As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited April 2016 in Games and Technology
hsRxkHZ.png?1

Welcome to the Giant Bomb thread, home of videos and articles on this hip new video game trend. They came about after controversy with founder Jeff Gerstmann's review on GameSpot, but now they're back with GameSpot but just as their own thing. Don't think about it too much. Instead, enjoy fine content such as...

Quick Looks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxf0zL9FEQs

The Giant Bombcast!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMX057YAwN0

Newcomer Giant Beastcast!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnm673gEvY

AND MORE THAT I CAN'T SHOW BECAUSE THEY'RE PREMIUM CONTENT. But you can see, by heading over to the Giant Bomb Store and buying a subscription! In addition to sweet exclusive content like Unprofessional Fridays and, I dunno, ongoing coverage of Brad's terrible Dota 2 addiction! Or don't; it's a free internet.

STARRING INTERNET FAMOUS PEOPLE LIKE

1HZHIue.png
JEFF GERSTMANN

cPgCZUd.jpg
BRAD SHOEMAKER

hPN6BNp.gif
VINNY CARAVELLA

4RH8I7C.jpg
DAN RYCKERT

oqOYYvy.jpg
AND THE REST

And remember: this isn't a chat thread, so keep the derails to a pleasant minimum!

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'll start off this Giantbomb thread by posting a Tested video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7OfRk5h8Q0

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about a racing wheel

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I always do...then I remember how much they cost and hope one day I get a sponsorship like Drew Scanlon.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Good to have you back, Giant Bomb thread.

I enjoyed watching VinnyVania yesterday. He's on the hardest level in Castlevania III. He died at the footsteps of the boss, which is the Doppelganger. I remember him being such a pain in the ass and always dreaded that fight. I beat him three times, once with every companion. Then I tried to do it without taking a companion and found it to be too frustrating, so I never went back to it.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Don't buy a racing wheel.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

I enjoyed watching VinnyVania yesterday. He's on the hardest level in Castlevania III. He died at the footsteps of the boss, which is the Doppelganger. I remember him being such a pain in the ass and always dreaded that fight. I beat him three times, once with every companion. Then I tried to do it without taking a companion and found it to be too frustrating, so I never went back to it.

The walkthrough video I just watched made him seem pretty simple, especially since he is only as powerful as you, Trevor. Like, he can't jump or shoot anything you can't, and seems easily cheeseable.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

The walkthrough video I just watched made him seem pretty simple, especially since he is only as powerful as you, Trevor. Like, he can't jump or shoot anything you can't, and seems easily cheeseable.

Yeah, I saw a walkthrough video or two that made him look simple, but I suspect those were players who really knew what they were doing. Also, keep in mind he can take a lot more hits than the player can. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes Vinny to beat him. Maybe he'll barrel right through it!

• Options
    edited August 2015

Yeah, I saw a walkthrough video or two that made him look simple, but I suspect those were players who really knew what they were doing. Also, keep in mind he can take a lot more hits than the player can. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes Vinny to beat him. Maybe he'll barrel right through it!

Since I posted this, I got the Castlevania III itch. Proceeded to dust off my Wii, load up the virtual console, buy Castlevania III, and made it to the double bone dragon boss before my first game over. Not bad for 45 minutes! I was following Vinny's same route. Now my wife is playing through from the beginning.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Well normally I'd say doing what Vinny did is a bad idea, but didn't they figure out that even though Alucard and Grant DiNasty are probably better than Sypha, the other route Vinny avoided is actually harder?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Did you guys play Ace Triker yet?

HavocHQ (also the creator of Commander Ryckert) made a game about Jason, Lisa, and Samantha riding future trikes outrunning a pyrotechnic deathwall and performing sick stunts. It's pretty awesome, stick around for the title screen and game over music.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    I played a bit of it the other day when I found it. Played as Lisa, natch. I like the cool trike transforming thing.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Wow. I know bitching about Unprofessional Fridays is a cliche by this point, but Watching Old Giant Bomb Videos has to be rock bottom.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Wow. I know bitching about Unprofessional Fridays is a cliche by this point, but Watching Old Giant Bomb Videos has to be rock bottom.

Counterpoint; learning what happened with the Shadow Complex QL EX and watching a bit of old stuff for silly fun was the highlight of that UPF.

• Options
    Well normally I'd say doing what Vinny did is a bad idea, but didn't they figure out that even though Alucard and Grant DiNasty are probably better than Sypha, the other route Vinny avoided is actually harder?

Yeah, Alucard's route is pretty difficult. Grant's route basically turns you around once you get him and you can choose between Sypha's or Alucard's route. Grant makes the game so much easier because of his traversal abilities. I'd have suggested to Vinny that he take Grant, but it's all good. All the routes eventually converge to the same linear stages in the castle in the end.

• Options
    No way. Sypha's always easy if you pick up Lightning Magic and destroy bosses with it. Maybe it's because I played CV3 A LOT, but traversing levels with Trevor never was an issue for me.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Oh boy, MGS finale is up!...2 hours oh my God!

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular

Counterpoint; learning what happened with the Shadow Complex QL EX and watching a bit of old stuff for silly fun was the highlight of that UPF.

Wait, what happened with that quick look?

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoN wrote: »

It was the first Quick Look EX, but there was some problem with the video, so Brad recreated everything so that it matched the audio. They did that rather than just record a regular Quick Look because it let them put it out a week earlier.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »

They lost all the video, but they still had the audio

But because it was a Quick Look EX (the dev came in to demo it), they were allowed to show it ahead of the normal video embargo, so they couldn't just record a normal QL

So Brad had to go back and sort of manually recreate everything that happened in the QL EX, cut it together, and put the audio on top of it

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Haha that's awesome

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    They mentioned on the Bombcast that you can tell something's off by looking at the ammo count or something.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xNtLMtjivg

Up next: Breaking Brad intro!

• Options
    Oh man...seeing MGS Scanlon, I envy Drew. It took me quite some tries to get through that fight the first time I did it.

• Options
    Just finished MGScanlon.

What a season.

I guess they're doing Ground Zeroes as some sort of MGScanlon epilogue since it's fairly short, and I guess they're skipping Peace Walker for the sake of time. I wonder if Drew wants to get a little Revengeance on.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Much to my surprise, I beat the Doppelganger boss in Castlevania III on my second try this morning. I managed to cheese it using Sypha's lightning. When the Doppelganger took Sypha's form, it would often sit still and cast the fire spell well out of range. I'd just spam lightning until it decided to move, then I'd reposition myself.

The final level is a bit of a pain for me at the moment.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I was enjoying the heck out of the guys' chemistry in Feist, but man, watching three people failing to figure out that "puzzle" at the end and then literally blaming bad level design on it. Augh.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Much to my surprise, I beat the Doppelganger boss in Castlevania III on my second try this morning. I managed to cheese it using Sypha's lightning. When the Doppelganger took Sypha's form, it would often sit still and cast the fire spell well out of range. I'd just spam lightning until it decided to move, then I'd reposition myself.

You can also spam transforming on the doppelganger, he has a delay when he changes and you can cheese off a few lashes on him.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Krathoon wrote: »

You can also spam transforming on the doppelganger, he has a delay when he changes and you can cheese off a few lashes on him.

Yeah, he also drops to the ground to transform if he's in mid-jump, which is extremely useful. I think I really took advantage of that trick as I was playing the game when it was current. It's also why I never beat him on a Trevor-only run.

SteevL on
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Just finished MGScanlon.

What a season.

I guess they're doing Ground Zeroes as some sort of MGScanlon epilogue since it's fairly short, and I guess they're skipping Peace Walker for the sake of time. I wonder if Drew wants to get a little Revengeance on.

They could double team that game and do some serious progress. Or they can watch the YouTube episodes with commentary which is cool too.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Samantha Kalman's interview on the most recent Beastcast. Nice to get an inside view on the Kickstarter (and Ouya!) process from the perspective of a smaller dev.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Just finished MGScanlon.

What a season.

I really hope they do Revengeance as that game is awesome, but I don't know how into character action games Drew is.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    This week of MGScanlon really spoiled me. Keep expecting something at midnight.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Suprised to see Vinny in Rick & Morty, he even fixed things and said I'm walkin' here!

a66zstmuj7ld.png

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Why are you surprised? Vinny has always been on Rick and Morty.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Apparently someone at Atlus said Persona 5 was definitely coming out in 2015.

I have still only experienced any Persona-related media through Giant Bomb videos, so I have no idea if I'll actually like playing one or not.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'm watching this Sentris QLEX, and all I can think of during Vinny's 3rd track full of 400BPM nonsense is
    "Dear God, he made a hit nightcore track."

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

I have still only experienced any Persona-related media through Giant Bomb videos, so I have no idea if I'll actually like playing one or not.

So in Persona 4 Golden, they had a very easy mode where you literally could not die, the game wouldn't let you

It basically let you ignore all of the game's combat and customization systems in order to just play the good parts of the game (the social stuff) the way you wanted to

It was definitely my ideal way of playing P4G, and I have to imagine they'd include something similar in P5

• Options
    So they're doing a 3 hour episode of MGScanlon tonight. Peace Walker, the movie.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

So in Persona 4 Golden, they had a very easy mode where you literally could not die, the game wouldn't let you

It basically let you ignore all of the game's combat and customization systems in order to just play the good parts of the game (the social stuff) the way you wanted to

It was definitely my ideal way of playing P4G, and I have to imagine they'd include something similar in P5

There are so many awesome quality of life bits to Golden, it's made playing other JRPGs hard.

I'm with you - I want all that shit in 5 or it'll feel like just waiting for the super-rad 3 disc Platinum version in 3 years.

• Options
    I only have access to Persona 4 on PSN/PS3. I wouldn't mind a no fuck up mode....

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.