As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout 4] 2 Fast 2 Furious

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    600 caps, 50 power, wasteland gear

I had no idea a lunchbox could be that bad

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    And that's why I never felt the urge to buy any. I didn't get anything good from a lunchbox until my 2nd vault.

edited August 2015
    And that's why I never felt the urge to buy any. I didn't get anything good from a lunchbox until my 2nd vault.
    i actually haven't really had any truly bad lunch boxes up to this one

at the very worst they'd have a higher tier weapon than most, or a significantly better dweller, while i've gotten a couple of legendary items out of them

this is the first time i've gotten one that was complete nonsense

luckily, Vault Gallant got it, rather than Vault Goofus

Vault Goofus needs all the help it can get

Elendil on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, very few worthwhile things have come from my lunchboxes.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    My wasteland scout found a shitload of guns out in the wastes....I didn't get any of them when I "collected" them when she came back.

Ugh.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Well, I'm pushing ahead with my Andyroid version of the game. I ended up with a 'send a dweller out into the wastes for 10 hours' challenge for a lunch box, so Alistair Tenpenny just finished that, with only the two stimpacks I sent him out with. Unfortunately, his endurance is shit so he's irradiated to hell. I didn't go through everything he picked up, I'll check it out more closely in 5 hours when he gets back to base.

I also hope he's got a lot of caps, because I'm running into issues there along with a water shortage and no caps to really add water rooms or upgrade. And I need to start getting some training room setups going! So much to do... and man, I'm getting the shittiest luck on my rushes compared to my original iOS run. I did get another legendary from that lunch box though, Bittercup, who seems ok... I don't have a radio room going yet, which is where she might be the best, but oh well.

edited August 2015
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Hmm... well, I got back into Fallout Shelter after a saw a recommendation for another Android emulator called Andyroid. This one uses a virtual machine to basically run a Linux OS to run Android directly, so I'm not sure it even counts as an emulator. At any rate, it seems to work pretty nicely, didn't give me the weird Google Play issues that Bluestacks was giving me, and the most important part is that its zoom function actually works smoothly in FO:S. When you hold Control down, it gives you two semi-transparent circles, your mouse pointer controls one and the other mirrors it, so you either click and hold then move them away from each other to zoom in, or you move them away from each other, then click and hold then bring them back together to zoom out. Just like pinch zooming. And it actually goes smoothly, unlike the laggy, jerky mess I was getting when I tried to zoom in and out in Bluestacks.

I will say it's slightly less easy to set up than Bluestacks I guess. Most processors since about 2006 have had Intel's VT-x or AMD-v, which are the virtualization technologies required by Andyroid to work, but virtualization is usually off by default on most motherboards, so you might have to jump into your BIOS/UEFI and turn on virtualization. Then I ran into a slight installation hiccup because I run a standard account and just elevate things like program installs with an admin account... so it installed some of the required files under my admin's AppData folder. I just had to copy what it installed there to my main account's AppData folder and then it was fine.

But from there it was pretty smooth, just log in with my Google account, then hop to the store and download the game. I got Alistair Tenpenny as a legendary from my second lunchbox... he's pretty good. He's out in the wastes for now to hopefully actually find some damn weapons for my vault while I'm asleep.

Edit: I am seeing some dispute about whether Andyroid is involved with possible adware or malware, so I suppose I should pass the warning along and keep an eye on my machine.

Another one that was brought up was Genymotion, which seems to use the same/similar technique of using VirtualBox by Oracle to just run Android as a virtual machine. So that could be an option as well.

I went ahead and added two-step authentication onto my Google account just in case.
    Haven't had any problems with viruses or adware on Andy so far.

But it's an issue people bring up when talking about both Bluestacks and Andy. Just got to be careful what you download onto it, hopefully.

Hope you're not using Windows 10 though. I keep having to restart it since the transition.

Dr. Chaos on
    So far I've only downloaded FF:Record Keeper and FO:S, so, I'm set with that so far.

Malwarebytes hasn't come up with anything, my Panda AV full system scan is tomorrow morning, so I'll check it in the morning to see if it doesn't like anything in particular.

But no, not running Win10 yet. Not sure if Genymotion is having the same issues or not.

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    I've got two level 50s with a Fatman each guarding my entrance and neither one of them can kill a deathclaw before they go rampaging through my vault. Thinking maybe a nuka-cola bottling room right next door so dwellers with high endurance and lots of firepower are the next room these fuckers meet.

Ummm yeah deathclaws are no joke and they seem to want to hit my vault back to back (i even forced a fire event to try and get some time to sort shit out) and dead that give revived immediately get put on coffee break which meant reassigning 20 dwellers to rooms. honestly the gave was closer to tedious than fun before but now i cant even sort through my returning dwellers gear and tap rooms fast enough to keep up with consumption and events. I'm done with the game for now, considering it takes about 5 minutes to load every time i want to sign in (200 dwellers).

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    600 caps, 50 power, wasteland gear

I had no idea a lunchbox could be that bad

The issue is that the 500 caps card is considered a rare card like rare gear and dwellers. I've seen far too many of those from my objective lunchboxes to ever think about paying for any.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Outside of Maxing out your luck on all dwellers your passive caps gain isn't really going to flow like that until you get much later into the game. So 500 caps being rare is sort of true.

edit: Was posting the image below whenever hte previous thread closed but I couldn't get it in in time so here:

niV823P.jpg

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I ended up with a 'send a dweller out into the wastes for 10 hours' challenge for a lunch box, so Alistair Tenpenny just finished that, with only the two stimpacks I sent him out with. Unfortunately, his endurance is shit so he's irradiated to hell.

Think he might become ghoulified?

Because that would be ironic.

Outside of Maxing out your luck on all dwellers your passive caps gain isn't really going to flow like that until you get much later into the game. So 500 caps being rare is sort of true.

It doesn't seem like it takes that long to be able to haul in 500 caps if you're diligent about sending dwellers out on expeditions. I may be a lot more aggressive about it than others though.

"Hmmm, level 1 dweller just aged up from childhood but no good room to put them in, no spare weapons, no outfits . . . eh, radscorpions are the best teachers in life anyway so out you go."

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    edited August 2015

It doesn't seem like it takes that long to be able to haul in 500 caps if you're diligent about sending dwellers out on expeditions. I may be a lot more aggressive about it than others though.

"Hmmm, level 1 dweller just aged up from childhood but no good room to put them in, no spare weapons, no outfits . . . eh, radscorpions are the best teachers in life anyway so out you go."

Diligently sending dwellers out on expeditions and having them return isn't really a passive activity though. I meant just letting the game do its own thing in-vault.

tastydonuts on
    edited August 2015
    Turns out ghost people aren't so bad once you get to know them.
    wmYHij5.png

Dr. Chaos on
    i can make 500 caps from a couple minutes of rushing after the cooldown

i'm sitting on like 7000 caps but too few dwellers to require any more expansion atm

it'd be nice if radio stations ever fucking worked, jesus christ

i got like, one dude

Elendil wrote: »
    i can make 500 caps from a couple minutes of rushing after the cooldown

i'm sitting on like 7000 caps but too few dwellers to require any more expansion atm

it'd be nice if radio stations ever fucking worked, jesus christ

i got like, one dude

They're still useful for the happiness boost they give the whole vault but the reliability of attracting a new dweller is negligible.

Steam Profile
    I ended up with a 'send a dweller out into the wastes for 10 hours' challenge for a lunch box, so Alistair Tenpenny just finished that, with only the two stimpacks I sent him out with. Unfortunately, his endurance is shit so he's irradiated to hell.

Think he might become ghoulified?

Because that would be ironic.

I'm sure I'd get this if I hadn't gotten horribly sidetracked from the main questline in FO3... I'm pretty sure I got to the point where my next goal was to head to Tenpenny Towers or something, and then just wandered. And then the game got horribly unstable and I couldn't really continue that playthrough. Haven't been back to FO3 since.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    wmYHij5.png

I just got that outfit today. It's so weird and awesome.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    wmYHij5.png

They were only grumpy because they were permanently fused to a suit; I'd be grumpy too if that happened to me.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    The Wasteland outfits are the mainstays of my explorers. And the one dweller that acts as the guard against raiders. Her level is still pretty low so I have her in a room doing stuff for experience and picking out the ghost person when the alarm sounds isn't too tough.

Now I do find it a bit odd that most of my diner workers wear handyman suits like it's some sort of weird, theme restaurant . . .

Steam Profile
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    wmYHij5.png

is that his mummy?

Buttcleft on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The Wasteland outfits are the mainstays of my explorers. And the one dweller that acts as the guard against raiders. Her level is still pretty low so I have her in a room doing stuff for experience and picking out the ghost person when the alarm sounds isn't too tough.

Now I do find it a bit odd that most of my diner workers wear handyman suits like it's some sort of weird, theme restaurant . . .
    My entire cafeteria staff is in Raider gear.

It's really strange.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    wmYHij5.png

is that his mummy?

I thought it looked like Dr. Frankenstein and The Monster. Someone should do a Webcomic using this game. Straight Outta Vault-Tec!

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    My vault thus far

FalloutShelter_ScreenShot.jpg

Currently trying to train up stats and farm stimpacks so I can begin gearing up

I am seriously getting some fucking X-Com rolls on rushes this time around. 24%, 26%, it doesn't matter, everything fails 80-90% of the time. This is getting god damn absurd.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    All these miserable folks having fun with their phone games spurred me on to do a quick run through New Vegas.
    This is one of the few times I went with Yes Man. I was happily being moved around as House's pawn until he told me to kill the BoS.

I guess that normally wasn't a problem for me because I'd never done their stuff before, but this run I bumped into Veronica early and thought, "What the Hell? Let's do some BoS stuff,"

And then it's like... yeah, let's go prove their xenophobia correct by stabbing them in the back. Plus I kinda liked most of their guys. :| House won't even reconsider it at all.

So, fuck it. Turn my Anti-Materiel rifle on the robots, ice Mr. House (at least I made it quick for him), cozy up with Yes Man.

Only regrets this run were that I accidentally mowed down the Kings before getting Rex (just derped and forgot that his quest was in there), and I decided to test out the ARCHIMEDES defensive fire. If you do that, apparently the Legion will move in to occupy HELIOS I and will kill Dr. Rivas (and, hilariously, recruit Mr. Fantastic - whom I was all too happy to shoot in the head).

With Love and Courage
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I find it easily justifiable to kill the Brotherhood of Steel if you go to Hidden Valley after doing Dead Money... without Veronica.
    Sure, let's use the same methods as the most vile xenocidal madman in the wastes. Surely that won't backfire!

Plus in most of the endings they just turn into tech bandits anyway.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I feel bad for the Mojave Brotherhood. Elijah fucked them up royally by going to war with the NCR. Also goes to show how the Capital Brotherhood being not quite such giant tools paid off. Recruiting and protecting some of the populace does wonders for your numbers and your popularity. A lesson the Mojave Bros never quite grasped.

Makes me wonder how ugly things will be between the Institute and the BoS.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    I feel bad for the Mojave Brotherhood. Elijah fucked them up royally by going to war with the NCR. Also goes to show how the Capital Brotherhood being not quite such giant tools paid off. Recruiting and protecting some of the populace does wonders for your numbers and your popularity. A lesson the Mojave Bros never quite grasped.

Makes me wonder how ugly things will be between the Institute and the BoS.

It's telling how readily the Mojave BOS and the NCR are to work out a truce late game once Elijah is out of the picture and you ignore Colonel Moore.

Steam Profile
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I hope fallout 4 has a bow and arrow

And the gameplay feel of far cry 4

edited August 2015
    My vault thus far

FalloutShelter_ScreenShot.jpg

Currently trying to train up stats and farm stimpacks so I can begin gearing up

Man, hope you have a bunch of fat men and other high damage weapons because your vault has like 0 mobility vs deathclaw assaults.

Large radroach and molerat invasions also might wreck you a little. There's so little mobility in your vault.I guess you're going to start another shaft on the far left wall?

I am seriously getting some fucking X-Com rolls on rushes this time around. 24%, 26%, it doesn't matter, everything fails 80-90% of the time. This is getting god damn absurd.

I think there's a hard cap to how many successes you can get in a stretch of time. My rooms are ~15% success for rushes but if I spam them all it gets to a point where they all just start to fail.

tastydonuts on
    edited August 2015

I think there's a hard cap to how many successes you can get in a stretch of time. My rooms are ~15% success for rushes but if I spam them all it gets to a point where they all just start to fail.

Nah, no way it works like that. On iOS I had extremely good luck for the most part. But up until about today, on my Android version, I just had the most ridiculously bad luck the entire time. Today has finally actually been fairly decent.

Dranyth on

Nah, no way it works like that. On iOS I had extremely good luck for the most part. But up until about today, on my Android version, I just had the most ridiculously bad luck the entire time. Today has finally actually been fairly decent.

I play on the iphone, and only on the iphone.

If I go room to room to rush my entire vault for objectives, there's a point where I'll just constantly fail even with low failure rates on rooms. It's happened to me through all three updates to the game. I suppose it could be the whims of the RNG too, idk.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I have failed so many rushes. Even when they are at 20% I fail, I swear that % is the chance for success.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Right now my defense in fallout shelter is that I keep my entrance unguarded. Every single raider party makes a beeline towards my original power plant, which is basically the only room on my top floor. The power plant is home to the largest group of gun enthusiasts in my vault, including my chief engineer who is sporting a suit of power armor and a flamethrower that I've gotten from lunchboxes.

Speaking of lunch boxes, I've taken to rebooting my phone before opening them ever since the game crashed while opening a lunchbox and cheated me out of my loot.

Also, vault incidents like fires, rad roaches, and make rats seem incapable of climbing elevators. If you leave a buffer of dirt between your floors, then any outbreaks will be compartmentalized to that floor.

I had some mole rats attack a fresh power plant that I was starting up and was only being operated by a pregnant woman. The woman fled, and the mole rats left peacefully moments later because there was nobody to fight and no adjacent rooms to spread to.

Imo my vault is doing pretty good. I just unlocked game rooms and all of my resources are stable. I'd like to find some higher quality weapons though. I'm gonna go heavy on the game rooms and train my current away teams and the next batch of kids to be lucky guys for finding good loot.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Man, this game really brings out my brutal side. All new dwellers are immediately sent back out into the wastes. There they must fight until they fall. If they've got good loot they get revived. If not then too bad. I've only brought back one dude out of something like thirty.

"I see everything twice!"

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I had one really bad vault, but then started over and now I seem to be doing pretty well. Only 13 residents so far, but everyone is happy and nobody has died. I lucked out and got a rocket launcher weapon and a decent set of armor out of a lunchbox and so I sent the most useless person out into the wastes with it.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    They should make Fallout Shelter into a TCG/board game combo. It wouldn't be hard to do, its pretty much halfway there already.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    One of my explorers just found the "mean green monster. " It is a plasma rifle with 17-23 damage. :)

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
This discussion has been closed.