As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SchlitzKrieg 2015! Beer-->Here (Brewery Tour):

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Update on the van situation: After all of that hullabaloo, it turns out that the Sprinter van place only has one 15-passenger van (we need two). They've got some 12-passenger sprinter vans, but they don't have TVs and after looking at photos online, they don't look any wider than the regular vans - they've just got posh seats - so we'd still be uncomfortable and cramped.

I've put two of the normal Ford 15p vans on reserve, and if I find another Sprinter place in the area I'll look into it, but for some reason we don't really have those for rent up here - there are party vans that come with a driver but they're like $200/hr. Fuck that noise.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • DMB2015DMB2015 Registered User new member
    I'd be interested in getting on the wait list for this. It would be me and one buddy. Thank you.

DMB2015 wrote: »
    I'd be interested in getting on the wait list for this. It would be me and one buddy. Thank you.

Done!

We're getting a party bus. 4 more tickets are available.

I present to you: THIS YEAR'S BUTTON!

pvaj527aftsh.jpg

• DMB2015DMB2015 Registered User new member
    Loving the Archer theme, awesome button!

Thanks to @JobiwanKenobi and his magnificent clipping skills for this one.

edited August 2015
    Brewery Profile: Justice Brewing
    Size: Microscopic

Justice Brewing is a tiny, 1-person operation out of a garage in a residential section of North Everett. In addition to doing small batch, super creative beers, the owner, Nate, has done custom beers for PAX events and parties in the past and provides an exclusive brew for the AFK tavern in Everett. His latest flagship, White and Nerdy, is a Belgian wit brewed with orange peel and spices. Arguably, his most popular beer has been his bacon brown, which may or may not be available for the tour.

But Justice is more than just a cool brewer who makes awesome gamer and pop culture jokes, it's also an industry respected brewery that really exemplifies what the Schlitzkrieg is about: finding tiny, talented brewers who have the freedom to experiment and take risks. These small shops put their money and energy into their beers, not into their marketing.

ul4i1yh9sno5.jpg

LexiconGrrl on
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Foot wear? I know this is an off question, but will be we touring any areas of the breweries that require closed toe shoes?

Foot wear? I know this is an off question, but will be we touring any areas of the breweries that require closed toe shoes?

I doubt it. It's never come up at any brewery before.

I doubt it. It's never come up at any brewery before.
    Thx, good to know as I just wanted to make sure before I wore my flops. The breweries here require that you wear CTS.

edited August 2015
    Brewery Profile: Lantern Brewing
    Size: Small

Lantern Brewing was the 11th stop on the very first ever SchlitzKrieg in 2012 and the group was pretty wiped out by the time we got there. This year it's back, in a new location and will be the very first stop on the tour. 9:30 am beer, anyone?

Brewer and owner Chris got his brewery off the ground in a 500 sqft basement space and by selling 22oz bottles at local farmers' markets. After finding a screamin' deal on a larger space in a less fashionable neighborhood and spending a year doing the buildout himself, his operation is about 8 times larger in square footage but is still just run by him (his wife helps out with the tasting room occasionally).

Lantern focuses on Belgian-style beers with a keen eye toward elegant twists on old favorites that are creative without trying to redefine the style into something unfamiliar. For example, making a classic Belgian Wit with sour cherries. With the larger space, other brewers can often be found brewing their own releases on Lantern's equipment while Chris keeps it hands-on with his own brews.

syqh3dhth2dv.jpg

LexiconGrrl on
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    *sigh* Lantern. 100% legit. Can confirm even after 11 hours of drinking beer that day back in '12.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    Not that it is an important detail in any way, but wasn't it the 10th stop? 11 (Naked City) and 12 (Pillager's Pub/Baron Brewing) were both in Greenwood at the end... I suppose if you count Der Blokken/Frites it would be 11... eh, never mind me...

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
    Not that it is an important detail in any way, but wasn't it the 10th stop? 11 (Naked City) and 12 (Pillager's Pub/Baron Brewing) were both in Greenwood at the end... I suppose if you count Der Blokken/Frites it would be 11... eh, never mind me...

NNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD!!!!!

9:30 am beer, anyone?

What, no beers at breakfast?

Clearly, you did not drink enough beers that day.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

Brewery Profile: North Sound Brewing
    Size: Micro

North Sound Brewing is located in the picturesque farming community of Mount Vernon, about an hour North of Seattle. Kurt Ahrens realized his dream of getting out of the corporate rat race and opening up a small craft brewery in 2009, where a small, dedicated team has made this brewery a local favorite. The area is is well known for eco-tourism and those tourist dollars can't hurt either! You're not likely to find North Sound beers in many stores outside of the Skagit Valley area, where the small network of stores and producers staunchly support each others' products.

This brewery specializes in old-world style, unfiltered English and Irish beers reimagined through a Northwest lens. Of course there are IPAs, but also an English bitter ale, Scottish ale and porters. If you're a bitter beer fan, try the Rosco's Rye PA: an IPA brewed with rye malt and local Chinook hops.

33myitck0nia.jpg

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Should I bring my GameCube (Zelda compilation disc, Double Dash, Super Mario Strikers) for the party bus? Or is someone else planning to bring g something else?

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

edited August 2015
    WuShock wrote: »
    Should I bring my GameCube (Zelda compilation disc, Double Dash, Super Mario Strikers) for the party bus? Or is someone else planning to bring g something else?

Here's the deal with the TV, and you can decide: Evidently bus wiring is way different for these big party busses and most of the power is dedicated to the fancy LED lights and stuff. There's no independent power on the bus and the TVs don't have any connectivity to a console or anything, nor do they have sound. They're more for playing movies silently in the background.

That said, the owners are going to try to get an HDMI cable installed in time for the tour but they have made it very clear that they can't promise. They'll literally have to demo out the back wall of the bus to get to the TV and then build the wall back up again. But a lot of shit can happen in a month, and they've agreed that if they need to get back there for any other reason, they'll put a cable in.

Long legs on the bus are:
    1x1hr
    1x2hr
    1x1.5hr

I was thinking that if anyone wanted to bring a laptop with extra battery / brick, USB controllers, and a set of little portable speakers (I have a set of simple USB travel speakers), we could probably get away with that if they get the HDMI hooked up. Even if they don't, we could still set aside a corner for gaming right on the laptop and just recharge at the breweries.

It's a lot of 'ifs' so feel free to check in right before you pack to remind me to ask the company if they got the cable installed.

zerzhul on
    Okay. I was thinking we'd have a plug and component inputs which is why I was thinking GameCube. I'll do some stress tests with the laptop to see if that's even viable.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I was thinking that if anyone wanted to bring a laptop with extra battery / brick, USB controllers, and a set of little portable speakers (I have a set of simple USB travel speakers), we could probably get away with that if they get the HDMI hooked up.

My work laptop has discrete graphics, decent battery life, and is fairly easy to travel with. I might be able to accommodate this.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • tac042tac042 Registered User regular
    Could also do portable gaming? I have 2 3DS's, and 2 compatible power banks. Coulda done that on the van so maybe not as shiny, but still an option.

Brewery Profile: Aesir Meadery
    Size: Microscopic

To mix it up a little bit, we're adding a meadery to the list of stops this year. Aesir Meadery is another one-person operation, and Erik works with local farms and friends to produce a wide variety of seasonally rotating fruit meads. From handpicking blackberries to fermenting and bottling, Erik is a one-man machine. At his meadery, be sure to check out all of the awesome Norse artwork that he makes, collects and receives. The Allfather would be proud.

He's also a long time PAX attendee and is particularly excited about hosting his gaming community for this event. You can find him on the forums as @Psiberian.

e2sjh6cym2u7.jpg

There are 4 tickets left! If anybody has friends who would like to come, hook them up! Let's get 4 more people onboard!

• RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    The 2013 Schlitzkrieg was a blast, if you are on the fence about attending it is totally worth it.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    :P

camo_sig2.png
    Evidently I cannot edit from this device. :bigfrown:

Hi everyone! I am super excited for you guys to come by the meadery for the schlitzkriegening2015. I admit to not being a super active person in the forums community recently due to the business and two small kids so to make it up to at least YOU I am doing a couple of special things for you guys.

1. Free samples. Samples are on me (there will be a tip jar out if you feel so inclined, but please there is no obligation)
    2. I am finishing up some experiments just for you guys to try. might be good, might be bad (this is a lie), might melt your face who knows.
    3. Mead is more expensive than beer so to help with budgets I am putting together 375ml bottles instead of my standard 750ml wine bottles. (I have those too if you love something and need a quantity to get through the weekend.
    4. My mead is all between 14% and 17% abv and puts lesser beings on the floor so please eat lunch. :)

If you have any specific questions feel free to reach out to me either here on PA, Steam: Psiberian, or email: erik at Aesirmeadery.com

Skol!
    Erik/Psiberian

camo_sig2.png
    Psiberian wrote: »
    4. My mead is all between 14% and 17% abv and puts lesser beings on the floor so please eat lunch. :)

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

WuShock wrote: »
    Psiberian wrote: »

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

The floor is concrete test subject, please plan accordingly.

camo_sig2.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I wish I could go drink all your mead. At East this past year I went to sunset with @chaosisorder and @Khadour and @Emod and drank 19 meads. They were delicious.

• chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    If you are a really, really, really good mod, we might bring you something from the meadery.

(And if we don't drink it on the way back.)

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    That latter part is really not guaranteed...

...but hey it's the thought that counts :)

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    my local cider house started mead this year, and the first batch should be ready about when I get back from pax... so excited

I knew I should have taken this whole week off work and gone on the 'krieg.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    @zerzhul as the oddly dry one of the bunch, I can probably grab you some and keep it away from the ravening Schlitzkriegers to deliver it safely to your hands . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

Brewery Profile: Salish Sea Brewing Co.
    Size: Micro

The Salish Sea is the official name of the saltwater body that encompasses Puget Sound through the Straight of Juan de Fuca. Salish Sea Brewing is located just a few blocks from the Edmonds ferry dock, in a location where you can smell the beach more days than not. Jeff, the owner, runs the place with a small skeleton staff and brews 10bbl batches twice per week.

Focusing on handcrafted hyper-local NW style beers, the brews lean more toward hoppy than sweet and there's a wide range of ales, porters and IPAs. If you're looking for a beer that really exemplifies the NW regional style, this is a great place to drink.

a8msozw8hwro.jpg

Here's an interesting article on the evolution of beer yeasts!

• chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    I am getting utterly amped for this.

Also, we have Telestrations (and Telestrations after Dark) which should make for an excellent mobile game. Especially after the third stop or so.

@LexiconGrrl thanks for all of the information on the breweries, who know this would also be educational.