As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout 4] 2 Fast 2 Furious

manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?!Registered User regular
edited August 2015 in Games and Technology
It's said war - war never changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxF10IYOMCo

People do, through the roads they walk.

In 2077, the storm of world war had come again. In two brief hours, most of the planet was reduced to cinders.

CJFrbr0VAAEtv8N.jpg

Take it back!

AIyFL_zpsbf3a7368.jpg

What Is Fallout?

Fallout is a post-apocalyptic RPG franchise, with the first titles developed by Black Isle back in the early 90s before it was popular to make every game ever about the post-apocalypse. Fallout and Fallout 2 are turn-based isometric games with thematic roots in Mad Max & spaghetti Westerns, while Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas are first person shooter/RPG hybrids developed by Bethesda & full of more modern pop-culture references (with New Vegas's script being contributed by the old Black Isle team, mostly to critical acclaim). Survival is a strong narrative note throughout the franchise, although these are not really survival games; you do not need to consume food/water or refine blocks of wood into planks.

What's the deal with these Vaults people are always talking about?

Bastions of pre-war technology and society. A "lucky" few were able to survive the conflict in relative safety by being assigned to live in large underground shelters known as 'Vaults', developed by the Vault Tec corporation in anticipation for the coming devastation. While theoretically self-sufficient and isolated from the hazards of the atomic wasteland, many of these Vaults fell into anarchy and ruin as unforeseen* challenges broke down social order.
...Well, not entirely unforeseen. The Vault project was not so much an effort to preserve lives as it was a social experiment. Complications for each Vault's inhabitants were engineered by Vault Tec, whom intended to monitor and analyze how people responded to each challenge. The end game for Vault Tec's grand experiment is not currently known, and may never be known, as the corporation did not survive the war... we think

You are among those who survived in a sheltered underground environment: A Vault Dweller. Your home did not suffer terminal catastrophe, but keeping it safe may mean venturing beyond it's reinforced walls to walk the scorched Earth.

What will I be doing in these games?

Like most Black Isle and Bethesda titles, Fallout games have a primary quest line that you may follow to see the game's primary story through to it's conclusion, and a whole ton of side objectives you can chase down for fun & profit. These are open world RPGs; you can do more or less whatever you want, and build whatever kind of character you like. You can just go around the wasteland talking to people and solving problems with your wit alone*, or you can go out there guns blazing with a min/maxxed combat twink. Do what's fun for you.

*Caveat: Fallout 3 is not quite as flexible as Fallout, Fallout 2 or New Vegas when it comes to character design. You can solve quite a few quests with diplomacy alone, but you'll still be doing a lot of shooting in the ruins of D.C.

What is the best game? What is the worst game?

The primary titles of the Fallout franchise have their own quirks (the older Black Isle games suffer from some outdated RPG & quest design, the Bethesda titles suffer from a lot of bugs & some holdover BethSoft mechanics that feel clunky), but one of the franchise's strengths overall is it's consistency in quality: each game has it's own worthwhile experience to offer, and it's really just down to taste as to which is the greatest or weakest.

Spin-off titles like Fallout: Tactics are not often well-regarded (though that game honestly isn't bad for what it is, and has been included in Bethesda's own Fallout Anthology).

Fallout 4 has a release date of November 10th for PC, Xbox One and the Playstation 4. Credit to Ender for help with the OP.

manwiththemachinegun on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    there's a vault-boy pinny arcade pin at prime this year >.>

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Much better start to my new vault.

Got Harkness and some nice equipment from lunchboxes so most of my dwellers are actually packing heat now.

Trying to taking expansion a lil more slowly this time around so I don't end up getting everybody on the verge of turning into ghouls with the amount of rads they would be eating from the shabby water treatment plant management.

Looks promising.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Boo! You sniped the OP I just wrote!

Oh well.

Nothing ever goes quite to plan in the wasteland...

EDIT: Also, screw you guys who are playing Fallout Shelter.

My phone won't run it. :|

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I'm still on my first vault despite some missteps.

When I saw that charismatic dwellers had a bonus to making babies, I went a little overboard. After dealing with a crippling water shortage early on, I then realized that the kids were useless for any production activity since they inherited higher charisma from their parents and had 1s in many other stats.

Had periods where I'd alternate between not enough power, food, and water.

What started to turn it all around was when I decided to send a dweller with not much in terms of stats except a bit higher luck than the others. She came back with weapons and armor. Then I started sending the useless charisma kids out foraging. They too came back with armor and weapons. Ditto the mother of the first girl who had slightly less in terms of stats than her daughter. The bonuses from outfits made my production room dwellers a lot more efficient. I have a lot of rooms that are a bit understaffed right now but still filling out my need bars.

My layout is not really the best for defending against raiders but one of the lucky girls just brought back a missile launcher and a laser pistol so I think I'll work something out.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i'm morbidly curious to see if i can salvage my first vault

i have my wasteland guy coming back with a pretty big haul, but all but four people are dead and i don't have enough people to actually man everything sooooooo

Elendil wrote: »
    i'm morbidly curious to see if i can salvage my first vault

i have my wasteland guy coming back with a pretty big haul, but all but four people are dead and i don't have enough people to actually man everything sooooooo

It may be doable depending on how big the vault is. Tough parts are going to be repopulating the vault if you have no radio unlocked and the random fires/roaches that can break out even in empty rooms.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Dismantled all my oversized rooms for caps, replaced them with small ones

Stripped the gear off the corpses

Did a couple rushes for caps to finish building the necessities

When wasteland guy comes back, he'll bring enough caps to make a radio room

I may just pull this out yet

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

Oh well.

PM me the stuff you have and I'll add it in.

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular

Oh well.

Well, you can run one of the Android emulator things like Bluestacks if you want. Obviously you could only play it on your PC, but still. I ran into some weirdness with the zooming and haven't gone back to it just yet, not sure if any of the other emulators handle it better or not.

I do sort of wonder how well running something like Bluestacks on a tablet touchscreen-type PC might work... I've already played quite a bit of the game on my iPad 3, but once I got around 80 vault dwellers, the game was super laggy on it, so I was waiting for the Android version to be able to put some more power behind it...

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

Oh well.

@The Ender If you want to play it period, you can get bluestacks or some other Android emulator on play it on PC. Bluestacks will try and get you to download some random games to keep using it eventually, but it seems like you can bypass that if you're quick (not that it's a huge hassle, but).

Xeddicus on
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Hey Fallout thread!

I am starting up Fallout 3 for the first time on PC and beginning the modding process. I've gotten a good list of mods to install, but am trying to wrap my head around using FOSE. Is there a novice guide on how it works and how to use it? I see that some of the mods I am downloading require it.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Hey Fallout thread!

I am starting up Fallout 3 for the first time on PC and beginning the modding process. I've gotten a good list of mods to install, but am trying to wrap my head around using FOSE. Is there a novice guide on how it works and how to use it? I see that some of the mods I am downloading require it.

download fose from here

extract into your Fallout 3 folder.

Make a shortcut on your desktop to fose_loader.exe and use that link to launch fallout 3.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Oh well.

The Ender If you want to play it period, you can get bluestacks or some other Android emulator on play it on PC. Bluestacks will try and get you to download some random games to keep using it eventually, but it seems like you can bypass that if you're quick (not that it's a huge hassle, but).
    What with the whole touchscreen thing, would it work on a machine without that?

• ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Anyone have an issue with certain objectives not working? I had an objective to have an explorer in the wasteland for 10 hours. I sent a couple of guys out sfter I got thay one, one of which made it for much longer than 10 hours during then evening and overnight, but the objective didn't get completed. Which sucks because I get a lunchbox for it. I'll send out another dweller and see if they can count.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    It seems objectives have to started when you get them. So if you already had one guy out there, you'll need to sent another guy out because the first guy doesn't count towards the objective. I had that happen during a have 5 pregnant dwellers quest and I already had 2 pregnant.

Also, my first vault's better than your vault, my vault's better than yoooouuurs. My vault's better than your vault because my vault eats Cram.

vdnnlm02txzs.png

• DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Any reason for the lack of double or triple rooms?

Looking at the way that vertibird minigun just tears through everything with ease, I got to wondering if there are going to be weapons that are too heavy/powerful to be equipped when you're not wearing power armored.

No way you just get to carry that around willy nilly. Well...I suppose if it's a rare ammo type, the scarcity/expense of it would take care of that issue though.

DreadBert wrote: »
    Any reason for the lack of double or triple rooms?

No reason. I have a double Power, Cafeteria, and Radio rooms but mostly it's because I haven't done room clean up yet. The second level has my Mr. Handy bot in it which has Power, Water, and Food to be automatically collected, which is a big life saver. Seriously, spend the $.99 on him.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Ultimately you're going to want triple linked rooms, and then to upgrade them rather than spread out too quickly with little ones. At least that's what I did, each row I have 3/3/2 as well, optimised.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Ultimately you're going to want triple linked rooms, and then to upgrade them rather than spread out too quickly with little ones. At least that's what I did, each row I have 3/3/2 as well, optimised.
    This is the best way to go. Especially after your vault gets big, having the 3/3/2 layout makes navigation easier so you aren't always dragging dwellers out of their rooms on accident. Keep the two room column as storage and living quarters and then use it to pan up and down.

"I see everything twice!"

Changed it up a bit.

wn7s3clh71v5.png

Any time I need kids, I call this guy.

wrbsma1szj72.png

It feels so wrong that a priest is the best man at wooing women. Oh God.

• Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    The most fitting song to Fallout 4 is from Fallout 3. (Though I don't think it was actually in the game.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yh9RywD_Fw&list=PL1D48182DE974FD36&index=75

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I've heard that inFO3. Not sure if it was a mod added song though.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I can almost guarantee one of the DLC packs will be about pre-nuclear exchange America. No way are they letting all those assets go to waste for just the prologue.

Heck, just give me a whole game in that setting, it would be great.

wrbsma1szj72.png

Technically you should also be putting her in a a clergy outfit too for optimal results!

I may be able to top you though.

The 350+ hours of Crusader Kings 2 makes trying to optimize children a whole thing for me. If I think I'll need more dwellers to work in a certain room, I'll have one of the high stat dwellers you start with hook up with someone with either similar stats or totally average stats so nothing unexpected gets passed on instead. Now some of these folks don't have great charisma. And I only have two charisma boosting outfits, one of which is used by my radio operator. So when I need kids made, one dweller has to borrow the radio operator's clothing while the other dweller changes into the other. So the same sets of sleepwear gets constantly reused by several people, one of whom has to return it to the radio operator afterwards.

Steam Profile
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Oh well.

The Ender If you want to play it period, you can get bluestacks or some other Android emulator on play it on PC. Bluestacks will try and get you to download some random games to keep using it eventually, but it seems like you can bypass that if you're quick (not that it's a huge hassle, but).
    What with the whole touchscreen thing, would it work on a machine without that?

Yeah, you just click to touch basically. Only small issue is zooming, as I assume that takes 2 fingers normally and if you can do that on bluestacks I haven't bothered working out how. But can just double tap a room a few times to zoom in/out as a work around.

wrbsma1szj72.png

Technically you should also be putting her in a a clergy outfit too for optimal results!

I may be able to top you though.

The 350+ hours of Crusader Kings 2 makes trying to optimize children a whole thing for me. If I think I'll need more dwellers to work in a certain room, I'll have one of the high stat dwellers you start with hook up with someone with either similar stats or totally average stats so nothing unexpected gets passed on instead. Now some of these folks don't have great charisma. And I only have two charisma boosting outfits, one of which is used by my radio operator. So when I need kids made, one dweller has to borrow the radio operator's clothing while the other dweller changes into the other. So the same sets of sleepwear gets constantly reused by several people, one of whom has to return it to the radio operator afterwards.

And I don't see a washing machine anywhere in my vault. Eww.

Taking baby steps.

Always going to make sure resource management is running smoothly before I start adding in new rooms and dwellers.

Right now got 16 people but need to get food under control. They're chowing down like crazy.

Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Taking baby steps.

Always going to make sure resource management is running smoothly before I start adding in new rooms and dwellers.

Right now got 16 people but need to get food under control. They're chowing down like crazy.

I suggest sending a bunch out into the wasteland. This seems to cut down on how much food is used back home and definitely lets you find agility boosting outfits that will make your restaurant workers a lot more productive.

Steam Profile
    Good idea.

Right now, my vault certainly isn't wanting for protection, lots of guns to go around so it wouldn't hurt.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I've got two level 50s with a Fatman each guarding my entrance and neither one of them can kill a deathclaw before they go rampaging through my vault. Thinking maybe a nuka-cola bottling room right next door so dwellers with high endurance and lots of firepower are the next room these fuckers meet.

"I see everything twice!"

Went to check on my wasteland scout and she had on what appeared to be the classic enclave power armor. Jackpot.

Nice to see they're smart enough to actually equip that stuff in the field aswell. I sure as hell don't mind.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    The beginning of my game was super slow, I didn't get any gear for quite a long time. No .32 pistols, no 10mms, nothing.

Then the first two guns I finally got were an alien blaster and a laser gatling gun.

That.....certainly made things easier from that point on.

Now I'm trying to push hard for nuclear reactor rooms; two full wings of standard power plants is barely keeping me above red.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I finally got to the first tutorial before it crashed, it was glorious!

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Yeah, think I'll do an energy weapons super scientist lady for my first playthrough of 4. Then a lockpicking gunslinger dude.

God it's going to be a long three months.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    If I could get a Bostonian accent I'd want to play as a punk with a heart of gold who likes to shank people who mess with him. But since that's probably impossible (the accent that is), I'll settle for just shooting whatever. I always enjoy versatile builds in Fallout games when I can afford to, so I aim to do the same here, though firearms will probably be the key on my first run. And speech is important as well; after all, you need speech to convince people that you're always right.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Hmm... well, I got back into Fallout Shelter after a saw a recommendation for another Android emulator called Andyroid. This one uses a virtual machine to basically run a Linux OS to run Android directly, so I'm not sure it even counts as an emulator. At any rate, it seems to work pretty nicely, didn't give me the weird Google Play issues that Bluestacks was giving me, and the most important part is that its zoom function actually works smoothly in FO:S. When you hold Control down, it gives you two semi-transparent circles, your mouse pointer controls one and the other mirrors it, so you either click and hold then move them away from each other to zoom in, or you move them away from each other, then click and hold then bring them back together to zoom out. Just like pinch zooming. And it actually goes smoothly, unlike the laggy, jerky mess I was getting when I tried to zoom in and out in Bluestacks.

I will say it's slightly less easy to set up than Bluestacks I guess. Most processors since about 2006 have had Intel's VT-x or AMD-v, which are the virtualization technologies required by Andyroid to work, but virtualization is usually off by default on most motherboards, so you might have to jump into your BIOS/UEFI and turn on virtualization. Then I ran into a slight installation hiccup because I run a standard account and just elevate things like program installs with an admin account... so it installed some of the required files under my admin's AppData folder. I just had to copy what it installed there to my main account's AppData folder and then it was fine.

But from there it was pretty smooth, just log in with my Google account, then hop to the store and download the game. I got Alistair Tenpenny as a legendary from my second lunchbox... he's pretty good. He's out in the wastes for now to hopefully actually find some damn weapons for my vault while I'm asleep.

Edit: I am seeing some dispute about whether Andyroid is involved with possible adware or malware, so I suppose I should pass the warning along and keep an eye on my machine.

Another one that was brought up was Genymotion, which seems to use the same/similar technique of using VirtualBox by Oracle to just run Android as a virtual machine. So that could be an option as well.

I went ahead and added two-step authentication onto my Google account just in case.

Dranyth on
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I always enjoy versatile builds in Fallout games when I can afford to

See, I'm just the opposite. I love to specialize as much as possible and create borderline unplayable builds that are only good at one thing.

All of my protagonists end up being mono-dimensional cartoon characters. :D

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I like to play with the toys.

This discussion has been closed.