As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    edit: ugh site errors double post

Weaver on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    You don't say? :lol:

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ugh these meal moths are driving me insane. We tossed out anything that might be a food source, cleaned our cabinets inside and out, moved all the appliances and cleaned around and under them, and we still have some.

We put out two pheromone traps today, hope that helps, now we're looking at bug bombing and went out and bought a ton of those expensive xox airtight sealing containers

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    most vibrators do not plug in

MOST

dude

hitachi magic wand

broken image link
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    We may have found two places that we really like.

We each prefer one over the other for different reasons, but I may have negotiated for my preference by offering to repaint the accent ceiling, I dunno wtf you'd call it cause it's slightly recessed and it's where they installed the fan and I like that, but it's painted a weird red while the walls are blue

Anyway, bigger place, cheaper rent(compared to other rental), easier traffic access.

Yes please!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Alright, this might sound dumb, but I think the moths are living inside our micowave. Like last night when I put the pheromone traps out they all seemed to be flying from out of the vents on the side of the micowave. So we might need to just toss it out. so far, despite there being a ton of them around, we only have 2 dead in the traps. I'm looting at this Aunt Norma's non toxic spray, I just wish I could go buy it and not have to order it online

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Alright, this might sound dumb, but I think the moths are living inside our micowave. Like last night when I put the pheromone traps out they all seemed to be flying from out of the vents on the side of the micowave. So we might need to just toss it out. so far, despite there being a ton of them around, we only have 2 dead in the traps. I'm looting at this Aunt Norma's non toxic spray, I just wish I could go buy it and not have to order it online

Maybe put it outside for a while if you can and see if that reduces the population inside the house? At least that way you'll know before spending anything on a new one.

• Options
    Applied for a rent house!

Separate applications for married couples are bullshit!

I wish I could pay in person so I could wipe my ass with $55 first before handing it over!

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

MOST

dude

hitachi magic wand

electric-jackhammer.gif

• Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    I need to put my accommodation preferences for uni, it's trickier than I thought. If I pick a nursing student flat it's likely going to be with teenage girls. If I go for mixed accommodation they may not realise how important sleep is while doing shift work when I'm on placement. As far as I'm aware I only do placement from April in my first year so it's only a couple of months, but sleep deprivation due to noise from drunk students will make me a very grumpy lady.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    So I think we've decided where we will put in an application for our place.

It's our second choice, but our first choice is like $400 more a month so...

• Options
    Sassori wrote: »

Please don't make me drive outside the beltway.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

MOST

dude

hitachi magic wand

electric-jackhammer.gif

It's all fun and games until the attachment falls off and you're damaging your insides.

I shudder every time I think of that story.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular

It's around the corner from where we are now. You'll be fine. Unless you wanted to kick out one of your neighbors at your complex?

• Options

It's around the corner from where we are now. You'll be fine. Unless you wanted to kick out one of your neighbors at your complex?

Excellent!

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Gross out bug stories from my new apartment, spoiled for those who hate roaches
    I just moved in last tuesday. New carpet in the place, which is really nice, but it's very clearly an old building. It got good reviews in general online, so hopefully I've just gotten unlucky and the previous tenants were awful or something.

Regardless, the kitchen is infested with little bitty roaches. I've seen two dead ones inside the refrigerator, and you don't even want to know what the oreos box I left on top of the fridge for a few days looked like.

I left a sandwich out for maybe 10, 15 minutes on my computer table and a roach appeared on it too, so it isn't even just the kitchen. Seen 2 crawling along the walls today.

Given the age of the building, I don't know how useful an exterminator would be, and since my service request was completed and closed with an hour of being made, without an change to the notes or response, I doubt the facility itself will do anything.

Practically, the food thing makes little difference. I can get ziplock bags for everything, since I only plan on eating sandwiches as that's all I can afford.

Mostly I'm worried about my myriad of electronics, because these are absolutely the kind of bugs who would love to snuggle up to the warmth of a computer or ps4. I've only got a lease for a year, and can give 60 days notice with no repercussions, but I super don't want to carry a nest of bugs inside my consoles or computer to any new residence.

It has been a huge bummer because I was so excited about the place, and now I don't even want to eat anything much less enjoy my new freedom.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The dead roaches are more worrisome than the live ones. Live ones aren't all that dirty, besides being unwanted anywhere near food, but the corpses of roaches dissolve into a fine powder that causes severe respiratory problems.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Gross out bug stories from my new apartment, spoiled for those who hate roaches
    I just moved in last tuesday. New carpet in the place, which is really nice, but it's very clearly an old building. It got good reviews in general online, so hopefully I've just gotten unlucky and the previous tenants were awful or something.

Regardless, the kitchen is infested with little bitty roaches. I've seen two dead ones inside the refrigerator, and you don't even want to know what the oreos box I left on top of the fridge for a few days looked like.

I left a sandwich out for maybe 10, 15 minutes on my computer table and a roach appeared on it too, so it isn't even just the kitchen. Seen 2 crawling along the walls today.

Given the age of the building, I don't know how useful an exterminator would be, and since my service request was completed and closed with an hour of being made, without an change to the notes or response, I doubt the facility itself will do anything.

Practically, the food thing makes little difference. I can get ziplock bags for everything, since I only plan on eating sandwiches as that's all I can afford.

Mostly I'm worried about my myriad of electronics, because these are absolutely the kind of bugs who would love to snuggle up to the warmth of a computer or ps4. I've only got a lease for a year, and can give 60 days notice with no repercussions, but I super don't want to carry a nest of bugs inside my consoles or computer to any new residence.

It has been a huge bummer because I was so excited about the place, and now I don't even want to eat anything much less enjoy my new freedom.

I had a similar problem in one of my old apartments and it only took one spraying plus putting out a couple of roach motels to get them under control, so it's not hopeless.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Yeah. Another reason i'm very concerned about my electronics. I've worked in computer repair long enough to see some gross computers come in, but it typically requires a very large infestation for electronics not related to food consumption (ie microwaves, which I won't be getting now) to be affected. So, I am hopeful in that respect. Anything else I can live it.

The worst thing honestly is my kitchen no longer feels like my own, and I was so very much looking forward to my own kitchen and being able to cook as I wanted. But it might as well be sectioned off now, as I'll probably keep all non-perishables in ziplock bags in my room now.
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I had a similar problem in one of my old apartments and it only took one spraying plus putting out a couple of roach motels to get them under control, so it's not hopeless.

Did you use a professional or just buy a spray youself?

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    We used a professional, contracted by the rental company. I'd say check your local renting laws about whether you or the landlord are responsible for dealing with an existing infestation.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I'd make another request of your building, and if you have a direct email address you can include some pictures which seems to put a fire under their ass more than anything (as well as the traceable times/dates of contact). Roaches sound terrible but honestly aren't as difficult to deal with, especially if you stay relatively clean they will leave your apartment for easier pickings. But it does mean no leaving food out for ten or fifteen minutes unattended on a table.

• Options
    Thanks for the assurances, all. I've dealt with bugs, and certainly roaches, before, but never with this many at once. It doesn't help that I've only ever had palmetto bugs before, which are huge, but much less likely to be found in multiple numbers inside an oreos box. Somehow the smaller ones are creeping me out more atm, even if they're much easier to pick up and throw in the toilet.

I miss the cool looking house centipedes from my old place who kept vigil against roaches and flies. It sounds weird and probably is but it was a reassurance to see one of those things crawl across the wall once a week or so.

I'll physically go to the office itself probably before work tomorrow and see if they can do anything. If not, I'll probably try to budget for a professional to come in. Now it's time to go buy big ass ziplock bags

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The most annoying bugs I've ever had to deal with was a swarm of flying somethings after I found, and disturbed, a sack of potatoes that went rotten way faster than I thought. That was solved though when I bought a small bug light and my evenings became a steady stream of snap-crackle-pop until they all died off without their food source.

• Options
    @Cilla Black I imagine it's a building problem, but like everybody said, the bait stations can go a long way.

Couple in the kitchen, behind the refrigerator, one in the bathroom, one or two in a corner of each room depending on size, maybe on top of a cabinet in the kitchen? Spraying along the baseboards will be good too.

Obviously not much you can do about your neighbors, because if you got them your neighbors likely do, so I would ask if they have any issues.

Management is more likely to do something if a bunch of tenants have issues and raise a ruckus.

Good luck!

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    My sister is dealing with this in the unit she just moved into. She's caulked up every nook and cranny (and gone so far as to plug up the unused power sockets with kiddie protectors). Then she coated the entire place with diatomaceous earth (which you should check out!). And then I think she's gotten management to spray the place on top of it as well. It's gone down from a horrifying 50 roaches in the first night (oh dear god) to no new sightings in two weeks.

However, she did have the luxury of moving in with us for those two weeks so that they starved/tore themselves to pieces on the diatomaceous earth.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Cheap Roach solutions: boric acid, will be some sort of antibroach powder at your home depot equivalent. Also harris roach tablets. Both use boric acid, which is nice because they run through it, and it slowly punches holes in their she'll, giving them time to go groom each other, some eggs, etc all spreading the powder around. And it's pretty darn safe for pets and humans. Just don't eat it, don't let your pet lick at it too much. Works wonders, put the tablets under stuff, spread a line of powder anywhere you think they will cross. You will be cleaning up bodies, of course.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Or you could get a whole mess of Huntsman spiders and let them loose in the apartment. They'll clean up the roaches pretty quickly.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Also acceptable. I really really just hate roaches. I am cool with spider bro in the corner of my bathroom, he looks out for me.

• Options
    Yay, the apartment people sent an exterminator in this morning! I wish they'd have let me know, as I had to quickly hide some uh things, but I was happy they'd done so. Gunna pick up my vacuum cleaner and some roach motels after work today. Hopefully it'll work. He was pretty thorough.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    If you have things that shouldn't be in public view, hide them when you're out, regardless of expected company, as you never know who could be the next person in your apt. if you get injured or something.

• Options
    whoa just stepped out on the balcony and saw a dead yellow jacket on the ground. Look up, spot two big nests, one small.

Best go get some bug spray, WD-40 ain't cut out for this job. But it will work in a pinch, if y'all ever in need of something to kill stinging fliers.

Also, when spraying wasps, the best time to do it is dawn / dusk when they're all home and least active, and DO NOT slam the door or start any sort of lawn equipment. Vibrations drive them crazy.

That's why you should also check underneath the deck on mowers and stuff before you crank it.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Or you have your drunk redneck friend decide to shoot the hives with 410 #4 birdshot.

You just want to stand way the fuck away from him. Preferably behind something solid.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    If you have things that shouldn't be in public view, hide them when you're out, regardless of expected company, as you never know who could be the next person in your apt. if you get injured or something.

Yeah. Nothing illegal but definitely stuff I would be really embarrassed about/don't want people to know about yet.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Yeah. Nothing illegal but definitely stuff I would be really embarrassed about/don't want people to know about yet.

Pfft, no need to be ashamed of your David Hasselhoff shrine! He's a pretty big star in Germany!

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    My lease is up in January, which means I give notice in November, which means I'm starting to look for a new place now since it's almost September.

Kinda annoyed that I have to renew my MD registration right before I move, because I'll probably wind up in VA and have to re-do it anyway.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Paid security and pet deposit today!

Thank goodness that's all done with. Just 1st month's rent when we move in a month.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Pfft, no need to be ashamed of your David Hasselhoff shrine! He's a pretty big star in Germany!

Seriously, Hoff-Lovers are a protected class now.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    so it's been 17 days since a big chunk crumbled out of our wall due to water damage, maintenance came out and looked at it and came with a plan to fix it, no word on when that'll actually be done. emailed them two days ago to ask for a timeline, absolutely no response at all. go to see if I can comment on their facebook page in the hopes that maybe THAT will get me some notice and not only have they disabled comments on their facebook page but their own leasing agent gave them a five star rating "because this doesn't seem very balanced"
    jesus fucking christ

also I've been emailing them about the clearly apparent water damage behind the wall for three months, it's not new, it's just the literal chunk falling out of the wall that's new. the stains and bubbling paint have been there quite some time

cabsy on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »
    so it's been 17 days since a big chunk crumbled out of our wall due to water damage, maintenance came out and looked at it and came with a plan to fix it, no word on when that'll actually be done. emailed them two days ago to ask for a timeline, absolutely no response at all. go to see if I can comment on their facebook page in the hopes that maybe THAT will get me some notice and not only have they disabled comments on their facebook page but their own leasing agent gave them a five star rating "because this doesn't seem very balanced"
    jesus fucking christ

also I've been emailing them about the clearly apparent water damage behind the wall for three months, it's not new, it's just the literal chunk falling out of the wall that's new. the stains and bubbling paint have been there quite some time

That sounds like something the Housing Services/Authority would like to hear about.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    cabsy wrote: »
    jesus fucking christ

That sounds like something the Housing Services/Authority would like to hear about.

I talked to maintenance again today (unrelatedly as I was trying to put my blind up and it snapped in half and scared the shit outta me) and he said the apartment manager called him to talk about scheduling and asked if she had got in touch with me and I said no
    like... I don't understand why they don't just respond to emails?? it would placate me so much if they would just even say "we're pricing out the repair"? this building is nearly 100 years old I know there's gonna be issues that are a long term complicated fix but at least say something

This discussion has been closed.