckle down and get a professional portfolio cranked out so I can start applying to studios. My dream job is working as a concept artist, so if you have any advice or concrit to give me in that direction, I'd seriously appreciate it! This is the first time I'm putting together a portfolio and while I have a general idea of what should be in it, any suggestions for what I can do to strengthen my work would be awesome. Thanks! Heads up that some of these are a little dated because I'm coming off a rotater cuff injury.

4BDf3Wg.png
cMjV8nE.png

Pass 1: link
Pass 2:
IZG7S6K.png
tumblr_mzrzh7O0zQ1tqfu3bo1_1280.jpg
5VcPNKR.png
tumblr_mzs2673sed1tqfu3bo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_mzs0n5s5mx1tqfu3bo2_1280.jpg

avali on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yo man! Welcome to the AC.

I think you have some good stuff going on here. Since this isn't a full glimpse of your portfolio its sorta hard to point you in a particular direction. The characters look strong, I like alot of the shape language you have. These all seem really loose, so getting a better Idea of what you would do if you had to differentiate materials more particularly would be nice. Like, even in the rough stuff, if you have a good Idea of how to render feathers/fur/metal/wood, you'll be able to pull some tricks to put the highlights in the right place and such.

The environment thumbnails seem a little uninspired.

If you are portfolio building, its a good time to make some assignments for yourself, think of some of the jobs you want, work on your website and your branding, list out the companies you want to work for and the jobs you see available and try to position yourself to apply to specific things. I'll leave the actual industry people to make more specific tips about all that, though!

Hope your shoulder gets better! Keep posting when you can.

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Iruka really said it well, but I wanted to chime in and say I love your characters! The costume design and the shapes are excellent. Your loose yet confident approach is very appealing too!

Glad you could join us, welcome to the AC!

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    How are you distributing this portfolio? Is it online, in person or by mail?