As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's really weird how Kojima can take even the potentially cool stuff in the Metal Gear Solid series and make them last about 4 times longer than they need to so they end up just being dumb. This combined with all the actually dumb stuff and there's very little from any of the games I actually appreciated as intended. It was completely ridiculous start to finish, and not in a good way.

It was fun watching Drew play through them at least. Maybe now that Kojima is off of the series he can finally go and make that movie he obviously always wanted to make in the first place.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Considering the game spawned from the likes of John Carpenter I strongly doubt it was intended to not be dumb and ridiculous

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    There's nothing Kojima could do that he couldn't overdo.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    On the one hand, Drew really needs to experience Metal Gear: Rising.

On the other hand I have a feeling watching Drew play MGR would be the most frustrating thing in the world.

Like I wonder how long he would make it before someone told him about how ridiculously necessary parrying is, in a way that the game doesn't make clear at all.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Rising is awful, but more importantly, its story is not at all core to the MGS experience, and Drew has an expressed in the past that CAGs are totally not his thing

Hopefully they just never touch it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Rising is awful

Rising is goddamn amazing. How could you possibly not have liked Rising.

As for the rest, yeah I guess. It is outrageously Metal Gear though(You hack a drone by stabbing it with your sword). And it's a goddamn awesome game.

• Options
    I bet Jeff could convince Drew to play through Rising.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I bet Jeff could convince Drew to play through Rising.

I could see it.

"FUCK IT! CUT THAT SHIT!"

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I would watch Metal Gear Scanlon featuring Jeff and Drew.

edit: I guess Dan could be there too, but where would he sit?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Vinnyvania motivated me to make my own run at Castlevania 3, shamelessly abusing save states. Well, semi-shamelessly, no mid-boss-fight saves at least.

I cannot wait for them to hit that final level and its continual stream of hilarious bullshit.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I don't understand someone who looks at the Metal Gear games and says "why doesn't Kojima just make movies?!"

The series may have lots of cutscenes.

But MGS has always been a series that strives to use the medium of video games to tell and enhance the narrative. They are a blend of cinema and gameplay and always have been.

It is one of the biggest examples of how games can do things with narrative that movies simply can't.

Even skipping the obvious examples of things like Mantis, Sorrow, and the microwave hall, pretty much the entirety of MGS2 doesn't work without a player. Thematically, it requires a person at the controls. Ideally, the player is a fan of MGS1.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I don't understand someone who looks at the Metal Gear games and says "why doesn't Kojima just make movies?!"

The series may have lots of cutscenes.

But MGS has always been a series that strives to use the medium of video games to tell and enhance the narrative. They are a blend of cinema and gameplay and always have been.

It is one of the biggest examples of how games can do things with narrative that movies simply can't.

Even skipping the obvious examples of things like Mantis, Sorrow, and the microwave hall, pretty much the entirety of MGS2 doesn't work without a player. Thematically, it requires a person at the controls. Ideally, the player is a fan of MGS1.

Because it's usually said by someone who has never actually played an mgs game and just goes "lol cutscenes"

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Vinnyvania motivated me to make my own run at Castlevania 3, shamelessly abusing save states. Well, semi-shamelessly, no mid-boss-fight saves at least.

I cannot wait for them to hit that final level and its continual stream of hilarious bullshit.

Thankfully the last level is pretty short. I haven't turned my Wii on in a few days, but I still intend to get through it before Vinny does. That last bit before Dracula with the bats + pendulums is going to fuck him over more than a few times.

I made it to Dracula twice and almost beat him. I'll get him soon. They really screw over the player by knocking you back an extra checkpoint when you die at Drac. Apparently the Japanese version had you start right at Dracula, like in Castlevania 1. I guess they decided that was too easy? Jerks.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man, as a kid I remember when they gifted me CV3 they handed me the password for the last level. Oh boy, what an exercise in frustration. Anyways, it sold me on Sypha always as the last boss was soooo easy with Lightning Magic. Come to think of it, I don't know if I can beat Dracula with Trevor at all.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Knowing nothing of Castlevania III before watching Giant Bomb play it, Trevor still just sounds like a joke name Vinny gave the protagonist.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    It was worse when I found out Trevor's japanese name...
    Ralph. Seriously.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »

On the other hand I have a feeling watching Drew play MGR would be the most frustrating thing in the world.

Like I wonder how long he would make it before someone told him about how ridiculously necessary parrying is, in a way that the game doesn't make clear at all.

It takes a while to get the timing on Rising's combat and if you don't get it quickly it can become very frustrating, getting stun locked and being smacked all over the place. It took me a second play through after pushing it a aside to understand the combat.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »

It takes a while to get the timing on Rising's combat and if you don't get it quickly it can become very frustrating, getting stun locked and being smacked all over the place. It took me a second play through after pushing it a aside to understand the combat.

I definitely hope they do something with MGR. It has such a fun attitude that takes MGS's standard silly and ramps it up to 11. God, I can just imagine Drew's reaction to Sundowner's speeches, or shit like grabbing a RAY and throwing it around.

Buuuuuuuut it's still a character action game. Drew doesn't seem into that at all. MGR's story and themes are different enough from MGS and are so separated from the main series that Drew wouldn't be missing too much if he didn't play MGR.

All this said, the future of MGS, while not long, is still bright. I'm looking forward to Drew playing MGSV, as his major complaints about the games seems to almost always be about controls, and he was super happy with how MGS4 played.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Thankfully the last level is pretty short. I haven't turned my Wii on in a few days, but I still intend to get through it before Vinny does. That last bit before Dracula with the bats + pendulums is going to fuck him over more than a few times.

I made it to Dracula twice and almost beat him. I'll get him soon. They really screw over the player by knocking you back an extra checkpoint when you die at Drac. Apparently the Japanese version had you start right at Dracula, like in Castlevania 1. I guess they decided that was too easy? Jerks.

It's the pendulums and the first, "Nope, back to the start," scenario that I'm excited to see. That lead up to Dracula is identical to the original Castlevania, so the expectation is absolutely built in that you'll start in exactly the same spot. I'm surprised they changed it for the U.S. version, would have been more in keeping with the spirit of replicating the original game's castle that the designers were obviously going for.

Early vidya games, what are you gonna do?

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Man, near the end of of the Peacewalker video;
    Drew seems legitimately annoyed that Dan is telling him so much about MGS 5. LIke, he flat out told Dan to stop talking about things that are going to be in 5, and Dan kept going because 'it's all in the trailers and previews, why wouldn't you want to know this stuff?'. I get that Dan just gets really excited about this stuff, and most of the time that's a huge plus, but as someone who likes to go in as fresh as possible with films/games/albums I'm looking forward to, it's a bit annoying.

(Before someone brings it up, I'm not just trying to rag on Dan. I like the guy 95% of the time, and I've really enjoyed this MGS feature, which they wouldn't have done if he weren't there).

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Was a bit of a bummer he spoiled a bit and he apologized during the post credits as well, but I understand it's hard not to spoil certain things when you want to talk about your most favorite thing with someone who just discovered it.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think with the completion of MGS4 Dan kind of thought/thinks that everything is fair game now since Drew is sort of on the same level as far as experiences go. Don't really blame him for being excited about MGS5, it's so close now.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I don't even think Drew played Ground Zeroes yet. So nothing is "fair game", really.

And that doesn't even include the fact that Dan has had decades to ruminate on the series at large, while Drew has had this past year ish. And Dan probably played Portable Ops and read all the wikis.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Crippl3 on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I think with the completion of MGS4 Dan kind of thought/thinks that everything is fair game now since Drew is sort of on the same level as far as experiences go. Don't really blame him for being excited about MGS5, it's so close now.

That's fair. I don't want to seem too negative about it. After all, it does obviously come from a place of enthusiasm and excitement, which are two of the main qualities that have made Dan such a great addition to the site.
    It's a pet peeve of mine, but it's also understandable on his part.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Dan is the puppy that gets too excited and pees on the carpet.

• Options
    GB just posted on Facebook that on August 28th, at Pax, they'll have Mario Party Party 5: Live!

• Options
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be very sad when it does end. Also I went and watched the Ground Zeroes quicklooks and MAN I gotta play that game! ...After Revengeance, because I own that and haven't played it.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wow I thought it would be at least a week or so before they did it.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I would love to see them do the ACID games, I think Drew would enjoy the tactical gameplay and the story is bonkers.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm actually going to dive in to Grand Zeroes this weekend. I've been on a playing shit with a controller kick, and that seems as good as anything else given that I got Phantom Pain free with my new laptop.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Sad:

I believe The Ricker was a guest on Jeff's short-lived Wii Shop update podcast (Nintendownload Express?). Sadly, I never got around to listening to those.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Aren't there some unlocks for Phantom Pain in Ground Zeroes?

Also, I can't make up my mind which platform to play on. I've got pre-orders for PS4 and PC.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Wasn't the Ricker his roommate for a while?

• Options
    Foomy wrote: »
    I would love to see them do the ACID games, I think Drew would enjoy the tactical gameplay and the story is bonkers.

how would they capture video?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Foomy wrote: »

how would they capture video?

Psps from the 2nd model and up have built in video output. And the go can even be contolled with a ds3, so you can sit back like a console.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I still hope they plan to sit on recordings of Drew playing Phantom Pain when it is released for viewing at some future date.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
This discussion has been closed.