As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Talk About [Movies]; Say Interesting Things; Don't Be Jerks

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/jemaine-clement-says-what-we-do-in-the-shadows-sequel-is-in-the-works-117

rather they do something new, but I bet they can cook up something surprising.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    There needs to be some sort of higher-order Super Agree reaction for Astaereth's review of creep. Because yes, yes, all of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlZydtG3xqI

What We Do In the Shadows 2 can work if they go to Australia or somewhere else to riff on the monster subculture, or maybe New Zealand becomes a new monster mecca and the old school has to deal with the new dickhead monsters.

In other news, Red Letter Media has a batman & Robin commentary track up now, which would have been nice to have when watching the movie for the first time in a long time a week or two ago.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

What We Do In the Shadows 2 can work if they go to Australia or somewhere else to riff on the monster subculture, or maybe New Zealand becomes a new monster mecca and the old school has to deal with the new dickhead monsters.

It could also be the opposite, where the monsters everywhere else have assimilated quite well, and they basically 'encourage' their morons to go to New Zealand.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I am watching Creep, outta curiosity

yo this motherfucka crazy, time to leave was like, 12 seconds in.
    There's no wife and kid, and he probably collects and kills cameramen as Peach Fuzz, right?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I watch Sherman's March last night, a documentary by a filmmaker who says he wants to make one about Sherman's March, but his girlfriend breaks up with him, and it becomes about him and women. I enjoyed it, but that's all not important; I just love it when a camera catches something so unexpected. Start watching at 4:30, it's quite brief.

And the AntiChrist will come into power OOH JELLYBEANS

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I am watching Creep, outta curiosity

yo this motherfucka crazy, time to leave was like, 12 seconds in.
    There's no wife and kid, and he probably collects and kills cameramen as Peach Fuzz, right?

The whole film is basically super meta.
    You can tell five minutes in that this movie is fucking terrible. The warning signs are everywhere. And yet, for no good reason, you keep watching, even as it gets stupider and stupider.

And ultimately, the movie murders your misplaced faith in cinema with an axe.

Duplass is a genius, man. He's got a message, man.

(The message is: "Stop giving me money.")

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FantastikaFantastika Betting That The Levee Will HoldRegistered User regular
    I pretty sure it was unintentional but I really liked how Straight Outta Compton kind of mirrored the actual group in terms of quality. The first half, when Ice Cube is part of the group, is pretty awesome. The whole Detroit concert is probably the high point of the movie. The second half, after Cube leaves the group, isn't that great, much like the actual group itself. It kind of turns into a big Dre/Cube fluff piece in the second half that kind of reminded me of a Behind The Music special. There's an intensity in the first half that seems like it's missing in the second half of the movie. It's a shame really.

There are some other problems too. It's does kind of waste a pretty uncanny Snoop Dogg performance by Keith Stanfield. He gets the swagger and almost exact vocal cadence down. It's amazing. Get me a Snoop Dogg biopic starring him stat. Ren and Yella are pretty much side notes at best. They're barely given any screentime compared to the other 3. And finally, it pretty much ignores the rampant misogyny that was part of the group. It's kind of irresponsible that they don't even mention the Dee Barnes stuff with Dre.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    WHAS is basically a cartoon universe, so yeah it gets very silly and very wacky. The show is even more so, and honestly might be better than the film. Its greatness lies in the performances (every time Paul Rudd is onscreen is magical) and how unafraid it is to go completely absurd (like the "going into town" scene in the film, or the whole character of Mitch). Also the entire Alan Shemper scene is comedy genius.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Man fuck that Peach Fuzz mask.

The jump scares are super lame, but that bit where he's standing in the doorway wearing the mask was genuinely spooky. The rest of this tho? Blarf.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I thought Creep was inconsistent, but I was also operating under the assumption that Josef was some kind of Cthulian monster, which... still makes no fucking sense, but it least it would explain how quickly Brice gets indoctrinated and why he has progressively more and more disturbing dreams the further away from his encounter from Josef.

Duplass evidently has a plan for two sequels that probably aren't going to get made, so there's more story there.

There should have just also been story in the first one.

Also do we hate Duplass? I'm picking up some Duplass hate and I've never really disliked him.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    He's the guy in Safety Not Guaranteed, right? Atomika and a couple others hate that thing like AM.

I liked it, and Mr Duplass. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I liked Safety Not Guaranteed. It was fun.

But my only experience with Duplass is that and Creep, and I disliked Creep way more than I liked SNG, so it earns him a net "Fuck you."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    The One I Love was good

He didn't direct that tho

• Options
    Oh right. The One I Love was pretty great, actually.

That gives Duplass 2 successes and 26 failures in my book.

(I am counting Creep 26 times.)

• Options
    Still sounds better than American Hustle.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Continuing your blood feud against Russel Texi?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I have so many feuds going I don't know where to begin. All I know is they. will. never. end.

I can't get too mad at Duplass because he's good on The League, he seems decent enough as an actor, but his movies aren't that good. BUT, he's not fleecing studios out of millions of dollars with profundity or p-wordness, they're all itty bitty indie movies that I can just ignore.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm much more bothered by Russel's output than Duplass who I didn't even know was a person.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Fantastika wrote: »
    I pretty sure it was unintentional but I really liked how Straight Outta Compton kind of mirrored the actual group in terms of quality. The first half, when Ice Cube is part of the group, is pretty awesome. The whole Detroit concert is probably the high point of the movie. The second half, after Cube leaves the group, isn't that great, much like the actual group itself. It kind of turns into a big Dre/Cube fluff piece in the second half that kind of reminded me of a Behind The Music special. There's an intensity in the first half that seems like it's missing in the second half of the movie. It's a shame really.

There are some other problems too. It's does kind of waste a pretty uncanny Snoop Dogg performance by Keith Stanfield. He gets the swagger and almost exact vocal cadence down. It's amazing. Get me a Snoop Dogg biopic starring him stat. Ren and Yella are pretty much side notes at best. They're barely given any screentime compared to the other 3. And finally, it pretty much ignores the rampant misogyny that was part of the group. It's kind of irresponsible that they don't even mention the Dee Barnes stuff with Dre.

From "Will they shoot?"
    A black woman is my manager, not in the kitchen. So would you please stop bitchin?

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Duplass started out super negative in my book because he made the movie Cyrus, which is a really shitty indie comedy that's primarily terrible because it's shot all handheld-shakycam like it's a found footage horror movie (but it's not a found footage comedy, it's just shot poorly). So I was angry at him for that and swore off his movies--I know they're cheap but he can afford a friggin' tripod for shit's sake--and then my anger gradually relaxed a bit because he's a decent actor and I liked Safety Not Guaranteed and The One I Love is super good. So I assumed he would be okay in Creep, but it turns out he helped make the movie (instead of a script, he and the director wrote an outline together and then improvised everything), and even if he hadn't, as the only name actor in the film he's the reason it exists and got distribution and ended up in front of me on Netflix.

So Duplass is at like, plus 3, minus a billion with me right now.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    I agree with you on Duplass as much as I disagree with you about everything you've ever said about the MCU.

I guess we can be friends again.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/jemaine-clement-says-what-we-do-in-the-shadows-sequel-is-in-the-works-117

rather they do something new, but I bet they can cook up something surprising.

The first words out of my mouth after seeing this movie were "I would totally watch a sequel following Rhys Darby" so this makes me pretty happy.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    FantastikaFantastika Betting That The Levee Will HoldRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

From "Will they shoot?"
    A black woman is my manager, not in the kitchen. So would you please stop bitchin?

That's an Ice Cube track, not a NWA one. The movie's like 140 minutes long and I swear no female gets more than maybe 5 minutes of screentime and no more than 10 lines I would guess in the entire thing.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Duplass started out super negative in my book because he made the movie Cyrus, which is a really shitty indie comedy that's primarily terrible because it's shot all handheld-shakycam like it's a found footage horror movie (but it's not a found footage comedy, it's just shot poorly). So I was angry at him for that and swore off his movies--I know they're cheap but he can afford a friggin' tripod for shit's sake--and then my anger gradually relaxed a bit because he's a decent actor and I liked Safety Not Guaranteed and The One I Love is super good. So I assumed he would be okay in Creep, but it turns out he helped make the movie (instead of a script, he and the director wrote an outline together and then improvised everything), and even if he hadn't, as the only name actor in the film he's the reason it exists and got distribution and ended up in front of me on Netflix.

So Duplass is at like, plus 3, minus a billion with me right now.

Completely fair! I haven't seen Cyrus, but I did like Jeff, Who Lives at Home, and he's... like, the best part of The League.

I didn't think he was awful in Creep, but the movie was by and large bad. I didn't think Brice did a terrible job, either; they're just two characters that emote very well, just the wrong emotion for what is going on, I think.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    I think Duplass could have been good as Josef in a completely different movie with a completely different tone. One that, for starters, had a script and a tripod. The guy's likeable, and he can do creepy (HAHAHA), but that thing was just pants on head.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

From "Will they shoot?"

That's an Ice Cube track, not a NWA one. The movie's like 140 minutes long and I swear no female gets more than maybe 5 minutes of screentime and no more than 10 lines I would guess in the entire thing.

Sorry, I'm not trying to fish for an argument with that. I just wanted to quote a song.

Though are you referring to "A Bitch is a Bitch" and "I Ain't the One" and "Just Don't Bite It"?

I take more problem with the fact that MC Ren and DJ Yella was relegated to the sidelines as comic relief than any shortage of screentime for the female cast. They're actually in the eponymous group.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    I think Duplass could have been good as Josef in a completely different movie with a completely different tone. One that, for starters, had a script and a tripod. The guy's likeable, and he can do creepy (HAHAHA), but that thing was just pants on head.

It's just frustrating to me because Duplass is no longer at the point (if he ever was there) where he needs to be careless and fly by the seat of his pants just to get a movie made. He can afford to take a little time and a little money and a little care and make something worthwhile. And if at this point he doesn't want to do that, that's an artistic choice and one that I strenuously disagree with. It just becomes laziness.

Okay I'm done ranting about Duplass, he gets no more of my mental space.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Forgive me if I'm thinking of a different movie. But didn't SooC have a casting call for women, divided in classes A through D, with hot white chicks in group A, all the way to dark skinned ladies in class D? Beyoncé apparently only classified as a class B.

Interesting, it auto corrects her name....

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

From "Will they shoot?"

Going meta on this, have you seen the buzzfeed clip where they review real casting calls? The Compton one fits right in.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Slate thinks the FF in the movie were assholes.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2015/08/the_fantastic_four_movie_flop_the_marvel_superheroes_are_gigantic_jerks.html

Judging the team from the early comics is a stupid idea, and strangely he dodges the fact back then how Sue was the stereotypical damsel in the distress that was the target for sexism in that period. He forgets the the characters have evolved since then in the comics and other media. Waid's and Byrne's comics, for instance, are classics. Byrne made Sue the team power house and a strong female character who can look after herself, not the team's doormat. Waid's was a light hearted family drama with a self conscious, responsible Reed who adored his family, and that existed to some extent prior to Waid - like in Lobdell's comics.

• Options

It's just frustrating to me because Duplass is no longer at the point (if he ever was there) where he needs to be careless and fly by the seat of his pants just to get a movie made. He can afford to take a little time and a little money and a little care and make something worthwhile. And if at this point he doesn't want to do that, that's an artistic choice and one that I strenuously disagree with. It just becomes laziness.

It seemed like a sort of lark that he filmed one weekend because he was bored. Which stands in stark contrast to such ventures as Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing, which basically was filmed in a weekend on a shoestring budget and also almost entirely helmed by one man, except was actually pretty great.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Speaking of Duplass, I have watched him in Togetherness his HBO series.

I don't even know what it is.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Speaking of Duplass, I have watched him in Togetherness his HBO series.

I don't even know what it is.

Basically HBO's Parenthood.

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Taye Diggs STILL looks young.

Saw Diggs in Hedwig a few weeks ago. Stuck around afterward because my wife has been in love with him basically since she was in high school and she wanted to meet him. You are right, he doesn't age.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I hated Safety Not Guaranteed because Duplass' character was a massive fucking weirdo and a creep and largely acted that way because the script needed him to be mysterious, and then the cool hipster girl falls in love with him because reasons, despite the fact we all learn that he's a delusional crazy person who lied about stalking his ex.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular

It seemed like a sort of lark that he filmed one weekend because he was bored. Which stands in stark contrast to such ventures as Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing, which basically was filmed in a weekend on a shoestring budget and also almost entirely helmed by one man, except was actually pretty great.

I forgot there was a different Much Ado About Nothing made a few years ago, and for a second I thought you were saying that the Kenneth Brenna Shakespeare movie was directed by Whedon and filmed in a weekend with no budget (for the dozen or so big name actors in it).

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I watched Red Eye this weekend, mainly because I generally find Cillian Murphy very watchable and I was curious how they'd pull off their high concept plot. It's not a very good film (though I don't think it's bad either - it mainly feels like an okayish B thriller from the '90s), but I was surprised by how much I didn't dislike Rachel McAdams (I tend to find her usual aren't-I-cute shtik annoying and nauseating) - and why is it that Murphy doesn't play villains more often?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Spoiler errata for The Man from UNCLE:
    - Napoleon Solo's character building + Henry Cavill's mannered performance breaks the movie for me. Mind you, it's not a "bad" performance, but he's very obviously doing a character, and it comes off as a cartoonishly exaggerated version of Connery-era James Bond, but the script also makes sure that you never have any reason to like him. So imagine a suave, sophisticated, womanizing, alcoholic, aristocratic muderous sociopath, and then take away anything that might make him charming. Cavil's portrayal of this weird character just grates more and more as the film goes on, and while I definitely can see that it's based on the original Napoleon Solo, Robert Vaughn, instead of being an homage it comes across as robotic and creepy. It doesn't help that Solo is given this insanely convoluted backstory describing how after serving in the military he became a black-market art dealer, con artist, and master pickpocket, none of which have any bearing on the plot at all, . . . . yet they keep bringing it up, like in a weird scene at a fancy party where Solo pickpockets like five people for no discernible reason. I get the feeling as if Solo was supposed to be this huge dry comic relief character, a la Robert Downey, Jr, against Ilya Kuryakin's intense straightman, but it fell flat almost every time. Really the only time I remembered thinking Solo was funny was when he grabbed the pillow and laid down on the couch after being poisoned.

- Interesting to note, while Ian Fleming did not create The Man from UNCLE, the original TV show was largely based on his 007 series of books and films, and Fleming himself helped the show as a consultant, even creating one of the leads -- you guessed it -- Napoleon Solo.

- The script constantly makes references to Ilya Kuryakin's imposing size and strength. The problem with that in the film is that while Armie Hammer is almost freakishly tall in real life (6'5"), he's skinny as a rail and the only athlete I could ever see him as is a long-distance runner. There's nothing imposing about him. As well, he's constantly in the same scene with Henry Cavill, who at 6'2" is not exactly small himself, thus diminishing any major height disparity we might get from a partner of more average stature; if Solo were played by someone like Tom Hardy or Joseph Gordon-Levitt, the height difference would be 8 inches instead of a paltry three. To make matters worse, stick-boy Hammer is supposed to be the Russian strongman, but Cavill is constantly parading around in peak Superman physique, huge muscles barely kept from ripping through his clothing at all times. Simply to say, Henry Cavill looks like he could kill you with one punch, and Armie Hammer looks like a wiry beatnik.

- Anyone looking for Guy Richie to end his streak of turning interesting complicated women into mere damsels in distress by the finale need not look here.

I have no doubt this is true, but I have to say, one of the most attractive things from TMFU (that's a very unfortunate acronym?) is an unexpected reversal from Hollywood. We've had a pretty consistent guarantee for ~30 years that, of your predictable Anglo/American + Typically Nonspecific Fake Eurasian Cold War duo of dudes, the later is always the hulking, muscular bruiser. Granted, the former is still the classy posh guy, so that's true, but it's an unexpected reversal nonetheless.

This is one of the few movies in recent memory that has the duo, and pulls the reverse. And I say considering Red Heat is probably one of the better attempts at that formula.

Was interested in this film, but gradually lost interest the more I considered all the other takes on the same formula (both strict spy and more general crime movies) I've seen. With your review I think I'll Redbox it somewhere down the line.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Spoiler errata for The Man from UNCLE:
    - Napoleon Solo's character building + Henry Cavill's mannered performance breaks the movie for me. Mind you, it's not a "bad" performance, but he's very obviously doing a character, and it comes off as a cartoonishly exaggerated version of Connery-era James Bond, but the script also makes sure that you never have any reason to like him. So imagine a suave, sophisticated, womanizing, alcoholic, aristocratic muderous sociopath, and then take away anything that might make him charming. Cavil's portrayal of this weird character just grates more and more as the film goes on, and while I definitely can see that it's based on the original Napoleon Solo, Robert Vaughn, instead of being an homage it comes across as robotic and creepy. It doesn't help that Solo is given this insanely convoluted backstory describing how after serving in the military he became a black-market art dealer, con artist, and master pickpocket, none of which have any bearing on the plot at all, . . . . yet they keep bringing it up, like in a weird scene at a fancy party where Solo pickpockets like five people for no discernible reason. I get the feeling as if Solo was supposed to be this huge dry comic relief character, a la Robert Downey, Jr, against Ilya Kuryakin's intense straightman, but it fell flat almost every time. Really the only time I remembered thinking Solo was funny was when he grabbed the pillow and laid down on the couch after being poisoned.

- Interesting to note, while Ian Fleming did not create The Man from UNCLE, the original TV show was largely based on his 007 series of books and films, and Fleming himself helped the show as a consultant, even creating one of the leads -- you guessed it -- Napoleon Solo.

- The script constantly makes references to Ilya Kuryakin's imposing size and strength. The problem with that in the film is that while Armie Hammer is almost freakishly tall in real life (6'5"), he's skinny as a rail and the only athlete I could ever see him as is a long-distance runner. There's nothing imposing about him. As well, he's constantly in the same scene with Henry Cavill, who at 6'2" is not exactly small himself, thus diminishing any major height disparity we might get from a partner of more average stature; if Solo were played by someone like Tom Hardy or Joseph Gordon-Levitt, the height difference would be 8 inches instead of a paltry three. To make matters worse, stick-boy Hammer is supposed to be the Russian strongman, but Cavill is constantly parading around in peak Superman physique, huge muscles barely kept from ripping through his clothing at all times. Simply to say, Henry Cavill looks like he could kill you with one punch, and Armie Hammer looks like a wiry beatnik.

- Anyone looking for Guy Richie to end his streak of turning interesting complicated women into mere damsels in distress by the finale need not look here.

I have no doubt this is true, but I have to say, one of the most attractive things from TMFU (that's a very unfortunate acronym?) is an unexpected reversal from Hollywood. We've had a pretty consistent guarantee for ~30 years that, of your predictable Anglo/American + Typically Nonspecific Fake Eurasian Cold War duo of dudes, the later is always the hulking, muscular bruiser. Granted, the former is still the classy posh guy, so that's true, but it's an unexpected reversal nonetheless.

This is one of the few movies in recent memory that has the duo, and pulls the reverse. And I say considering Red Heat is probably one of the better attempts at that formula.

Was interested in this film, but gradually lost interest the more I considered all the other takes on the same formula (both strict spy and more general crime movies) I've seen. With your review I think I'll Redbox it somewhere down the line.

True, but the bigger issue here is how much the script keeps pointing out that the Russian guy is this hulking beast, and Armie Hammer just ain't that guy. He looks more like if Judge Reinhold and Jason Segel had a baby.

• Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    I watched Red Eye this weekend, mainly because I generally find Cillian Murphy very watchable and I was curious how they'd pull off their high concept plot. It's not a very good film (though I don't think it's bad either - it mainly feels like an okayish B thriller from the '90s), but I was surprised by how much I didn't dislike Rachel McAdams (I tend to find her usual aren't-I-cute shtik annoying and nauseating) - and why is it that Murphy doesn't play villains more often?

Red Eye is a really good movie until they get off the plane.

ACsTqqK.jpg
This discussion has been closed.