As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IRC Clients for Windows?

HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
I've been missing from the IRC world for two weeks while sorting out issues with a new PC. Now that it's done, I find out that the windows version of my favorite IRC client (X-Chat) is no longer free.

What client is everyone using these days? I had mIRC for a long time, but it was lacking some features (features I forget since I haven't used it in two or three years), and so I ditched it.

HadjiQuest on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    The silverex build of X-Chat.

X-Chat is open source. That's a build without the nagware.

Echo on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    http://www.silverex.org/news/

The free binaries of X-Chat. Specifically X-Chat 2.6.8-1 because the newer version has a crash bug that involves the system tray and a problem with the clipboard.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    SO SLOW

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I had to get him the unbugged version number.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    I had to get him the unbugged version number.

In a very slow manner.

Echo on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Unreal Tournament.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have one called Leafchat I like.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    There was a time when I was unable to download a proper client and had to use telnet and send raw IRC protocol commands.

I'm kinda addicted to my information flows.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    There was a time when I was unable to download a proper client and had to use telnet and send raw IRC protocol commands.

That's hardcore.

I wish I could do that. My only real experience with TelNet is CISCO router administration, and even then I didn't learn very much, as the class served as a drop off for kids who hadn't filled out their schedules in junior year of high school. The teacher spent more time making sure no one poker their self in the eye with anything than he did teaching.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So do I need to install the GTK+ runtime separately to get this version of x-chat to work?

Are there any real disadvantages to that?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    So do I need to install the GTK+ runtime separately to get this version of x-chat to work?

Are there any real disadvantages to that?

No, it's just runtime libraries. Install them, forget about it. Any time you use a program that uses GTK+ (X-Chat, Pidgin, countless other cross-platform programs) you'll already have it installed.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I too had this problem with a university connection some seven years ago. I eventually ended up managing to get BitchX to run. I would have absolutely zero idea how to do that nowadays.

Incidentally, I'm still rockin' MIRC because it does what I need IRC to do...chat.

Also, is there a PA IRC channel? I once had a look and found one on quakenet I think, but there were all of 2 people in there.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I too had this problem with a university connection some seven years ago. I eventually ended up managing to get BitchX to run. I would have absolutely zero idea how to do that nowadays.

Incidentally, I'm still rockin' MIRC because it does what I need IRC to do...chat.

Also, is there a PA IRC channel? I once had a look and found one on quakenet I think, but there were all of 2 people in there.

irc.slashnet.org
    #paforums

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

irc.slashnet.org
    #paforums

I have been pm'd. But thank ye anyway.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

irc.slashnet.org
    #paforums

You fool.

I use mirc, but only to piss off mono.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    GertBeef wrote: »

irc.slashnet.org
    #paforums

You fool.

I used to use mirc, but got pissed by the constant "register for $$$!" ad, so I switched to chatzilla. Really, all irc clients are the same, but I like chatzilla for it's ability to connect to (a) server(s) and chatroom(s) upon opening the client. And I like how you can open multiple servers without closing previous ones (although you can do this in mirc, too. it's just less obvious).

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

irc.slashnet.org
    #paforums

You fool.

I used to use mirc, but got pissed by the constant "register for $$$!" ad, so I switched to chatzilla. Really, all irc clients are the same, but I like chatzilla for it's ability to connect to (a) server(s) and chatroom(s) upon opening the client. And I like how you can open multiple servers without closing previous ones (although you can do this in mirc, too. it's just less obvious).

But why would you ever need to connect to other servers. Aren't we enough for you? :V

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

irc.slashnet.org
    #paforums

You fool.

But why would you ever need to connect to other servers. Aren't we enough for you? :V

soniccult

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Opera has a built in client. I think it''s really limited in terms of features (though I only used it for a month or 2), however you can customise its looks with CSS! :o

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Airan wrote: »
    Opera has a built in client. I think it''s really limited in terms of features (though I only used it for a month or 2), however you can customise its looks with CSS! :o

yeah, the same with firefox's chatzilla.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bollocks, I thought that was one unique feature of Opera's client :x
    Still, Opera looks better than Chatzilla from the get go :P

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I used to use mirc, but got pissed by the constant "register for $$$!" ad, so I switched to chatzilla.

I got tired of that damn ad too, so I paid for it. I figure, I've been using it for the past decade or so, I must have gotten twenty bucks worht of utility out of it.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

irc.slashnet.org
    #paforums

You fool.

Mirc multichannel sucks too in that it runs your same scripts for every channel. So if you have a logon script to ID yourself and join some rooms, it will run it on any server you connect to, all the time. Im sure theres an option to change it, but fucked if i can figure it out, and ive been using it for 10 years.

I still recommend Mirc if you dont need to run scripts or alternatively dont need to join multiple networks.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MIRC with NNScript.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Miranda IM has an IRC plugin if you love idling in one specific server all day long.

sonictk on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Okay guys, I just discovered HydraIRC and it's awesome.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I cannot stand any client other than Xchat. Right now I'm using this build on Windows, and whatever version apt-get got me on Ubuntu,

Pidgin is pretty awful for any extended use of IRC right now, but there are some changes in the tubes which promise to improve the experience immensely. Eventually. Persistent chatrooms, I pine for thee.

edit: Oh, another one worth mentioning is 0irc. It's only a few kilobytes, so I carry it around on my thumb drive. Just in case.

Frem on