As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What's getting cut/added for you this fall?

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
In the spirit of having some more activity in here...we're at a place where both Marvel and DC had some summer/fall events and a lot of books are having some obvious places to jump on or off a series. What are folks doing with their pull lists?

For me I'm thinking about stopping Howard the Duck because that itch feels like it's being scratched by Squirrel Girl and others. I'm thinking about stopping Star Wars simply because I keep forgetting to read it. I also think I'm taking a break from anything Guardians related after the main book got dull for me and Rocket didn't live up to its artwork. Ant Man is also on the possible cut list..but I'm not sure at this point as the premise of the new series sounds great.

I do think I'm going to add a few team books for a change. Thinking of adding the Avenger books with Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel and that road trip young X-Men series (and continuing A Force). Silk might be added to go with Spider-Gwen because the art style looks wonderful too.

On DC I'm staying the same except I started Prez and Starfire and the wonderful Bizarro mini series. I've thought about getting rid of Gotham Academy for the same reason as Star Wars (I forget to read it) but when I do read it I really like the setting and characters a ton.

What are you folks doing? Anybody getting left on the racks soon? Anything you're particularly excited to see launch?

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I don't really have much of a pull list because I'm allergic to going issue-by-issue; I'll generally go arc-by-arc and/or wait for TPBs.

But right now I'm only reading Ms Marvel and Silk as far as current-release titles go. I don't have a lot of interest in branching beyond that; in fact with Marvel Unlimited there's a good justification for just waiting a while. I'm waiting for Sloane's She-Hulk to all end up on Unlimited, for example, before I touch it. It's not the most generous of me money-wise, but I simply can't afford to follow everything I want to, not just because of money but also because of space.

As it is, I still get Saga and other non-Marvel stuff from my local comic book store so I will pay for what I can!

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It's funny you say that - I have a spreadsheet of my pull list and it has three columns for pricing, one going month to month, one if I were to go digital and one if I trade waited. It's getting harder and harder to ignore how much I'd save by going TPB outside of my local comic book store.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    yeesh lookit this nerd over here

yes hello I am the one who spreadsheeted and analysed everyone's rankings of the MCU movies that was me

but yeah I've actually been buying the individually Ms Marvel issues digitally as each arc finishes because thus far they've been cheaper than the collected editions

Ms Marvel's collected editions are all priced at $19.99 but they seem to collect anywhere from 4 to 6 issues, so I think I've saved all of $5-$8 buying the singles up to issue 15

maybe

maths is hard

Yeah - that's the challenge. Ms. Marvel is a great example. I have a local chain that has Vol. 1 and Vol 2 for $10.30 each which combined have issues 1 - 11. I spent $33 on those, so I could have saved $11.

Harley Quinn also stands out - for $12 I could do the first trade with issues 0-8, I spent at least $24 on those same issues.

But I'd miss going to my normal comic shop...so the question is then immediate gratification and fun ambiance vs. saving like 30 - 40% of my monthly comic budget.

I totally intend to order Ms Marvel collected editions in TPB form at some point because I absolutely want my future kids to read it

but fuck if I'm gonna give them my iPad to read it

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I've pretty much gone all digital on my monthly books at this point but I find myself wanting to switch gears and just wait for TPBs going forward -- but then I ask myself how often I really go back and read most comics even a second time, let alone a third.

Some titles I've been following have ended and I haven't found good replacements (like Prophet especially). I've been picking up she hulk and silver surfer monthly and they feel like good candidates to have bought in trades -- but then there's the feeling that I've already bought digital copies once and do I want buy them a second time.

Hmm

There is something about reading on my iPad once and deleting that feels especially transient and it sort of bugs me but I can't really handle the idea of boxes of floppies anymore.

Marvel is shaking things up so I don't want to make assumptions about what I might pick up when the dust settles later this fall, but I've just sort of given up on x-books and avengers which were always the consistent big super books to get me in the store when I was buying weekly floppies.

Maybe I should just look for random hip indie comics once a month instead. Every time I go to comic-zine mini-cons I find strange, fun stuff.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    My budget is changing a lot when Secret Wars ends, so I'm trying to cut back.

I've decided that apart from a few ongoings that I'm still reading (Sex Criminals, Black Science, Saga, East of West), I'm going to switch to all delayed digital for Image books from big name creators, and focus instead on picking up more under-the-radar/lower selling indies in print, particularly the 8house books.

I tried a lot more of the New DCU titles than I expected to, and although only a few new books made the leap to my pull in the end, I also stayed on more existing titles than I thought I would be (Constantine, Earth 2, and Justice League United all remain on my pull when I thought I'd be dropping them). The new Martian Manhunter and Cyborg books are pretty strong, but I'm not sure if I enjoy the characters enough to read in singles. Jeff Parker's JLU has so much potential but it's very disjointed feeling in single issues, but the sales are already kind of rough so it may not be around for long. I'm also rethinking my commitment to the Green Lantern line, as I'm a bit behind on those titles but I keep buying them in singles each month for the collection factor.

I want to mix my monthly pulls in a way where I get to experience the hype and communal aspects of reading the top-tier titles along with everyone else, but where I also support smaller books from the big two that are a more difficult sell, like Prez or Squirrel Girl. I also want to support greater creator diversity in the industry, which is another aspect of why I'm on the fence about Cyborg. It's going to be really hard to pick Avengers titles this fall, because books like A-Force and Ultimates are going to be really fun but I am also excited to see the more heavily weighted and continuity focused Uncanny Avengers and All-New All-Different Avengers. Reading all four seems like a bit much.

I'd also like to switch more reading over to digital and especially over to Marvel Digital Unlimited. I only have about a half-dozen long boxes and a couple of shorts, but I move frequently, and they're really annoying to deal with.

The biggest difficulty I have is in knowing so much about how metric-driven and direct market-oriented the industry remains. I feel like I have to push the industry in the direction I want it to go in using my own dollars, and it's cheaper to make those day-one purchases in print than it is in digital. But honestly the paper quality, especially in the marvel titles, is so bad anymore that I read them once and shelve them, and then revisit the digital copies if I want to re-read. I know it's keeping the retailers around, but it's literally a huge weight on me that I have to carry from apartment to apartment.

All that said, I will continue reading Ant-Man, Squirrel Girl, most of the Star Wars titles (I might move to digital-waiting the minis and I will be dropping the Kanan book next issue), and a few X-Books. Jason Aaron's Dr. Strange sounds really rad, but I'm not the biggest Bachalo fan and I don't really feel for the character that much, so I may pass.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I've only been into comics for a few years, and started by reading a lot of old runs. I only relatively recently got into picking up stuff month by month, mostly from recommendations on here like Ms Marvel, Moon Knight and Hawkeye or spinning off from the older stuff I'd really enjoyed - I loved DnA's run on GotG so have been reading Legendary Star-Lord, Rocket and the newer GotG, though to be fair I was probably about done there as it feels a lot different to the 'older' stuff.

Now all the Secret Wars stuff is going on I'm kind of in a weird place. I hear all this cool stuff about Masters of Kung Fu, but I'm not sure if I'd get as much out of it without knowing the history or recognizing all the characters. I know the names are referring to old events that I've heard the titles of and maybe know a rough outline of the plot, but don't know how much it's actually following along with or looking back at events it might expect me to be familiar with.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Not me cutting things but, I was browsing the local library's graphic novel collection and I just realised that they don't have any copies of Watchmen. Like, they used to have a bunch of copies, and now they're gone. I hadn't noticed because 1) I don't particularly care about Watchmen and 2) the shelf was full of Before Watchmen books and I had assumed one of the books was the original.

I only noticed because I'm currently in the middle of doing some recommendations for the Graphic Novel section, trying to get potential new readers to pay attention to a small corner of the library next to the large print romance section. I wasn't going to recommend Watchmen because I had assumed that I didn't need to recommend Watchmen; it's one of the most well known graphics novels that there is (also, it's a little hard to jump into for a new reader). But to find out that it's just gone from the library is very weird.

• AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular
    I only pull Grayson, Gotham Academy and Batgirl from DC, so no cuts there.

Image it's WicDiv, Saga, SexCrimz. & Phonograms at this point, but the 5-6 issues + break makes things easier on my wallet

Marvel, once SW ends, I'm sticking with Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, Howard & Squirrel Girl. All New Hawkeye may be dropped because this post-Fraction run has been kinda hit or miss with me. The X-line looks like a mess, & Spider-Gwen was fun, but something I can just read on the Unlimited app at this point.

I do WicDiv, Saga and Sex Crimz as TPB.

I do too much DC at this point - Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Harley, Harley/PG, Bizarro, Prez, and Starfire - plus my son gets Teen Titans Go.

I've dropped Hawkeye too.

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    I've been reading comics for a couple years and only have two short boxes because I split my reading between digital and physical. Marvel has been mostly digital because they have a lot of good books and I want a lot of what offer so I need to save space at home :biggrin: My two boxes are full of DC books and a couple Image.

I think I'll keep it that way because Marvel offers those digital codes anyways while DC doesn't.

Oh! And BKV's book We Stand On Guard... I haven't been feeling it at all. I thought that the giant robots would play a bigger role in the book or at least be kind of cool, but in my opinion, I don't like them. I suppose Pacific Rim spoiled me on that. As for the story in that book, it all feels very unoriginal. USA coming to stomp some other country's face in... Not that interested in that now that I see it on there.

I will mostly likely pull that new Lemire book coming out next week. I think?

I do WicDiv, Saga and Sex Crimz as TPB.

I do too much DC at this point - Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Harley, Harley/PG, Bizarro, Prez, and Starfire - plus my son gets Teen Titans Go.

I've dropped Hawkeye too.

Those Image Humble bundles are my trade supplements, because it's generally cheaper and it's weeks of content. The Image books I pull usually warrant the price point, be it due to additional content (the SexCrimz letter pages are amazing) or the fact that WicDiv is cheaper digitally than in print.

All New Hawkeye looks great in the present, but I am D U N with that flashback nonsense. I don't need Clint Barton's origin, especially at the cost of Kate Bishop screen time.

Also aren't H/PG, Prez and Bizarro minis? So in 5-6 months most of them will wrap up!

H/PG and Bizarro are done in a few months, but Prez is a 12 month series.

6 actually. Sales were so bad it's getting canned after 6. :I

AnarCHris wrote: »

Unless it's changed again it was a misunderstanding - two 6 issues minis.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/23/dont-worry-folks-prez-is-still-a-12-issue-series-at-least/

AnarCHris wrote: »

Unless it's changed again it was a misunderstanding - two 6 issues minis.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/23/dont-worry-folks-prez-is-still-a-12-issue-series-at-least/

Oh man, completely missed that news. Great! :D

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Marvel is down to Captain Marvel and Dr. Strange for me. Miracleman when it comes back. And probably Karnak in trade. Other titles depends on word of mouth.

DC I think I'm done with. Hitman spin-off and Midnighter when they get collected, but that's it.

Most of my money will be going to Image.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Marvel is pretty much down to Miracleman, and even that might drop once they finish Gaiman's story.

DC is Batman until Snyder leaves or I stop enjoying it, All-Star Section 8 until it's over.

Astro City once I catch up (although I'll probably stick to trades), Rick and Morty, Autumnlands, Jupiter's Circle/Legacy/whatever else they come up with for the universe, Saga in trades, any more Kill Shakespeare they do, Empire, anything Archie if they do more Predator/Sharknado style minis.

Once stuff I enjoyed started ending, I basically decided I'd ride out a couple more titles/runs and be done with new stuff. For the forseeable future I'm planning on spending time putting all my stuff in order and money filling in blanks in my collection when possible. I've got reasonably healthy chunks of X-Men, FF, Avengers, Spider-Man, etc. from the beginning, so picking up one or two Silver Age issues here and there may actually cost less than what I typically pick up month to month, and 80's-last few years back issues are usually $1 or less at conventions. A co-worker also got me hooked on a half-priced trades site that I have a growing list of stuff to buy from.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm going a little overboard with what I'm adding this Fall. I find I've turned into an Avengers person, with New, Uncanny, and regular Avengers all on my list, plus A-Force and Ultimates (which is, let's face it, basically an Avengers book). Besides that, I'm going to try out Contest of Champions, the new Captain America series, Hercules, Blade, Uncanny Inhumans and All-New Inhumans, Extraordinary X-Men, Captain Marvel, and All-New Wolverine.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Cutting down as much as I can, as between the cad/usd exchange rate being crap lately, and marvel unlimited becoming a better service.

That being said, looking forward to ANAD Avengers and Spider-Man a lot. Will continue to probably pick up Saga, East of West and Batman as well.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I really don't know what my list will be any more.

There's constants like X-O Manowar and Astro City, but I really don't know what to expect in terms of creators staying onboard books with the new Marvel stuff. I am picking up Iron Man because Bendis is always given carte blanche, but then there's teasing of a second Iron Man book which is just like, no bro, even at Iron Man's peak with the second movie coming out he couldn't Deadpool himself into rationalizing more than one book. Waid's Avengers might have a lasting leg if it will be the mainstay like Hickman's was, but all these other series, while they might be interesting, I'll wait for a few issues to show up unless they really get good word of mouth going.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Let's see here.

I'm getting digital codes for

-A-Force
    -All-New, All Different Avengers
    -New Avengers
    -Ultimates (If I can find someone selling their codes)

I'm getting subscriptions (which arrive 3 weeks late) for

-Captain Marvel
    -Doctor Strange
    -Drax
    -Guardians of the Galaxy
    -Ms. Marvel
    -Nova
    -The inevitable Rocket Raccoon relaunch
    -Star-Lord
    -Venom: Spaceknight
    -Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

and I'm trade waiting for

-All-New Inhumans
    -Astonishing Ant-Man
    -Black Panther (Mentioned but not announced)
    -Contest of Champions
    -Karnak
    -The Mighty Thor
    -Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
    -Spider-Man
    -Spider-Man 2099
    -Uncanny Inhumans
    -Vision

-Star Wars
    -Darth Vader
    -Whatever Star Wars minis Marvel parades out
    -Saga
    -Rat Queens
    -Transformers
    -Transformers: More than Meets the Eye
    -Transformers: Till All are One
    -Anything in the Hellboy universe.

Might get trades for
    -Agents of SHIELD
    -Hercules
    -Invincible Iron Man
    -Moon Knight (mentioned by not announced)
    -Spider-Man/Deadpool
    -Squadron Supreme
    -The Totally Awesome Hulk

And I'm losing subs for

Guardians 3000
    Guardians Team-Up
    Silver Surfer (:bigfrown:)

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I have to admit, I'm terrible about knowing what new stuff is coming out/ending, these days. I saw Spider-Man and the X-Men at the store a couple weeks ago and was all, "Wait, this is a thing?"

I've basically cut ties with Marvel and DC at this point. Their books have become prohibitively expensive ($5 first issues? Get the fuck outta here.) and riddled with terrible advertisements (Nick Lachey pitching a Twix? Get. The fuck. Outta here.), so I just get the TPBs.

My pull list is basically entirely made up of Image books at this point, which suits me fine.

8House
    Autumnlands Tooth & Claw
    Cluster
    Copperhead
    Five Ghosts
    Fox
    Fuse
    Invader Zim
    Island
    Kaptara
    Nailbiter
    No Mercy
    Rat Queens
    Rocket Girl
    RunLoveKill
    Saga
    Secret Identities
    Sex Criminals
    Shutter
    Spire
    Thief of Thieves
    Welcome Back
    Wicked & Divine

I dunno, I feel like there's a dearth of creators I really care about at Marvel or DC, right now. A lot of the guys that were favorites of mine (Parker, Van Lente, Tobin, etc.) have moved onto doing creator-owned work, or stuff for different companies. On top of that, Marvel's Secret Wars is basically just one big What If? story, so I feel like there's no urgency to read it. I'm planning to grab a bunch of the TPBs when they come out, but it's not something I really need to read every week.

What I've see of the All-New, All-Different Marvel launches coming up, are kind of so-so. A lot of interesting ideas, paired up with creators I have no interest in, or vice versa. It actually reminds me of DC's New 52 initiative, in a lot of ways. It's largely the same old creators, just shuffled around onto different books.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Howling Commandos of SHIELD, Karnak, Web Warriors, and Illuminati all look pretty cool, though. I'm especially interested in Illuminati - Joshua Williamson's Masks and Mobsters book through Comixology, makes me think he can really nail that tone.

DC You has some cool stuff going on, but again, those stupid Twix ads that ran through all their new first issues, basically killed that initiative for me. That might seem like an overreaction, but why bother paying $4 for a first issue that's cluttered with ads, when I could just get a TPB of the first arc, for $15?

Munch have you checked out Al Ewing's work? He's like if Busiek and Gillen had a baby. It's good stuff.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I have not! I've only heard good things, but his big Marvel debut was on Mighty Avengers with Greg Land, so that kind of killed my interest in that book. I do want to try his Loki book, though.

Issues 6-8 of his Mighty Avengers was drawn by Valerio Schiti, and I think they're worth reading on their own.

And then when it was relaunched as Captain America and the Mighty Avengers Luke Ross drew that, and after the first few Axis tie-in issues it was pretty great.

Also he did a miniseries with Alan Davis called Ultron Forever that's basically an Ultron-themed homage to Avengers Forever, which you definitely should read.

Issues 6-8 of his Mighty Avengers was drawn by Valerio Schiti, and I think they're worth reading on their own.

And then when it was relaunched as Captain America and the Mighty Avengers Luke Ross drew that, and after the first few Axis tie-in issues it was pretty great.

Also he did a miniseries with Alan Davis called Ultron Forever that's basically an Ultron-themed homage to Avengers Forever, which you definitely should read.

Ultron Forever was insanely rad. Well worth picking up ASAP.

• RansRans Registered User regular
    I still pull the Green Lantern titles (Green Lantern, Green Lantern: Lost Army, Sinestro, and Omega Men) and the Superman titles (Superman, Action Comics, Batman/Superman, Superman/Wonder Woman) in single issues monthly from my comic store. And anything else relevant to either lines, like occasional arcs of Justice League or Teen Titans. I like having a local comic store, literally half a block from my office, so even though I know I could read all of these things in a cheaper format, I like to support the store.

I follow Marvel Cosmic in trades I buy from Amazon to save on price. My LCS doesn't mark trades down or run deals, so always much cheaper to buy from Amazon. I'm usually about a year behind whatever is currently coming out in single issues, which I'm fine with.

I also have a few Image/Vertigo/other series I'm following in trade via Amazon to save on price. I'm often several years behind on this. I just finished getting all of The Unwritten trades. Once I read all of them (on book six so far, but it's a slow careful read), I'll start catching up on some of the other series I've started but neglected over the years like Saga, Morning Glories, and Manhattan Projects. I get current on Walking Dead trades after each season of the TV show ends and I'm usually left wanting more zombie stuff.

I also have plans to read other titles like East of West, The Massive, The Sixth Gun, Wasteland. Then in the hard sci fi genre I have another list I want to get to include Prophet, Roche Limit, Planetoid, Invisible Republic, The Fuse, Cluster, Drifter, Faster Than Light, and others.

Basically there's way more stuff I want to read than I have time or money, so I plug away slowly. I limit myself to a budget of two trades per month to keep it reasonable.