As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

windows 10

i recently received the offer for a free update from windows 7 to windows 10. i was thinking about accepting, but then i started to read reviews that there are ads all over the place, that it sucks up bandwidth and does all sorts of things in the background that i may not like.

i am a very private person and i run a very lean pc. i hate it when programs hijack my cpu or use my personal information to sell me things. i want to know if this is really a serious problem on windows 10 or if some of these reviews i've read are just from petty people. additionally, i'd love to know if there are ways to adjust settings so that i can maintain strict control over my pc and my personal information.

does anyone have windows 10 and if so, would they mind sharing some relevant experiences? i would especially be interested in differences between windows 7 and 10, but obviously any discussion is welcome.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I think you may want the Technology Tavern subforum.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I'm the same as you on this sort of thing.

You have an entire year to decide whether or not to accept the free upgrade so if I were you I would just wait and take stock in the state of Windows 10 after a year, see if there are any major issues with it, if MS backtracks on some of the policies they're instituting, if people discover it's worse than we think, etc.

If you're happy with your OS and its speed and all, there's no reason to upgrade any earlier than you have to.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    thanks cb. i didn't even know there was a tech tavern subforum. i'll check there.

will probably wait a bit at least, but i hate having it sit there. wish i could just make a decision now and cross one more thing off my to-do list.

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    There are no ads all over the place. There are ads in Solitaire, a free game. It's the same version that was on Win 8, also with a banner ad, and I believe only when playing online challenges.

It doesn't suck up bandwidth. It will download and auto-install updates, like Windows used to do before, but this time it's mandatory. You can't really choose when to download and update. If bandwidth is a concern, there's an option to set up Metered Connections.

Privacy issues, not really. Everything like that is opt-in (if you're concerned, don't pick Express Settings when installing). The sharing of WiFi networks is misunderstood and overblown, and you need to opt-in for that anyway.

Go ahead and upgrade, see if you like it. You can always roll back to Windows 7 from the Win 10 settings. And that way it will secure and register your copy of 10 for the future.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Last I checked (Maybe pressure forced them to change already?)( all the privacy invading big brother Orwellian shit was opt out, not opt in, and the options to disable (or even hint at their existence) buried deep. Also it does suck up bandwidth because it basically uses your PC to seed updates to people who've not yet downloaded, so you get your bandwidth used up instead of microsofts

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Last I checked (Maybe pressure forced them to change already?)( all the privacy invading big brother Orwellian shit was opt out, not opt in, and the options to disable (or even hint at their existence) buried deep. Also it does suck up bandwidth because it basically uses your PC to seed updates to people who've not yet downloaded, so you get your bandwidth used up instead of microsofts

all of that is in the options to install.
    as long as you don't blindly accept the default install options you can change everysingle thing you mention

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Windows 10 kinda has a "ain't broke" problem going on. Yeah it's a big improvement on Windows 8, but the luddites that didn't want 8 still don't want 10, no matter how un-busted it is.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Most people didn't want Windows 8 because it was a tablet OS forced to work on desktop, and by the time they unfucked it most people that would have been interested long since gave up on it.

The privacy nightmare with 10 is probably going to keep people away, too, regardless of its status as free to most people.

Hardly luddite behavior.

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular

Its literally a three step process to turn the update sharing feature off. It took about 10 seconds.

I have it on my Surface 3 Pro, and it seems like it kept the good stuff from 8 while returning the good stuff from 7, and integrated Cortana in some nifty ways.

Then again, I'm one of 7 people on earth who has a Windows Phone, so I may be an outlier.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Most people didn't want Windows 8 because it was a tablet OS forced to work on desktop, and by the time they unfucked it most people that would have been interested long since gave up on it.

The privacy nightmare with 10 is probably going to keep people away, too, regardless of its status as free to most people.

Hardly luddite behavior.

It was a tablet interface replacing the start menu and otherwise difficult to tell apart from 7.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

ha no it won't

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

ha no it won't

He didn't say everyone, he just said people. Which is accurate. It's keeping me away at the moment, I'm sure while there's much we can turn off there are bound to be things embedded more deeply that we can't.

Some of it is probably fearmongering, some of it is possibly legit. All that matters is that we have a year to decide if we want it free or not, and can wait with no real consequences.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    10 in my short test of it booted up faster, used less resources and was just generally better. Multi screen switching like Linux, Searching is up to par with all other OSs finally, Start menu was well done. Solid OS. I downgraded back to 8 because I had driver issues and some old games that didnt work. But after downgrading I think those issues were mainly because of an upgrade from an old system.

There is an option to downgrade back to original OS right in the Updates screen. Not sure if it works with 7 but it did with 8. So try it out if it does... if you dont like it downgrade back.

To me the anti-orwellian argument is null in this day and age. Apple, Microsoft, Google... they all do it and they all make you opt out. If it is important enough for you to care about it then you will find the settings.

Note: I had no problem with 8 Tile interface. I actually got around that faster than the start menu because of the better search in 8 over 7, of which 10 is a jump over 8, and tile organizing is just plain easier to use. And, honestly, who doesnt pin to taskbar these days? Really....

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I like being able to say hey cortana open notepad

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Can I say just how much I hate that argument? the "Well its a stupid thing to be worried about because everyone else does it to!" response to privacy concerns. Just because its the big boys have all been allowed to do it by lazy consumers doesn't mean its a thing that we should just lay down and accept.

Its an argument that's so stupid that you literally cant use it on any other subject without sounding like a dolt, so that's good grounds to think maybe its not a good argument to have when it comes to companies invading your privacy at what is the deepest roots of your digital life.
    for the record not calling you stupid, Jubal, or insulting you in any way, I just really find that argument (and its been the only fucking argument I've seen in the pro-windows side since this shit came out) astoundingly poor.

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Hardly luddite behavior.

It was a tablet interface replacing the start menu and otherwise difficult to tell apart from 7.

There was also the tablet like apps being separate from your desktop. That was a huge issue for multi-taskers. That's thankfully fixed in 10.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Can I say just how much I hate that argument? the "Well its a stupid thing to be worried about because everyone else does it to!" response to privacy concerns. Just because its the big boys have all been allowed to do it by lazy consumers doesn't mean its a thing that we should just lay down and accept.

Its an argument that's so stupid that you literally cant use it on any other subject without sounding like a dolt, so that's good grounds to think maybe its not a good argument to have when it comes to companies invading your privacy at what is the deepest roots of your digital life.
    for the record not calling you stupid, Jubal, or insulting you in any way, I just really find that argument (and its been the only fucking argument I've seen in the pro-windows side since this shit came out) astoundingly poor.

Its fine. I realize it is a hot topic for a lot of people. For me I think if they want to look into my boring ass life... well go ahead heh. But the argument is sound it is just contradictory to yours. It is apathetic sure but it is still a valid argument to have. The options are there to disable it so if it is important to you just do it. I didn't necessarily say it was stupid to be worried about it I said if you want to disable it you will find out how anyways. Again I see it is important to you but spare me the spoilered part. It is obvious it means what it means.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »

as long as you don't blindly accept the default install options you can change everysingle thing you mention

There needs to be instructions on this as it seems like while some things are options in the install, others are not, and it IS hard to find the settings.

I am on the cusp of updating, as I have some outside need to therefore I cannot sit and wait. But I am afraid of everything I am hearing. There is even issues that sometimes come up with trying to go back to your old OS. Some people cannot do this successfully (though I hear creating a restore point before you upgrade works).

• Options
    You're not getting windows 10 for free, you're paying for it by allowing Microsoft to look at your patterns and figure out better ways to one day advertise to you or people like you.

For me that's a fine trade (especially since, who looks at ads?). It's the same trade I made with google to have a free google apps domain, etc

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Its fine. I realize it is a hot topic for a lot of people. For me I think if they want to look into my boring ass life... well go ahead heh. But the argument is sound it is just contradictory to yours. It is apathetic sure but it is still a valid argument to have. The options are there to disable it so if it is important to you just do it. I didn't necessarily say it was stupid to be worried about it I said if you want to disable it you will find out how anyways. Again I see it is important to you but spare me the spoilered part. It is obvious it means what it means.

Anger at the message doesn't mean theres anger with the messenger, but you're free to think what you want.

• Options
    You're not getting windows 10 for free, you're paying for it by allowing Microsoft to look at your patterns and figure out better ways to one day advertise to you or people like you.

For me that's a fine trade (especially since, who looks at ads?). It's the same trade I made with google to have a free google apps domain, etc

But if you pay for it you get the same thing?

I'd gladly pay for a copy without all the phoning home and the creepy license that allows them to disable software on your machine etc.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »

There needs to be instructions on this as it seems like while some things are options in the install, others are not, and it IS hard to find the settings.

I am on the cusp of updating, as I have some outside need to therefore I cannot sit and wait. But I am afraid of everything I am hearing. There is even issues that sometimes come up with trying to go back to your old OS. Some people cannot do this successfully (though I hear creating a restore point before you upgrade works).
    what?
    you click on settings
    then you click on privacy
    it defaults to the general tab where you can immediately turn off 4 privacy options and then click "mange my microsoft advertising and other personalization info" and then turn off 2 more things through a browser

It's like.. 2 clicks and not hidden at all

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular

what?
    you click on settings
    it defaults to the general tab where you can immediately turn off 4 privacy options and then click "mange my microsoft advertising and other personalization info" and then turn off 2 more things through a browser

Do you really not understand why some people are put off by these things being on by default in the first place?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

what?
    you click on settings

Do you really not understand why some people are put off by these things being on by default in the first place?

It's 2015, its getting tracked anyway. Just take a second to turn it off.

• Options

what?
    you click on settings

but.. when you install windows it asks to have them on, like as part of the setup process

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

I'd gladly pay for a copy without all the phoning home and the creepy license that allows them to disable software on your machine etc.

Dude, no offense, but you are on the internet. You have no privacy. Everything you've ever done with telecommunications since the late 1970s has been recorded and saved by them. This isn't crazy conspiracy stuff either. My dad worked on the database design for AT&T that was originally used to track all this stuff. It started out as a way to prevent people from cheating on long distance phone calls, and just kept expanding from there.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    SteveRageSteveRage Registered User regular
    the only real issue i had with win 10 (on my laptop) is that it kept downloading the wrong drivers for my trackpad, making it impossible to turn off with the alt key combo. so i had to uninstall the elan drivers. then windows would install them again a day or two later. so i download a tool from microsoft that would allow you to "hide" an update or driver to keep windows from installing it. windows installed it anyway. so i told windows that my internet connection was metered and it won't download drivers any more. yay.

any time a program takes the decisions out of a users hands, it annoys me. i understand the decision to make updates mandatory in order to guarantee safety and security, but i do not appreciate my computer doing things i do not want it to do.

-in warframe (pc), i am fungible-
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Dude, no offense, but you are on the internet. You have no privacy. Everything you've ever done with telecommunications since the late 1970s has been recorded and saved by them. This isn't crazy conspiracy stuff either. My dad worked on the database design for AT&T that was originally used to track all this stuff. It started out as a way to prevent people from cheating on long distance phone calls, and just kept expanding from there.

That's another subject entirely. I was replying to the idea that sharing our data is a payment for getting Windows 10 free. It's not, because you can buy it on its own, and it still includes all the same stuff.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

That's another subject entirely. I was replying to the idea that sharing our data is a payment for getting Windows 10 free. It's not, because you can buy it on its own, and it still includes all the same stuff.

And what I'm telling you is that all of that data has been shared and stored since the 1970s, its just that now you actually know about it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    And what I'm telling you is that all of that data has been shared and stored since the 1970s, its just that now you actually know about it.

Windows Vista secretly seeded updates in the background to other users? Windows XP had a license clause that allowed them to remotely disable software on your machine?

All this stuff that people are telling others to turn off in Windows setup was on by default in all previous Windows versions, and we didn't know about it?

Come on.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Some people just don't care until it personally affects them.

To put it another way, all these extra open doors into your OS for privacy destroying shit and ad delievering? I cant imagine its hard for people even less reputable than Microsoft to exploit them.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Windows Vista secretly seeded updates in the background to other users? Windows XP had a license clause that allowed them to remotely disable software on your machine?

All this stuff that people are telling others to turn off in Windows setup was on by default in all previous Windows versions, and we didn't know about it?

Come on.
    it doesn't secretly seed updates? by default it seeds updates to other users on your home network, which can be turned off, or you can flip it to seed updates to everyone in the world

but yes, seeeecreeets

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Enc wrote: »

what?
    you click on settings

It's 2015, its getting tracked anyway. Just take a second to turn it off.

I don't think I could properly put into words how much I dislike this point of view.

• Options

"It's been happening for a while" isn't really a great defense of something.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Hey so, if you have Professional, you upgrade to Win 10 Pro instead of regular Windows 10. Then you don't get Candy Crush!

Although it's really easy to remove it. Honestly, the UI upgrade is pretty great, and I really do like hitting the windows key and typing my program, though of course you can do that with apps in older versions and such.

As for the privacy stuff, definitely turn it off. It's not that hard to do, especially if you do it during installation. There are still a few things left, but if you go to google and throw "windows 10 privacy" in there or anything similar, you'll get 100 very detailed guides on how to turn EVERYTHING you don't want off. It's DX12 compatible, has a smaller footprint than previous versions, and seems fairly bug free in comparison to other OS launches. I'd recommend it in general, but turn that weird stuff off.

Oh, and make a local account, not a Microsoft account if you're concerned. Can't use Cortana that way, but meh. Also, you can roll back to your old OS after you upgrade if you end up hating it. There's a button somewhere that lets you do that for the first 30 days. Otherwise your hard drive will free up some space after that deleting the old OS.

edit: And if you're really really really concerned, just wait a few more months and there will be a bunch of tools to do it automatically or even easier guides. Or microsoft will remove stuff after the backlash, but probably not. There's no games that really take advantage of DX12 as of yet as far as I know, although I did get a performance boost on my machine with Skyrim.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    personally, I'm waiting until the bitter end to upgrade (from 7) to 10. Ten doesn't seem like a huge upgrade over seven in any meaningful usability/performance areas, and might as well wait and see more reviews and/or the first service pack in the meantime.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Right now, I've only got one concern with Windows 10:

I wish I could find out why the reservation for my primary desktop hasn't popped yet (or, at least have an estimated reservation fulfillment date). Primary has been reserved about a day after the "Get Windows 10" button showed up...but my guest desktop got upgraded yesterday after being reserved for a hair over two weeks (and my failing laptop also got the upgrade option three weeks ago).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I almost want to not upgrade until it's completely unfeasible to be on 7 out of principle over freemium Solitaire.

Because what the actual fuck.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I wish I could find out why the reservation for my primary desktop hasn't popped yet (or, at least have an estimated reservation fulfillment date). Primary has been reserved about a day after the "Get Windows 10" button showed up...but my guest desktop got upgraded yesterday after being reserved for a hair over two weeks (and my failing laptop also got the upgrade option three weeks ago).
    Have you got all the updates for your primary?

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Have you got all the updates for your primary?

Yup. That was the first thing I checked.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |