As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Source for a story on manners/politeness

Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark faceRegistered User regular
I recall reading about a story somewhere on the internets about a poor person that visits with some well off noble or royal person. They are having a fancy lunch and the poor person has never used utensils before so he eats the salad with his hands. The host, not wanting to offend/call attention to the visitor's lack of knowledge, proceeds to eat the rest of his meal with his hands as well. Something like that.

I've searched on Google several times with no luck finding a source/link for this. Can anyone help? Did I just completely make it all up?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Sounds like Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion, or something based upon that work. Oh wait.. no if I recall in Pygmalion the tutor educates the girl on manners, refinement class etc.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Yeah, I looked it up and I don't think that's it. Thanks though!

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    You didn't make it up because I remember it too, but uh... no luck on Google so far...

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It definitely sounds familiar to me too, like a fable or something I heard once. Almost like one of the excerpts from The Way of Kings in the book of the same name.

steam_sig.png