As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bicycle Thread Is Coming Your Way

UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIREBUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
So forget all your duties oh yeah

Bikes are cool, unless you ride like an asshole, or are around drivers who drive like assholes but like to blame others*

faster than walking, cheaper than driving, and there's that whole exercise thing that people are always recommending

I had been thinking about getting a bike to take to and from work instead of taking the bus every day, maybe get in better shape, have a way to run small errands when my wife has the truck, that sort of thing. I didn't want it to be like a gym membership that never gets used but takes up space in my shed, so I borrowed a bike from my parents for a couple months to see if I'd stick with riding to and from work at least a few times a week. That worked well, so I just went out and picked up this beauty today:

yicqs5jtqx1z.jpeg

It turns out bikes have changed a bit in the over 15 years since I last bought one. That or Canadian Tire was somewhat behind the times on bicycle trends? Probably both. I knew about mountain bikes, and I knew about road bikes and racing bikes, but when I was researching what to buy now I learned that there's a new type called "hybrid bikes", so named because they have a frame and upright riding stance similar to a mountain bike, but have narrower tires like a road bike, and the end result is something that's fairly comfortable for commuting, which sounded like exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

After 2 months riding a mountain bike with a stainless steel frame that was a bit too small for me, a properly sized aluminium hybrid bike feels like a whole new world, let me tell you. This bike has both front suspension (which the borrowed bike had, and took some getting used to), and seat suspension, which is entirely new and feels really weird so far (but I like it)

Do you like bikes, SE++? Are you a weekend rider, daily commuter, or do you partake in underground bicycle street races? (if that last one isn't really a thing, please don't tell me. I want to believe.) Do you have any tips for new riders or advice for managing the driver/cyclist relationship? favourite biking stories?

*= So far I've only had one unpleasant encounter with a driver while biking to/from work, and strangely enough it happened while I was walking the bike through an intersection as an entirely law abiding pedestrian. The driver was turning right and was apparently under the impression that a flashing hand sign meant "teleport immediately out of the intersection, it's car time" rather than "don't start crossing, finish crossing if already underway" and honked their horn to express their displeasure that I'd delayed their commute by the roughly 3 seconds it took for me to cross the lane.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I really need to get on my bike again.

But the stress of riding a road bike in a small town with fucked up roads and even more fucked up drivers can take it's toll when I'm riding day to day.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I've started riding my bike a couple times a week, with the days that i'm not riding I instead just go out for a walk.

I've had my bike for years now and never really done any maintenance on it, and I don't know much about that kind of thing. It looks ok and sounds mostly fine, and I do stuff like keeping the tires well inflated, but i'm expecting at some point for it to just fall apart while i'm out on the trail or something.

• Options
    RandomEncounterRandomEncounter Registered User regular
    I'm not a super big fan of hybrids, but that could be because mine was a piece of junk. My daily ride now is a beach cruiser with riser bars. It is slow and ridiculous looking, but there's not really any traffic here so it works

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    my commute isn't really too bad. There's one major highway between me and the harbour, but there's a pedestrian overpass one street over from me that crosses it, so I bike to there, carry the bike over the walkway, and it's a pretty clear ride from there. It's mostly downhill to the ferry terminal which means I can get to work without being too gross and sweaty, and then I get my workout on the ride home. With the time saved not walking to the bus stop, it's actually about 10-15 minutes faster biking to work instead of taking the bus, and takes about the same time as the bus coming home.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I've started riding my bike a couple times a week, with the days that i'm not riding I instead just go out for a walk.

I've had my bike for years now and never really done any maintenance on it, and I don't know much about that kind of thing. It looks ok and sounds mostly fine, and I do stuff like keeping the tires well inflated, but i'm expecting at some point for it to just fall apart while I'm out on the trail or something.

I never did much to take care of my old bike, but I plan to be a bit more on top of the maintenance with this one. Looking at the manual that came with it I think the main thing that could hurt the bike's longevity to skip is oiling the chain from time to time.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Riding to and from the metro to work. Turns an hour commute to only a 45 minute one

My bike is falling apart though, front brakes don't work the back wheel has a detached spoke and the brake handles are loose on the handlebars

but I am super suspicious of bike places working on it and I lack the proper tools for fixing most of the problems, so who knows when these things will be fixed

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I bought this bike for $20 off Craigslist just last week and I've been riding it to work since then.

evwtqv44tjlr.jpg

It's decent enough.

• Options
    Thanks to this thread I am getting off my ass and starting up my air compressor so I can clean off my bike and check my tires, and gears. The shifting has been off ever since I took a fall thanks to a sandy intersection, and there is no bike shop in town to take it to.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    I've had a really good experience with the bike shop I went to. I took my crappy old bike there for repairs about 5 years ago and they got it working well and didn't seem to gouge the heck out of me for it, so they were my first choice when I started looking this time.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I commute with a bike most days, it's like a 10 minute ride - usually long enough for me to hate at least one driver, often more. My bike was put together by my brother from a frame I bought at a big sale thing a few years back, it's orange and says HumuHumuNukuNukuApua'a on the side which is pretty cool. Not as light as a usual road bike though, I've had a lot of bad luck with gears and flat tires and stuff falling apart so I ended up with a fairly heavy but durable bike over all.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    the most inconvenient part of my ride is when I have to cross a highway and there's this overpass with four lanes but barely any shoulder

I'd cross somewhere else but there literally is no other place I could cross this highway without annoying someone

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I commute to and from work every day on my bike. It's a refurbished from Windmill Bicycles in Austin, based on a Mongoose frame, new bits and bobs otherwise. It's just a six-speed, but it gets the job done, and it's tons of fun to take out on the greenbelt trails and the boardwalk in town on weekends.

Yaaaay bikes!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    huh, that's neat. I just noticed that Google Maps now shows a graph of elevation/climbs when you map out a bike route

for example, this is my route home (at least until the bike lane is back on the bridge), it really is almost entirely uphill as I thought (the long flat part at the start is the harbour crossing)

yL44bCS.png

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I wish there was more cycle trails near my house. I cycle to a nearby park mostly but would like a change.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I guess I do live in the Bicycle Capital of the Northwest, so I probably should just go down to a local shop and get it checked out.

• Options
    we've got some really nice trails here - there's a trail near my house that runs the length of a three-lake chain that is super nice to ride, and we've got a chunk of the Trans Canada Trail completed including one section along the coast that was converted from an abandoned railway line into a biking/hiking trail that is really nice to ride

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    Yay bike thread!

I love bicycling. I usually get to ride four or five times a week, a couple of those with the local bicycle club. :) There are a ton of hilly country roads around here that make for great riding.

My trusty steed for the last few years:
    1r5qf6hqt5he.jpg
    (the one at the bottom, of course!)

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    altlat55altlat55 Registered User regular
    I have a single speed Linus. Chicago is pretty flat, but there are a few small hills on my commute that make me wish I had at least a 3-speed. I've been taking around 3.2 miles to Union Station and then another mile after I get off the train on M/W/F over the summer. I'm between semesters right now so I can work full time, and I tried it every day for one week before saying fuck that. Now I drive Tuesday/Thursday.

• Options
    My job is split between working from my desk in a building separate from the majority users we support, and 1-2 days a week when I'm onsite. I try to avoid biking on the onsite days both because I'm not 100% confident that changing my shirt when I get to work fully offsets any ride-sweat funkiness, and because the bike rack there is out in the open, as opposed to the one at my building which is tucked away in the locked underground garage

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    Local scenery from the bike! With the bike! On a very humid and hazy day!
    9a8zo0sszykz.jpg
    (I promise I won't spam the thread. I'm just excited for a bicycle thread.)

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    kEb6Gjfl.jpg

Semi-cleaned, and re-inflated. Ready to start trying to do my work commute again. The biggest inconvenience for me, aside from drivers and the shitty roads, is having to change clothes.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Lotta sweet bikes in here

• Options
    My commute is fairly short and mostly downhill, but due to a combination of being badly out of shape and wearing a backpack because the bike I was borrowing didn't have saddle bags, I've been bringing a change of shirts to work. Hoping with the new setup + slowly improving fitness I can get away without changing soon

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I do a lot more cycling now in the last few months. I'm just using my old nordic bike that I had gotten and not used since like, 2004.
    The gear's don't work all too well, the main one doesn't seem to go into the 3rd gear

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    cqx5pxq05m1m.png

178.png 252.7K
  • Options
    I almost put that in the OP, Keith

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Bike gear that I'll rave about....
    • Speedplay Frog pedals. I used to have Speedplay X pedals, but the racing shoes were hard to walk on, so I swapped up to Frog pedals, which fit shoes that look and feel nearly identical to normal shoes. Extremely easy to clip in, clip out, easy to walk in the shoes, lots of free float, and you can pull up hard on them without any worries of unclipping. Best pedals I've owned or used.
    • Magnic light. This is my bike light, which uses the eddy currents generated by a spinning rim to power LEDs bright enough to use as a bike light, as long as you aren't going too fast. While there are more powerful lights out there, I hated dealing with recharging the batteries, so I greatly prefer this battery-less solution.
    • Cateye Strada bike computer. I don't like riding with my phone out all the time, but I still want to know time, distance, and speed, and this does it with a battery that lasts forever (about a year) and is basically rainproof.
    • A compact double crankset. I have an old Cannondale road bike, with close ratio rear gears (only 1-2 teeth difference between each gear), so climbing steeper hills was hard, until I replaced my normal road crank with a compact double crank, which basically gave me the benefit of mountain bike gear ratios without having to change anything else.
    • Bullhorn handlebars. I just don't get why drop bars are so popular, because I just hate the drop riding position, plus I find the other hand positions are just more comfortable on bullhorns.
    • A hitch mounted, platform bike rack (currently a Hollywood, but I'll probably switch to a Raxter). Hitch racks are so much easier to deal with than roof racks, and platform racks prevent bike sway damage, compared to bar racks. Once you've gone this route, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Not cheap though, as you have to factor in the hitch to the overall cost.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    If I were to cheat on Vivienne with anything it would probably be my bike.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    My wife and I got bikes a few weeks ago, good bikes from a bike shop, not target/walmart bikes. We are loving them.

There's lots of trails around here that we can ride on. Admittedly starting this in the middle of the summer heat isn't the best idea, but we're enjoying them. We have a trailer on the bikes we can put the kiddos in and haul them around too. Really sweet setup.

The one thing I wish is that I could bike from my house to work, but there's a section that I have no clue how to get a bike through without extreme danger, and even my brother in law (who thinks nothing of biking 100 miles on the weekend) agrees with that.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Blake T wrote: »

"he took the seat off his own bike because the way that it felt"

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Picked up a used 18-speed mountain bike last month from a garage sale. Decent for the price, but ultimately a very cheap bike.
    Been a long time since I've ridden a bike, needed something cheap to see if biking was something i wanted to get back into... I'm looking at upgrading to a semi-decent road bike by next spring, I've got the need for speed

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I just bought my first road bike about three weeks ago and I am loving it. Integrated shifters are a revelation. Might start taking it into work, if I can convince the boss to let me leave it inside.

DsrLRaJ.jpg

So far I just map out rides in my area with ridewithgps, but I joined a bike club this morning and I'd like to work my way up with them.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    All bikes are cool, but riding a roadbike that fits you is such a fun experience

• Options
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    All bikes are cool, but riding a roadbike that fits you is such a fun experience

god, the difference in feel between a borrowed mountain bike that was a bit too small for me and a hybrid/road bike that is sized properly is amazing. I took used it to go to the grocery store today just because I could.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »

I've had to put my bike in storage and it's made me genuinely anxious. I hope it doesn't get lonely.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It can come over. I'll keep it company.

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    I have a decent hybrid bike, but am giving serious thought to buying a road bike. Looking out for a good deal at my local bike shop. I mostly use my bike recreationally, roads all have construction around here right now and it's kinda sketchy to use it for my main work mode of transportation. For weekend rides, I usually take the mt. Vernon trail here, which goes from Alexandria, va, all the way up to the Washington monument or Roosevelt island, pretty scenery along the Potomac all the way up. Also, a good pair of shorts with crotch/butt padding is so clutch for long rides, highly recommended!

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I used to cycle to uni. Nearly got killed twice.

Sydney is also an incredibly hilly place to cycle, and where I lived had far too many narrow roads that encouraged cars to quickly change lane.

It's a pity, because it was actually pretty good while it lasted.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah Sydney is a city I generally won't cycle in, cause of the traffic/roads. Sucks though.